Karen Gravano On 'Mob Wives' To Clear Her Name, Says Cousin — Exclusive!

Thu, April 21, 2011 4:35pm EDT by 22 Comments

Karen — daughter of a notorious mob killer turned informant — is trying to defend her whole family’s reputation, her cousin Frances Garafola tells HollywoodLife.com!

All of her life, Mob Wives star Karen Gravano has been known as the daughter of Salvatore “Sammy the Bull” Gravano – the Gambino family underboss who betrayed the mob when he turned FBI informant and ratted out John Gotti. But her cousin Frances Garafola tells HollywoodLife.com that after years of living in Arizona under the witness-protection program, Karen came back to Staten Island to defend her family’s honor.

“That shows loyalty, no matter what they say her father was,” Frances tells us. “That’s her dad, bottom line. And [I'm] tired of years going by and people commenting about him and making up lies and saying things. She should be there to stick up for him — let everybody know that’s not the way it is.”

Karen and other Gravano family members shouldn’t be held responsible for what Sammy did, her cousin says: “Karen is an amazing person. She has a big heart. If you know her, she’s like your best friend.”

By participating in VH1 Mob Wives, Karen feels she has a chance to set the record straight. “When they can see her tears and her story — what her days and nights were like — they’ll have a different outlook on it,” explains Frances. “You will see — she’s [doing this] because people have a totally different look on her than she really is.”

Frances also thinks that the whole series will clear up misconceptions about families of Cosa Nostra members. “Everybody thinks that they know the Mafia and the lifestyle — they have no  idea,” says Frances. “There are jobs that you have to hold. There are struggles that you do. There’s money and then loss of money — then not knowing if your family member is going to come back. It’s all of those things. Everybody has the same fear.”

But, she adds, “we are normal people like everybody else, just the lifestyle that you got into, that’s it. Look in your own household. People have bad things that happen in their family. It just not recognized. It’s not out there for the world to see. It’s in every culture, this just happens to be the Italian mob.”

For Karen, this show is the chance to redeem herself and her family.

“I knew everything, but now it’s out there for everybody to see,” says Frances. “I hope that it’s taken in a good way — that Karen can open up other people’s eyes and not keep them so narrow-minded and keeping one way of thinking of them. Hopefully it changes people’s minds.”

BFFs — do you think Karen will be able to live down the fact that her killer dad ratted out the mob?

- Lindsey DiMattina

More Mob Wives Stories:

1. Mob Wives Disgrace To Italian-Americans!
  2. Karen Gravano & Renee Graziano BFFs?
  3. Renee Graziano’s Family Ties To The Mob!

registry optimization

Posted at 9:15 AM on July 18, 2014

I read this paragraph completely concerning the resemblance of most up-to-date and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.

belinda

Posted at 2:12 PM on May 9, 2012

I agree that no ono should be judged by there parents .

Christine S

Posted at 8:09 PM on March 28, 2012

Free Sammy?? Your all Idiot’s! He’s not even in jail right now for the whole Gotti Mob situation! He’s in jail because him & his Family,Karen included were Running an Drug Ecxtasy ring in Arizona!!Karen can go ahead & try to clear her name but, will never clear her father’s.. What’s done is done & Yup! you live off all the dirty money & your book will earn some cash but, can’t change the fact’s! Your father is a Murderer & he did it for The Benjamin’s!!!

claire k

Posted at 6:23 PM on March 27, 2012

The 18 people that Sammy ” killed” were in the mob too. They knew the life and what could happen. I’m sorry–they are not victims. I do feel sorry for their families; but these people enjoyed the benefits of ” the life” just as Karen and her family did. I like Karen–she had courage going back to Staten Island and facing everyone. And I don’t blame her for defending Sammy–he is, after all, her father.

Moxie

Posted at 4:23 PM on March 26, 2012

Drita is such a beauty, she seems to have a chip on her shoulder and I cant figure out where her income comes from,…. not really my business. Karen has a lot of potential but should tone it down a touch, you dont have to fight everyone to get your point across. Renee, you need to find a way to peace, you cant change where you came from but you can change where youre going..it is a choice, be strong. One word, making money off of other people by extortion and shake downs is not noble…try writing a book like Karen, Drita should put out fitness tapes, stop dating wise guys, it never ends well, never.

D. Sawyer

Posted at 2:50 PM on March 26, 2012

THE BULL DID NOT RAT OUT GOTTI. GOTTI WITH HIS BIG MOUTH RATTED HIMSELF OUT AND RATTED OUT SAMMY ALSO. SAMMY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO DO WHAT HE DID.

