Kirstin Says: Oh, No! Darren Criss & The Warblers Warbled On The 'Today' Show — And Not In A Good Way!

Tue, April 19, 2011 1:06pm EDT by 14 Comments

I don’t know if it was the microphones or what, but ‘Glee’ actor Darren Criss and his back up ‘Warblers’ sounded out of breath and out of tune by the end of ‘Soul Sister’ on the ‘Today’ show April 19!

On Glee, Darren Criss is like a breath of fresh air. He’s charming, handsome, charismatic and pitch perfect. However, when he performed this morning on the Today show, he sounded like a warbler — and not like “The Warblers.”

When the 24-year-old actor started “Soul Sister,” the first thing I noticed was some sort of funky auto-tune with his mic. Other than that, it all seemed fine. By the time the chorus hit, things had changed. It seemed like Darren was out of breath from all the dancing and the high notes — which is something for which I don’t blame him. I couldn’t get up there and sing that well live on national TV either. But it seems like someone should have caught all of this in rehearsal, or maybe his back up singers could have taken more of the pressure off of him. That’s a tough solo!

Nevertheless, Darren is so adorable, I can’t hold one weak performance against him. I cannot wait to see him return as Blaine tonight on Glee, can you? What did YOU think of the Warblers’ performance? Sound off below!

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

guardian angel

Posted at 9:06 AM on March 31, 2012

It is the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I may just I want to counsel you some interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles referring to this article. I desire to read more issues approximately it!

chelly

Posted at 10:06 PM on September 24, 2011

Darren Criss is actually an amazing singer, if anyone has seen A Very Potter Musical (Which is all live), you can see he is wonderful. To me it sounded as though though the acoustics were off, or as though the microphones where weird.

shelly

Posted at 9:56 PM on April 25, 2011

As much as I enjoy the singing on the show—this just goes to show how much the singing is “doctored” and “pre-recorded”—you can NEVER believe what you see and hear on TV and in movies!!

Angela

Posted at 9:11 PM on April 22, 2011

the guys are the show are not extras. They are professional actors hired to play the warblers. Several of them have character names. Go look at it on IMDB.

Angela

Posted at 9:10 PM on April 22, 2011

the guys are the show are not extras. They are actors hired to plays the warblers. Several of them have character names. Go look at it on IMDB.

Backstage

Posted at 9:08 PM on April 22, 2011

Yeah it was awful. And Chriss is a very good performer .

Must be the auto tune. I have always wondered why everybody on TV is pitch – perfect. Fantastic singers all ! WOW !

I remember what happenned to Boyz 2 men at the NBC Tree Lighting in New York . What a letdown.

blica

Posted at 3:02 PM on April 20, 2011

Yeah, the Warblers songs are arranged by the Tufts Beelzebubs and then the Bubs record the background while Darren records the lead vocals that are laid on top of the background track. The guys on the show are just extras, not the actual Bubs.

David Safian

Posted at 3:21 AM on April 20, 2011

Even if Darren was having a bit of an off day. The real problem seemed to me that the sound engineering on the show was CR*P. It sounded to me like they were singing in a tube. If the sound engineer screws up it can make it very hard for singers to hear themselves and they tend to tighten up. If it was this bad on the tv, how bad was it on their monitors?

I have been a karaoke host and have made people who are mediocre singers sound better with the limited equipment at my disposal, than the engineers at NBC did with the Warblers.

You have to be in a bit of a zone to sing well. If something messes with your confidence during your performance, for any reason, it can and usually does negatively impact a performance; especially on fast or complicated numbers.

Chatty

Posted at 3:59 PM on April 19, 2011

I thought the warblers were frm Tufts? He sounded live and the others looked to be lip synching.

Lee Keels

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 19, 2011

Darren is the only one of the Warblers singing live on the Today Show. The group that performs with him are essentially “extras.” The actual singers are the Tufts Beelzebubs of Tufts University. Remember, it is next to impossible to dance and sing at the same time unless you are a truly seasoned performer.

Ray

Posted at 1:09 AM on April 20, 2011

And yet young performers on Broadway manage to do it all the time–8 performances a week. I like Darren on Glee, but after listening to him singing painfully off-key (twice!) on Today I understand why everyone on the show lip-syncs their songs.

Britt

Posted at 5:53 AM on September 18, 2011

I will admit that this performance was pretty awful but you can look up plenty of performances of Darren Criss live where he sings amazingly, including the two musicals he starred in by Starkid on youtube (A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel). Just because he had an off day on the Today show doesn’t mean he can’t sing at all.

Mike

Posted at 1:26 PM on April 19, 2011

Remember these kids dont sing…They all lip-sync…I believe the pre-recording is also others voices and not theirs..

Watch the show and see how many times the camera cuts when they sing..You see them sing two or three words and its cut, next line roll-em…There is never a solid view on the singers….Plus their lips dont match the words…95% off beat no match…You know like those old chinese movies dubbed in English—Same…

Frank

Posted at 9:09 PM on April 22, 2011

the actors who play the Warblers ALL sing. Telly Leung is a Broadway actor/singer and graduate of CMU, Jon Hall and Nelson Beato all sing as session singers FOR tracks on Glee and all of them are singers and performers.