Demi Lovato Confesses In New ABC Interview: I Cut Myself Because I Was Ashamed Of My Body

Tue, April 19, 2011 12:01pm EDT by 6 Comments

The Disney star reveals on April 22 why she had an emotional breakdown and admits she feels horrible for hitting her backup dancer. Will you watch?

Demi Lovato, 18, wants to “open the eyes” of her young female fans. Demi sat down with ABC’s Robin Roberts to explain her life-long battle with an eating disorder and why she resorted to cutting herself. The starlet has spoken with fans since leaving rehab at Timberline Knolls, a leading residential treatment center in Illinois. But April 22 will be the first time she’s gone in depth about her violent altercation and leaving the Camp Rock 2 Tour.

“The real reason why I’m sitting down with you is to open up the eyes of so many young girls, that it doesn’t have to be this way,” Demi says. “[Cutting] was a way of expressing my own shame, of myself, on my own body. I was matching the inside to the outside. And there were some times where my emotions were just so built up, I didn’t know what to do. The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself.”

Demi goes on to say that she went through a downward spiral — and hit bottom when she attacked her backup dancer Alex Welch.

“I literally was so emotionally whacked out that I took it out on someone that meant a lot to me. I take 100 percent, full responsibility. I feel horrible. [She] was my friend.”

Demi adds that she’s had a “a really unhealthy relationship with food,” and it caused her to develop a horrible eating disorder.

“I was performing concerts on an empty stomach,” she says. “I was losing my voice from purging. I was self-medicating. I was not taking medication for depression … I developed an eating disorder, and that’s kind of what I’ve been dealing with ever since.”

But Demi appears to be making her comeback and we are behind her all the way!

Tune in this Friday to 20/20 at 10pm for the interview!

— Chloe Melas

Demi Lovato Loses Respect For Joe Jonas!

Selena Gomez Channels Demi Lovato — Do You Like It?

Demi Lovato Is Back To Work!

joseph halley

Posted at 1:49 PM on September 13, 2011

I know that demi will bounce back very soon,shes a very strong person,abd i love her im a big fan,and her new song means alot to me i listen to it four times a day.demmi take care cant wait to see you live agian your so awsome!

MarianaLovatoFan4Ever♥

Posted at 12:34 PM on May 3, 2011

I’M STILL A DEMI LOVATO FAN! :D AND I’M PROUD OF IT. MY PARENTS SAY THAT SHE IS AN EXAMPLE TO ME. THEY ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WITH HER, AND THAT’S WHY I SHOWED THEM THIS VIDEO. I WANTED TO TELL THEM THAT THIS IS NOT DEMI LOVATO. THIS IS DEMETRIA DEVONNE LOVATO HART, AN ORDINARY GIRL. JUST ANOTHER PERSON LIKE ME, OR LIKE MY SISTER, OR LIKE MY BEST FRIEND; THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT SHE’S TRYIN’ TO SURVIVE IN A WORLD THAT IS NOT WITH HER. I THINK THAT DEMI LOVATO IS A VERY SPECIAL PERSON. NOT BE0CAUSE SHE’S FAMOUS. I THINK THAT WAY BECAUSE I MET HER (not in person) WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. YES, WHEN SHE WAS ANGELA IN ‘BARNEY AND FRIENDS’. AND DEMI LOVATO SAYS THAT SHE WASN’T AGREE WITH THE FORM OF HER BODY, BUT TO ME SHE ALWAY’S HAVE BEEN THE PRETTY, TALENTED, INTELLIGENT AND INCREDIBLE PERSON. I KNOW THAT SHE’S IN A VERY DIFFICULT MOMENT, CAUSE’ SHE’S TRYING TO MAKE UP WITH HER FANS (with me not, because I will always supporting her!) AND SOME PEOPLE OF HER PAST. I WON’T GET INTO SITUATIONS THAT ARE NOT MINE, BUT I JUST WANTED TO SAY WHAT I WAS FEELIN RIGHT NOW.
DEMI, I DON’T REALLY HOPE YOU TO READ THIS, BUT IF YOU DO, IT COULD BE A GREAT SURPRISE TO ME, CAUSE’ I’M ONE OF THE FEW REAL FANS THAT WERE SUPPORTING YOU WHEN YOU WERE IN YOUR WORST TRYING TIMES. I KNOW THAT WE ARE SO DISTANCED, SO I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU CAN AVOID ANY OBSTACLE IN YOUR LIFE, CAUSE’ YOU’RE AN AMAZING AND STRONG PERSON. I LOOVE YOU DEMI, YOU ARE AN EXAMPLE TO ME, REALLY, AND I KNOW THAT YOU WON’T DISAPPOINT ME.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
♥I LOVE YOU♥
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

h

Posted at 5:01 PM on April 19, 2011

GOOD FOR HER! She is so strong!

muntha

Posted at 8:45 AM on June 29, 2011

ilove u i am ur biggest fan i have all ur posters and went to all ur concerts selena gomez u rockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

michelle

Posted at 11:33 PM on April 4, 2012

DEMI i love your new song that is called GIVE YOUR HEART A BREAK

michelle

Posted at 11:49 PM on April 4, 2012

DEMI i hope u get 2 see this but i love the song called GIVE YOUR HEAT A BREAK.Many people around here where i live say u got of SO RANDON AND SONY WITH A CHANCE BEAUSE u smoked and people sended u a place so they can help u not 2 smoke again cuz u r too young. i dont belive all of that rumor.lots of people belived that but i think they don t belive that any more.LOVEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUU VERYYYY MUCHHHHHH.IIIIIII HOPEEEE UUUU GETTTT 2 SEEE THISSSSSSS.LOVEEEE UUUU VERYYYY MUCHHHHHH