Mom Who Aborted Babies Because of Morning Sickness Is Trying To Get Pregnant Again!

Thu, April 21, 2011 3:38pm EDT by 15 Comments

Why does this British mom-of-two think the next time will be different for her? Read on to learn about her plan…

Claire Barwell terminated pregnancies in 2007 and February 2011 — because she couldn’t handle the crippling and severe nausea that caused her to vomit up to 40 times a day!

She suffered during four pregnancies from hyperemesis gravidarum (HG), which causes severe nausea. Sufferers are typically unable to eat or drink. Claire battled through the condition to deliver daughter Bethany, 10, and Abbey, 6. But when she fell pregnant in 2006, she was terrified.

Her marriage to her first husband was in trouble and she was unable to cope with the sickness without his support, so she reluctantly underwent an abortion after 12 weeks. “I felt so dreadful that I just wanted to get it over and done with,” she says. “I didn’t feel happy about it, but the decision was clear in my mind…Afterwards I was crippled with guilt. I felt desperately low. It was not something I was proud of at all.”

Claire, met second husband David just 6 months after the abortion. Despite her bad experiences, the couple were both keen to have kids together and were thrilled when Claire became pregnant in December 2010 – but the symptoms quickly returned, worse than ever.

“I was bed-bound, sick and drowning in misery. I remember thinking: ‘How can I survive like this for another seven months? I rang David in hysterics. I told him I wanted the baby, but couldn’t go on like that.”

Unable to cope, she took the decision to abort the baby. But amazingly, the four horrifying experiences haven’t put Claire off trying again.

She reveals she’s “desperate” to get pregnant again, insisting it’s “the only thing that keeps me going.” And she has recruited her sister to help her stay strong and resist the temptation to terminate again: “If I become pregnant, my twin Suzanne has agreed I can stay with her, as only she really understands how bad things can get.”

Despite criticism from pro-life campaigners for her decision to terminate her babies, experts are weighing in on Claire’s side — insisting HG is a misunderstood condition. “far more serious than anyone realizes,” explains pregnancy psychologist Dr. Brian Swallow. “Women consistently say they feel quite alone because there is insufficient help. Morning sickness is just seen as something women have to put up with.”

What do you think HollyMoms? Does she deserve our sympathy? Or is she crazy to want to get pregnant again?

– Ian Garland

Get More

1. Kate Hudson Is Suffering From Morning Sickness!
  2. Morning Sickness 101: Real Moms Reveal Their Tips For Taming The Nausea Beast
  3. Even Divas Like Mariah Carey Aren’t Immune To Morning Sickness!

Jennifer

Posted at 3:47 PM on April 15, 2012

I have bad morning sickness now, med’s don’t really help and I’ve been in the hospital, but I would not abort! I’m a pro choice person but the fact that her other pregnancies she was sick then she aborted ok, ok it’s an easy way out, but to get pregnant again and to abort and then again, give me a break!!! If you cant take it, there is nothing wrong with saying that. I always said I wanted at least 2 but I’ll be honest, my last pregnancy ended in a m/c and I was SICK and now this one again im SICK all day, so I’ll probably not have another one cause it is hard!! Very, very hard.

Nicki

Posted at 3:41 PM on October 23, 2011

As a mother of three one born still. May he RIP. Anyways with my son i was only sick 3 mos but with my daughter from week 6 to her due date i was sick morn to night. I couldn’t even hold down water. I was hospitialized for weeks for malnutirion. I would never abort for being selfish. That child did not ask to come in to the world and you certianly dont have the right to take it away. A baby has a heartbeat at week 5. If you can’t handle the pregnancy dont get pregnant.

lindsey

Posted at 2:33 PM on August 16, 2011

I had severe HG when I was pregnant. It was so terrible and hard, but I never once thought about aborting. i wished I wasnt pregnant so I could take meds to knock me out, then I would realize if I wasn’t pregnant, I wouldnt need the meds. I had HG until the start of the 3rd Trimester. I lost 35 pounds. In the 3rd tri, I managed to put on 15 pounds of healthy weight. It was a miserable experience, but i would not trade my little booger butt for anything in the world

