One-Hour-Old Newborn Dumped In Bag Outside Firehouse — How Sad!

Wed, April 27, 2011 3:15pm EDT by 5 Comments

Swaddled in towels, the baby was left with this heartbreaking note thought to be from the pleading mother!

A firefighter found a newborn girl on a bench outside his Florida fire station after a woman called to say that a child was abandoned on a bench outside the fire station.

Stephen Beane, who discovered the baby in a bag and wrapped in towels, thinks that the call came from the mother, who probably also left a note with the child that reads “‘Please find her a good home. I’m sorry, thank you. Birth Mom. Born April 21, 2011 7:15am.”

Stephen took the call when he started his day for the St. Lucie County Fire District, the Palm Beach Post reports. “Lady’s voice on there said that she was concerned about a bag that was in front of the building. I asked her who she was and she said, ‘I just happened to be driving by and saw a bag there and I was concerned about it.'”

Firefighters snipped the girl’s umbilical cord and they called police and paramedics. The baby was examined a a local hospital and miraculously was found be just fine!

She awaits adoptive parents. Under Florida’s law, moms or dads of a newborn up to seven days old can leave the child at a hospital, fire rescue station or emergency medical services facility without facing charges.

We hope this baby girl finds a wonderful home after getting a rough start in life.

mommy me

Posted at 12:11 AM on May 10, 2011

I could take in the reason the mother left her baby that way, because she had no means of caring for the baby and instead of killing or throwing away, she did what she thought was the best. But as a mother myself, I couldn’t understand why you’d go around getting sex as easy as pie, then when responsibility comes, don’t know how to care for the little angel? stupid woman, stupid law!!

Chelse

Posted at 7:50 PM on May 7, 2011

As a mother my self, I give credit to this woman. She obviously knew she couldn’t handle raising a child and instead of doing something terrible, like so many do, she gave the child up. She even called the station to make sure the baby wasn’t just left to be discovered. It’s sad to think this woman had to do this, but she protected the baby the only way she could fathom at the time.

ANONYMOUS

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 27, 2011

I live in the town where this happened, this story is horribly written. So many women either kill, neglect, or abuse their kids because they are unwanted. This mom should be proud of what she did for this child. I do think that she should have at least given birth in a hospital but in our town there is a law that states that any child can be left at a fire or police station with no questions asked. Thank god this mom actually followed the law and gave this child a chance at life.

Anonymous

Posted at 4:39 PM on April 27, 2011

Florida having the seven day law is a perfect excuse for unprotected sex. Oops! Got pregnant! Have the child and pass the responsibility to someone else. Next!

theresa

Posted at 1:33 AM on May 26, 2011

I agree with anonymous and chelse!