Bethenny Frankel: I Knew I'd Get My Own Show Even Before 'Real Housewives!' Exclusive!

Sat, March 26, 2011 10:00am EST by 24 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

Bethenny saw ‘RHONY’ as a mere transition to help her launch her empire — not as a goal in itself. And she doesn’t miss her old cast mates in the least!

Former The Real Housewives of New York star Bethenny Frankel had a plan to get her own reality show from the very beginning. So when Jill Zarin introduced Bethenny to the producers at Bravo and they asked her to join the cast of RHONY, Bethenny saw this as the opportunity that she needed. “It was definitely a plan,” Bethenny tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively. “It was definitely something I knew was going to happen. I could see it.”

So when Bethenny joined the cast, she made it a point to “separate from the pack” as she puts it in her new book, A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life. “I separated in a sense that Season One — everybody was being frivolous,” Bethenny explains to us. “I was just trying to build a career and I was already working on all the projects.”

“Bravo is very much a network that is known for and relishes big drama, diamonds, glam, money and luxury,” Bethenny says. “I was not that. I had no money, I lived in 700 square-foot apartment. I had no idea what was going on in my life emotionally or career-wise. I separated in the sense that I wasn’t going to pretend I was somebody I wasn’t. I had to separate from the pack and be truthful.”

And when Bethenny found out she was getting her own show, not one of her fellow cast members — Ramona Singer, Alex McCord, Jill, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps or Kelly Bensimon — congratulated her. Were they jealous?

Now, Bethenny’s in the second season of her own show Bethenny Ever After — and she’s happier than ever that she’s no longer a housewife. “I don’t regret not being on that show at all,” she tells us. “I don’t miss a minute of it.”

In Bethenny Ever After, “no one is doing anything violent or outlandish for television,” Bethenny says. “I just love the natural way about this show because it’s true.” Wow!

Quite a jab at her old BFFs!

- Lindsey DiMattina

Maz and Wendy UK

Posted at 10:11 PM on October 11, 2011

Bethany could only be a success because the public liked it..get over it kids..the girl is good

Elizabeth

Posted at 6:52 PM on June 28, 2011

Hi Bethany,
Hope this will make you smile. I happened to catch one of your episodes of Bethany Getting Married and I was hooked. I followed you through the whole season of Bethany Ever After. When it was over i was so curious about how you got your start and feeling withdraw of no more new episodes… lol. I downloaded the first 3 seasons of RHONY on itunes and watched them all in about 3 days! lol
It was great!! my eyeballs feel like a bobble head and my husband thinks i’m nuts..lol but it was great to check out of life and do nothing. I have to say it was alarming to see Kelly’s behavior… is she bi-polar? Greed and jealousy are predictable but Kelly needs help and medication!!

Beverly Fulton

Posted at 6:52 PM on May 1, 2011

Hi Bethanny, I am proud of you. If you are still planning on moving to the L.A.Ca. area, you should hire my daughter Manda Owen. She now lives with me, her mom, Bev in San Diego Ca. She returned to S.D. last year after 10 yrs. living in NYC. Manda also graduated from NYU. She has been doing childcare for now, taking care of a six month old precious baby boy. Manda has been working as a bartender in Del Mar Ca. also. I was born in L.A. area, Glendale, and my daughter knows L.A. like the back of her hand. Manda is 5ft. 11in., and as I would put it, has an athletic build. She could be a great bodyguard, as you have become so famous, and may need protection. Manda is very out going, and personable. I do know Manda would be a great help for you and your family, as you begin your new life here in California. Mandas Phone number 858-245-9171, 858-270-7078 Thank-you, Bev

