Kirstin Says: No Surprises On 'Idol' Eliminations, But Paul Better Step Up His Game!

Thu, March 31, 2011 9:45pm EDT by 15 Comments

Tonight we said goodbye to Naima Adedapo and Thia Megia on ‘American Idol.’ Are you surprised?

Raise your hand if the American Idol results show March 31 left you stunned in any way, shape or form. No one? Yeah, me neither. We had to get rid of two of the Top 11 contestants and I think America made the right choices.

Unlike last week’s results show when the judges used their one save on Casey Abrams, tonight’s episode had few (if not zero) plot twists. Little Thia Megia and creative Naima Adedapo were sent packing and Paul McDonald was given a good dose of reality.

The 26-year-old Rod Stewart-esque character was in the bottom three…and for good reason. His rendition of Elton John‘s “Rocket Man” the night before was one of his weakest performances yet and made his limitations glaringly obvious — namely, he’s one dimensional.

The person for whom I felt the most sorry was little Miss Lauren Alaina, who broke down sobbing when she learned her BFF on the show, Thia, was going home. My source in the studio audience tells me Lauren couldn’t stop crying and hugged Thia from the second the goodbye package started, until the show was well over. Apparently, Steven Tyler – who’s been obsessed with Lauren from day one — even went on stage and consoled the 16-year-old country singer for a few minutes. It’s got to be hard to lose your partner in crime, but I hope Lauren can stay strong enough emotionally to handle the competition. Lord knows she’s talented enough to make it to the end!

What did YOU think about tonight’s show? Did you like the performances? Were you surprised by the results? Sound off below!

fran armstrong

Posted at 12:25 PM on April 2, 2011

Think the right two were voted off..It will be interesting from now on, as all contestants can si8ng..It will depend on what they do each show..Judges…Celine Dion doesn’t “rock”, why does Pia have to? Quit on Stephano’s eyes, he connects..Kirsten, right on, enjoy your observations…Fab Fran

Ros

Posted at 3:59 PM on April 1, 2011

I felt sorry for Thia and Naima being eliminated, but I think this year American Idol battle are competition for big voices. Although I´d rather listen to Thia Megias sweet voice than listening to screaming pitchless voices, but I must admit AI is more a popularity contest. On the other hand Thia is very, very young while Naima is a joy to watch but I´m sure there will be a big future and wonderful career ahead of them. At least, they will be touring with the winner and will be gaining more popularities.

nellie

Posted at 3:55 PM on April 1, 2011

I’m happy to see that Casey is staying! Banana head needed to hit the road, she’s the only one I truly despised this season. Aside from Lauren. Lauren I hate because she’s a little attention whore. Got in on her flirting and sexing up the judges.

gbtw

Posted at 10:05 AM on April 4, 2011

haha… interesting take… who and what is a banana head? never would’ve been so crass about sweet little lauren. the idea that she’s only there b/c of flirting ans “sexing up” the judges is absurdly funny. such a surprising viewpoint. have you actually listened to her voice, by chance?

nanlu

Posted at 12:12 PM on April 1, 2011

The right ones got the boot…….i do think this is the best idol show ever……..soo much fun to see the group do their thing with each other….it has been a great season for me so far…….great job reporting, Kirstin

April

Posted at 11:54 PM on March 31, 2011

It’s not over on the west coast. Can’t you wait to post this at least until we get to see it??

MJ

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 1, 2011

Maybe you shouldn’t read the story if you haven’t seen the show yet and want to be surprised. Seriously, this stuff is all over the internet, twitter, facebook, etc. after it airs on the east coast. The best way NOT to know is to either stay off the internet or don’t read the story. It’s obvious by the title that the results will be included in the post.

April

Posted at 1:58 AM on April 8, 2011

I didn’t need to even read the post… it was in the photo included on the front page. Otherwise I wouldn’t have read it.

Lois

Posted at 11:20 PM on March 31, 2011

No surprises tonight – I felt the 2 selected would be voted off – I’ve never seen a season with so much talent.

georgina

Posted at 10:00 PM on March 31, 2011

Yeah, not so surprised those two went tonight. They were definitely the weakest. At least they get to tour…

Rider

Posted at 10:34 PM on March 31, 2011

You are an idiot. I bet you are white.

Shallot

Posted at 11:00 PM on March 31, 2011

Wow. Youre racist.

MJ

Posted at 2:20 PM on April 1, 2011

Ha ha. What the heck does that have to do with anything? That girl just said she thought they were the weakest. Why does that mean she is white? What a weird comment.

JC

Posted at 6:23 PM on April 1, 2011

yeah right, there was really no clue in there of being racist! funny how somebody got that vibe..hmmmmm

gbtw

Posted at 10:00 AM on April 4, 2011

stop being an idiot. are they sexist, too?