7-Year-Old Gets Plastic Surgery To Avoid Bullying — Can This Be A Good Thing?

Thu, April 14, 2011 4:28pm EDT by 28 Comments

Cami Roselles wanted to protect her daughter from playground taunting, so she had the first grader go under the knife to pin back her ears.

Just like 7-year-old Samantha Shaw, more and more children are getting plastic surgery — and many of them are being operated on to avoid being bullied! But is this a solution and is it OK?

Thanks to the Little Baby Face Foundation, Samantha, a first grader from Sotuh Dakota, had her ears done– free of charge — by Dr. Steven Pearlman, a NY surgeon who tells ABC‘s  Good Morning America that children with abnormalities could face terrible treatment from other kids: “In my book and [that of] most of the medical community, the plastic surgery community, ears that stick out is not a cosmetic issue.”

Sadly though, kids weren’t the ones who were picking on Samantha. Her mother Cami Roselles tells ABC that it was more likely to be adults that made cruel comments! And Cami was sick of all the taunting.

According to the School Bullying Council, Samantha’s surgery was rough and the 7-year-old didn’t take well to the anesthesia. But, the operation seemed to be worthwhile once Samantha got a look at her new ears!

But, what do YOU think of this?

Some experts say surgical procedures should not be used as a fix, the council says. “Changing appearance is not the solution,” Cheryl Rode, director of clinical operations at the San Diego Center for Children, says of bullying. “We never want to hold the victim responsible for the bullying.”

What do you think, HollyMoms? Would you have your child operated on to prevent bullying? Take our poll and let us know!

See More on Bullying Here:

1. Scary School Bullying Video: The Victim Was Suspended, Too!
  2. Mom Arrested For Driving Daughter To Beat Up Facebook Enemy!
  3. How To Prevent Your Kid From Being Bullied Online

Tall Silent Guy

Posted at 5:45 PM on July 1, 2013

Maybe she couldn’t get through a single day at school without some kind of cruel comments from the other kids. Maybe she was being subjected to physical abuse as well as verbal. I remember from my school days that big or protruding ears presented a tempting target for flicking or pinching. All these people criticizing the decision to perform plastic surgery should remain silent unless they have walked a mile in Samantha’s shoes.

greg

Posted at 12:46 PM on November 12, 2011

this is a very good thing
to avoid humiliation cause the kids will call her names and she will be bloqed by this
i survived this i know what is it it was so difficult and unfortunetly my parent havent do it for me
but now im adult i will do it for my self

Christina

Posted at 5:49 PM on May 31, 2011

If they were so concerned about her looks why did they stop combing her hair after the surgery? This is just ridiculous.

Jennifer

Posted at 8:55 AM on May 3, 2011

I think they pinned them back a little to much and it took away from her facial features.. But all in all, at least she is happier with herself!!! Her self confidence will soar now! God Bless!

Christina

Posted at 5:50 PM on May 31, 2011

Not really. More than likely since she was so small when her parents agreed that she needed to change her looks (instead of loving her as she is) that she’ll probably end up with an eating disorder or an addiction to plastic surgery. Or both.

saara

Posted at 8:42 PM on October 17, 2013

Im sure her patents love her the way she was. Problem is other people aren’t so kind. As a mother of a bullied child i think we have to do what we can do spare our children from the torment of bullying.

Jess

Posted at 5:53 PM on May 2, 2011

i thought she looked better before. Her parents should have just told her to love herself and that she is perfect the way she is.

lovemetomorrow

Posted at 11:21 AM on April 29, 2011

I think she was more adorable before, she looks… characterless now.

JC

Posted at 7:11 PM on April 26, 2011

It is a really common procedure in Canada, and has less complications than the surgery for putting tubes in ones ears for ear infections and such, some times you just gota do what you just gota do!!!

Julie

Posted at 8:20 AM on April 22, 2011

The mother just inadvertently told her daughter that she was ugly and needed fixing!

jeni

Posted at 4:35 PM on April 17, 2011

i would like to say that i was constantly picked on in school for everything from the way i looked to the way i acted to the way i talked because of my disabilities. I learned to love myself for who I am and also the God created me the way I am because if everyone was created the same then it would make for a very boring world. people who pick on others are insecure about themselves that is why they are bullying others. This mom having her daughter undergo surgery just because she is being bullied is not teaching her the right things in life.

natalie0908

Posted at 2:50 PM on April 17, 2011

THIS IS A SHAME!!!! why on earth would a 7 year-old child WANT to get plastic surgery because she is being taunted by ADULTS??? its idiotic that adults are making fun of her and that her mother caved into this. you should always tell your kids that they are beautiful no matter what anyone says. many kids have ears that stick out, and it should not bother tham at all. its a shame… to me, she looks a lot uglier now than she did before… people these days…

Christine

Posted at 1:19 PM on April 17, 2011

I am just astounded that a parent would rather “fix” her daughter than have to deal with the adults in the child’s life. Who does that? It wasn’t even children bullying her. The mom should have stepped up and protected her daughter from the remarks than to cave and make the child feel insecure. I would safely bet that this lil girl will now grow up picking herself apart til she has absolutely NO self esteem left. GOOD PARENTING THERE MOM.