Bethenny Frankel

Posted at 1:37 AM on April 10, 2011

I’m glad Bethenny got what she wanted. But there’s that old saying, “Be careful what you wish for.” Sorry Beth, but your show is incredibly boring. The purpose of these reality shows is the constant drama. Bethenny is Boring the Bejeezus Out of Us is a much better title. I don’t think her ex-cast mates have anything to be jealous of. Leave it to Beaver was more amusing in the 50’s–at least the name Beaver was funny. This show is 2 Valiums & a Zanax w/a shot of Vodka. Add a doobie…and the show is still BORING to the point of coma-time. Enjoy your fame & fortune Bethenny. I don’t think the fame will last. Sorry.

fysty1

Posted at 1:01 AM on July 24, 2011

Sounds like your jealous, and her success will last. She has a caring heart,shes honest and shes true to her self. Why would you say something like that? She deserves her success. Im happy for you Bethenny, YOU GO GIRL!!! Let your HATERS be your MOTIVATORS.

Sarah Palin

Posted at 5:17 PM on April 3, 2011

Bethenny, you go girl! You speak your mind and we love you for it! Keep it up!

Alaska loves you!

Sarah

Tabitha

Posted at 6:59 AM on March 29, 2011

Bethenny is okay…

Jill Zarin is a jealous, hateful, ugly, voice-impaired person.
She and that large psycho Kelly need to go away….

Bethenny Frankel

Posted at 1:41 AM on April 10, 2011

Tabitha,

Jill voice impaired? I LOVE it! And you’re right about the rest.

Juliandra

Posted at 8:13 PM on March 27, 2011

when someone disagrees w/ you, it is silly & tiresome to accuse them of being one of the HWives undercover. Plz stop.

Bicheny’s shows since RHNY highlight exactly what she is, a hselfish, scheming liar w/ no conscience. Look how she treats her employees, inlaws, badgers jason, disses his friends while she has none. She is so hateful. It is not witty or humorous, it’s ugly. She is ugly inside & doesn’t even know it.

Wooly

Posted at 8:01 AM on March 27, 2011

I’m not surprised that none of the other ‘Housewives’ congratulated Bethenny when she got her own show. It was VERY obvious that the others were jealous of her to such a bizarre that it was almost comical to watch. ALL of the drama invented on the last season of RHONY was because they were jealous that Bethenny had gotten her own show, and had books on the best sellers list — and they (the jealous ones) were nothing but stupid women who live off rich husbands. Especially Jill Zarin: Her ‘friendship’ with Bethenny was the only thing that made her tolerable. Once she showed her true colors and turned on Bethenny, in the blatant, horrific way, the audience turned on her completely. She’ll never come back from that no matter how many PR people she hires.

I say good for Bethenny! She was the only thing that made RHONY watchable, and I expect RHONY’s ratings to drop down to nothing without her.

Bethenny Ever After, however, is funny and charming and just a lot of fun. No fake drama – no middle-aged women acting like 13 year olds – just light fun.

lbryant936

Posted at 11:48 AM on March 28, 2011

I can not, for the life of me, believe that there are people in this world that is so gullible to believe the crap that spews from Bethenny’s mouth.
She has done nothing on her own. Even her spin off show was due to Bravo scripting and showing you what they wanted you to see of the show. Unfortunately, I did watch the first show of her first season and the first show of this season. She showed me in both exactly why I do not like her or her mouth. She is a manipulator and makes it her life to cut innocent people down, including her inlaws, her husband’s friends, her employees and her friends. If that is the reason she has followers, then you people are no better than she is. Because people dislike Bethenny does not mean that they like Jill or Kelly any better. The two do not go hand-in-hand.
Her “honesty” and “balls to the walls” outlook on life is nothing more than her saying exactly what is on her mind before thinking about who it may hurt. She is callous and just plain mean. She is not a mentor that I would want anyone that I care about to follow. If you think that this is normal then it is those of you that support her that are actually the dysfunctional ones.

Love Bethenny's Show!

