Check out this up and coming artist from Brooklyn, Josh Baze! He sounds like a cross between Jay-Z and Ne-Yo!
We’ve just discovered this new hip hop artist from NYC, Josh Baze, and we’re loving his sound! Born and raised in a rough area in Brooklyn, Josh grew up with four sisters. When he needed a break, he’d retreat into his room and produce music. HollywoodLife.com caught up with Josh the day before his first single, “Hollyhood,” dropped on iTunes about who inspires him, his guilty pleasures and his celeb crushes!
1. Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z and Andre 3000 inspire me: I think Kanye West, Jay-Z & Lupe Fiasco are some outstanding story tellers and you will hear that a lot throughout my upcoming album. Andre 3000’s creativity as a artist is impeccable; his sound is unique and a breath of fresh air. He’s definitely one of the few I will love to work with.
2. My guilty pleasure is food: I love a double cheese burger with cheese fries and a black & white milkshake (vanilla & chocolate) while watching Good Burger.
3. I remember my first CD like it was yesterday: The first CD i ever picked up was The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick and I remember it like it was yesterday. Bumping “Children Stories” & “The Ruler Back.” Man-oh-man, those were the days.
4. I have a specific process I follow when creating music: I love to listen to the beat first. I feel like every instrument and detail in that beat tells a story. So as I listen, I think of a melody that will capture the feeling. As I capture that, I mumble and spit what ever comes to my head…I believe you call that free styling.
5. I have a wide variety of music on my iPod: Right now I’m listening to John Mayer, Robin Thicke, Drake, Ne-Yo, Fefe Dobson, Gym Class Heroes, NERD, Kanye West, Panic At The Disco and Waka Flocka.
6. I have five celebrity crushes who I love because they’re beautiful, strong, sexy and driven: Fefe Dobson, Zoe Saldana, Journee Smollett, Selita Ebanks and Hayden Panettiere.
Listen to Josh’s single here and tell us what you think. Who does he remind you of? Sound off below!