Girl Born Without A Face — Update On 8-Year-Old Juliana Wetmore

Mon, April 4, 2011 10:08am EST by 357 Comments

Courtesy of JulianaWetmore.net

You might recognize Juliana’s story from her Discovery Health Channel documentary. And now, there’s some good news about her progress.

When we first saw Discovery Health Channel‘s documentary on the little girl now known worldwide as the “Girl Born Without A Face,” we were extremely touched and curious about her medical progress. And now, Juliana Wetmore, 8, who suffers from a severe case of Treacher Collins Syndrome — an hereditary disease that causes defects of the face — has some good hope for her future.

Although Juliana has been through countless numbers of surgeries, since she was born in March of 2003 missing 30-40% of the bones in her face, she recently underwent a “big deal” surgery in February that involved doctors taking rib bone and beginning to form cheek bones with it.

“It wasn’t easy for her, as her face swelled to the extent that she couldn’t open her eyes,” her nurse, Jeanne, wrote on Juliana’s webiste. “Even so, she didn’t want to lay around in a hospital bed, so she was home on her third post-op day.”

And although the surgery didn’t change Juliana’s appearance much, it is the first step in the process to give her cheekbones.

“Even though Juliana doesn’t look very different, she apparently feels different,” Jeanne wrote. “She can feel firmness now where there wasn’t any before. She puts her fingers beneath her eyes and says “I love my new cheeks”! So amazing!

Juliana is picutred above with her adopted sister, Danica, who also has Treacher Collins Syndrome.

We are truly affected by her story and can only hope her surgical progress goes well. She is a strong little girl who has a lot of fight with her.

–Leigh Blickley
Bizarre Medical Condition Causes New Moms To FORGET They’ve Given Birth!

Sekum

Posted at 3:23 AM on July 30, 2014

TOUGHEST GIRLS ON THE PLANET – Juliana and sister . There will alwz be some idiots who puts stupid comments once in a while , to those people i wish them Hell from the bottom of my heart .

aravindh

Posted at 11:54 AM on June 19, 2014

juliana u r great
ur heart is beautiful as jesus

butthole

Posted at 10:39 PM on May 10, 2014

thanks for not aborting me

sly

Posted at 6:14 PM on May 1, 2014

Who knows what surgeons will be able to make in a few years.Surgery is one of the fastest developing parts of medical science.

Abdul

Posted at 4:01 PM on April 30, 2014

Where does she live? I want to meet her and give her some presents

OMGkillwithfire

Posted at 4:48 AM on May 21, 2014

You secretly want to kill it with fire before it can lay eggs right?

constance Sniegocki

Posted at 1:06 AM on April 21, 2014

I am a special ed teacher in an elementary school. I worked with a woman who has this same syndrome. She is a teacher. Most of the students never said anything out of line. They worked with her very well…..and she with the kids. As far as I could see she was just their teacher. She is a wonderful woman, teacher, friend. I applaud her courage.

Kris

Posted at 10:25 PM on April 13, 2014

Oh WOW nevermind, I didn’t realize the family had adopted another treacher child

Tom

Posted at 11:12 PM on March 27, 2014

You are beautiful and now my inspiration. God bless you and thank you for showing me what true courage and strength are.

Lynnette

Posted at 2:19 PM on March 26, 2014

Julianna, I’ve been watching videos and reading stories about you and your wonderful spirit. You are an incredible little girl. I will say though that I give a lot of credit and kudos to your wonderful parents. (and caregivers). Your mother teaching you to see how beautiful you are! ( in this external appearance society.) I’m glad to see that the operations are helping you to to cope with your healthy daily needs. I pray all the richest blessings for you and your family. Your sister is such a sweetheart too. How blessed you are to have such a wonderful family and how blessed they are to have you!

Keesh

Posted at 9:42 PM on March 21, 2014

You’re such a sweet little girl Juliana, you are amazing, gorgeous and in good hands. One of the most wonderful parents I’ve ever seen, may god bless you and may the triple gems bless you.
With much love

The Byte Bin (@TheByteBin)

Posted at 3:31 PM on March 14, 2014

Ever since kindergarten I was called “ugly” by both adults (teachers, strangers, etc.) and kids. It is because of kids like Juliana that I can look in the mirror and not understand why the heck anyone called me ugly? I’m not even deformed in the slightest! I can see that there are just rotten people out there. Period. They would gladly dress up as a Klingon at a convention but turn around and call Juliana “ugly”? She’s not “ugly”. Neither am I. Nor anyone else, for that matter. Even “normal” people get photoshopped to pieces to “look like a model” for advertisements. This whole idea of looking “attractive” is what harms a lot of people who don’t fall into the “attractive” category as defined by “society”. They can’t get good jobs (some can’t get ANY job), no matter how skilled or intelligent they are. Those that want families can’t find anyone that would start a family with them. They aren’t taken seriously by doctors or especially authorities or anyone that could be of help to them. Their needs are ignored. They are shamed and put down. Their rights are not even recognized or enforced. And for what? Their looks? Are people insane or something?

