'All My Children' & 'One Life To Live' Have Been Canceled! Are You Devastated?

Thu, April 14, 2011 3:10pm EDT by 6 Comments

The two major daytime classics are the latest casualties in the gradual extinction of soap operas.

Erica Kane, we hardly knew ye. ABC announced April 14 that it will be canceling soaps All My Children (ending in Sept. 2011) and One Life to Live (ending in Jan. 12.) The daytime classics are both being replaced by new talk shows — one about food called The Chew, and another about makeovers called The Revolution.

In a statement (via TVLine), ABC Daytime President Brian Frons had this to say:

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is. We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history. Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Gayle

Posted at 2:06 PM on January 16, 2012

I am so upset with ABC. How can they take something off the air that means so much to so many people? I have been watching the shows since i can remember, I watched them with my gram and mom and then my children and grandchildren and now they took them away. I think that reality TV is so awful. I hope both shows bomb for them and some one will pick up the shows because i will be watching.

Rosemarie

Posted at 11:56 AM on April 15, 2011

I have been a loyal watcher of AMC and OLTL since they came on. I used to listen on my radio when I was working. They will both be missed a great deal. I will not be watching the new shows about cooking or any thing else. I am hoping that another network picks up both of these show. If they do I guarantee that I will be watching.

Posted at 5:23 AM on April 15, 2011

Soap Operas will become the “thing in the past.” Reality TV is taking over the networks!

Arlette

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 14, 2011

I love All my Children and have been watching ever sinc it began. I have grown old wiTh this show and have many memories. I will not give up hope that ABC will reconsider.:-(

Chelsea

Posted at 5:55 PM on April 14, 2011

This is just a sad day in daytime history. Many many people, boys and girls grew up with watching these soaps with our mothers, grandmothers, and even great grandmothers. Its sad to know that I won’t be watching those same shows with my grandchildren. So sad…

Elska

Posted at 3:49 PM on April 14, 2011

This is really sad news to me. My mom and I watch OLTL together every day as just our bonding time. It’s really sad that our “fix” (We’re addicted to it XD) will be taken from us.