Robert Pattinson's Fans Help 'Water For Elephants' Make Big Money At The Box Office!

Sat, April 23, 2011 6:40pm EDT by 45 Comments

The world’s hunkiest man helps this small film do better than expected financially!

Robert Pattinson has proven himself to be one of the box office’s best bets!

Even though it was not a big-budget blockbuster or an established sequel, Water For Elephants outperformed expectations at the box office this weekend, netting $7 million on its April 22 opening night. That beat expectations, and the film will end the holiday weekend with about $18 million — not bad for a modestly budgeted drama, Deadline reports. It is slated to end the weekend trailing the high-profile animated movie Rio and the new Tyler Perry film, Madea’s Big Happy Family.

Fox, which distributed the film, thanked 24-year-old Rob’s star power, as well as a great marketing campaign.

“Terrific start for Elephants as we could hit higher teens,” an executive from Fox said.

Congratulations, Rob — you can do great at the box office even when you aren’t a vampire!

– William Earl

Want more Rob?

1. Are critics being too mean to Rob Pattinson for his WFE performance? Vote!
  2. Click here to see Rob being fan-friendly at WFE premiere!
  3. Click here for more on Rob and Kristen at the WFE after party!

Ann

Posted at 11:03 AM on April 25, 2011

I am a movie fan and I really really enjoyed Water for Elephants and thought Robert Pattenson did an excellent job acting and was very believable. You can see the emotion come through his face at the injustice towards animals AND humans. He has a quality that comes through on the big screen that connects with the audience. I thought Reece Witherspoon was ok – not great or terrible but her character was giving mixed signals so maybe that effected how the audience responded to her. I predict Robert will get a people’s choice award for this movie and be a box office success – especially when it goes to DVD, but the movie will be snubbed by critics/Academy members who don’t give the film a chance or look at the film on it’s own merits due to discounting the fans reaction because of the Twilight phenomnia.

Shetahn

Posted at 7:58 AM on April 25, 2011

Hey Critic’s, The fans have spoken. Stick that up your A**. Rob is more than just a pretty face. I loved this movie & it was totally GREAT. I will definately go see it again. Way to go Rob!! :)

carolyn

Posted at 7:21 AM on April 25, 2011

What i find funny after reading these posts, is that those who do not like Robert must be 12 or less, because damn, they neither can spell or make any sentence coherant, lmao…If you want anyone to take what you say serious, learn how to speak and spell…eg. BECKY…I can’t even get half way through your post, yikes!!!

Ben

Posted at 1:20 AM on April 25, 2011

Just Saw WFE. I’m a 16 year old boy that absolutely hated the twilight series but thought Pattinson did an excellent job in this film. Dont judge him on Twilight, this movie will completely alter any feelings that he can only be a vampire. He is a great actor in WFE

rsd

Posted at 12:27 AM on April 25, 2011

Facts: Robert IS a pretty face. Myth: Robert is ONLY a pretty face. What I like the most about him actually is his personality, charisma and intelligence. He is also a sweet, good guy! People seem to forget that he is only (almost) 25! He is still developing as an actor, but did a very good job in WFE. I liked the movie, and perhaps would have liked it more if so much had not been revealed during promotion. I also think the love story and chemistry suffered a little with the cuts to get the movie to fit into the PG-13 category. Third place is a great start for this movie genre and has more to do with a strong competition than lack of merits of the movie. America’s obsession with first place is sickening! Let’s focus more on the journey: Rob is going a long way…

ana karen

Posted at 10:12 PM on April 24, 2011

I am not teen, I am 40 and Robert fa, WFE is a beautiful movie, ROBERT PATTINSON IS A GREAT, GREAT, GREAT ACTOR, people who say he is not, is just ENVY.
I saw Remember me and it was a great movie too, us citizens
that did not see it are stupid people, but we can’t wait too much from the us citizens, they are lost.
GO ROBERT, YOU ARE GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL.

Jane

Posted at 8:14 PM on April 24, 2011

I am a Twilight mom, not a teen and Water for Elephants is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. There were two teenage boys setting in front of me, acting up, but when the movie started, I did not hear another peep until everyone started cheering and clapping at the end. If you havent’t seen the movie, you certainly are missing out on one of the best movies for 2011. Rob Pattinson was exceptional.

