'Glee' Recap — Can We Please Give Naya Rivera An Emmy? She Certainly Outshone Lady Gaga!

Tue, April 26, 2011 9:35pm EST by 34 Comments

It was all about Jane Lynch and Matthew Morrison in the beginning, then Lea Michele and Chris Colfer, but the best thing ‘Glee’ has done this season is highlight Heather Morris and the truly, truly Emmy worthy Naya — who made the much hyped Lady Gaga episode HER show!

Awards mean nothing to actors, just ask them! But after a season of recaps and endless praise it has become so clear that of every supporting female actor on a television comedy, my sincere, sincere apologies Jane Krakowski, Brie Larson, Julie Bowen, Gleek Heather Morris and Kaitlin Olson, Naya Rivera deserves an Emmy for her equally heartbreaking and hysterical work on Glee.

So often on television the lesbian plotline goes the way of objectification, but not on Glee. Rather, this week, we got to see a show follow through and show a confused young girl not turning her lesbianism into a punchline. What a remarkably refreshing concept!

Much credit must be given to the producers, who I have at times attacked for their seemingly calculated representations of diversity on the show, for developing the character of Santana perfectly. How lucky for them too that an actress as talented as Naya, and this girl is truly talented, is bringing the character to life. Santana’s talk with Karofsky (Max Adler) managed to be both funny and so spot on. Of course the popular teen sexpot would want to hide her sexuality behind a fake relationship while still yearning to find a means to express herself.

It is during episodes like this that the song and dance of Glee becomes almost tedious. Very few teen shows delve this deep into actual teen angst, My So Called Life is one of the few that comes to mind, but when Glee does it right it is remarkable. As much as Kurt’s (Chris Colfer) journey was deemed so lovely and applauded, it is Santana who is truly fascinating. Here is a young gay character who is hiding, but at the same time not the outcast. She is actually able to control her image on some superficial level, while still grappling with her hidden emotions.

So much more of the episode was wonderful, but as much as I would love to talk about it I prefer not to take away from the simple fact that this was, in basically two brief scenes — including Brittany’s (Heather Morris) support of Santana — Glee‘s best episode ever. Let all the bullies watch this! Even the scene between Kurt and Karofsky was great, but still not as real and accurate as the one between Santana and Karofsky. We’ve all been through high school so we all know this is true. And I in no way buy Santana’s claimed devious motives to be prom queen for her actions.

Did I mention I forgot this was the “Lady Gaga” episode?

Do you agree Naya is Emmy worthy HollywoodLifers? You best agree as, just like Santana: “The only straight I am is a straight up b***h.”

-Chris Spargo

Me

Posted at 2:29 PM on May 31, 2011

Naya was fantastic on the episode but how did she outshine Gaga? The episode wasn’t even a themed one. They sang ONE of Gaga’s songs and only said her name twice. The episode was centered around self love and acceptance not actually Gaga

Hi

Posted at 1:31 AM on June 3, 2011

It was hyped as THE Gaga episode thus…

Anyway, Emmy discussions are finally here. Fingers/arms/legs/toes/eyes-crossed for her to at least get a nomination. She DESERVES it.

xn

Posted at 9:45 AM on May 30, 2011

Naya is a very good actress and she has a great voice! She’s simply the best!

Oh by the way, she’s so hot too!

GleeViewier

Posted at 3:49 PM on May 20, 2011

Any average singer can do covers of Lady Gaga Really.

Me

Posted at 2:27 PM on May 31, 2011

Se didn’t even sing the Gaga song so…..

Rika

Posted at 12:56 AM on May 13, 2011

YESSSSS A BILLON TIMES YES… NAYA IS WONDERFUL, I LOVE HER, SHE A GREAT ACTRESS, ALSO HEATHER IS A GREAT SUPPORTIVE ACTRESS, THEY WORK THE BEST TOGETHER, THEY BOTH SHOULD GET AWARD FOR THE THEIR AMAZING WORK, I LOVE NAYA, I LOVE HEATHER, I LOVE GLEE…

Donna

Posted at 10:20 PM on May 12, 2011

Rivera is wonderful. As simple as that.
Amazing actress and singer.

