Two 14-Year-Old Girls Kill Themselves In Suicide Pact After Being Bullied — Heartbreaking.

Thu, April 21, 2011 1:29pm EDT by 54 Comments

The teens killed themselves at a slumber party after complaining they were being bullied at school. As parents, doesn’t this horrify you?

Best friends Haylee Fentress and Paige Moravetz, both 14, of Lake Township, Minnesota left suicide notes behind for their families before hanging themselves at a sleepover on Friday night, April 15. Haylee’s mother, Tracy Morrison discovered their bodies early Saturday morning when she went to check on the girls. This has to be every parent’s worst nightmare.

Police investigators believe the two teens had been planning this for quite some time. In the farewell notes they left behind, both girls even detailed funeral arrangements. Just heartbreaking.

“She requested everything pink and princess and butterflies,” Haylee’s aunt, Robin Settle, tells ABC News. Robin says that Haylee, her mother and 8-year-old brother recently moved to Lake Township from Indiana and that the 14-year-old was struggling with being bullied in school.

“I’m shocked and I’m mad and I’m sad. I don’t understand the mentality of kids torturing other kids, kids having to go through this. They don’t think they have anywhere to go to,” she told ABC News. “She was made fun of for being overweight, her red hair. She posted on my Facebook wall that she really wanted to come back, that the people were mean and cruel and she didn’t fit in.”

Paige suffered from bullying as well and became very close with Haylee, even leading Haylee to hyphenate Paige’s last name to hers on Facebook. “They were best friends,” said Paige’s uncle, Brett Behnke.

“She just didn’t want anybody to be sad for her,” Brett says of Paige’s suicide note. “She wanted everybody to pray for her and that’s the gist of it.” But why did this have to happen? Could it have been avoided?

“Encourage them to come to you if they suspect someone is bullying them,” psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert tells HollyBaby.com. “Look out for the signs of a child being bullied: feeling upset when online, withdrawal, not wanting to go to school, sad, depressed.”

“We need to model and talk to our children about how do we solve problems? How do we handle things that are hard? How do we help each other and ourselves?” Cindy Manthey, of the Critical Incident Stress Management team at Haylee and Paige’s school explains.

This is a terrible situation that can be prevented if we realize what’s really going on with our children, especially when social networks like Facebook and Twitter are involved.

–Leigh Blickley

Get more:

1. 7-Year-Old Gets Plastic Surgery To Avoid Bullying — Can This Be A Good Thing?
  2. Don’t Let Your Child Get Picked On And Teased. Here’s How To Protect Your Kid From Online Bullying
  3. Mother Defends Son’s Right To Dress In Drag For Halloween. But Experts Worry She Went Too Far When She Labeled Him As ‘Gay’ On Her Blog

Kaitlin

Posted at 11:42 AM on December 13, 2011

no beautiful girl should be bullied, no girl should.. every girl out there is beautiful… NO ONE SHOULD BE BULLIED….

Kaitlin

Posted at 11:30 AM on December 13, 2011

when i was reading this. it really hit me. i cried when i read this. these girls didnt deserve any ot this. im 15 year old. and wow, i couldnt do what they did and they didnt desrve it at all.

becky

Posted at 10:21 AM on December 13, 2011

wow so shoked want to cry now it bracks my hearts to hear that

Crystal

Posted at 7:30 PM on November 30, 2011

I have heared A Alot of bullies that wonder around seeing who to bully next. Hope this bullying stops for once and for all. LOL STOP THE BULLYING NOW.

Elizabeth

Posted at 4:16 PM on November 9, 2011

I might not be a mom.. But I am a student. I was and still am a bystander in bullying. Im sick of it. It’s either being called “Fat” or “Nerd”. Or being harassed any other kind of way. This story makes my heart drop, and i swear, a series of emotions past through me. From saad, to mad, and back to sad. This girls were very pretty. And I hope the bullies were taken to jail or even sent to the death penalty. Because, technically they murdered someone.

Lee

Posted at 9:48 AM on September 27, 2011

Where are the parents of the children that are doing the bullying? I know that the parents hear their conversations. When the parents are held responsible for the actions of their children, the children will stop doing this because if you fined them for this just like you fine parents for children not going to school or make them go to court and pay court fees this will stop. How can they be so cruel?