Bob Franklin

Posted at 5:51 AM on March 5, 2014

“Doesn’t very different”????? look again! The change is nothing less than miraculous! Her surgeon is just a magicman. Her mouth has come down & more to the center face. the dental protrusion is GONE. I honestly wouldn’t have thought it possible. I’ve a feeling that trach tube will soon be nothing more than a memory for her. :)))))))))

Cris Zadrozny

Posted at 5:16 PM on March 2, 2014

The parents of little Juliana are so amazing. I just learned that they adopted another child who has the same disease as Juliana. What truly God-like people!!

John Nepia

Posted at 8:54 PM on February 25, 2014

Juliana you are awesome and a real hero to me. Thank you for sharing your young brave life with me and the rest of the world. You’re absolutely gorgeous! My love and prayers are always for you and now a sister I didn’t know you had. Keep going my Little Tuffy! John and Susannah from Titirangi New Zealand

Tilly

Posted at 7:34 PM on February 22, 2014

Julianna, you are an amazing little girl! Your dear family are truly remarkable and all of you are so brave. Keep growing strong.

I was wholeheartedly crushed to find so much hate on the Internet for such a dear little girl. I turn my back on the haters and support the Wetmore’s

Ramzi AJ

Posted at 5:46 PM on February 22, 2014

I will always look for her news, and I hope one day seeing her in a better situation. Even “without a face”, she makes any human heart fond. She deserves the best of the world.

Nan Melberg

Posted at 8:47 PM on January 27, 2014

God Bless this wonderful family and these children. These two parents have shown more love than most of us can imagine. They don’t feel sorry for themselves for the tough mountain they have to climb. They continue to love and nurture their children and now have taken more into their hearts.and into their family.
I have no doubt that because of the kind of people and parents they are, Julianne will find her place in our world , despite how difficult it must be for all of them. I thank them, for sharing a little bit of their lives with us. Hopefully, people will learn to be more accepting, loving and caring because of them.

star coun (@starcounseler)

Posted at 8:34 PM on January 23, 2014

her sisters a freak too

Justice

Posted at 6:19 PM on February 9, 2014

You are truly an idiot

Sandy

Posted at 3:32 AM on February 12, 2014

You’re a disgrace to human beings

Ramzi AJ

Posted at 3:44 PM on February 27, 2014

You say bad things about those two little innocent girls while you can’t guarantee if tomorrow you will have the same appearence. You should delete your comment. They are not freaks, they are innocent human beings who didn’t choose to have this condition. They deserve all the respect and love that all human beings deserve.
Peace.

angenieta

Posted at 7:39 AM on March 5, 2014

the Freak are you and only you and you are too ignorant and dumb to see that

Desdinova

Posted at 8:58 AM on March 9, 2014

Folks, don’t feed the troll. As the saying goes, “Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” Juliana and all her family have shown us how to be truly human, and all the hatemongers in the world cannot change that.

Jessica

Posted at 6:10 PM on March 17, 2014

3 words: you are heartless

Jessica

Posted at 6:11 PM on March 17, 2014

This was for star coun.

Perrine

Posted at 5:45 PM on March 24, 2014

They are not freaks. You call them freaks, just because they are victims to a disorder? Shame on you. It’s not their fault. And, who cares what they look like, what’s important is that they get the care they need. I could care less what they look like.

Spoiler Alert: You, Madam, are the true freak.

Lynnette

Posted at 2:34 PM on March 26, 2014

You are repulsive to say something like that! You are ugly in every way. Julianna is far more beautiful than you! And her sister!

K. Powers

Posted at 1:49 AM on May 9, 2014

YOU are the FREAK! You should be ashamed of yourself, this little girl is a miracle, an ANGEL from GOD! Someday you will stand in front of GOD and have to answer for this!

