Kirstin On 'Idol:' The Minors Continue To Stand Strong, But Paul's Time Is Near!

Wed, April 13, 2011 11:11pm EDT by 13 Comments

With the competition getting stiffer on ‘American Idol,’ it’s time for Paul McDonald to go home to his band!

No contestants are ready to follow in Pia Toscano‘s wake on American Idol. The remaining eight contestants all brought their unique touches to their singles for movie song week April 13 — but not everyone hit their marks. Thankfully, my two personal favorites — Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery — are still holding strong…and at this rate, I think they’ll go all the way. Stefano Langone was also a pleasant surprise — he was at the top of the heap. At the bottom? Sir Paul McDonald. See ya later, Rod Stewart!

Paul McDonald: The judges raved about Paul’s rendition of “Old Time Rock N’ Roll,” but I wasn’t drinking the Kool-Aid. It didn’t do it for me. I was bored and it seemed pitchy. I think the judges decided to sit back and become proud parents, instead of acting like actual critics.

Lauren Alaina: Little Miss Lauren did it again with Miley Cyrus‘s “The Climb.” Everyone in the audience was on their feet and I had chills. Isn’t she awesome? In October, Nigel Lythgoe said he thought they’d found the next American Idol when they first met Lauren, and I think he might be right. Plus, I liked her look tonight.

Stefano Langone: Wow! Stefano has been on the chopping block so many times at this point, he knew he had to step it up this week — and he did just that. “[You] slayed the song!” Randy raved. “Those were your best vocals on this stage yet.” Stefano sang for his life tonight and I think he’s going to be safe. P.S. If singing doesn’t work out, I think Stefano has a future as a publicists. He’s so well spoken when he’s talking to Ryan Seacrest!

Scotty McCreery: When it comes to Scotty, he can do no wrong. No matter what he sings — even when it’s old school country — the audience, the judges and viewers at home eat it up with a spoon. I appreciate how consistent he is too. I’m never worried he’s going to fall apart up there.

Casey Abrams: Casey is clearly one of (if not the most) skilled musician(s) in the competition. The judges were so impressed with him tonight, they gave him a standing ovation. As much as I can appreciate his talent, I sincerely doubt he makes it all the way to the end…he’s just not mainstream enough.

Haley Reinhart: Haley’s rendition of “Call Me” didn’t do it for me. I don’t know if it was the song in general or her voice with that arrangement, but the whole thing seemed strained. But as J. Lo said, I don’t want any of the girls to get the boot. We only have two left!

Jacob Lusk: I found it pretty ironic mentor Jimmy suggested Jacob stay away from “corny,” but then suggested he sing “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” — which might be the cheesy, most melodramatic song ever. That said, he killed it. Per usual.

James Durbin: James is seriously trying to push the metal on us, and it’s not working for me. That said, the judges seemed obsessed with it — to each his own, I suppose.

Who was YOUR favorite tonight? And most importantly, who do you think is going home? Sound off below!

gbtw

Posted at 2:38 PM on April 14, 2011

hi kristin! so, i agree with almost all of your comments. i haven’t watched every single season, but i have to say, of what i’ve watched, this is the BEST group of kids. maybe idol has just gotten better at coaching them or something. in any case, they’re all so diverse and anti-pop in so many ways! i feel invigorated at the hope that maybe in the decade since idol began, maybe the audience/listeners has come to appreciate originality more than before? or, maybe i’m just putting too much on it… in any case, i loved that you could see a jacob, a scotty, a james and a casey, all on the same stage. they all are tops at their own thing which is different than what has been “winning” at idol before. i was sort of sick of scotty before this week, but he’s winning me back. i think i underestimated his depth. haley was just all right to me last night (what was up with steven appreciating the view up her skirt? out loud? huh?), and paul’s rod stewart thing is over for me. i like him, but he is not at the same level as the rest of those guys… i hope he has a successful career, but he’s not the winner of this thing, so he should just go home now. i’m torn over lauren… i still have NEVER felt any connection/emotion from her, despite her gorgeous and effortless voice, and sweet humble endearing demeanor. i don’t want her to go, b/c i still want to be around that moment she “gets it”. but, right now, she’s not in my favorite pool anymore. as for james and his metal, this is where you and i part… i am NOT a metal fan but i was totally sucked into that performance! i think james is really something special and i am really excited to see what he performs every week. i think he is a “superstar” (lol). love him… was a little nervous when he was talking back to his mentors, but, i think the way he came out and hit it with that song- he was right to do that. i thought he disagreed with jimmy in the most respectful way, and he pulled out his end of the deal by “slaying” that song/performance. i can’t believe some of the accompaniments they are getting for these guys on this show— i forgot the guitarists name last night, but, wow. oh, and i have to say, james’ screams are much better than adams… i’m sorry, but they are. adams were contrived and melodramatic. james’ almost seem effortless, if a scream can be so…

gbtw

Posted at 5:30 PM on April 14, 2011

i mean, kirstin (not kristin)… sorry… ;)

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 9:30 PM on April 14, 2011

Thanks for the comment, gbtw! I agree with you — they are really a group of impressive kids this season. However, I don’t think anyone can top Adam Lambert! James is awesome, but he’s totally different. :)

gbtw

Posted at 2:14 PM on April 15, 2011

haha… agree to disagree! i loved adam, but then i didn’t. i’m not sure if at the peak of my adam-love james could’ve competed with him… but, probably. cuz james has the “wounded puppy” (yes, mixed metaphor) kind of thing going on for me. adam didn’t need taking care of.

nanlu

Posted at 12:46 PM on April 14, 2011

AS SOMEONE SAID THAT THIS IS CRAP WHY WATCH? WOULDNT WASTE MY TIME THEN……

gbtw

Posted at 2:48 PM on April 14, 2011

haha… seriously? thanks for coming and see you next time…

Lizzie

Posted at 10:05 AM on April 14, 2011

Haley should have gone long before Pia. Paul is quirky, fun and an entertainer. Haley’s okay but tired of hearing her scream.

greg

Posted at 6:01 AM on April 14, 2011

Kirstin-You are the teenybop type that makes me cringe knowing you are voting! Let alone writing this crap.

gbtw

Posted at 2:24 PM on April 14, 2011

haha… i am far from a teenager and i agree with almost everything she has written!

zhengqqm

Posted at 3:58 AM on April 14, 2011

◎★◎i very like web==lets go◎★◎

believe you will love it.

====( w w w )( shoes forking )( c o m )

BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!

There are many fashion clothes high-heeled shoes

★◎surprise ★◎wholesale

mesquite fran

Posted at 12:48 AM on April 14, 2011

There are three singers who are never pitchy…Stephano Scotty, and James…Was so happy that Stephano got the kudos he deserves..Time for Haley to go home..she is so mediocre..

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 2:54 AM on April 14, 2011

How do you feel about Lauren?

gbtw

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 14, 2011

i am not “mesquite fan,” but i will answer anyway! i am always left WANTING after lauren’s performances. her voice is beautiful and effortless, but she never seems emotional or attached to her songs. even last night, when she really WAS attached to that song- her performance seemed detached to me. i think that she would’ve crumbled a long time ago if simon were there calling her out on it. i mean, i have a hard time faulting her for it b/c it’s probably just an age thing… but when you see a jacob lusk who can connect to a song and pour his heart out to an audience every time, it is a striking comparison to the young and naive lauren.