Posted at 4:43 PM on March 26, 2011

I love Bethenny Ever After so I’m glad she did the RHONY if only to get her own show. Her show is charming, fun and sexy! And, her husband is HOT! Love it! The drama on her show is so much more understandable than any of that mess on RHONY. They need a brand new set of New York housewives because no one is interested in those ladies. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of older women trying desperately to be relevant in New York. What they need to learn is most people watching DO NOT envy their lives AT ALL! What I learned from RHONYC is that I DO NOT want to live my life or spend my time the way these ladies do. It’s a lesson in what NOT to do!

chris

Posted at 2:38 PM on March 26, 2011

LOVE BETHENNY EVER AFTER.
NO JILL ZARIN, NO CRAAAAZY KELLY! NO AWFUL HIGH SCHOOL BEHAVIOR —JUST A FUN SHOW.
SAD NOBODY WISHED HER LUCK. I NEVER EXPECTED JEALOUS JILL TO. NO NY FOR ME ANY MORE. WOULD RATHER LAUGH THEN GET CAUHHT UP IN CRAAAAAZY KELLY AND MEAN JILL AGAIN!
I DID ENJOY RAMONA (AT TIMES) AND I WILL MISS ALEX.

Sour Grapes

Posted at 2:17 PM on March 26, 2011

Rose, you have got to me kidding me. Jill was never mean to Bethenny? Really? Jill tried to sabotage Bethenny’s show. Ramona, Alex and Bravo producers all knew about it. Obviously, you are not just a fan of the show, you are connected to Jill and Kelly on some level because you sound just like members of her “team”. To claim that Bravo scripted Jill’s bad behavior to make Bethenny look good is absurd. Jill’s behavior was worse behind the scenes. The ratings better be good this season for RHONYC because if they aren’t, Jill and Kelly will be blamed for destroying the NY franchise.

I am happy for Bethenny and she has worked hard to become successful. Hard work and determination pay off eventually. I wish her the best in all of her future endeavors.

nnylfa

Posted at 12:34 PM on March 26, 2011

I can appreciate her honesty and realness to a situation. She saw stars and went for it. Why is that bad? People do that in a smaller scale everyday in business, moms clubs, school, etc. I respect her and love her total zeal for “balls to the wall” outlook on life. Good for her! She gives us normal folks some sense that you can make yourself out of nothing. Now that is an inspriation.

Rose

Posted at 11:42 AM on March 26, 2011

Why would anyone congratulate, have respect or be happy for a person who will pimp herself out to any and every single venue to earn a buck. No one likes a blatantly greedy, pig. This woman has a team of people behind her who make her successful because they themselves make a buck off of her aggressiveness and big mouth. They have all to gain to help promote her. Yet rarely does she appreciate anyone! Even in her liquor sales. How come she never mentions her former liquor partner who without him, she probably couldn’t sell one case. Or she never gives verbal credit to Eve Adamson, the woman who actually writes her books. Even her workout videos have to be partnered with a professional trainer. She is only a “cult of personality”. Does she do anything on her own? Yet she professes to the world how she has made it all on her own. Sorry, honey, you are a talentless hag and the people who surround you have played an integral part in putting you where you are today.

Bethenny uses everyone around her. It is so obvious to see. RHONY is just a reality show. To hate Jill or Kelly or any of the characters because you think they are mean to Bethenny is completely absurd. I am commenting because I can’t believe how insane this all is to me. All Reality shows are somewhat scripted and edited to make characters and situations look a certain way. Obviously, Bravo created all the drama surrounding Bethenny and the other characters so that you would root for her.

Isn’t there anyone left on this planet who has a mind of their own and some common sense. I will give Bethenny the highest of credits in her ability to manipulate her fans.

This woman always comes out smelling like roses, yet she is a piece of “sh*t”!

Commenting on this has nothing at all to do with hate it has all to do with awareness of the dumbing down of this country and how her “obsessive like” fans revere and uphold a severely dysfunctional, damaged, train wreck of a person as a role model. It’s unbelievable to me and that’s why I comment! I can’t help myself…

Stormyboo

Posted at 3:13 PM on March 26, 2011

Now Rose/Jill that was a little mean, People are going to do what people want to do, no housewife has written their own book, all of them have help, even the sweet [not]Khate Gosselin!! What do you think Bethenny is actually making and bottling the booze herself? Piece of s$*t? Then you know her or you just think you know her? That was a bit much for just watching her on TV.