Shannon Blaney-Diforte

Posted at 12:36 PM on April 17, 2011

I want to say to this mother that her daughter is beautiful regardless of the surgery. My own daughter was born with large, stick out ears. It’s been a prominent feature about her, and it makes her who she is. I don’t look at this as anything shameful. She knows she is perfect the way she is, just as your daughter is. Although it’s too late to reach this mother, I would like to say to any mother contemplating this surgery for their child, to wait for the child to mature and grow into his/her ears. Remember that they are ever changing at this stage, and to alter something now, could backfire in an attempt to ‘normalize’ a condition that may adjust if just left alone.

Heather G

Posted at 9:02 PM on April 16, 2011

if my kid had those ears, i would fix them whether she was bullied or not….
maybe she was bullied because of her hair cut…???

Leslie

Posted at 5:02 PM on April 15, 2011

her ears were cuter before! I think she looked darling.

Shame on the adults that commented on this child’s ears as being anything less than perfectly wonderful.

her new ears are nice though, and it seems that they make her happy from the picture, so I guess all’s well that end’s well.

Annie

Posted at 12:32 PM on April 15, 2011

Plastic surgery is too expensive. A handgun is cheaper…

innerspace

Posted at 4:31 PM on April 15, 2011

Annie, you’re a psycho. Of course, that’s just pointing out the obvious.

meaghan

Posted at 11:38 AM on April 15, 2011

Being a child with the same issue I got made fun of all the time for my ears sticking out. I also had my ears pinned back. I do not think it is plastic surgery at all. I am very happy I got it done!

lalala

Posted at 12:42 AM on April 15, 2011

she was cuter before.

Christine

Posted at 1:13 PM on April 17, 2011

i agree. she looks really awkward now.

Rose Cora Perry

Posted at 11:16 PM on April 14, 2011

No matter how flawless, accomplished, or beautiful one appears to be as a person (inside and out), people will still find reasons to cut you down. In fact, one could argue that the MORE you’ve got going for you, the MORE you will actually end up becoming a target of cruelty purely based on the fact that it seems people are increasingly insecure these days and instead of being mature about their feelings acknowledging that they have areas to work on, they’d rather lash out with jealousy.

We can protect those we love all we want, but at some point they will have to realize the world is a very hard place. I was an ugly kid. I wore baggy jeans and overalls, didn’t always brush my hair, took pleasure in jumping in mud puddles, even got mistaken for a boy on several occasions – BUT I was a KID. Worrying about superficial things such as being a beauty queen at seven should NOT ever become a “normal” concern. Not only did this mother fail in teaching her child that there are more important things in life than her aesthetic appeal, but by going public with her daughter’s insecurities, I’d put money on it that MORE bullying NOT less will result as a consequence.

XoeFAN

Posted at 6:54 PM on April 14, 2011

I saw the story in tv, i think the mother did it more for her than the child. How many children grow up with bigger issues and are proud to be who they are. She is lucky this problem she can fix it with a surgery, what happen when that child face annother dilema!

Rosa

Posted at 4:59 PM on April 14, 2011

What’s the big deal???? This kind of surgery is pretty common where I come from….(Germany)

Katy

Posted at 1:29 PM on April 16, 2011

I think it is a big deal because there can always be problems during the surgery. Even in my country (Germany) everybody is aware about the risks and I wouldn’t do this to my child. Doesn’t matter if it is common or not, it is still a surgery and in this case it seems to me the mother did it for herself so she doesn’t have to deal with other parents comments. I feel sorry for the little one because in this age she cannot really decide, so her mother put her in huge risk.

SarahFae

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 20, 2011

I would rather have a 7-year-old get plastic surgery than her commit suicide at 14.

Alik

Posted at 4:42 PM on April 14, 2011

Idiotic story!

Sarah

Posted at 8:27 PM on June 4, 2012

Plus, this little girl is precious, both before and after. She didn’t need surgery to begin with.