'Glee' First Listen: Charice Sounds Better Than Celine Dion In 'All By Myself' Cover!

Thu, April 14, 2011 5:46pm EST by 108 Comments

Our favorite ‘Glee’ guest star, Charice, returns to the hit show April 19. Listen to the preview of her solo — she sounds brilliant, as usual!

Charice Pempengco continues to blow us away — and this clip from her return to Glee April 19 is no exception! We’ve heard her cover Eric Carmen‘s “All By Myself” in concerts before, but we’re stoked to see it again when she returns as Sunshine Corazon on Fox’s hit TV show.

Between Charice’s upcoming singles, her first big budget film role and her return to Glee, we hope to see more and more of this Filipino superstar in the United States. Are YOU excited about her return to Glee? Do you like that she’s singing “All By Myself” again or do you wish she’d pick a new song? Sound off below!

Kirstin Benson

Want more Charice? Read more!

1. Charice sings Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way”
  2. Listen to a preview of Charice’s new song, “Louder!”
  3. Charice is in a new movie — will she sing?

Maria

Posted at 12:45 PM on April 19, 2011

I think right now Charice is the greatest singer in the world while not taking anything away from the other greats (Celine, Barbara, Whitney, Mariah, etc.) but she is definitely up there with them. She can belt it out like the great divas but she can also do pop, soul, rock, country, jazz, and rap! She does all this without the bells, whistles, pyrotechnics, theatrics that a lot of singers have when performing. No skimpy outfits for her. People watch Charice to listen. She don’t need to dance around on stage wearing a skimpy outfit with a snake around her neck. When she covers a song, she owns it. I am amazed by her vocal range and power. Her low range is amazing and her high range is unbelievable and to sustain it in perfect pitch in ABM for what seemed like forever — OMG. The fact that she is tiny and Asian and does not fit into the typical mold of what a singer looks like (usually white or black) just makes her more fascinating and is the fodder for a lot of discussion on youtube and other social networks.

alexander

Posted at 8:27 AM on April 19, 2011

charice is simply awesome! :)

Lian

Posted at 4:01 AM on April 19, 2011

Charice is awesome, but hope in the next Glee episodes, she will perform an up to date song…or her own songs?…wow that would be dope….

RDR

Posted at 1:02 AM on April 19, 2011

After a long (frustrating) wait for Charice to return to glee, I’d say waiting is paying off big time, I love that she is singing all by myself, I do wish that they’ have her sing younger songs like maybe Halo (I love that youtube version where it seems like she was singin for magazine people). ANyway, she came out with 4 new releases on itunes today! I downloaded all 4: All by myself-glee, One Day, Before it explodes and a feature from Greyson Chance song- Waiting outside the lines-remix. I am super happy! Looking forward to glee tomorrow!

blubughaw

Posted at 12:01 AM on April 19, 2011

I love the haters. You guys are brave! lol. It’s like walking into a Medieval torture chamber, isn’t it?

muskrat

Posted at 10:47 PM on April 18, 2011

I’ve heard Celine sing live 5 years ago in Las Vegas Caesar’s Palace “The Coliseum” and must say that she is a terrific singer. I also have seen Charice sing live a few times and I must say that both are equally amazing singers, the only thing that separates the two in my opinion is how tiny Charice is compared to Celine then comes up with that huge voice high or low is totally amazing, I’ve never seen or heard anything like it, awesome!!

muskrat

Posted at 10:25 PM on April 18, 2011

Thank you Hollywood Life for loving Charice, as usual you guys are awesome. And I agree, she is so amazing, I haven’t
heard anything like it in my life, her voice is so crisp and gives me goosebumps all the time, no one and I mean no one has given me such a feeling in all these years. Her high register is equally amazing as her low register. Way to go Charice, way to go Hollywood Life, you guys rock!!

babes

Posted at 8:29 PM on April 18, 2011

Yes, she is awesome. Goosebumps galore!!!

bigmusiclover

Posted at 7:40 PM on April 18, 2011

First of all, I love Celine…so much so that I named my daughter after her. I love Charice so much so that I can’t go a day without watching a music video of hers. Celine is Celine and Charice is Charice. Please don’t compare as they are great singers in their own right. One is already a legend and the other is an international superstar in the making. Charice’s idol is Celine since she was a little girl and the 1st song she learned was a Celine song. Is it any wonder she loves Celine and her songs. Throw in the fact that both singers were mentored by the lengendary songwriter/producer David Foster and one can see the similarities in style as David did his arrangement for ALL By Myself for both. As David says…Celine ‘the legend’ is passing the baton to a singer worthy of Celine’s singing stature. Whether Charice can reach the world record number of record sales sold by Celine is a lofty goal and remains to be seen. But any music listener worth his salt would be a fool or a envious liar to denigrate Charice’s obvious vocal talents! Peace!

idolming

Posted at 7:11 PM on April 18, 2011

She can be Celine, Whitney, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Etta James, JB, Sarah Mclachlan etc. etc. & she’s also the female MJ! How i wish she can be Eva Cassidy too!

