Josh Hutcherson & Liam Hemsworth Cast As Peeta & Gale In 'Hunger Games!' Are You As Bummed As I Am?

Mon, April 4, 2011 2:50pm EDT by 30 Comments

Tell us what YOU think of this casting: Do you think Josh & Liam are perfect matches, or total misses?

Like all fans of The Hunger Games series, the HollywoodLife.com staff has been speculating for weeks about which actors will snag the coveted male lead roles, alongside previously announced star Jennifer Lawrence. Well, my friends, the wait is finally over — and I couldn’t be more disappointed! Deadline.com is reporting that Josh Hutcherson has been cast as Peeta, who fights alongside Katniss in the games, while Liam Hemsworth will play her best friend from home, Gale.

Honestly, I’m giving this casting a big ol’ thumbs down.

Even though both actors were included in our list of potential actors for the roles, I had my heart set on some very different faces. Hunter Parrish would have made a perfect Peeta, and judging by his overwhelming victory in our poll, I’m not the only one who thinks so. As for Gale, David Henrie and Logan Lerman both demolished Liam in our poll (Liam ended up with two percent of the votes.)

But regardless of how I feel about these particular actors, I’m going to try to remain excited for the movie — as we all should. It’s a great story, and we’re just going to have to leave things in director Gary Ross‘ more-than-capable hands.

Click here to talk Hunger Games with Andy on Twitter

daliy computer tutorial

Posted at 12:33 PM on June 4, 2012

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I’d like to peer extra posts like this .

Laura Muñoz Jimenez

Posted at 8:43 PM on May 11, 2012

Que coño me estais contando?? there is no better actor Josh Hutcherson to play the role of Peeta, he is great and thanks to this movie I love him, if someone says something bad about josh, I eat with potatoes

Kait

Posted at 6:13 PM on April 12, 2012

Peeta’s casting was PERFECT. No doubt. Josh is completely gorgeous, and well known enough to make people want to see him in this role, but not TOO well known. I completely adore Josh so so much. While I read the book I could picture noting else but those strong muscles in his face. He is so beautiful, I think it was an absolute perfect choice.

Sara

Posted at 2:16 PM on April 10, 2012

I think that Liam is perfect for Gale! All of you saying that David Henrie and Logan Lerman are better for the roll have missed a huge detail.
Gale are older than katniss! And I’m sorry if you are fans of David or Logan but they look like kids compared to Jennifer!
Liam is perfect, he looks like I thought that Gale would look.

And Josh are perfect for Peeta as well!
When I read the book I didn’t see him like Josh BUT now when i think of it he is perfect as Peeta. He has that look in the eyes.
I have seen the movie and they are both the best choices for Gale and Peeta.

Chantaah

Posted at 1:31 AM on April 7, 2012

I also love how they had to switch hair colours basically with each other aha.

Maddie

Posted at 8:45 PM on March 31, 2012

I think Liam is exactly what I pictured for Gale. :]

Also, Josh, I think, is also a great choice for Peeta.

I actually (in my head when I read the book) pictured Peeta similar to Josh, but for Gale I didn’t picture Liam.

Kela

Posted at 1:10 PM on February 15, 2012

In my opinion Josh is the best Peeta they could find, but I am not as sure about Liam as Gale…

Renata

Posted at 10:16 PM on February 4, 2012

In my opinion, I think the actors are ok but they should be switched! Liam would make an awesome Peeta and Josh would make an ok Gale! Anyone else?

Chantaah

Posted at 1:29 AM on April 7, 2012

I just said the exact same thing! (The part about the roles being switched anyway).. I just cant picture Josh as Peeta. Its just not meshing together as one in my head. But Hopefully when I see the movie tomorrow it will (Which I think it will) so no problems .

Megan

Posted at 6:54 AM on April 24, 2012

heck no josh and Laim are perect the way they are

Annie

Posted at 4:32 PM on January 16, 2012

I agree with N.W about Josh having that “hurt in the eyes” vulnerability about him. He is good-looking in a realistic way- like a regular guy you may know and not some out of reach model type, and he also looks thoughtful and a little shy but well-intentioned, like Peeta. I have liked him ever since Bridge to Terabithia and think he is a wonderful actor. In interviews, he seems affable and fun, so I’m glad this awesome role went to an awesome person.

katieg

Posted at 6:32 PM on March 24, 2012

i agree with your comment im reading the book at the moment n i believe he is similar to his character, i like josh Hutcherson in alot of ways. he seems a very genuine guy … and i love his character Peeta in the hunger games i think josh Huthcherson seems good for Peeta il confirm that when i see the movie…not so sure Liam for gale’s character but where i am in the book chapter 15/16 gale seems to only be mentioned and is not featured in the book or movie as much as petta so im not that bothered unless they make a flop of the brilliant but i hope they do well :)also for gale’s character in the 1st book .. i don’t really like gale’s character in general (he seems predictable like i know everything about him and don’t want really care about him) when hes name is mentioned in the book iam not very excited where as when peeta is my face lights up does anyone else get this or is it just me ??hope the movie is as good as the book

N.W.