Lynda

Posted at 4:41 PM on June 6, 2011

Sometimes hyperemesis of pregnancy is caused by positive H. pylori. She should get tested.

raven

Posted at 11:31 PM on May 24, 2011

she just needs help, that horrble but you know what she did it to her self so no i dont feel sorry suck it up or keep your legs closed not that hard. morning sickness sucks 7 months of pucking everything up 8 to 15 times a day and migrains everyother day and school on top of it, i for 34 weeks could only eat about 10 different kind of food or it make me very sick, and the 90lb i gaint hurt my spin and 4 years late i still deal with what was done to my back but at the end of the day all i think was i made a perfect baby who was born 6 weeks early with nothing wrong with him, so ya suck it up or dont have sex it that easy no it really is sorry why feel bad for a women who put her self there

Brittani

Posted at 1:31 PM on May 12, 2011

I can’t blame her. I was in the same boat. I fell pregnant 6 months ago. I wanted the baby so bad but I had the worst case of nausea. I was throwing up 5-7 times a day and the nause never went away. It was enough to make me want to end my life. I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t drink, I was constantly throwing up, dry heaving….my life was a nightmare.
Until you have gone through it don’t judge.

Missy

Posted at 10:15 PM on May 10, 2011

Sorry but you people dont know what its like until you,go thru it…i had it with all 3 of my pregnancies…and even tho I didn’t have abortions, I’d be lying if I said I never thought about it. You always hope the next pregnancy is different, or maybe they will have another way to help with the sickness. Or maybe if I have a boy this time it will b different. I will tell you this…its nothing like normal morning sickness and I wish you women that think differently could experience hg for 2 weeks…nevermind at least 18.

Annie

Posted at 3:42 PM on May 4, 2011

I had morning sickness the entire time. It was something all you naysayers have to expereince for yourself.

jwoolman

Posted at 4:00 AM on May 4, 2011

You posters need to read more about the disease hyperemesis gravidarum. This isn’t just “morning sickness” for the first trimester. This is all-day, all-night for 9 months and sometimes beyond. It’s a serious disorder that can be very difficult or impossible to treat, and carries significant risk for both mother and child. The mother can lose as much as 20% of her pre-preg body weight and get dangerously dehydrated and malnourished because of the difficulty eating and the vomiting (such as 40 times per day, which damages the esophagus also). This has effects on various other organs of the body. It is too often undertreated because of prejudices like yours, but it must be treated very aggressively.

josette

Posted at 3:56 PM on May 2, 2011

No, they should tie her tubes so she can’t have anymore children…I pray for the other children that they will not follow their mothers foot steps…Abortion is not the way to go for morning sickness..This woman needs help..

Brittani

Posted at 1:34 PM on May 12, 2011

You sound like a bitter woman who can’t have children. Well let me tell you something, until you have experienced this STFU.
I had the worst pregnancy 6 months ago and had to abort. I couldn’t eat, drink or sleep. I was sick and nauseous ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT! You have no idea what it’s like! It’s enough to drive you to suicide.
I pray one day you experience what we have so you understand.

J

Posted at 1:00 AM on June 20, 2011

Don’t they have prescriptions for really bad morning sickness? I’m sorry, but I do not feel sympathy for someone who keeps getting pregnant only to abort. What a flake, find another solution. Quit killing people. I wonder how it makes her daughters feel.

Nicki

Posted at 3:39 PM on October 23, 2011

I was sick from week 6 till my daughter was born morning to night. I never aborted. I never thought that was the solution. I couldn’t even hold water down. I was hospitialized for weeks from malnutrition. But in the end my daughter was over 9lbs after i lost over 30lbs. I would have never aborted.

Tina

Posted at 4:20 PM on April 22, 2011

She doesnt deserve any kind of sympathy. She’ll get sick with this one and get another abortion. I dont care who is going to give her comfort. Shes knows she’ll get sick. Dont have anymore kids.

MICHAEL

Posted at 6:04 PM on October 13, 2013

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!