AV

Posted at 8:16 PM on May 12, 2011

Naya Rivera deserves all the goddamn awards! EVERY episode after “Sexy” had me in tears, there’s something so perfect about her portrayal that moves, I can’t quite put my finger on it. I am truly proud to have her represent us in the queer community, lol I can’t begin to articulate further than that because my brain will explode. She is a gift, and I wish this character was around when I was in high school trying to find my way through it. I love you Naya Rivera. <3

Nanan

Posted at 5:28 AM on April 29, 2011

This Naya… I mean Gaga episode was the best episode so far! I don’t really know how but even straight guys fell for it. Cheers for Naya on that part. She really did it. So I do really think she deserves an award. If she can’t make it to Emmy, I’m sure GLAAD is already there to catch her…
Hey, not mentioning HEATHER. She also deserves an award for acting like a big stupid bicurious gal. She’s also good at it… and HOT!

pozo

Posted at 3:19 AM on April 29, 2011

This was the gaga episode??? Oops, completely missed out on that since it was taken over by the awesomeness that is Santana!!!! It was brilliant!! and together with the ‘Sexy’ episode, the best episodes of Glee. Ever. She made the epi. The rest was great, but she just overpowered everything else. From her unrequited love for Britt angst, to her seemingly contradictory ‘acceptance’ of her own ‘denial’ as a lesbian, to her total world domination attitude despite her closeted insecurities, her whole gay trivia with karowski tied up with the bullying issue, her initial speech on being honest about self-image hangup. All that done with a perfect and complex mix of raw emotion, fierceliaciousness and hilarity…..AMAAAAZING!!! give her like 20 emmy’s please!!

Jess

Posted at 2:23 AM on April 29, 2011

Santana is now one of my favorite characters. It happened so fast. I always liked her and Brittany, but once I saw depth and vulnerability, I was obsessed. To finally see what she was overcompensating for, because bullies are always overcompensating for something, I felt compassion and instantly started rooting for her. I knew girls like her in high school. Hell, I still know girls like her. After every episode, Naya’s singing, acting and beauty just leave me thinking that this girl is perfection.

AS

Posted at 1:42 AM on April 29, 2011

NAYA deserves every award in the universe! She is amazing!

Mony

Posted at 12:31 AM on April 29, 2011

Naya is awesome!! Kurt is fantastic, but it’s time to give someone else time to shine!

Nino

Posted at 11:55 PM on April 28, 2011

NaYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA<33333333333333333333

mary

Posted at 7:00 PM on April 28, 2011

naya is amazing in my opinion the best actor on glee, followed by lea and chris

NAYAAA <3333

Jenny

Posted at 2:46 AM on April 28, 2011

Mr. Spargo, Thank you so much for acknowledging the ubertalented Naya Rivera. I agree that this was, by far, the best episdoe of Glee to date and Santana did steal the spotlight. Naya Rivera has a complete grasp of her character; watching Santana’s evolution from Quinn’s devious sidekick into a full-fledged head bitch on campus and closted lesbian has been a marvel to watch. It is her innate talent that made a two-bit background character into a wonderful supporting actress. I hope that the next time around, she will recieve the riches she deserves come Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

_fan

Posted at 3:21 PM on April 27, 2011

naya is by far the most talented triple threat on the show. she simply MUST win an emmy!

Denise W

Posted at 3:57 PM on April 27, 2011

I second that!!

Denise

Posted at 1:22 PM on April 27, 2011

Yes please. She needs to be recognized as the amazing talent she is, who seems to put her heart, body and soul into her character. She rattles off lines as if they were her own thoughts and feelings, complete with body motions and facial expressions. I don’t feel like I’m watching a character, I feel like I am in the hallway, or the classroom sitting beside a genuine person.

Nicola Clark

Posted at 10:26 AM on April 27, 2011

Finally Ms Naya Rivera is getting the praise and attention she deserves. I genuinely believe that if she wasn’t the person playing Santana, that this character wouldn’t be as good. She can sing, dance, act her socks off and manages to make the audience laugh as well as cry. And she does it so effortlessly. I can say that this character and Naya has changed my life. Emmy NOW people!

jess

Posted at 9:43 AM on April 27, 2011

one word:

Jessie

Posted at 7:02 AM on April 27, 2011

Forever YES. They’ve finally started to showcase the talent that is Naya Rivera and now she is just stealing every episode. Santana has become such an incredible character and Brittany/Santana need to happen asap.

