Parents Outraged Over 'Totally Inappropriate' Breastfeeding Doll For Little Girls!

Tue, March 29, 2011 12:45pm EST by 13 Comments

Makers of “The Breast Milk Baby” claim that their new doll teaches young girls about the “magic of motherhood.” WHAT?

OK, this toy sounds even more inappropriate than padded bikini tops! A new doll designed for a child to simulate breastfeeding has sparked a huge amount of rage among concerned parents. Do you think The Breast Milk Baby ($89.00) is appropriate for young girls?

The doll, manufactured by Berjuan Toys, comes complete with a bib for the child to wear that has a flower indicating where the nipple is. If the doll is held up to the flower, it begins making suckling noises and starts to cry if it is not burped after “feeding.” This is just weird!

After the doll hit the shelves, parents went on the Internet to discuss their disgust over the “totally inappropriate” doll. “Why would a little girl need to learn how to breast-feed before she has breasts? Before she goes through puberty?” a commenter wrote on a New York Daily News article. “This is another disgusting example of forcing adulthood on our children decades before they’re ready to absorb it.”

But the maker of the new “motherhood” toy defends the doll, saying, “The whole purpose of The Breast Milk Baby is to teach children the nurturing skills they’ll need to raise their own healthy babies in the future,” Dennis Lewis, U.S. spokesman for Berjuan Toys explains. “We really don’t understand why this has created such controversy.”

I just think this is taking playtime (girls pretending to be mommies) a little too far.

What’s YOUR take HollyMoms? Do you think this doll is appropriate for young children?

–Leigh Blickley
Bonnie Says: Abercrombie & Fitch Is Nuts To Sell Padded Bikini Bras For 8-Year-Olds!
Elton John Is Breastfeeding His Baby. Wait, What?!

Luis

Posted at 4:09 AM on November 27, 2011

alright people calm down stop pretending that your children might not already be pretending to breast feed i am my little sister one day got her doll and said she was giving her milk, we still don’t know where she got that from so, yeah kids will learn even if you don’t they are……

Kellie

Posted at 12:12 PM on May 10, 2011

Seriously? They’re are dolls that pee. Dolls that cry. Dolls that eat from bottles. And THIS is what offends people??? The only thing offensive about this doll, is the price.
I have 3 small kids. 5,3 and 1. They have pretended to nurse their babies, because they have never seen a baby have a bottle in this house. That’s not saying that a bottle is a bad thing…it’s just the facts. On June 15 I will be breastfeeding for 6 straight years. If anyone out there thinks that I go hide from my other kids to feed, you’re out of your mind. They know what it is, and what it’s for, and they get it…even at their age.
If my sons see someone bf-ing in a restaurant they say, “oh the baby is eating”. Wow…imagine that knowledge at 3 and 5 years old!!
For those of you who think this is offensive, you’re probably the same people that hide yourself in fear that your child might see you getting out of the shower. That’s fine…we are all different, but don’t put it off as saying it’s disgusting, or that they are trying to make little girls sexual. I know this may surprise some people, but hold on to your hats…breasts are for feeding!!! Don’t worry guys, you’ll be alright.

Mom23

Posted at 1:32 AM on April 2, 2011

Seriously? What parents are outraged? It is so sad that despite all the scientific evidence and positive advocacy about breastfeeding we continue as a society to view breasts as sex organs (which they are not – we’re called MAMMALS for a reason). I don’t understand why pretending to be a mommy feeding baby from bottle is acceptable, but pretending to feed baby from your breast is not. I am nursing my third child and the first two (girl and boy) often see me nurse. I want them to see and know that it’s loving and natural and definitely not disgusting. I think one reason so many women don’t breastfeed is precisely because of attitudes like this one. My daughter turns 6 in a couple of months. She’s getting this doll as a gift, it’s perfect. And no, if you don’t breastfeed your child you’re not a “bad” mother, but if you don’t want to even try, maybe you shouldn’t be a mother in the first place?

Amal

Posted at 5:57 PM on March 31, 2011

If they are going to waste their money on making a doll for little kids to practice, I think that’s wrong.
If they really like this idea try making one for teens to practice in health classes or for new moms. That has to be a lot better.

LITTLE GIRLS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PRACTICING BREASTFEEDING UNTIL THEY ARE OLDER AND ARE CERTAIN THEY EVEN WANT KIDS!

Crystaline

Posted at 7:15 AM on March 30, 2011

OK seriously, my kids will not be allowed to have this doll. I understand that breastfeeding is wonderful and I did it with all 3 of my kids until they were almost a year old and my 2 older one did try to mimic it when their brother came along but I am not going out and buying them a toy that encourages it. Breastfeeding is suppose to be between mother and child not child and babydoll. People say it provides wholesome values and practice for when their older but its not right. There are way to many markets today trying to appeal to yournger kids with stuff that is outrageous. Just like the push up bikini, my eight year old has nothing to push up so why in the world would we buy her something that tries to

Kendra

Posted at 10:25 PM on March 29, 2011

I don’t see anything wrong with this. I work with young children and over the years have seen countless young girls (and boys) hold their baby dolls to their chest to mimic breastfeeding, particularly if their parents have recently had a baby. They are simply imitating the behavior they see. It seems like the manufacturers saw this and decided to make it official with this doll. It’s not causing kids to do anything they don’t do already. Besides, what is wrong with a child learning about something as natural as breastfeeding? Its no different to me than those dolls that “pee”.

Black Beauty

Posted at 4:52 PM on March 29, 2011

What is wrong with people today???? Why do we want our children to grow up so fast? Let them be little girls. What ever happen to dolls that were atomically incorrect? Don’t get me wrong there is nothing with breast feeding I just have a problem with children learing certain information before their time.

ann

Posted at 4:27 PM on March 29, 2011

very sick!!! your not a bad mom if you don’t breastfeed!

earth goddess

Posted at 4:40 PM on March 29, 2011

true! i was never breast-fed, and i have a great mother! but why do little girls need experience for breast-feeding anyway? its a natural thing, not something you need to practice, like cooking.

Kendra

Posted at 10:29 PM on March 29, 2011

Well, actually many women do need practice. that’s why they send a nurse in to the hospital to help new mothers. Not all babies will latch on right away and it can be very frustrating.

Ciarra

Posted at 3:09 PM on March 29, 2011

Really? Are you serious? So what exactly does having a baby doll that drinks a bottle and has baby furniture do? Really sick and tired of people taking the natural form of feeding a baby and calling it disgusting. What the hell do you think women did before bottles and formula? Dear god… I don’t care if a mother chooses formula thats her right. For the love of god though its a doll thats showing a natural side of feeding a baby get over yourself!

Dragonfly

Posted at 2:24 PM on March 29, 2011

I think this is wonderful!! Have you never seen little girls (with small baby siblings) pretend to breastfeed their dollies? Kids emulate their parents ALL the time and for once, it can involve doing something wholesome, healthy and natural.

People need to get their mind out the gutter and realize this has nothing to do with the hyper-sexualization of girls these days à la bikini tops or high heels.

Honestly, I expected more from Hollybaby.com;-(

Mom23

Posted at 1:35 AM on April 2, 2011

I totally agree with you, Dragonfly. My daughter who is 5.5 pretends to nurse her dolls anyways – she’s seen my nurse her younger brother and now sister. Nursing is natural, wholesome, beautiful and healthy. The “outraged” attitude is sad.