bing

Posted at 3:24 PM on April 17, 2011

For me Charice is flawless performer. Celine D. is her idol. I do believe Charice is the best singer/performer in this generation. She also good pperson inside and out.
Thank you Holywood Life for writing about Charice. Tahnk you also to ALL the people who supported her from the very beginning.
To the top baby like a pyramid!

viriliter_agite

Posted at 6:27 AM on April 17, 2011

I’m just wondering, how come they didn’t use the version of ABM in DFF concert that would totally cause more explosives than this version. anywei..cha has never been blessed and she deserves all of this…the best singer ever…i would love to hear her singing adele’s song “someone like you” OMG that would be epic….

pacoy

Posted at 9:08 PM on April 18, 2011

In Glee, Sunshine Corazon (Charice) is an exchange student, remember? Story of campus life. She’s an amateur singer, like all the ND and VA singers/performers. That’s why she just sing it on a normal rendition. The same as “Listen”.

So we can’t expect from the Glee makers to allow Charice to sing it on an extra ordinary version the way she’s doing in her professional concerts.

Transformerme

Posted at 2:50 AM on April 17, 2011

I wasn’t a believer before of Charice until I saw her personally on DFF concert. She was amazing and with the struggle she experienced and turn it around to what she is now. Meeting her personally and remains humble makes me not only a believer but also a big fan. We are only entitled to our opinion on who we like or dislike but we also have to give her a chance to prove herself and with this rendition of ABM, I think it is fair that she killed the song. Also, she is did not impersonate other celebrity but to cover their songs which she did justice.

Joe

Posted at 2:05 AM on April 17, 2011

I said Charice sounds better now than Celine. Sweet bird of youth. Got it?

Joe

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 17, 2011

I think Charice now sounds better Celine. Sweet bird of youth!Got it!

1994mmk

Posted at 12:58 AM on April 17, 2011

I LIKE THEM BOTH!! Without Celine there is no comparison>So We have the original and the cover song!!

Ryan Skjord

Posted at 12:03 AM on April 16, 2011

OMG! watch here at youtube singin the same song shes insanely good!!!…watch?v=Y6ky0n7nbC4&­feature=player_embedded

Marc

Posted at 11:31 PM on April 15, 2011

Im an idiot. Thank You… I hate myself…

dont worry bout it

Posted at 2:12 PM on April 16, 2011

Im SO glad you know that! and i know im not the only one that is gald! so peace :P

Marc

Posted at 9:23 PM on April 15, 2011

can’t she ever stop?

Why don’t she stops doing Celine songs??? She only does Celine songs! She is like the Lara Fabian evolution… she is like a Celine impersonator from ASIA. She wants to be Celine. Does anybody notices that?

I hate her and I wish her to stop using celine songs and versions!!

Zee

Posted at 2:43 AM on April 16, 2011

Ask the one who wanted her to sing these songs. Whitney, Celine they’re the most requested cuz she can sing them. People who haven’t heard and seen her performance will experience like the rest did cuz that’s their request.
Also performing with David at his show that’s all about his music means singing his music so she can’t help that.
She’s not impersonating Celine. You’re too insecure. She has her own style which you don’t know and will never know cuz you’re too busy hating her.
Charice is good on a lot of things in music, she’s responding right now to what teenagers are listening to duh she’s a teen. RnB, Pop, Classic, Ballad, Rap, Dance, Jazz, Contemp… missing a bit but all these Charice has been singing all her life mix into one body.
If you hate her then say no more. I saw comments from Celine fans that are nasty and stupid about her and surprisingly they’re from 30-40 years old people. Us young fans of Charice are more of an adult than they are haha
Charice and her team are in the right track.

Zee

Posted at 3:13 AM on April 16, 2011

We’re not bothered by opinions we’ll talk back with our opinions but trash talk that’s beyond saying than haters will get to know of her crab killers. You know not everyone share the same manner so you’ll see aggressive fans defending Charice.
Hating her for singing cover songs tch wait hasn’t Celine sang covers and is still is? All By Myself by Eric Carmen. No hasn’t everyone been doing that since music history. Music is for everyone. Hearing another sing from another is not to cry over.

Charice will sing her songs.

Zee

Posted at 4:48 AM on April 16, 2011

Ask those who want her to do the songs. Whitney, Celine songs are requested songs for her to sing cuz she can sing them. People who heard about her but haven’t seen her perform those songs are requesting her for them. Even performing with David she can’t help it but to sing his songs cuz it’s his show that’s all about his music.
Charice is not impersonating Celine or anyone. Haters are blinded by their hate that they don’t see what Charice is capable off. She is good at a lot of music genre RnB, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classic, Ballad, Contempoary, Dance….missing a bit but these are part of her life. All into one body. She’s responding more to RnB and Pop reaching out to her age group, songs teens are listening too surprise surprise she’s a teen.
If you hate her than say no more. I saw comments from Celine fans that are nasty and stupid and surprisingly they’re by 30-40 years old middle aged people. If they are fans that’s been with Celine since the beginning shouldn’t they be more understanding.