Becky

Posted at 3:50 PM on April 24, 2011

First: i respect all the opinion.and i dont a Robert fan.
Second: i dont wanna get in a fight.i think everybody can act.
so: See, robert have a lot of fans, and they maybe think that he is perfect or that he is a truly person. Well, we dont know how is he and other things. Then imagine if he dont have that face, im sure that a lot of people were not interesting in he anymore.So that probably means that he only is a pretty face in hollywood with a lot of fans that are obssessd with him, So know you can see all the results that his films are going to have, the same face the same fans

Jane

Posted at 8:18 PM on April 24, 2011

Becky, there were people in the movie theater than had never heard of Rob Pattinson and were thrilled with the movie. The movie is very good. If you don’t see it because of Rob, then you have missed out on something you would have liked.

Mayra

Posted at 4:34 PM on April 25, 2011

be my mom! (?)

ChrysaPatz

Posted at 1:00 PM on April 26, 2011

i have many friends(especially boys…that when they heard that robert is going toplay in this movie they didn’t want to go to see it…when we finally make them go…when the movie finished they said that maybe…were silly and that rob is…maybe better than they thought…one of them said that it was great in the movie and he wanted to see the movies again and ask me if i could give him the book…so i don’t think that boys like rob for his oretty face….he really funny…as we hear and see and talented

Practical

Posted at 9:23 PM on April 27, 2011

You need to learn how to write correctly

ChrysaPatz

Posted at 3:18 PM on April 28, 2011

i have dyslexia sorry :(

andrea

Posted at 2:44 PM on April 24, 2011

I don’t think he can act. And the weekend isn’t over yet. That’s not really that bigger a number with the number of screens it was on. Sorry, I just don’t find him that special. Most critics said he was the weak link. I could believe that. I don’t think it will make back $38 million in the US. We’ll see.

Becky

Posted at 3:43 PM on April 24, 2011

I dont agree with you..

lisa

Posted at 12:51 PM on April 24, 2011

Sorry aquarius64 when you make the top 3 in the box office you are already at the top. He has already risen like I agree with Mia…Keep up the great work Robert Pattinson!! No matter what hatters out there think of you, is what you think of yourself and your true fans!!

aquarius64

Posted at 8:17 PM on April 24, 2011

Another blind shipper heard from. Any criticism, especially a valid one, and you are dismissed as a hater. (BTW, hater is not spelled with 2 t’s.) It doesn’t matter how deep is your devotion is to this guy, MONEY TALKS. Consistent third place finishes at the box office does not convince studios to hire you. True he has projects coming up, but if they do not come in at #1 on opening weekend, nobody is going to be checking for him.

mia

Posted at 9:47 AM on April 24, 2011

THERE IS NO STOPPING ROBERTPATTINSON…HE IS A GREAT ACTOR and A VERY NICE GUY AND VERY HUMBLE…HATERS…ITS TOO LATE…ROB HAS FLOWN HIGH ALREADY..NO ONE CAN DENY THAT..THIS IS A FANTASTIC MOVIE WITH A GREAT STORY AND GREAT CAST.PERIOD

aquarius64

Posted at 9:58 AM on April 24, 2011

Movie finished THIRD, sweetheart. Until a non-Twilignt movie of his opens at #1, he hasn’t made it yet. He has to prove he can get non-shippers like you to plunk down the money (long after Twilight is over), then he has arrived.

ana

Posted at 4:06 AM on April 25, 2011

You’re a true fan of stewart? jajaj that says it all and because the hatred and negativity.

aquarius64

Posted at 6:25 AM on April 25, 2011

Another shipper with a “you’re jealous” answer towards objective criticism. Geez.

andrea

Posted at 8:24 AM on April 24, 2011

What a beautiful movie, and Rob Pattinson proves he’s got impressive acting talent and presence on screen, yet again! My friends – male and female loved it. Great chemistry between Rob and Reese even if clearly intended to be PG13. Although I would have preferred an R rated romance, I thought it a great decision that this was a spectacular film for everyone!
(… and, must say, it was very satisfying to see Jacob/Rob get to throw a good solid punch toward the end, as his character gained strength!) Kudos to Rob, Reese, Christoph, Hal, Francis Lawerence and everyone involved in making WFE! I’m going to see it again!

MAKI

Posted at 7:21 AM on April 24, 2011

water for elephants is AMAZING

Cecil

Posted at 4:57 AM on April 24, 2011

Oh My God! It’s a good thing that little girls think Robert Pattinson is cute because his acting has actually reached the level of being horrible! I actually feel a little sorry for him because he may have money and maybe him and Kristen are happy but he will never have broad public appeal. Most actors start doing movies and improve as they go but Robert has been dwindling backwards. When he first arrived in the US and was interviewed this guy was clean, intelligent and articulate. Now, he looks and sounds like Kristen. Both Kristen and Robert play with their hair, both of them use foul language, both of them squirm while being interviewed both have had pictures at red carpets where they were high.I’m sure Robert’s mother is so proud.
The truly sad part is that all these young girls will give the movie financial success so Robert Pattinson will never look at the fact that he really needs to do something to improve. Jeez Cosmopolis is going to be awful.I’m a big fan of the book WFE but the movoie butchered it. The elephant and Christopher Waltz were really good! Robert Pattinson and Reese make the love story look like a cheap lust story!

aquarius64

Posted at 7:37 AM on April 24, 2011

Fanned and faved for your critical and honest assessment!

