Romeo opens up to HollywoodLife.com about dancing in front of millions, his biggest competitor on ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ and his inspiration for doing the show. Plus, the star lets us into the rehearsals for his performance tonight!
Get ready for Romeo‘s Paso Doble on tonight’s Dancing with the Stars! He tells HollywoodLife.com that it is his most difficult dance to date and the audience should be ready to see a different side of him. He also compares the show to high school!
“It’s one of those dances that is really fierce. You’ve got to get into the character. This is the perfect opportunity for me to show my acting side. I want to be the next big actor, the next superhero,” he explains. “I’m really excited because I get to show a whole other side of Romeo, an aggressive side, a mean side. It’s going to be really hard, my hardest dance so far. But, if I could do this, I could do anything.
Romeo also shares why this season’s DWTS cast is so close, how he is redeeming his family’s legacy on the show, and what fans can expect from him following the competition.
- On his previous dancing training: “The only dance training I had previous to this was my 8th grade school dance. I danced with this girl named Devita. I did Honey the movie. But that was more acting, I didn’t really have to be trained to dance. Coming from the hip hop world, I’m use to bouncing my shoulders. I got good rhythm.”
- On which DWTS cast members he is closest to: “I was close to Wendy Williams. I’ve known her ever since I was 11. But, she got kicked off…Also Kirstie Alley, we are really close. She doesn’t act her age, she is really cool….It’s like being in high school again. Chris Jericho to Sugar Ray to Ralph Macchio to Hines Ward. We are all friends. We are becoming closer and closer as the days go bye.”
- On his biggest competition on the show: “My biggest competiton on the show is myself. The biggest competition is yourself just like in life. I tell kids that anything is possible, it just how much work you put into it, how much effort.”
- On his father who joined Season 2 of DWTS when Romeo was sidelined due to an injury: “I told my dad that if he did this for me, I would come back and redeem the Miller legacy. Show the world that we can move, we can dance….My dad is really proud of me. He is shocked that I’m wearing the shoes. He thought I was going to wear my sneakers.”
- On his upcoming projects: “I’m releasing my new single, “Famous Girl” featuring Sean Kingston. And then, my new album is coming out. It’s going to be crazy. First, I’m putting out the mix tape called ‘I Am No Limit.’ And I got a new movie called Jumping the Broom on Mother’s Day with me, Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso. It’s a great cast.”
- On his charity Urban Born: “My dad and I have been doing it for like 10 years now. A lot of people don’t magnify the positive things, you always hear the negative things in people’s lives. We go to different schools. We speak to the kids. We give away laptops. We teach them the importance of education. I wouldn’t be here without my education.”
After seeing Romeo’s rehearsal, are you excited to see him and Chelsie Hightower dance the Paso Doble? Tell us below!
Stephanie Wenger, reporting by Lorena O’Neil
Read more about Romeo