Bonnie Says: Kate Middleton, Please Don't Wear A Sexy Wedding Dress When You Marry Prince William!

Mon, April 25, 2011 11:00am EDT by 7 Comments
Getty Images

Kate — I beg you – buck the big trend for celeb brides to sex it up. Instead, be glamorously demure like Princess Diana.

From Reese Witherspoon to Khloe Kardashian to Hilary Duff and Carrie Underwood — The best known celeb brides have gone strapless, booty-hugging, and often even cleavage- baring.

Where once the key attributes for wedding gowns were modesty — white, high-necked affairs — bespoking a young woman’s virginity, today thousands of brides see their wedding day as a chance to show off their “wares.”

This is why I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Kate Middleton follows the example of the most famous bride of all time, her mother-in-law, Diana. Diana’s wedding gown, worn when she married Prince Charles at St. Paul’s Cathedral on July 29, 1981, was jaw-droppingly gorgeous, completely original and also royally modest.

Created by the husband/wife design team — Elizabeth and David Emanuel, its ruffled V-neckline perfectly set off Diana’s fashionable shaggy crop cut, without revealing even a speck of the princess’s cleavage. Poufy sleeves, a full skirt, a 25- foot train, and a tiara crown with 150 yards of netting for the veil spelled out royal romance from the top of Diana’s blonde head to the bottom of her tulle petticoat.

When women watched Diana walk down the aisle, the first words they thought were taffeta and lace, tulle, and 10,000 sequins. What they didn’t think was — “Wow, that Diana looks HOT!”

Kate Middleton, this is NOT a Kardashian wedding!

It’s clear from your recent photos that you’ve dropped pounds off your already slender frame. Actually, your chest is looking downright bony. Is it the stress of getting married in front of 2 billion people or are you dieting on purpose?

I just hope you’re not whittling away so you can fit into some body-hugging wedding gown that shows off front, side or back cleavage or a tight, toned booty.

Please Kate, set a new classy and classic standard for today’s brides. Be beautiful and be romantic like Diana. Be modern, but also be modest!

You’re a princess, not a pin-up girl!

–Bonnie Fuller

More on the Royal Wedding:

1. Kate Middleton, You’re Skin & Bones! Are You Suffering From An Eating Disorder Like Princess Diana?
  2. Bonnie Says: Thank The Lord, Prince William Wasn’t Forced To Marry A Virgin!

Lulabelle Rosathe

Posted at 1:28 PM on April 26, 2011

I hate that people are comparing Diana to Kate- they are two VERY different people. I’m British and I have no interest in the Royal Wedding whatsoever- I’m tired of walking in town and seeing merchandise galore.

We spend half our lives moaning about how little the Royal family mean and do for us and yet as soon as we get a day off, we are their biggest fans? Seriously hypocritical.

I am a huge fan of Diana’s and I honestly believe the Royal family had something to do with her death. Diana was inspirational in many ways; fashionable, active mother and she helped so many charities and causes- on her own- and she received nothing but negative vibes from the Royal Family as she’d attend engagements alone. She had confidence and guts and they wore her down.

Kate has already said “I will always be one step behind my husband” and for me, that says it all- she is what the Royal Family are looking for; a conformist and someone who won’t ‘step out of line’.

Whilst I adore the whole ‘fairytale’ and ‘romance’ to this wedding, or any wedding period, I don’t understand the hype. And as for her dress(sorry for the rant) as someone else mentioned, the Queen would have approved it before being made but I assume it will be something modern but modest.

blaize

Posted at 10:43 AM on April 26, 2011

Bonnie is so prudish. I agree that it would be tacky for Kate to get married in a bikini like Pam Anderson did. But just because it’s a royal wedding doesn’t mean she can’t wear a dress that’s a little sexy. She’s a grown woman and this isn’t 1850. Royal or not, women shouldn’t be required to look conservative 24/7. Why are people so obsessed with women being virginal? It IS possible to look sexy and classy at the same time.

Katherine

Posted at 3:00 PM on April 25, 2011

I want to tell her to keep it in between. She has to modernize the ways of the Royal Family, but she has to remember she going to become a PRINCESS…
The media, the people, the royals, everybody is watching…
WELL…Last of all good luck Kate!!! We wish you the best :)

MixnSip.com

Posted at 1:32 PM on April 25, 2011

Kate is classy, but that doesn’t mean she can’t also be sexy in a wedding dress. And Diana’s over-decorated wedding cake look was great back then but is not for today.

Emily

Posted at 12:40 PM on April 25, 2011

How much time did you waste writing this article? I hope not much. Of course she’s not going to strut down the aisle in some barely there wedding dress. Do you honestly expect her to show up in some skanky dress with her tits hanging out? In any picture I have seen of her she seems to be a conservative dresser. Aside from her own style, there is no way that the Queen didn’t have to approve of the dress design before the actual dress was made. Get an opinion worth sharing next time.

Cherie100

Posted at 1:07 PM on April 25, 2011

I’m with Emily! Do you actually believe Kate would where something skanky? Come on Bonnie! Talk about something worthwhile!

Cherie100

Posted at 1:08 PM on April 25, 2011

Sorry for the typo it should be wear not where!