Alex

Posted at 8:58 PM on April 28, 2011

The chemistry comes across as empty lust between an older woman and her boy toy instead of poignant and consuming like the book. I did enjoy the ever magnetic Christoph and Tai’s performance though.

Marcy

Posted at 4:39 AM on April 24, 2011

I think the critics have been too easy on Robert or they were like me. (We have all accepted that Robert Pattinson can’t act and know if all the little girls didn’t like him he would of been gone by now.)I know that if I go see a movie with him in it that you just have to ignore him and count on the other actors being so good that they save the movie. (Except for Twilight, it doesn’t have an actor to cover the fact that Robert and Kristen can’t act) Robert has said that he and Kristen had a lot in common. Now, we know he now uses foul language during interviews and acts the same no matter what. Robert Pattinson are just like each other. You know the saying that dog owners begin to look their dog. I keep waiting for Robert and Kristen to look like each other. WFE ruined the book and Reese did a bad job and I don’t know if it was because Robert gave her nothing to work with or Reese is just having a few years of bad movies.

sam blair

Posted at 12:46 AM on April 24, 2011

WFE was a major disappointment for me. No chemistry between Reese and Rob and the only stars are Chris Waltz and Tai the Elephant. I do adore Robert Pattinson but he has a long way to go in acting. Good thing he has he’s looks and charm to fall back on.

Andreina Marie

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 23, 2011

I never go to the theaters listening the critics, I always prefer my own opinion, and always I’m right.
I already saw the movie and was excellent, all the actors were so involved to do the best, we enjoyed so much with all my family, Rob Pattinson was great like Jacob, also Reese and Christoph. Great Job! Great Movie!

Michele

Posted at 10:12 PM on April 23, 2011

Critics? Bah!

I saw Water For Elephants yesterday and loved it!

I think the critics must have it in for Rob, really, because I thought he was great as Jacob. He was everything I envisioned Jacob to be when I read the novel – watchful, sensitive, smart. The viewer is seeing the story through his eyes and Rob had the nuances of expression needed to bring this character to life, but realistically so, not in a caricature sort of way. (I hope this makes sense.) I was really impressed and and sick of the crap spewing from some critics. Others, on the other hand, loved his performance and this film.

I loved Reese as Marlena, and Christoph was excellent as well. And it is easy to see what all the fuss over Tai is – she is such a magnificent and sweet creature. It is probably the closest I (and most of us) will come to knowing an elephant and for that alone I am grateful for this film.

I absolutely loved it.

Michele

jspattzfan

Posted at 9:35 PM on April 23, 2011

I saw this movie yesterday and it lived up to all my expectations. Rob was terrific as was Reese and Christoph (very scary at times).The supporting cast was wonderful and it looked phenomenal. I saw it with as full house who all applauded at the end of the movie.There have been some poor reviews, but just as many good ones like Roger Ebert, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Philadelphia Inquirer and Scott Mantz of AccessHollywood who called it the best movie of the year so far, so pick the ones you want to pay attention to. All I know is that it is a good story, well told and acted and I hope that people will give it a chance.It’ll be worth it.

Trish

Posted at 9:25 PM on April 23, 2011

I saw the movie and it was boring and in my opinion if it wasn’t for all of the RP fans(mostly female)it would not have done as well as it did.I think the projections of the movie at the box office were based on this fact.The movie is predictable and doesn’t hold your interest.It was not just RP but the movie period.You know it is bad when you prefer the animals and the villian.I thought the critics were joking about the elephant and Waltz stealing the show but to my surprise they weren’t.This movie has done well because females paying to see RP and that doesn’t say much about his acting.As far as next week I don’t think it will do better because Fast Five is coming out and besides I think the novelty of WFE will have worn off of course you will have those that will see it and those who will go see it again just for the RP factor.I am not saying RP is not a good actor I just didn’t get that sense from this movie and I didn’t buy the romance between he and Witherspoon.He is going to have to do more movies because right now his resume is being overshadowed by twilight and his personal life.The premiere of this movie isn’t what has been talked about all week.The only thing that has been talked about is what happened after the movie.This says alot about the movie and its importance.No one should care about his personal life but when your personal life gets more attention than your movies you’ve got a problem.As far as Witherspoon I didn’t believe her commitment to the movie it didn’t show but maybe I was watching a different WFE.

