Kirstin Says: Was Pia Toscano's Elimination The Most Shocking In 'American Idol' History?

Fri, April 8, 2011 4:24am EDT by 40 Comments

With two-to-one odds to win the entire competition, Pia Toscano was considered a fan favorite — so what went wrong?

She was arguably the most attractive, most talented and most diverse contestant on American Idol this season, but in the most shocking results show in the the series’ history, Pia Toscano was eliminated April 7. I couldn’t believe it — and neither could anyone else.

My betting friends tell me Pia, 22, had two-to-one odds to WIN the entire competition and something like 300-to-one odds of getting the boot this week. In other words, this elimination was completely out of the blue — or was it?

Although I always appreciated Pia’s vocal talent, I found her to be boring and lackluster. She’s beautiful, but one-dimensional. She wasn’t my personal favorite and I wouldn’t have picked her to go higher than the final four or five. That said, I was SHOCKED when Ryan Seacrest sent her home. I can’t put my finger on exactly what happened.

Were you as surprised as I was by the results? Did Pia deserve to go home? Do you think the judges are bummed they used their one save of the season on Casey Abrams? Sound off below!

Just_A_Filipino_Fan

Posted at 11:14 PM on April 8, 2011

It would be better if the criteria is:

50% – Votes
30% – Judges’ Opinion
20% – Management (Fox and Sponsors)

Or 80,10,10 percentages or 60,20,20 or 50,25,25 respectively)… Just my two cents :)

dm

Posted at 9:33 PM on April 8, 2011

i am not surprised she was voted off heard her rendition of all by myself while the judges gushed i heard celines rendition and charice’s and they were miles better. pia is not that great a vocalist she is great looking but then again many american idol losers go on to singing career we will have to wait and see.

bt

Posted at 7:24 PM on April 8, 2011

Yes quite a surprise,,,,,,great voice,great looker,but a terrible outfit…….maybe Gwen had it in for her,,,,,,,she will survive and be a star……..hoping for SCOTTY now……

nellie

Posted at 5:31 PM on April 8, 2011

Yes she can sing, no she’s no a performer. She had all the flavor of water, and not the Butte, MT kind. Boring, boring, boring. That’s why she went home.

Lindsay

Posted at 3:41 PM on April 8, 2011

Though Casey Abrams is my favourite because that is more my style of vocals and music.. Pia had one of the best voices on the show. Yeah, she was a tad bit boring to watch.. slow songs and lack of movement, but isn’t it about the voice?
The amount of vocal talent that she posesses is unreal, and when she got eliminated.. I literally wanted to smash something. I couldn’t believe that it was her or Stefano and they took HER off over HIM. What the hell is that? Ok, ok.. he can hold a few notes.. but for jesus sakes.. HE HAS NO REAL VOCAL TALENT. The only reason he got to stay is because all of the pathetic little teenage girls of America think he is hot. That is how it works almost every year for every elimination. Once the judges no longer have the power of saying who stays and who goes (because they base their decisions on REAL talent… minus the fact that they kept Stefano..?) and America gets to vote.. every person who has ACTUAL talent usually goes down the drain. Like Casey Abrams. When he was about to get eliminated, I went numb. I could NOT believe what was happening. And OF COURSE the judges would save him because that is what you call a musician.
I don’t know where I can go with this now.. I think I’ve made my point. Of course, American Idol is never going to stop the home voting thing.. that’s like the main aspect of the show, but seriously.. something needs to be done about the pathetic teenage girls voting for guys they think are hot. This show is supposed to be for people who HAVE TALENT, not WISH THEY HAD TALENT. There is a LARGEEE difference.

Lindsay

Posted at 3:43 PM on April 8, 2011

oh.. and for that last sentence.. I forgot to say instead of the people real talent thing..

It’s about people who have a voice, not good looks. LOL, that’s kind of what I meant to write but got distracted. hahahha

gbtw

Posted at 4:20 PM on April 8, 2011

but it’s not really about all that lindsay… it’s about selling records b/c the AI franchise OWNS the winner (and the runner up, and who knows how deep it goes, contract-wise). they want the winner to be the person who will make the most money for them, i.e., sell the most records. if people won’t vote for pia, who is going to buy her records? i mean, it’s really not at all about who has the best voice- it never was. i feel your pain, and i liked pia, but she was never going to win this competition- nor will casey, with all of his talent. it’s not a best voice, or best musician competition at all.

Mac

Posted at 3:36 PM on April 8, 2011

they should have let casey go and had the save for pia-something is not adding up here

gbtw

Posted at 4:25 PM on April 8, 2011

in their wildest dreams, they never would have guessed pia would be gone so soon… and they could only have used their “save” for like one more week. who would’ve guessed pia would’ve needed to be saved so soon? most people would’ve guessed stefano, scotty, and paul all would be gone long before pia.

Allie

Posted at 2:48 PM on April 8, 2011

The thing for me with Pia, and I’ve said this since I they showed her first auddtion. She’s AMAZING, but she doesn’t have anything special about her. She sounds just like everybody else, and she was kinda boring. She sang the same ballad over and over again and that’s what got her. I feel if she would of taking more risks then she wouldn’t of gotten eliminated.

marcos

Posted at 2:25 PM on April 8, 2011

Easily the best looking chica ever on the show, what an Italian beauty! I’m not even Italian but she also had one of the best voices ever on this show. Looks better then Selena Gomez etc, with a better voice!

carla

Posted at 12:54 PM on April 8, 2011

I guess some people are so easily bored they can’t see true talent when it’s glaring in their face. Maybe they prefer leather and whips.

gbtw

Posted at 1:26 PM on April 8, 2011

on the fray, the votes are all about who is the cutest boy. to go above that, and be a woman, you need something more compelling than pia (i.e., a great voice and good looks aren’t enough). and, more simply, what a horrible song choice she made last week… HORRIBLE. she’s too old fashioned in a lot of ways. shocking to hear she’s only 22.

cJ

Posted at 12:24 PM on April 8, 2011

Shocked yes, Surprised no.

