He’s no superhero, but you’ll love a buff Jake as a time-traveling soldier!
Jake Gyllenhaal has to save Chicago from a terrorist attack in the thrilling Source Code, one of the most fun movies of the season! Jake plays a time-traveling soldier who can take the identity of a dead person for the last eight minutes of their life in order to solve crimes. Chicago is on the brink of disaster, and Jake is the only one who can stop the terrorist force in time!
HollywoodLife.com saw the movie at The Cinema Society & Coach screening on March 31 and loved it. Here are five great reasons to go see Source Code!
1) After misfiring as an action lead in the failed fantasy Price of Persia: The Sands Of Time, Jake definitely makes an impression as the compassionate lead of this thriller. We’ve loved him in romantic fare such as Love and Other Drugs, but he certainly has the gravitas and physique to carry a thoughtful action picture.
2) Even though there is a terrorist attack to contend with, Jake has plenty of time to romance his costar Michelle Monaghan, and the two have great chemistry as star-crossed lovers with shifting identities. It’s one of the best and most unexpected romances of the year.
3) The heart of this action sci-fi thriller is the mystery of the bomber’s identity, and it will keep you guessing from the beginning to the shocking reveal. It’s great fun putting the clues together and trying to figure out the mystery before Jake does.
4) The movie is expertly directed by Duncan Jones — the son of David Bowie –who brings a deft hand to the intricate web of action and plotting that develops. It would be easy to make many of these time traveling scenes seem flat onscreen, but Duncan has the uncanny ability to keep the narrative flowing.
5) It seems like every big-budget movie is set in either New York City or Los Angeles, so it was nice to see Chicago get a bit of love. The city is almost a character itself, with great aerial shots showcasing the sprawling beauty of some of the area’s best landmarks.
After the screening at the Crosby Street Hotel, celebrities who attended the Source Code afterparty were treated to Purity Vodka martinis and cocktails.
Sound off about Source Code below, HollywoodLifers: are you excited to see Jake in action or will you just wait for his next romantic comedy?