Will Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Risk Their Romance If They Work Together?

Tue, April 5, 2011 5:08pm EDT by 29 Comments

Getty Images

The Love Consultants — professional matchmaker and dating coach Matt Titus and his wife, author and media personality Tamsen Fadal –tell you whether it’s smart to mix business with pleasure by working with someone you may be just getting to know.

You could be downloading a Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber duet single sooner than you think! But HollywoodlLife.com asked The Love ConsultantsMatt Titus and Tamsen Fadal, whether the young love birds may be jumping too fast into working together. Could they be putting too much strain on their relationship?

Matt’s Take:

Selena and Justin are dating — after weeks of playing coy, the couple finally admitted their romance is for real. Of course from the standpoint of a relationship expert, I can’t put much credence into the notion that teenage dating has any weight or depth, especially between two megastars. It seems like Justin still has trouble keeping his pants off the ground. How is he able to navigate a meaningful relationship?

Which leads me to the current news of Justin, 17, and Selena, 18, potentially mixing business with pleasure. She hedged a bit when first asked about any future collaborations at the 2011 Kids’ Choice Awards. But when she was asked point-blank if she’d ever record a duet with Justin, her answer was a great big “YES!”

So should these two be making sweet music together? Is it smart to work with your romantic partner? Not if you’re a teenager in the early stages of immature love. Finding a boyfriend or girlfriend to spend time with at any age isn’t easy. The last thing you want to do is start blending your personal lives together, especially when you have an audience of millions of people watching your every move. For most folks, the notion of working with a significant other or spouse sounds — at best — stupid. At worst, it’s a direct path to emotional and relationship collapse!

Trust me, I know this firsthand. I work with my wife, Tamsen, in our shared businesses, and it is not easy. It requires a constant level of communication and consideration built after years of respect and discovery about what it takes to make it work. How in the world can a 17-year-old boy and an 18-year-old girl balance the demands and pressures of sharing their life and work? They need to be careful about any situation that could spin out of their control. Justin is a creation of the current state of the music industry and Selena is a highly polished product of kid-friendly commercialism, which means any duet could become nothing more than a cool and calculated move of brand strategy.

These two teen idols have to pull it back, concentrate on being young and free. Any serious type of relationship can narrow a young adult’s interests, emotional growth and involvement with others. This would just make things tougher.

Here’s my advice for Justin and Selena — keep your budding romance duet-free!

Tamsen’s Take:

Oh young love, it’s always so wild and passionate. I think Justin and Selena are sweet together. They’re cute, talented and totally at the top of their games. Why wouldn’t they want to collaborate on a song?

For two people as famous as Selena and Justin,  it is nearly impossible to completely separate their work and personal lives. But the level of fame that fuels them also bonds them. Their lives are not normal. They have managers, agents, entire teams of people guiding the way. If they did work together and record a song, it’s not like they would just stumble into the studio together. They’d have a huge level of support in making it happen.

Teen romance is not a new phenomenon. Remember that old standard by Donny Osmond, “Puppy Love”? But nowadays it does seem that young people are more actively engaged in the dating and relationship world. Being “single” at the ripe old age of 13 can be seen as weird by today’s kids — especially those who compete with their peers to live life in the fast lane and aspire to be, act and look just like young celebrities.

I just hope the adults in all these children’s lives are giving them solid guidance and directives. For Selena and Justin, I’d focus them on enjoying the precious time they get to spend together with as little pressure as possible. They really need to think about the ups and downs of working together. As I tell all my clients who are thinking of joining forces on a business or partnership: You must have understanding, passion, commitment, flexibility — and lots of patience! If Justin and Selena can embrace all of the elements they needed to develop, then I say go for it, you two!

Go ahead, knock out a hit song — I’m sure that all your many fans will agree!

You Can Buy Matt & Tamsen’s Book: Why Hasn’t He Called — Right Here!

Will Dating Multiple Men Like Ashley Greene Is Make Your Man Jealous?

Check Out Our Dating Coach Matt Titus’ website!

Can Scarlett Johansson and Sean Penn Make It As A Rebounding Couple?

six pecs abs

Posted at 6:12 AM on June 20, 2012

hi!,I like your writing so a lot! percentage we be in contact more about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this space to solve my problem. May be that is you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

ema

Posted at 6:00 AM on April 13, 2011

selena’s voice and justin’s are totally different ; selena’s voice is somehow a pop/ rock (in many ways) while justin’s voice is pop/rnb and if they sing together it would sound wierd!!!

kitty

Posted at 4:54 AM on April 13, 2011

she has got a big head <3 lol

me

Posted at 6:41 PM on April 12, 2011

ya they do not sound the best together. but for the time they are in love and if they sing together it is not going to break then up any faster, cause you know they are going to date lots more people. But I still love them both.

Roro

Posted at 8:27 AM on April 9, 2011

that would be cute, but their voices aren’t really the best together. also, it might not be healthy for their relationship.

nora

Posted at 9:55 AM on April 8, 2011

justin bieber is the most famous singer in the world

jesica

Posted at 6:00 PM on April 7, 2011

justin bieber is hot!hot like fire and cute to!

mariana ramos

Posted at 5:59 PM on April 6, 2011

i feel like it isnt healthy for them but i guess if they feel comfortable doing it, than they should do it

Ros

Posted at 4:16 PM on April 6, 2011

Justin was here in Herning, Denmark last Saturday, April 2 doing a concert. The review on his concert is very negative. The critics said, there is no soul on his performances, poor sound and seems very unprepared. Now if you ask the teenager who went to see his concert, they said he´s great. What do u expect, they are fanatic fans!