Maamm

Posted at 9:11 AM on April 28, 2011

My Daughter was constantly being bullied and I talked to the school and nothing ever gets done. I had to switch her to a different school and it still continues. I have witnessed it at the school and I can hear kids getting bullied but all the teachers I saw witnessing the bulling just ignore it. It is pathetic!! I finally just pulled her out of public schools and she is now getting home schooling. Public schools have gone to crap. Very sad situation all around from over crowding of schools, poor teaching and the bulling.

Ashley

Posted at 5:54 PM on April 27, 2011

I think the bullying thing needs to stop! The people who make fun of others and think that they’re “better” make me really angry. By calling someone fat, what does that do for you? Does it make your self esteem go up? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Did you ever think that the person you are calling fat goes home and cries themselves to sleep over it? Did you ever think that the person you are making fun of has a condition that makes them look the way they do? No you never consider that because you’re a selfish, and hateful person. I think anyone who Cyberbullies or bullies in general should be banned from using internet and have their phones and what not monitored. It is so cruel to make someone feel so bad about themselves that they’d want to not live anymore.
I’ve been made fun of, and taunted, called fat and ugly. And I know i’d never want someone to feel the way that I felt. I have resulted to cutting, and not eating bebcause of some peoples comments. I would never want to make someone feel that way, and it sucks that there are people in this world who think its okay to say that about others!
GROW UP!

Kaitlin

Posted at 11:48 AM on December 15, 2011

i agree with you. nobody should tolerance bullying at all. no on eis perfect, not even the bully.

Britt

Posted at 8:08 PM on April 26, 2011

This story breaks my heart a million times as a mother. I pray for these girls’ families and hope they get through this okay.

arijana

Posted at 12:08 AM on April 24, 2011

they need to stop this damn bullying.cuz even if they say to stop thay just dont! but may it be too late because if they even stop bullying those girls still cant come back cuz it is too late. and that is just a very young age to die for i would pay all the money in the world to get them back alive.and 2 problems thay had in their life.being bullied and dying.I feel so bad for them.

Carol

Posted at 10:52 AM on April 23, 2011

Kids should understand that there are ways to counteract this kind of sh*t, like acheiving straight As in school or taking up martial arts. You won’t be in high school forever.. living well is the best revenge!

Risa and Terra

Posted at 6:51 PM on April 22, 2011

Risa: Remember when that kid was getting bullied in middle school, and you starting defending her and got punched in the face?
Terra: Yeah *rubs nose*
Risa: I found out that girl became a bully herself in high school when we moved!
Terra: Wow, you think you know a person.

c

Posted at 2:39 PM on April 22, 2011

these kids need to toughen up.. bullying is nothing new

gracie!

Posted at 6:25 AM on April 24, 2011

how culd u say that! they’re dead and u say toughen up!

tom c

Posted at 1:43 PM on April 22, 2011

are the bullies held accountable for the death of these two girls–assisted suicide, manslaughter, murder, etc.?

Melmo

Posted at 8:40 AM on April 22, 2011

Bullying has been going on for so long not sure why all of a sudden its a big deal … unfortunately now anything is considered bullying!! Main thing is, what are these bullies being taught @ home? Where are the parents of these bullies? Where are the parents of the ones being bullied? I talk to my kids EVERY DAY we discuss their day @ school, bullying and if they are being bullied. it took one incident w/one of my kids and I was in the school made LEGAL Threats and it stopped!!! I made sure the other kids parents knew I was not playing about pressing charges if it continued. Suicides can be avoided if parents take the time to talk to their kids, reassure your kids everyday, spend time with them. if its a must remove your child from the school they are in, put them in another school, make them delete FB, MS, etc. I think everybody deals w/a form of bullying @ some point in their life … killing yourself is not the answer. I can say this much, suicide is a selfish way out … I have taught my kids to ALWAYS come to me and we WILL resolve any issues … but if they chose to take the cowardly way out, there will be no funeral and I will leave it to the county to do what they want w/the body b/c if you have no respect for yourself and take your own life then you do not deserve respect in death! Call me cold or heartless but only GOD can tell you when it’s time to go home not you/Satan!

karen

Posted at 2:19 PM on April 23, 2011

bingo!

brittany

Posted at 6:23 AM on April 24, 2011

im a teenage girl and let me tell you kids these days can be very harsh! sometimes there is no way out but suicide! bullies harass you until u believe what they say and u are so depressed and hate urself!

ddlovatics2095

Posted at 7:22 AM on April 22, 2011

this thing what was talking about demi lovato to stop.
oh my gosh.. bullying should be stop!