I think Pia was by far the best vocalist of the entire group. However she has absoultely no stage presence what-so-ever. She always stood motionless with the exception of the one arm, which to me looked like she was treading water, it drove me insane!

She’ll do fine after the shock wears off. I’m sure within a year we’ll see her on every billboard and hear her on every radio staion!

yeah yeah

Posted at 12:02 PM on April 8, 2011

i was so mad i wanted to cry she was my favorite! i am so sad i cant believe she was voted off!

simonsays

Posted at 11:50 AM on April 8, 2011

I’m surprised Pia got voted off this soon, but I felt she would not make it to the end because she is so boring. Vocally she is perfect but there is more to it than that in a competition like this. I’m guessing she’ll be fine just like the others who went too soon.

nanlu

Posted at 11:47 AM on April 8, 2011

Maybe Owens is right………

nanlu

Posted at 11:44 AM on April 8, 2011

Yes a litle shocked, but thought it might happen……she is boring with her stage presence, but will really go a long way……she will get help with all of that and with that beautiful voice will be a star. it is still anyones idol to win……. its been quite a season….

owens

Posted at 11:30 AM on April 8, 2011

I think come next week’s Idol Performance, all of the audience members should get up from their seats, hold hands, and depart the auditorium. In protest. The Judges should have the final say on who stays and who goes.

gbtw

Posted at 1:20 PM on April 8, 2011

what? the show is premised on the entire idea of who can sell the most albums once they get out— that’s why the producers put up the money in the first place. they are equating votes with album sales. if pia can’t get america to vote, how many albums is she going to sell… (or so the reasoning goes). the show doesn’t work if the judges are the ultimate decision making authority. “don’t cry for me, [america]“, i think pia will do just fine… if she has the drive and guts that ms. hudson has (which, i’m not sure about).

Sheen

Posted at 10:50 AM on April 8, 2011

There is a difference between a performer and a singer. She is an amazing singer, but as for a performer, she was less than par! However, think back of all the people who got voted off Idol too soon. Lots of them made it!

simonsays

Posted at 11:53 AM on April 8, 2011

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Pia now. Maybe she’ll do alright ala Jennifer Hudson and Daughtery.

Mike

Posted at 9:43 AM on April 8, 2011

Whats hard to believe that this crappy show where they dress up kids to be who they are not, put up high on a petastal and then slammed down, 99% of whom cant sing or just try to recreate other plastic, fake stars like lipsyncers brittney,maraha, and yes even J-lo fakes her music…

That is the real shocker….

chuck

Posted at 8:03 AM on April 8, 2011

I am very shocked and dissapointed that Pia was eliminated. In my opinion I thought Pia was the most talented and gifted performer on the show. But now it does not matter because a lot of people in this country do not see true talent when they see it. A record producer will give her a contract and she will be just fine. And on a added note I have not been watching idol for a while now because of the poor voting results and will stop watching it permanently.To many other good shows on. Good Luck Pia. Looking forward to buying your first CD.

Tomas

Posted at 7:43 AM on April 8, 2011

Sometimes people are sent home for other reasons . Maybe she was not a legal citiznted? There is no way to be sure it had anything to do with votes that sent her home, this has been done before.

gbtw

Posted at 1:12 PM on April 8, 2011

haha… no, i don’t think that was it. it was the votes.

Paul

Posted at 6:58 AM on April 8, 2011

I am surprised as well. I really liked Pia. However I do not believe that her elimination was the most shocking in American Idol history. I believe that the most SHOCKING Elimination in American Idol History is when Chris Daughtry was Eliminated.

Abby

Posted at 6:54 AM on April 8, 2011

i still think Chris Daughtry was the most shocking, but looks what hes done off idol…

Who ME

Posted at 5:58 AM on April 8, 2011

While Pia is VERY talented & beautiful… her performance was a snooze fest. Awkward stage presence, that thing she keeps doing with her arm, lackluster song choice, and Gwen Stefani should be SHOT for putting her in that AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL outfit (did I mention the AWFUL OUTFIT). Not surprised she was voted off…..

simonsays

Posted at 11:52 AM on April 8, 2011

That was a terrible outfit! She is very talented and beautiful…not sure she has the ‘it’ factor. I hope she proves me wrong.

Frank McLeod

Posted at 5:08 AM on April 8, 2011

If I was a lottery winner, I’d be contacting the Toscano family to pose the idea of Pia singing under her own label and I’d make so much profit, I’d have to go pay off our national debt and take on the entire payroll of the U.S.

Frank McLeod

Posted at 5:03 AM on April 8, 2011

I’ve heard singers, good, bad and extremely good in my lifetime, of nearly eight decades. Pia is better than anyone I’ve ever known in all three of those categories. She isn’t just a singer, she’s a singing phenomenon. I want a first, second, third video or cd when she does them.

coleen

Posted at 2:27 AM on April 9, 2011

yeh..pia is a very good singer but i dont agree the american voters, pia is so good i thought that she will be the next american idol,and also,,,,the judges use their save early….

zhengdd01

Posted at 4:56 AM on April 8, 2011

look

good —- w w w__shoes forking__c o m

lets go