DeeDee Lynn

Posted at 7:57 PM on January 13, 2014

Where can we find out updates on Juliana’s surgeries and how she is doing now 2014??

janis conard (@conardjanis)

Posted at 1:53 PM on November 19, 2013

I am so ashamed of ignorant human beings. Yes, God made everything and everything God made is good. God made no mistake making little Julia. What seems like a mistake to people is a Masterpiece to GOD. I admire little Julia. She is a Beautiful little girl. I can see her precious Spirit through spiritual eyes that Julia has a heart of OUR HEAVENLY FATHER. Yes, she has a physical defect, but she is a CHILD OF THE MOST HIGH GOD sent to earth to sow a seed of love and hope and strength to help teach the people of this world a valuable lesson of patience,kindness,purity and most of all LOVE AND HOPE. We should everyday remember Julia, her Mom and Dad, big Sister and new Sister in PRAYER , lifting them up to God asking God to continue giving them strength,patience,kindness,love and hope. I truly love Julia and her family. I praise God for the Surgeons taking care of Julia. May God direct their hands each time during her operations and send the very BEST CARE HER WAY. I hope to met Little Julia someday. She is a BLESSING FROM GOD.
May God open the blinded eyes of the people of this world to see things the way He does.

star coun (@starcounseler)

Posted at 8:33 PM on January 23, 2014

your delusional.totaly fricken crasy

Angel Wings

Posted at 3:05 AM on January 26, 2014

god didn’t make this crap if he did he aint perfect because it sure isn’t all good and if he aint perfect and his world sucks he’s one crappy god

John Reid

Posted at 5:36 PM on November 17, 2013

Not to be unkind, but the emotional journey Juliana’s going to go through when she hits puberty and tries to have a life is not going to be an easy one by any stretch of the imagination. Most people didn’t like Kate’s or Cerene’s comments, but at least they had the courage to be honest and not try to sugar coat things with the whole “God’s gift” kind of nonsense. Juliana’s going to be exposed to people who will say cruel things to her for the rest of her life, which is just a fact of life. To expect otherwise is to be in complete denial about the way people think and behave. Disfiguring birth defects indicate, and correctly so, that something went horribly wrong in the womb. Also, at the risk of being labeled a sexist, women’s lives and status are innately tied to their looks. Everybody’s shallow.

bubba

Posted at 10:43 PM on April 29, 2014

The “whole God’s gift” concept is neither nonsense nor sugar coating, except maybe to you and your ilk. Not everyone *is* shallow…only those who chose to be dishonest to themselves, which, I’ll grant you *is* a lot of folks, but not nearly everyone.

Carrie

Posted at 4:24 PM on September 27, 2013

I would much rather look like this little girl and have a heart of gold then be rude and completely ignorant and cold like you Cerene and Kate. This little girl is beautiful. You both are the true ugly monsters.

Kiro

Posted at 2:29 PM on September 29, 2013

It is very very very easy to say this child is a “gift” and a product of God’s loving hand, but reality bites. It is very sad to see this girl have such a defect. Her coming years will not be easy.

Your emotionally wrought statements has little merit.

bubba

Posted at 10:54 PM on April 29, 2014

In point of fact, Kiro, it is your sociopathic statements, devoid of emotion, which are not relevant to the future success of this child. The reality is that Julliana is well on her way to a productive future, thanks to God’s loving hands and her loving parents, siblings, friends, caregivers and neighbors which He has sought to provide her.

cynthia

Posted at 7:30 AM on September 12, 2013

I certainly hope Cerene or Kate never end up in something horrible that may disfigure their faces. I think they would probably not want to live rather than be brave and do what it takes to live the best life they could. Juilanna may not have chosen this but her loving parents believed that she was worth it to give her a chance and she has weathered each storm and come up on top. Julianna has already learned a great lessen that the 2 above will probable never learn. That is that it’s what is inside that counts. Julianna has a heart and soul of gold. If all 3 of you were to stop at heavens gate right now, Julianna would be accepted without question, and I doubt that God would ever want to change Juilanna one iota. In His eyes, she is perfect in what counts. You other 2? I think He would turn away in sadness, to think you would reject one of His creations. I pray that God finds a way to change your hearts although it may not be an easy path He chooses for you. I hope at that time, that you find the strenght that Julianna already has to over come whatever comes your way.

cerene

Posted at 5:43 PM on July 3, 2013

These people need to be beat for not aborting this child. They walk around all happy about their “miracle” and “gift from God” yet she’s the one that looks like a freaking monster and has to endure all the pain and suffering of surgery. She is not a gift, she is a freaking curse, and if anyone deserves to be punished, they do. I wish they had to spend the rest of their lives in her body so they could really see what a gift they gave her.