donna

Posted at 10:59 PM on April 23, 2011

I agree with you on some things trish…I am a huge RP fan, unfortunately I am NOT a big fan of his personal life…I could care less who he’s dating! But I gotta give props where props are due and Rob nailed Jacob in this movie. And I cant speak for everyone but I know in my theater there was a mix of men, women young and old and a few teenagers here and there! This movie blew me away as well as others I know who arent RP fans…

I do feel its sad how his personal life over shadowed his premiere, but thats what sells right? Why be surprised? He is our next Johnny Depp. He will be around for the long haul and his Kristen is just his Winona Rider….SHe wont last but he will charge on!!!! No one will care about his dates and will be more focused on his craft! Mark my words.. I’m a fortune teller…I see the future! :)

Sam Blair

Posted at 12:53 AM on April 24, 2011

I thought the same thing. Another Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder passion which won’t last. Too much focus on his personal life and less on his actng. sad

WFEfan

Posted at 12:15 AM on April 28, 2011

TRISH THIS WAS BASED IN A BEST SELLING BOOK! WHAT do you want them to change? the outcome or the time it took place? because YOU think it was boring?
The audience I saw it with clapped as well at the finish…
You are allowed to have your opinion but please be fair.
It was based on the book!!!!!

Jennifer

Posted at 9:04 PM on April 23, 2011

I saw Water For Elephants this afternoon and was thoroughly impressed. My whole family enjoyed it. We were all fans of the book first. I thought Rob was excellent. Go see it – a very good movie and i think Rob definitely proved himself.

Dawn

Posted at 8:42 PM on April 23, 2011

I saw WFE this afternoon, I really enjoyed it. Rob was great. yes,I’m 39 and a RPattz fan.

Richard

Posted at 7:55 PM on April 23, 2011

They say WFE is a bad movie.
I don’t know of it’s true but critics say that rob has no talent and is a lifeless person who can’t act and rob and resses chemistry looks like 2 year old kids who can’t make out and doesnt look like that their not in to each other

Betty b

Posted at 7:47 PM on April 23, 2011

Um… In think what this article means is thar Tyler Perry’s has a massive fan base, on Facebook alone over a million fans. His movie is already SOLD. He does not need as many theaters to obtain a impressive bottom-line.

WFE is facing a uphill battle to SALE and achieve a decent bottom-line for a storyline relative unknown by mainstream audiences. The studios know this type of movie and period can be a hit or a miss at the box office. So the adding more theaters to reach the masses seems sensible.

aquarius64

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 23, 2011

Coming in at THIRD is not a box office success, especially when your movie is on more screens than the one that is making more money than yours. Madea is on 2200 screens, WFE is on 2800. The “great marketing campaign” and R-Pattz’s Twilight draw should have put the movie at #1 for the weekend. Nice try at spin, Fox.

JP90

Posted at 7:27 PM on April 23, 2011

Aquarious, you need to learn about the basics of boxoffice, tracking figures, demographics, target audiences, etc… before you spout about something that you clearly know nothing about. You can start with some places like HSX, ERC, Boxoffice.com, Reel Source and MTC. You will see that professionals who actually know how to predict were, on average, expecting WFE to do lower and for Madea to open at #1. WfE is overperforming. Some are also predicting the film to have better than expected legs over the next weeks and Madea to be more frontloaded.

aquarius64

Posted at 9:10 PM on April 23, 2011

Still doesn’t change the fact WFE is going to finish THIRD. Your devotion to RPattz didn’t help put this movie at the top of the medal stand. And your rattling off the names of sites don’t make you an expert at box office tracking. In a couple weeks the summer movie season begins (May 6). Do you honestly think RPattz is going to beat out Thor, Kung Fu Panda 2, Pirates 4, Hang Over 2, Jumping the Broom – movies scheduled to be released in May – since you are stating WFE’s box office receipts are going to get better? Like others you let your fantasies about this guy cloud any critical and honest assessment.

Vicky

Posted at 12:52 AM on April 24, 2011

You are so right! Madea fans are going this weekend and that’s it. WFE( and RPattz) fans will go back and now with word of mouth( a good family film)- expect WFE to be around for awhile. Don;t forget the international fans for WFE . As WFE goes global, expect huge numbers while Madea and Tyler Perry have no international pull whatsoever. “Remember Me” recouped the money spent for production and advertising and still added an additional 20 million to Summit’s bottom line.