Kirstin At 'American Idol:' Will Scotty McCreery Be In The Bottom Three After His 1st 'Boring' Performance?

Thu, April 21, 2011 5:26am EDT by 25 Comments

I thought Scotty McCreery was adorable April 20 (as usual), but the judges didn’t feel the same. Are they just trying to help get weaker contestants votes?

Scotty McCreery opened the “21st Century”-themed show of American Idol April 20 and like always, the 17-year-old country crooner was pitch perfect and charming. However, instead of praising him as they have the entire competition, all three judges — Randy Jackson, Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez — gave Scotty harsh critiques. Do you think they were trying to make the playing field more even for the rest of the contestants since Scotty has consistently out performed most everyone?

Personally, I loved how Scotty’s performance of “Swingin'” (which was made famous by LeAnn Rimes) gave him a chance to show off his famous lower register during the second verse — but the judges weren’t as complimentary.

“You gotta bring it really hard,” Randy said. “That was so safe, it was actually kind of boring. … There could have been a better song for you to sing.”

Unfortunately, both J. Lo and Steven reluctantly agreed.

Despite being torn to shreds, Scotty “aw shucks” McCreery took it like a champ and still managed to charm the socks off the studio audience, who wouldn’t stop cheering. Everyone — girls, guys, senior citizens and kids — seems to have fallen under Scotty’s simple spell. He has an “it” factor.

My other two favorite performers of the night were James Durbin and Lauren Alaina. James rocked out to Muse and put on quite the spectacle. From flaming hot pianos to this week’s marching band drummers, I appreciate how much creativity James puts into his covers each week.

Meanwhile, the youngest remaining contestant, Lauren, is still holding strong. (Thank goodness…there are only two girls left!) Lauren’s voice is effortless and controlled in a way that is rarely heard in a 16-year-old singer. I can’t wait for her to reach her full potential.

With only seven contestants remaining, I hate to see anyone go. However, since we have to lose someone, I think it’s Jacob Lusk or Stefano Langone‘s time. My ideal final four would be: Lauren, Scotty, James and Casey.

Who were YOUR favorite performers during “21st Century” night? Who do you think will get the boot? Sound off below!

GET MORE ON AMERICAN IDOL!:

1. Pia Toscano Parties With Her Dog
  2. American Idol Shocking Moments!
  3. Should Pia Date Mark Ballas?

marissa

Posted at 1:13 PM on May 13, 2011

i looooooololololololololololololololololololovevevevevevevev youuuuuuuu sssssoooooo much SCOTTY MCREERY lol

Blakely Parker

Posted at 9:27 PM on April 27, 2011

I Know Scotty Personaly My Cousin Is Close With Him. He Deserves To Win And So Far He Is BY FAR The Best. I Live Right Across From Him. He My Country Boy!! VOTE FOR SCOTTY!!!! ♥♥♥

LBP

Posted at 10:44 AM on April 29, 2011

Ok, I have to admit, Scotty did GREAT this Wednesday with You’ve Got A Friend!!! It was really good, surprised me, and I do think he’ll make it far, not because I love him now, but because he does have a lot of fans, and if he continues to do something just a little different & not come out each time making his voice sing the twangy country song, he’ll get a lot more fans. Especially hearing him this Wed, he clearly makes his voice sing the “country style” and he could actually branch out & really stretch if he didn’t do that all the time. I think it will be he and James in the finals.. Jacob has to go, he’s not all everyone thinks he is, either. He is always all over the place with his voice.

mesquite fran

Posted at 11:32 AM on April 27, 2011

James is hands-down the best voice on Idol….but then we all know that it is a popularity contest and in the hands of the teen-age girls…Just think Adam Lambert!!!! A beautiful voice like Pia’s was doomed, too many jealous little girls..

BJ

Posted at 7:22 PM on April 21, 2011

Last night was decent. Lauren is growing and if she can get the attitude soon she will make finals. Casey and James are strong. As for tonight send home Stefano, Haley or Jacob. Scotty has worn out his welcome but will last a lot longer. He should be in bottom 3 tonight BUT teeny country boppers will save him from that fate.

CJ

Posted at 1:46 PM on April 21, 2011

Scotty might be cute and what the 17yr old girls are into but he cannot sing. Compared to the other contestants he has the weakest vocals, always has. IF this were really about a singing contest then he would have been booted a long time ago. James, Casey and Haley are FAR better singers and musicians. You cannot deny that. As for performers go…James wins hands down.

datu

Posted at 2:18 PM on April 21, 2011

I agree, the best singers are booted out because of the fans of Scott. They should change the requirement, vote for the best singer,not for your favorite.

gbtw

Posted at 3:06 PM on April 25, 2011

there will be a new show for the best singers- “The Voice”… AI should stay as it is, as infuriating as it is sometimes. if scotty has more impassioned voters, he should win. that’s the point of the whole thing- a popularity contest.