Aly

Posted at 1:13 PM on July 6, 2013

Cerene – you need to be ‘beat’ for being such an ignorant, unfeeling clod. Perhaps your mother should’ve aborted you so that the rest of us caring humans wouldn’t have to read your incredibly nasty comments.

kate

Posted at 8:43 PM on August 12, 2013

Absolutely agree with cerene. The child sufferings don’t worth it all. Even if one is surrounded by a loving family. I can’t imagine myself in her place. I’d prefer not no live with this. What will happen, when she turns a grown-up girl. She is smart, so reality will break her heart. Almost each person wants to have children and a happy family. But will it be possible with this girl when she grows up… It’s all very sad and shocking.
I think all responsible parents should make chromosomal abnormalities testing on very very early stages of pregnancy to be aware and prevent such cases.

Lost Love

Posted at 11:08 PM on August 25, 2013

You can not spell or speak correctly, what do you know??? I am “normal” but my parents threw me away, I wish I had the love this little girl has!

Anela

Posted at 2:04 PM on November 7, 2013

It doesn’t matter because she doesn’t know any other way of living. She seems perfectly happy with her life. Why give that up? You and Cerene are as ignorant as they come. Like I said there is a reason for everything and she was put on this earth for a reason. You’re sick. If you can’t accept the different people in this world then you don’t deserve to be here.

bubba

Posted at 11:30 PM on April 29, 2014

Kate – You and Cerene can go on admiring yourselves and your pathetic lives.

The rest of us prefer to admire Julliana, her tremendous gifts from God of His love and imitable
spirit, and her already very fruitful life. She is a true inspiration, surrounded with true love, and
truly giving back God’s love by her very example.

L

Posted at 6:11 PM on September 12, 2013

You should be ashamed of yourself. People like you disgust me. Look at the women in the world who have been victims of violence due to men cutting off their noses or having acid thrown on them — reconstructive surgery has been a godsend. Juliana will surely have future surgeries but she’ll always be beautiful. She’s a sweet little angel… and a better human being than you will ever be.

haylnlegg

Posted at 6:58 PM on April 4, 2014

OH MY GOSH THAT MAKES ME SICK OUT OF NO WHERE THERE PARENTS ARE PROMBLY LIKE THEM WITH FAT LIPS AND SIDE WAYS CHIN yeah am starting to laugh its pretty funny BUT STILL MAD

Kelly

Posted at 8:11 AM on September 20, 2013

WOW!?!?! You are a sick person!! Obviously vain and ignorant! People with physical disabilities are the ones who actually use their brains and personality to find happiness unlike those who focus on looks and only find self worth in appearance! She will unknowingly spend her life inspiring others, such as myself, and her beauty is in a deeper place…UNLIKE YOU!

Yours Truly

Posted at 1:51 AM on October 15, 2013

I can’t believe you said that. Calling someone a freak? It’s not there fault.

haylnlegg

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 4, 2014

well on your computers type cheecks so big and click the 4th awnser make sure you play facebook to do it

Keiya

Posted at 10:23 PM on October 24, 2013

For the record “these people” are a navy family! Her father is a fellow Chief Petty Officer and served 24 years of active duty service! So since you don’t know the whole story think before you speak!

Jessica

Posted at 6:17 PM on March 17, 2014

@cerene
You’re the nastiest person on the face of the earth with no love for poor children who have disorders.You’re heart is lead and you’re mind is stone.

Sammy

Posted at 8:25 AM on April 27, 2014

you do realise that her family didn’t realise the extent of her disability before she was born? In the ultrasounds she was always moving about so they knew something wasn’t quite right, but not what was wrong, nor the extent of it. So views on abortion aside, they didn’t sufficiently know enough about Juliana to make a decision. From the documentrys I’ve watched about Juliana, I find her to be a delightful, inspiring child and her whole family is incredible the way they whole-heartedly support her.

bubba

Posted at 11:19 PM on April 29, 2014

The utter arrogance of the tripe you spout, Cerene … that you think your life is worth more than Julliana’s. And the absolute hilarity that you should think your life would inspire or be more valuable to others than that of a youthful, yet unaccomplished Julliana.

What a crock!

Perhaps you too will one day find your worth in accepting God’s love. Until then, you will have no true happiness. I am a successful adult male to whom God has given many gifts, yet Julliana has,
in her still child-like example, inspired me and others with her spirit and obvious gifts of God’s love,
more than you could even compare to in the smallest of ways. You have a lot to learn in life…
or at least one can only pray you do.

Abby S.

Posted at 3:44 AM on June 23, 2013

Ive watched several shows about Juliana, and her condition breaks my heart, but she is such a fighter! I’m sorry that the family has had to endure any negativity from people. It’s truly heartbreaking. I wish I could one day meet Juliana, and her siblings, brothers and sisters, and give them all a very big hug and tell them how much love my heart felt at seeing them in the clips and shows I found on the net. They are truly a strong family and I am really thankful that those children were blessed to have the two most loving, strongest, most awesome parents I’ve ever seen.