Bill

Posted at 11:18 PM on April 21, 2011

Excellent, articulate post, Caroline. Karen, you are heartless. Jon, I agree with part of what you are saying but school administrators are notorious for lying just to cover their own a**es. Why would the administrator even make such a comment? I’m wondering, Jon, about your credibility.

Now yes, suicide is prob the most selfish act in the world. I’ve lost several friends by that route. That being said, these were not adults who should know better. These were teenagers who were too young to understand the consequences of their actions. Grieve for these girls, don’t condemn, and pray for their families.

caroline

Posted at 9:36 PM on April 21, 2011

I get so frustrated when I read about this kind of thing. Why do people make fun of other people about things that are so trivial? But I don’t just get angry with the bullies.
If you are being bullied, GET HELP. Suicide is never the answer, and in my opinion is selfish. Think about how your friends and family are going to have to deal with your death. They won’t ever get over it, and they will always partly blame themselves for it.
So if it really gets that bad to where you are feeling suicidal, TALK SOMEBODY. Anybody- parents, friends, counselors, teachers, your pastor- BUT GET SOME HELP. Don’t kill yourself, because your life is worth so much more than that.

brittany

Posted at 6:17 AM on April 24, 2011

selfish ?

Jon

Posted at 5:44 PM on April 21, 2011

I want to make this very clear that I am from the town these girls lived in and I know them personally. They were not bullied and had no suicide pact. They weren’t the nicest girls in the world. Haylee was actually expelled from school because SHE was bulling other kids. This is nothing to feel sorry for them for. Its a tragedy that this happened, but it was also selfish and extremely stupid. If listen to the superintendents public announcement about this he clearly states that there was no suicide pact or that they were bullied.

Doh

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 21, 2011

Do you really think an a person involved with the school is going to admit they failed to recognize there was problem? Majority of the schools where there are killings of students deny there was anything wrong. A case of too little, too late. The teachers,counselors at Columbine denied there was anything wrong there, also.

Bill

Posted at 11:31 PM on April 21, 2011

Exactly!

AK

Posted at 9:12 AM on April 22, 2011

So, you’re saying that these girls just decided to end their lives for the heck of it? Right. Somehow I doubt YOUR story.

pixy

Posted at 5:48 AM on April 23, 2011

wow,you are almost as bad as karan up there.why in god’s
name would you post something like this?? are you trying to hurt their families?? i highly doubt you actually knew these 2 girls personally.and to say that this is nothing to feel sorry for them!!! WTH??? next time why don’t you stop,
go over in your head what exactly you are going to comment,
and if it is as bad as this comment,then don’t write it.
and btw,you were not there with them when this awful/tragic thing happened,so you cannot make any kind of statement as to them having a suicide pact.
i can tell by tour comment that you are a very immature kid who needs to grow up and have some empathy for other people.
you should be ashamed of your comment ‘JON’. (if that’s even your real name.

brittany

Posted at 6:16 AM on April 24, 2011

let me guess you are one of the bullies! it wasnt enough that they’re dead but you still have to bully them! and how is suicide is not selfish in anyway!!

Miss Marie

Posted at 3:54 PM on April 21, 2011

Karen, you are definitely missing a sensitivity chip.

gearhead boy

Posted at 3:53 PM on April 21, 2011

this is sad to read and what alot of people prolly don’t bring up is bullying can at times go on in other forms long after childhood into adulthood

josette

Posted at 2:16 PM on April 21, 2011

Rachel S. your statement is so true..Praying for families who have children that are being bully..The people who are doing the bulling need to be stopped..I will pray for the bully’s too..Kids/Children look in the mirror; see you are no different than the next person.. We are not all the same..Love yourself..Don’t be a bully..

Liz

Posted at 2:13 PM on April 21, 2011

We all need Jesus. The bullies need Jesus to help them to love their neighbor and grow in compassion. The girls needed Jesus to give them hope and strength.