KV

Posted at 5:40 AM on April 16, 2011

She doesn’t sing ONLY Celine Dion songs. She has an entire album of songs just made for her! And “hate” is such a strong word, for someone you probably haven’t even met… and coming from someone who probably doesn’t have half the talent as hers.

KC

Posted at 6:22 AM on April 16, 2011

oh for heaven sake please excuse me, for the record it is not Charice who decided to sing that song! It’s probably Mr. Ryan Murphy or the other guys from Glee! She only does what the Glee management asks her what to sing. And by the way, whether she’s impersonating Celine and singing Celine’s songs… ask yourself who could ever sing those song matching up Celine’s caliber… the answer is: NO ONE BUT CHARICE!

Jan

Posted at 2:08 PM on April 16, 2011

RIGHT!!!! :D

joycevidad

Posted at 11:12 AM on April 16, 2011

Your stupid person she’s not the one who decide what to sing,,, is the producer of the show.. your stupid and racist…

jim,

Posted at 11:05 PM on April 16, 2011

why is it that whenever someone doesnt like charice, they are called names and put down. isn’t everybody entitled to their own opinions? nobody calls you stupid for liking charice. and btw, she doesn’t just impersonate celine, she also impersonates whitney houston and uses other artists songs like lady gagas and beyonces. just sing pyramid.

omg

Posted at 3:46 AM on April 17, 2011

Mind your own business,ok?She can sing whatever she wants to sing and whatever the manager or director wants.What would you mind is your usage of grammar that you thought is right,Hey,your pronoun doesn’t agree with another pronoun.Let me correct your grammar Mr,Jim,(Isn’t everybody entitled to his own opinion?)Got it?Leave Charice alone.

pacoy

Posted at 9:17 PM on April 18, 2011

Charice is the best! You said she impersonate Celine, Whitney, etc. that’s super talent! you envy her right? Maybe you can’t even sing your National Anthem properly :(

Mil

Posted at 2:35 PM on April 19, 2011

@Jim..yah you too get a life…you n mark so annoying. I agree with joyce he deserved to be called stupid..you get labelled like that when you open your mouth without thinking first of whats behind the story of her singing those songs.everybody sings everybody elses music even elvis did that its called revival. So if you dont want to be called names you start acting right. Entitled to their own opinion? get your reasons right.

anromable

Posted at 5:50 PM on April 18, 2011

I pity you. That’s simply called ENVY

mj

Posted at 8:09 PM on April 18, 2011

@marc.. she is in a tv show and does not haev to choose what to sing. It is the producers of teh show that choses the songs for each episode based on the theme or title, got it?

In teh David FOster and Friends show, David Foster makes her sing “Celine” songs because those songs were wither written, produced or arranged by DFF himslef. The DFF show is a celebration or showcase of David’s music career so naturally all artists there has to sing songs in which he has been a part of. Hate is a big word and stop wathcing her videos or dont follow news about her so you wont have that ill feeling. Stop hating her or any person becasue it just makes you ill-feelign and you cannot have internal peace when you keep hate in your heart!

gab

Posted at 9:19 PM on April 18, 2011

idiot!

pacoy

Posted at 9:23 PM on April 18, 2011

@Marc… you hate Charice, i’m sure you hate your sisters, mother, friends and everybody. Something is wrong with you! You’re full of hate. I’m sure you’ll die young, or live long alone that nobody care for your needs.

mildred

Posted at 2:19 PM on April 19, 2011

@Mark…before you bark..check out her other songs including the one from bruno mars…she doesnt sound like celine she never will. Glee picked the song for her and she sounds great at whatever songs she sings. All by myself is not a celine song its Eric Carmen..get a life you hater.

agno

Posted at 8:45 PM on April 15, 2011

charice is using her SIGNATURE MICROPHONE.. love it

PaPa_george

Posted at 8:02 PM on April 15, 2011

My feeling of Charice rendition of songs is different than great singers because of her humble beginnings up to where she is now.Like from rugs to riches and her struggles in life and from a broken family as well.At her age I feel great for her success and that I allowed myself to be a fan and insane cause I laugh and smile watching and listening to her voice and let alone have my tears roll down my cheeks just listening and viewing on my computer All BY MYSELF.Am not singing it,It Is What It Is.If you don’t feel this way,you’re not a fan like me.

GTR09

Posted at 7:53 PM on April 15, 2011

Why do Hollywoodlife always use the same Charice picture on every Charice issue? Do you guys have anymore pictures of her other than that one? That picture was taken like in 2009.

paperroses

Posted at 11:38 PM on April 18, 2011

This picture is my most favorite one on Charice. I LOVE this pic of her.Always fresh. GO Holywood.

Krista0

Posted at 4:34 PM on April 15, 2011

Goodness! There is something addictive about her voice. It is strong and solid yet soothing. Amazing girl and amazing voice!

jundo24

Posted at 3:25 PM on April 15, 2011

Love it!!! can’t wait to see her on Glee.

Lolita

Posted at 3:11 PM on April 15, 2011

Better than 99.99 percent of the singers here in the US or the world for that matter! She is 100 percent talent and less gimmick!