Kira

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 27, 2011

Just had to say I love your article! I think you are dead on with your mention of Naya Rivera’s consistently phenomenal performances & Santana’s role in this episode. So awesome of you to acknowledge Naya. Hats off to you Chris.

kayla

Posted at 1:48 AM on April 27, 2011

She’s been really impressive. I hardly paid any attention to her character in the first season, but this year she’s a real scene-stealer and even outshining some of the original main cast embers in my opinion. Seeing the range in her acting in the last few episodes, I think she’s one of the few that could have a successful tv/movie career once glee is done

Not a bad voice either, and she seems like such a sweetie. You go Naya!

Pozo

Posted at 3:24 AM on April 29, 2011

Not a bad voice?? R ya serious?? LOL…did you hear her sing ‘trouty mouth’? Other than being the most hilarious song to have ever been sung which made me literally fall off my bed laughing, if you don’t pay attention to the lyrics, that was the most amazing, soulful, crooning, i’m channeling freaking billie holiday moment I’ve heard anyone sing in a long time!!!

Not to mention her rendition of ‘Valerie’. think it’s almost better than the original, LOL

She has an amazing voice, they just don’t let her use it as much as she should! :) IMO

LK

Posted at 8:02 AM on June 5, 2011

I do think her version of Valerie was better than the original…she killed it. I’m glad they are giving her the opportunity to sing more, because she has a fantastic voice. I love the Santana character, she is hilarious and yet still gets to show so much feeling at times. Naya is doing an amazing job playing the part and is so deserving of recognition. And I think Heather Morris should get some more credit too. She does an amazing job as Brittany and never ceases to make me laugh, not to mention the fact that she is such a phenomenal dancer. These two definitely deserve more credit and recognition than I think they get sometimes.

LC

Posted at 1:39 AM on April 27, 2011

Naya Rivera has really brought so much to Santana’s character and to Glee. She’s easily become a favorite and Naya has been phenomenal with all her material ranging from drama to comedy. She definitely deserves to be recognized for her outstanding work.

Sandra

Posted at 11:43 PM on April 26, 2011

You must be a fangirl because she was a non issue in this episode and is a monotone character. So, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Cis

Posted at 10:08 PM on April 26, 2011

I very much agreed her portrayal was beyond awesome. Her grasp on the character was so surreal! Some did say from the previous peak that its a character regression for santana but THAT IS HELL TO THE NO!! The character development of Santana is way more than I imagine with the perfect plot and the way NAYA RIVERA PULLS IT OFF. IT IS WORTH AN EMMY!

Alex

Posted at 10:03 PM on April 26, 2011

The best thing in the episode was Kurt singing As If We Never Said Goodbye. It was on a completely different level than most of the musical performances seen on Glee, in terms of the complexity and nuances in the performance. Naya was good, but really not the biggest highlight in this episode in my opinion.

Sarah

Posted at 1:39 AM on April 29, 2011

I felt like As If We Never Said Goodbye was way, way too long. It would’ve benefitted from a little trimming.

Actually, I thought that the highlight of the episode was the OCD storyline tied with every time Santana was on screen. Naya has been blowing me away for quite a while. I totally think she deserves an award. Now.

jen

Posted at 3:32 AM on April 29, 2011

I thought the never said goodbye song was also really too long. Actually the only part of the entire episode that almost bored me. almost. I love chris as an actor but not too much a fan of his voice style. the highlight for me in this episode as in some of the previous ones has definitely been Santana. She totally stole the show yesterday!! She was nothing short of brilliant!! The previous one ‘night of neglect’ I think the only part that I liked was her scene with the ‘razor blades in my hair’ line. It had me in stiches. LOL that and the sex ed episode her scenes alone and with brit. Show stealer!! I never noticed her too much before in season one, but it seems to me Glee has a new star!! an emmy worthy star at that! :) And I have a new favorite character!!

LK

Posted at 8:05 AM on June 5, 2011

I agree about the song being too long. By the time it was like half way through I was ready for it to be over. I feel like they could have used that time for something else