Courtney

Posted at 1:57 AM on April 6, 2011

People seriously what does Selenas acting and singing have anything to do with their relationship? Do you think they sit together singing? no. They get each other & have fun spending time with each other. Leave them alone ! :)

hannah

Posted at 9:36 PM on April 5, 2011

Oh my goodness I love selena Gomez! So enyone who thinks she sucks ” YOU SUCK!” And her a Justin are a cute couple so stop hating! I am not a huge fan of him but she seems happy.

victory

Posted at 7:43 PM on April 5, 2011

Justin and Selena are teenagers, puppy love. I think it’s comical that so much is made about their relationship. They both will date lots of people over the next decade.

Kelly

Posted at 6:03 PM on April 5, 2011

I am so sick and tired of people saying Selena can’t act! She was wonderful in Ramona and Beezus, Wizards of Waverly Place, The Princess Protection Program, etc. Now I don’t know about her singing talent (I haven’t heard her yet). I am so sick of people saying she’s using Justin to get famous! She is already famous! Her fame was because of her own talents and merits, not anybody else! And even if she is using him, don’t you think he’d be smart enough to figure it out for himself?

lucy

Posted at 4:52 AM on April 13, 2011

they are real cute ilove you two <3 xx

Keyairah

Posted at 4:44 PM on April 5, 2011

well I love selena and I love her syle bt justin not the one for her he’s more a mine type like he cute nohomo she is to he have great hair and he’s just perfect i have 100% bieber fever and 55% selena hots lol.Perfect couple me and hem and her and hem bt noo song together even though it will rock because they are the best noone can compared and to put them together they will be the Sh** bt nt while there going together maybe after or never because they should had did it beforr..Ps::
Im the ORG MZ.Bieber/Keyairah La’Shaun 8th grader from Detroit Enterprise Academy

alyssa

Posted at 3:28 PM on April 5, 2011

I hate it they do not look good together and selena gomez cant sing or act and if they sing together then she will just ruin Justin Bieber i mean she has gone out with every guy in Hollywood and she has just added Justin to her collection of guys i Would not buy anything that has her name on it. But i do love Justin Bieber

laura

Posted at 3:51 PM on April 5, 2011

I agree! Selena uses Justin, she dates famous boys then when they aren’t famous anymore she dumps them. She will do this song just to get more famous.
I also really like Justin :)

javi

Posted at 4:19 PM on April 5, 2011

alyssa have you seen her last performance on radio disney go check it because it will change your mind if you think selena can’t sing she’s singing who says live i hope you and other haters see it it will change your view of her singing

miley campbell

Posted at 3:11 PM on April 5, 2011

i loooooove selena! im not here to pick a fight like the person with the ‘oh yeah?’ title but i really like selena. i dont hate justin but i dont particularly like him either.

Alf

Posted at 12:11 PM on April 5, 2011

He is as queer as a gay person can be.

javi

Posted at 12:00 PM on April 5, 2011

depends on the couple there has been alot of country music artist that are a couple that have songs together faith hill and tim mcgraw,garth brooks and his wife but thats country music i dont’remember if there has been a couple in pop music michael jackson and pricssila presley did a video together for one of his songs but i don’t remember anybody else in conclution im thinking no they shoudin’t do music together isw enough been together 24/7 imagine doing music together they could get tired of being together im just saying.

justin bieber lover

Posted at 11:07 AM on April 5, 2011

i hate you selena you are mean and you can’t act or sing worth a crap !! you are a cheater. you hit on every clebrity guy in holywood well thats all i got to say to you bye bye !!!!!

MizzDiuxxa

Posted at 11:44 AM on April 5, 2011

You`re so right :)

Whatever

Posted at 1:11 PM on April 5, 2011

WTF!!!! Yup thats right you guys are just Jealous fans of bieber:)
U bothnr not TRUE BELIBERS!!! Restpect both of them wont u??!!!
U guys are HELL!!!!!
Now BYE BYE for NOW!!!!
LOSERS!!!
Hahhaahhaha
Go Jelena/justlena
I HATE ALLL SeLeNA HATers:((((!!!!!!!!!
HeLL

oh yeah?

Posted at 3:08 PM on April 5, 2011

oh yeah? i bet she can sing better than u can so heck to it. selena rocks, bieber sucks.

Whatever

Posted at 3:15 AM on April 6, 2011

Oh yeah!!
I love Selena Gomez
And I do have talent!!! Maybe u DONT!!

lena

Posted at 9:30 AM on April 5, 2011

I support Inter/racial relationships! I believe love has no color!

~~~ Blac k Whi te Da te. C’ 0- M ~~~

This club is for those of us that don’t discriminate! This is to all my people who don’t care about somebody’s ethnic background, just how they are on the inside.

If you want to find a sincere Inter/racial relationship. If you are serious. Come and join us!

ich

Posted at 6:32 AM on April 5, 2011

Even if you repeat the lie, it is a lie.
Selena did not say “YES”

This is the original quote …
“I don’t know,” Selena told E!. “You know, with my friends, I always make sure that I try to keep like family and business separate because it doesn’t really go well sometimes… I don’t know about that. We’ll see.”

“We’ll see.”!!!!

onelesslonelygirl

Posted at 6:15 AM on April 5, 2011

Mix love and profession is a bad thing. Priscila Presley dated Michael jackson but they never made a song together .