Too tragic and sad for the families.

karen

Posted at 2:05 PM on April 21, 2011

I am sooo damned sick of this getting attention, like bullying is something new or horrid. You know what? SO you’re being bullied, remove yourself from the situation>? getting bullied online? DON’T GO THERE? getting bullied at school? teachers and office workers can help> I mean, give me a damned break. not only was I almost killed by MY school bully several times. but I was also being a bused at HOME! I’m still standing, and my bullies are either dead, or have kids of their own and see what they did that was bad.
Bullying HAPPENS. you either deal with it and be a better person, or you do something completely selfish and kill yourself. DEAL WITH IT!

jean

Posted at 4:41 PM on April 21, 2011

wow. bitter much. bullying is not okay and clearly you are not over your experience. get some help.

you are an idiot

Posted at 5:00 PM on April 21, 2011

obviously none of that was helping and they couldnt deal with it and didnt have the tools to make it better.. you are probably a bully yourself… this is sad two children are dead and you say deal with you.. u are heartless

marc

Posted at 9:42 PM on April 21, 2011

“Everyone who doesn’t think like Karen deserves to be verbally assaulted. Karen knows best for everyone and is stronger than everybody” You sound like a bully yourself.

alex

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 21, 2011

Karen, how could you say that. if bullying happens at school, how are you supposed to “remove yourself form the situation” and cyber bullying? happens on facebook, its their facebook profile, the bullies come to them. and one of my friends is being bullied, they went to EVERY teacher and the office, they said they would help, but never did. Bullying is not something to take like you are, bullying needs to stop, and your not helping.

pixy

Posted at 4:40 AM on April 22, 2011

did you lose your empathy and compassion for other people
when you were bullied??
you should know that everyone handles being bullied in different ways.
you really should be ashamed and emberresed for what you have posted.
you are no better than the people who you say bullied you
when you respond with this kind of message.

Elle

Posted at 8:34 AM on April 22, 2011

Almost killed several times in high school? Sounds like you are over exaggerating your situation. These are CHILDREN and your remedy to the situation is “Well just get over it!” Kids aren’t the same kids they were 10, 15+ years ago. They carry guns and knives now, they don’t care anymore. Maybe you should step away from Starcasm and learn some compassion and sympathy. Hopefully if you ever have kids they won’t have to go through what these girls went through before their deaths.

AK

Posted at 9:10 AM on April 22, 2011

Well, gee…compassion sure isn’t in your vocabulary, is it? Funny how someone who claims to have been bullied doesn’t feel for kids who are bullied today. It is MUCH worse now than it was when I was a kid.

Mopsy

Posted at 11:51 PM on April 22, 2011

I was bullied in school, and I was abused at home. However, I have enough humanity left to not only have sympathy for the girls and their family, but also realize that you obviously need severe psychological help. I’d really like to say something really nasty to you but then I would be no better.

Your Words Speak Volumes

Posted at 9:51 AM on April 23, 2011

That was harsh. This generation has it much harder due to electronic devices..internet, cell phones ect. I hope if your child ever experiences this, that you have nicer words and advice! It seems obvious that the bullying did affect you, as you seem hardened and bitter. I hope you find some help and some peace!

brittany

Posted at 6:10 AM on April 24, 2011

2 young and innocent girls are dead and all you can say is DEAL WITH IT! you are a horrible person and are no better then the bully who put these girls in their grave !

rachel s.

Posted at 2:00 PM on April 21, 2011

this is so devastatingly sad. Instead of teaching DARE in middle schools, that in my opinion does nothing, but teach kids how to use drugs, they should do anti-bullying seminars, and do activities that promote self esteem.

Robyn

Posted at 1:06 AM on April 22, 2011

Are you kidding?

Where I go they did all kinds of anti-bullying and tolerance crap in elementary school. It changed nothing, just like every other kind of social education schools provide.

At the very least, DARE is somewhat effective.

karen

Posted at 4:11 PM on April 23, 2011

IF A CHILD…
If a child lives with criticism,he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility,he learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule,he learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame,he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance,he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement,he learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise,he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness,he learns justice.
If a child lives with security,he learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval,he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,He learns to find love in the world.
If a child gets everything they want, but nothing they need, they end up with nothing.

Crystal

Posted at 7:27 PM on November 30, 2011

Hi I dont know you but i like how if a child… and i hope on day the damn bullying stops for once and for all.

Megan

Posted at 11:15 PM on December 13, 2011

I am not a parent but a student, I see kids being bullied daily at my public schools and teachers do nothing,! I used to be bullied called names but now they left me alone after a while and when I see a kid or someone being picked on or being made fun of because of their sexuality and the way they look it makes me sick.! and now im pretty populaur but I dont care about that stuff, but when I hear this I stand up and do something since noone does! Maybe that will help show or help people to do the same. Because its truely sad and cruel and I know how they feel! I still get made fun of or laughed at because I stand up or hangout with the so called “weird” kids but their, NOT! they are so cool and different in a good way(: