Kirstin's 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: Arizona's Proposal Was Desperate & Callie Needs To Get Over Mark!

Fri, March 25, 2011 3:24am EDT by 11 Comments

After a four week hiatus, Grey’s Anatomy came back March 24 with a bang (literally), which left me stunned…and a little peeved

Whenever characters on television are driving and talking, I always get nervous. Inevitably, intense car scenes end in trauma — and unfortunately, the March 24 episode of Grey’s Anatomy was no exception. Callie and Arizona were driving through the woods when…WHAM…disaster struck. And whether he deserves it or not, I place ALL the blame on Mark.

I love Calzona, so it breaks my heart watching Callie put Mark and Arizona on an equal level. Sure, Mark’s the father of Callie’s baby, but Arizona is her PARTNER. I don’t understand why she thinks they both get equal say in her life. Yes, parenting the child together is one thing. However, at the end of the day, Callie should be looking out for Arizona first and foremost.

But she doesn’t. After hyper-focusing on her baby shower the entire episode, Callie offers to take Arizona to a bed and breakfast away from the city. The trip goes well for a whopping 10 minutes, before Mark calls Callie, destroyed because he realizes Avery and Lexie are hooking up (that’s a whole other story). In typical Callie fashion, she puts Mark first and tries to call him back to console him. Frustrated (and rightfully so), Arizona grabs Callie’s cell phone and throws it in the back seat.

Never one to back down, Callie refuses to give up, takes off her seat belt (make a mental note of that) and picks up her phone. Meanwhile, she goes on a rant about how she’s trying to make Arizona, Mark and the baby inside her happy and it’s hard and she’ll do anything Arizona tells her.

(At this point, I was so angry at Callie. Once again, WHY is she trying to keep Mark happy? He’s the father and the friend, NOT her husband or boyfriend.)

Then, in a jealously-fueled power struggle, Arizona asks Callie to marry her from out of nowhere. It’s not romantic and it’s clearly not meant to happen right then. The proposal seems forced and done for the wrong reasons.

Unfortunately, before any of this can be digested Calzona’s car crashes and it’s all over. End scene. UGH.

Even though I saw it coming, my mouth was still agape. All I wanted was one scene with the old-fashioned Calzona chemistry! Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so. Next week, we’ll watch the beloved members of Seattle Grace Mercy West sing through the hallways as they desperately try to save Callie and her unborn baby. I hope they both make it, but I have a feeling Calzona the couple won’t be as lucky.

Do YOU think Calzona is over for good or will they figure out their issues after this accident?

What did you think about the rest of the episode “This Is How We Do It?” Will Adele be admitted into Mer and Der’s trial? Will Cristina become Chief Resident, even though Owen is in charge of picking?

Lastly, how do you feel about Avery and Lexie? Are they more than just sex or is she meant to get back together with Mark? Sound off below!

jess

Posted at 9:39 AM on March 30, 2011

I love Lexie and Avery together. I think they’re great. It reminds me a lot of Pacey and Joey on Dawson’s Creek actually. Dawsona sked Pacey to go “take care” of Joey and Pacey fell in love. I feel like Mark asking Avery to go listen to Lexie was a similar thing and Avery fell in love too. I really like them together.

As for Callie, Arizona, and Mark. I honestly barely care anymore. Clearly Callie and Arizona aren’t going to stay together. Not with Mark in the picture. Arizona and Mark can’t get along, and when it really comes down to it the baby is Mark’s, not Arizona’s. He has the real right to be there and he’s not going anywhere. Arizona will leave eventually. I think the only way Callie and Arizona will stay together is if the baby dies, which seems really possible.

Of course Grey’s likes to kill off people that the audience loves, so Callie may be a goner. It killed me when George died. And Izzie lived, but she might as well have died too since she’s gone from the show. I think Callie may be next.

guest

Posted at 1:24 PM on March 25, 2011

They’re kinda beating a dead horse with the storyline of Mark, Arizona, Callie. Time to move on with it. I don’t think little Grey should be with Avery. He seems like a creep. She belongs with Mark – who is only kinda creepy. Cristina is the best character on the show (along with Miranda) and would be great as Chief Resident.

Jalonda

Posted at 12:33 PM on March 25, 2011

I’m seriously so over Arizona’s attitude about the whole thing with Callie and Mark sleeping together and now Callie being pregnant b/c of it. Its like every episode now she is having a problem with Mark(Sexy McSteamy). Mark who is being great about the situation and finally has a chance to be a father. Arizona is basically acting like a douche,which by the way if she wouldn’t have left Callie at the airport none of this wouldn’t have happen. She left and expects everything to be all fine when she finally decides to come back. I don’t care if they stay together or not. Its just Arizona needs to seriously get over it, b/c she decided to stay and go through with the situation because she loves Callie. I hope Callie and her baby don’t die. She’s so awesome.
I hope Christina becomes Chief resident. Mer and Der, I hope they figure out whats going on with the Adele. Avery and Lexie….ummmmm I don’t know really what that is.

Katen

Posted at 12:21 PM on March 25, 2011

This show is getting more contrived every week. I hate to admit it but this show is tiring

Kelly

Posted at 8:27 AM on March 25, 2011

Arizona’s put up with alot. I hate this baby storyline. Mark is not enjoyable in it and he’s certainly seems to forget about Lexie a good deal. Both Arizona and Lexie deserve better.

Angela

Posted at 7:09 AM on March 25, 2011

I think Calzona was one of the best couples I have seen on television … they had chemistry , respect , love and then shonda had to keep messing things up by bringing Mark right in the middle of it !! I was already upset about the whole ‘Mark gets Callie pregnant’ storyline but now that Mark is practically one third of the relationship I’m even madder … they need to separate raising the baby together and being a couple …Arizone is the partner NOT Mark …I hope they get it right …

Steph Edmond

Posted at 6:11 AM on March 25, 2011

Callie and Arizona are going to be fine!! I just know it, they are going to have a weird between worlds kinda chat and they will be getting married during may sweeps. I promise you that =] I’m excited.

IVAN

Posted at 5:29 AM on March 25, 2011

In every Hospital, one finds all the, “Types” … Doesn’t matter which Hospital, they all look and feel the samem because all the same Types are there, and Shonda has pegged ‘em very well … The ONLY Real Love that we see, is NOT Meredith and Derek … That is only a Convenience/Challenge thing … The Real one is Sloan & Torres … Arizona needs to go back to Africa, and Sloan and Torres get together and make a family, Marriage and the whole nine yards … Their love is based on Respect, Appreciation, Caring, and they LIKE each other … They are Friends, and it works Best when you marry a Friend … And Karev needs to be Chief Resident

Erica

Posted at 7:01 PM on March 25, 2011

I agree with you Sloan and Torres esp “Their love is based on Respect, Appreciation, Caring, and they LIKE each other … They are Friends, and it works Best when you marry a Friend” I married my friend with benefits and couldn’t be happier. I was watching season 2 and I kinda miss them all being single but we waited so long for Meredeth and Mc Dreamy to get together. I would like to see Arizona stay on the show and find the right women! Yes Karev should be the next Chief Resident he is tough but knows when to be caring. Didn’t even think he should be until I read your comment!

Snaky

Posted at 5:02 AM on March 25, 2011

Callie is so selfish. She wants all : the baby, the woman she loves, the best friend and all the doctors who cares for her ! She wants everybody at her baby shower, even Lexie ! Serisouly ? Mark is not guilty. She is ! And she’s so annoying.
Grey’s Anatomy became Torres’ Anatomy and it’s so boring.Please Shonda, come back at the true Grey’s !

Mambo

Posted at 3:53 AM on March 25, 2011

I’m so glad someone finally write the truth about Mark. All the fanatics are trying to explain how much he’s legitimate in every aspect of Calzona’s couple and life, how great and hot he is, how a wondeful father he would be, blah, blah, blah.

Mark is the worst character on tv right now, he should go away for good and leave the show, Lexie, Calzona and let Grey’s Anatomy go back to its good habits. Callie is so wrong about him too! Arizona is one of the best characters ever written, and the couple was wonderful before the manwhore came between them. Shonda Rhimes should write him off, he’s nothing but annoying.