Jill was jealous, Jill figured out what was to happen w/Bethenny and she wanted on that band wagon and there was no room for her Things can be staged but its not off a script, people are still gonna say and do what they want aka Kelly, Nene, Danielle, Kim, Gretchen, they are reality TV personalities not actresses

It all Pop Culture and trying to make some sort of sense of it or to blame Bethenny for all it is crazy, so Jill stop reading all the crap in the www and get a hobby!!!!!

Okay, Okay!

Posted at 4:05 PM on March 26, 2011

You made your point AFTER five paragraphs!! Listen, I’m a Bethenny fan and no way do I believe she built this empire all on her own. And, we all know NO ONE gets away w/much for long. So if Ms. Adamson or anyone else feels slighted by Bethenny than they should take it up with her. I never believed she wrote her own books by herself or put together her workout videos on her own. However, I do admire Bethenny’s determination and perserverence and that’s what draws viewers and fans to her. CLEARLY this chick is NOT perfect and she says the craziest things and overreacts to minor issues all the time. But, that’s what people like because guess what that’s what happens in real life to all of us! Who really thinks this woman can do it all? Not me. She has everything she wants, but NONE of it is done perfectly..EVER. So guess what WE can relate! I can’t relate to women who marry into money and ONLY have to work IF they want to. It’s boring to watch and comes off soo silly. Particularly when they fight and cry over inane issues.

If Jill’s husband divorced her and left her with nothing but her daughter and her dog what would she do? Now, that would be interesting! Crying all the time when you have support from a loving husband and unlimited money is so damn ridiculous and frankly BORING. So buck up Rose! If you think Bethenny is a greedy pig then you must think that about ALL the housewives! Seriously, how many books, clothing lines, jewelry, and downright AWFUL songs have these women pimped out after each season. Waay too many to count. You need to direct your criticism to the network for creating the vehicle that allowed ALL THE LADIES to capitalize! Because Rose– they ALL are!

Sour Grapes

Posted at 9:23 PM on March 26, 2011

I know who “Rose” is. It’s not Jill this time. “Rose” is a blogger from Chicago Now. I knew that ranting style of writing seemed familiar. LOL! Rose/Jenn may be a little cranky because she has a criminal court date on Monday. lol

Lbryant936

Posted at 10:38 AM on March 28, 2011

Totally agree with this.
She will and has stepped on anyone and everyone who got in her way. She’s nothing but trailer park trash.

Lbryant936

Posted at 10:44 AM on March 28, 2011

Didn’t know that it would show up at the end. It was supposed to be in reply to Rose’s comment.
Bethenny has shunned her BFF’s from RHONY since she started her new show. She said she wants nothing to do with them. She got what she wanted by stepping on those that got in her way and Bravo helped her out by making it seem like Jill was the bad person.
I guess, now that Ramona and Alex are speaking poorly of Bethenny, that they will be your next targets on the boards. You people are the epitome of crazed groupies.

Madison

Posted at 2:26 AM on March 30, 2011

Rose,

I agree with you 100%. Kudos to you for taking the time to right out your opinions. I see what you see re: the train wreck that is B. You are not alone.

RealityZen Is A Thief

Posted at 11:43 PM on April 1, 2011

We all know who Rose is. She says that Bethenny is a greedy pig. At least Bethenny works for her money and she doesn’t have to steal like Rose does. Rose steals from her family members. Rose, maybe if you attempted to earn an honest living, you could be successful like Bethenny but you prefer to steal from people. Don’t you? I’m surprised you didn’t include a PayPal donation button at the end of your comment.

Emma

Posted at 11:09 AM on March 26, 2011

How arrogant!!! Pull your head out of your ass Bethenny!!! You ain’t Martha Stewart…