Blakely Parker

Posted at 9:30 PM on April 27, 2011

Scotty The Best I Personaly Know Him.

simonsays

Posted at 12:32 PM on April 21, 2011

Does anyone else think Scotty is getting a little bit cocky?

joana

Posted at 12:42 PM on April 21, 2011

no casey is cocky

Tigger

Posted at 11:37 PM on April 30, 2011

NO, don’t see Scotty getting cocky…what are u seeing that prompts that comment (whoever it was that asked the ?) To those talking about Scotty’s apperance, way he holds mic, etc….what about James appearance, he has to ensure he’s noticed by makeing spectacle of self….at least Scotty doesn’t feel need to wear a tale…and I’m old, but isn’t that acid rock roster hairdo over?

Faith

Posted at 12:28 PM on April 21, 2011

Scotty is awesome… he goes to my high school he is such a nice guy! He can really sing, yeah that wasnt the best song choice, but everybody has an off night….he has the most votes every single week!

idolFAN

Posted at 12:26 PM on April 21, 2011

I’m a Scotty fan, but I thought his song choice was boring. Steven said something about wanting to see more ‘boot scooting’ – I don’t know if he meant ‘boot scootin’ boogie’ but that would have been a great song choice in my opinion.

nanlu

Posted at 11:15 AM on April 21, 2011

The night of song choices was not there for me last nite…. . James was the best of the night……hope Scotty can hang on….looking for a better show next week..

gbtw

Posted at 3:03 PM on April 25, 2011

james is by far the best performer and the best at connecting with a song and making the audience feel it (though jacob is right with him on that, USUALLY). i thought haley’s performance was also pretty good, and casey’s, but lauren, scotty, jacob and stefano were all snoozers.

The Pride of Curry

Posted at 10:49 AM on April 21, 2011

I think my biggest problem was that song WASN’T made famous by LeAnn Rimes. It came out in 1983, and was sang by John Anderson. Rimes’ version is a LOT more uptempo, but Scotty sang the Anderson version (I guess as “making it his own”). If you’re going to do “21st century music,” then do it.

jess

Posted at 2:19 PM on April 21, 2011

I sooo agree with you, I was mad at the comment about Lee Ann. I love the John Anderson version way better. They should not have excluded John Anderson like that.

gbtw

Posted at 3:00 PM on April 25, 2011

interesting! i didn’t know that… i actually thought scotty showed more range than usual with that performance, but thought the song choice wasn’t going to work for america. alas, he made it… i hope he doesn’t make it to the finals, though i like him just fine. he’s a little boring and awkward to me.

MARIA

Posted at 10:34 AM on April 21, 2011

SCOTTY isnt as takented as you would want to believe. His vocal range is limited and if your IDEA of the IT FACTOR is one looking like the MAD MAGAZINE ICON, ALFRED E NEWMAN, then he is your man! I cannot take the creepy way he holds the mic, and the even creepier way he sings with that crooked mouth YUCK!

jean

Posted at 10:28 AM on April 21, 2011

I love Scotty,he not only can sing great.but looks great on stage. All of them are good,but Scotty is wonderful.I’ll buy his albums any day.

mae

Posted at 7:17 AM on April 21, 2011

Casey need to go and they need to stop bringing paul back he hurt my ears

joana

Posted at 11:56 AM on April 21, 2011

i love u

gbtw

Posted at 2:58 PM on April 25, 2011

lol… it’s true. i liked paul during the season, but enough with him. same with all of them. that “losers’ performance” was HORRID. none of them meshed, and the crew couldn’t get the mics on/off right, so it was atrocious. not to mention, i’m so over pia i could puke (and, pia, never wear pants— NEVER). i mean, her voice was good, but do we have to have her shoved down our throats after america NOT voting for her! sigh…

becca

Posted at 6:55 AM on April 21, 2011

Lauren has got to go !!!!!! The winner of this contest not only needs to be an outstanding singer but outstanding performer too. She definitely is a fantastic singer, but come on now, performer???????? I wouldn’t pay 10 cents to go see her at a concert, but I would pay $20 for her CD. If you can’t give your fans the whole package, then stay in the studios making records.