Posted at 10:55 PM on January 1, 2012

I think Liam Hemsworth has a great look for Gale too. Him and Katniss are supposed to look a like and David and Logan(who I love) look nothing like Jennifer.

N.W.

Posted at 9:00 PM on December 31, 2011

For anyone who says Josh isn’t a perfect Peeta is out of their minds! I have always pictured Peeta with a somewhat hurt look in his eyes, and Josh has that look. Oh and Peeta is an awesome painter and Josh has played painters/drawers before and played them very well!

S

Posted at 8:02 PM on December 28, 2011

Jennifer Lawrence is great as Katniss, but honestly I dont really like Josh as Peeta. He just doesnt fit it. He isnt the best actor. Hunter Parrish would have been much better. And as for Gale, hes okay.

horney dude

Posted at 6:44 PM on November 8, 2011

who wants to see my boner? ps i m 12

Beth

Posted at 4:49 PM on October 31, 2011

I think they were cast perfectly! Especially Josh as Peeta! He can play this part with his eyes closed, it is so who he is. And, “Hello” ever heard of dying your hair?!! They died it blonde and he looks great!! Even Suzanne Collins said if he had had purple hair and giant wings she would have said “Cast him! We can work around the wings!” Give the author a little credit to be able to recognize the perfect people for her characters!! You ROCK JOSH!!!!!

katieg

Posted at 6:39 PM on March 24, 2012

im glad u mentioned how josh is a great peeta :)very like his character .. he seems funny,and humble in real life i hope people give him the praise he deserves …. im reading the book and i think josh is a good choice i hope 2 see the film soon so then il confirm whether or not he suits his character …. i have a feeling he will :D

randomz

Posted at 10:13 PM on October 26, 2011

I think Woody Harrelson was the only actor that was rightly cast….

Lola

Posted at 12:37 PM on July 20, 2011

I think they are perfect for the roles!!!!!
I prefer Liam Hemsworth as Gale
HELLOOO!!!! Logan Lerman as Gale will be terrible!!!!

Tyler

Posted at 11:24 PM on May 28, 2011

Why don’t you wait to see the movie to start judging them. They don’t have the right vibe?… what? They are actors. Would you rather have good actors who pull of the role perfectly or people who look just like the character and hav the right ‘vibe’? They will make them look like Gale and Peeta, so stop worrying and they will act just like Gale and Peeta in the books or else they wouldn’t have given them the parts in the movie. So stop making accusations before the movie has even come out.

natalie0908

Posted at 8:16 PM on April 9, 2011

i will not watch if miley cyrus’s boyfriend is gale!!! they did a TERRIBLE jog at casting!!!!!! liam is too old for either role… and is just scummy looking…. EWWWWWW!!! >:(

naty

Posted at 10:37 AM on April 6, 2011

if they want liam and josh for the roles, then i have to say that it would be better if liam is peeta.. cuz of his hair and eyes!! and josh for Gale!! i mean.. they had it all backwards!!!

manies_flip

Posted at 4:43 AM on June 25, 2011

Thats what I thougth too at first, but as I now see, Josh is perfect as Peeta (cuz hes suppose to be stocky built and medium height) and Liam is perfect as Gale (cuz he’s tall and handsome) :D

Nicole

Posted at 9:09 PM on April 4, 2011

There is no fucking way I’m watching this movie now. I’m just so tired of blockbusters and directors doing what they think it’s best for the movie instead of remaining faithful to the awesome story The Hunger Games is.
I just hope this can be changed, or otherwise, I will always have the books – which in fact will be far better than any of the movies.
And for the record, Parrish ftw.

Wes

Posted at 5:19 PM on April 4, 2011

Worst casting since Miley Cyrus in any project!!

Alie

Posted at 4:38 PM on April 4, 2011

Hunter Parrish will always be my Peeta. I’m okay with Liam Hemsworth, but I agree, Josh Hutcherson doesn’t have the Peeta vibe to him. But I suppose the casting directors know best, so I’ll just have to wait and see. I’m disappointed, but theres no use crying over it (even though that’s all I want to do right now). Josh Hutcherson, please don’t disappoint me.

alice

Posted at 3:49 PM on April 4, 2011

totally agree with you on this one. Big thumbs down. And I’m not even going to nitpick about hair color and all the physical attributes. Both just don’t have a Peeta and Gale vibe. Peeta should be quietly charistmatic. I have seen josh hutcherson in many films and he just has problems coming across as gentle and charismatic. He can act, no doubt but does he have likeability – sadly, no. And remember when he thought he was going to be spiderman and the fans were like no way. i would have picked Hunter Parrish too, there’s something gentle and kind about his demeanor. Even Logan Lerman could actually be a better Peeta and at least has blue eyes lol

I am so happy this didn’t happen to my favorite YA book
The Perks of Being a Wallflower-Logan Lerman and Emma Watson now that’s what I call smart casting.

Ally

Posted at 3:10 PM on April 4, 2011

The casting directors never get anything right. But I guess it’s about the quality of the acting, so I’ll reserve my judgement when i see the movie.

naty