Shante

Posted at 12:15 PM on February 14, 2012

Okay..I’ve thought about this, and you are all grown wom en..I seen that fight on the show, and I’ve got my opinions, but I don’t feel I’m goin to put it out there. I don’t want to fuel the fire.
What I’m thinking is this. What if, one of you would have fell over, and hit their head during that fight, and it killed them..Do you guys ever think?? Is this all worth going to prison over for the rest of your lives? I would hope not..I think you all need to stop this..Your acting like middle school girls. I know nobody wants anyone to get seriously hurt or killed God forbid. I think the whole bunch needs to squash this, and act like adults. And for the ones fueling the fire on the show STOPIT!!They are all beautiful ladies, and need to present themselves as such..The only one with presenting herself like a lady is ‘Big Ang’…She’s great!! Squash it ladies!!Let it go! Life is too short!

Shirlsport

Posted at 9:59 PM on June 26, 2011

If she is living off family money – she is guilty. None of these women work. Are they also getting Medicaid and welfare? What a rip off. Why are men in prison able to call wives several times a day.
Bad all the way around

texan

Posted at 10:24 PM on June 20, 2011

These women are trying to find their place in life with alot of baggage they can,t be judged by what the dads or husbands did but they can be judged by what they do the rest of their kife alone, they want us to know hey were tough no your dads were tough they were pathetic in our eyes but their still your fathers but try to get a life and go on u will never out run the past just close the door sometimes.

Donelle

Posted at 3:26 PM on June 20, 2011

I like her and the show. I don’t give a damn what anyone else thinks. No matter what that’s her father.

John

Posted at 4:52 PM on January 27, 2012

I wonder what the children of the 18 “that we know of” fathers he killed would agree with you. Your sad

stevie b.

Posted at 12:03 AM on May 30, 2011

karen, would love to meet you one day. e-mail me if you read this; i promise this will be interesting.

Nina

Posted at 11:44 PM on May 17, 2011

Go jump off a bridge. Praising these murderers and there knowing wives!

U r disgusting!!!

Posted at 12:40 PM on May 6, 2011

Normal!!!!! Karen is making money off of this. Enjoy your blood money, along with the rest of them!!!! Worrying about your Dad coming home????? Mine didn’t!!! Why!!! Because of your murdering family. Go back underground where you people belong. You have no place with the rest of us who don’t kill, steal and rob the rest of us who cherish life and do the right thing in life.!!!!

great Guys??? Wait until they want what you have!

Sean

Posted at 8:31 AM on May 4, 2011

Look, me being from South Philly I met alot of people like these over the years adn they really are some great guys!
PPl one talk about Sammy being a rat but in reality everybody gives up the tapes one way or another.

I say this to all who talk shit about Sammy

If you got bad things to say, why don’t you take a trip to Az. and tell him in person!

martha

Posted at 4:32 PM on April 26, 2011

I’m pissed that karen said f sammy the bull & f john gotti, I’m gangst & I’m coming home. So wack

The Rockman

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 26, 2011

Charlie Chaplin said: “It’s a ruthless world so you must be ruthless to cope with it.” Unlike Chin who never rapped, John opened his pie hole and got taped: thus pushing Sammy into quick sand. John unintentionally ratted Sammy out. You talk about a crime…you may as well have it committed it again in front of everybody. It’s like Charlie said, not Luciano….Chaplin: “It’s a ruthless world so you must be ruthless to cope with it.” Fuggedaboutit!

doctorluv

Posted at 2:44 PM on April 26, 2011

Some birds are not meant to be in a cage….their feathers & minds are TOO BRIGHT! FREE SAMMY! Hey! Karen’s Mother cooks the greatest Italian food….I mean kissin’ don’t last cookin’ do….WHO CARES! Karen is a model lady, f**k all you dweeby punk critics. FREE SAMMY!!

randy ralston

Posted at 2:03 PM on April 26, 2011

FREE SAMMY!

Whatever

Posted at 10:03 PM on April 22, 2011

There are jobs that you have to hold. There are struggles that you do. There’s money and then loss of money — then not knowing if your family member is going to come back. It’s all of those things. Everybody has the same fear…”

TRY BEING AN ARMY WIFE YOU TWIT. What you do and the life you live is no comparison to anything.

martha

Posted at 11:29 PM on April 21, 2011

I think karen can do what she wants & renee g, can jump off a bridge. She needs her daddys $$$ andpermission to do anything, so weak. Karen go handle ur bussiness and honor ur family.

mscap36

Posted at 12:22 AM on April 24, 2011

I saw the 1st episode & I fell in love with the show. Karen is my favorite on the show, & I think she should not be judged by what her father has done. She’s no joke though, I like her she has balls…do it Karen