Florida Parents Say One Student's Peanut Allergy Is Ruining Their School!

Thu, March 24, 2011 1:01pm EST by 15 Comments

The parents at this elementary school say one girl’s extreme allergy is taking away from their children’s learning time.

There’s a bitter battle going on at Edgewater Elementary School, in DeLand, Florida over a little girl with a severe peanut allergy. Parents are concerned that the necessary precautions in the school are taking away from their kid’s class time. They are frustrated that one child’s needs are placed over all of the others. How would you feel about this?

The first-grade classmates are asked to wash their hands before entering their classrooms in the morning and again at lunch. They are also required to rinse their mouths out and wipe their faces with a wet cloth to appease the school district’s efforts to keep the unnamed female student safe. (There is even a peanut-sniffing dog).

“On average, it’s probably taking a good 30 minutes out of the day. That’s my child’s education. Thirty minutes could be a whole subject,” Carrie Starkey tells FoxNews.com. “We understand that they need to protect this girl, but these measures are just extreme. Procedures need to be set in place, but not procedures that will take away from our children’s education.”

But district spokeswoman Nancy Waits tells ParentDish that all of these safety measures were in place last year and have been in place since the beginning of the present school year. “It does take a little bit of time and there is a legitimate concern about cutting down instructional time,” she explains.

Parents are also annoyed with the fact that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are no longer being served at lunch time, but Nancy says that is not true. Protestors were upset about snack time regulations, too. “There is no snack this year at the first-grade level, and some parents thought that was because of the peanut allergy,” she tells admits. “But it’s because of where their lunch time falls. There’s just no time to eat a snack beforehand.”

The little girl who sparked the controversy is the only student at the elementary school whose allergy is life-threatening and, under the Americans With Disabilities Act, the district is legally obliged to accommodate her medical needs.

“We have moved so far beyond isolating children with disabilities,” Nancy says. “We are required to provide her with an education and to make accommodations for her disability.”

So HollyMoms and Dads, whose side do you take?

–Leigh Blickley
This 9-year-old girl is allergic to the cold! Kourtney Kardashian rushes Mason to the hospital after he has an allergic reaction to peanut butter!

Peanut Allergy Case Hits Raw Nerve: MyFoxPHILLY.com

visitcairns.com.au

Posted at 6:05 AM on September 27, 2014

What’s up every one, here every one is sharing such familiarity, thus
it’s fastidious to read this website, and I used to pay a visit this webpage all the time.

Antoine

Posted at 2:48 AM on September 10, 2014

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally
I’ve found something that helped me. Cheers!

Tara

Posted at 1:27 AM on August 4, 2014

I’m pretty pleased to find this website. I want to to
thank you for your time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every part of it
and I have you saved to fav to check out new information in your
blog.

bodidly

Posted at 10:18 AM on April 27, 2012

My son has allergys and can not go to school I wouldnt risk his life. This seems they are still putting this girl in danger. What the school and I are concidering is, using VGO robot.

me

Posted at 4:20 PM on April 15, 2011

Wtf.
To the parent who has a picky eater: SOY PEANUT BUTTER!!!! It taste just the same! :)

To everyone else who is complaining: BE THANKFUL IT’S NOT YOUR CHILD AND SHUT THE F UP!!!

THAT IS ALL

Kristi

Posted at 8:04 AM on March 28, 2011

These parents really need to cut it out and show some compassion for others. They should be teaching the children that anyway but kids learn by example. Kids should be washing hands in school regardless of allergies. Kids with allergies deserve to go to school like everyone else. Its a lot differnet for younger kids then older. Little ones are much messier with food then older kids and get it everywhere that is why it is important to wash hands.
Shannon, yes I’m sure these parents go places with their children with allergies. Its very different when the parent is with them to make sure everything is ok/safe. Until the child is old enough to be its own advocate then this is how it needs to be at schools.

josette

Posted at 10:20 AM on March 25, 2011

My heart goes out to this family..My allergy is garlic..Live in South Louisiana and anywhere in the world you go out to eat garlic is in everything..I have to take medicine all the time..Even when a co-worker is heating food with garlic my eyes burn & I feel sick..My daughter now adult as allergies too.. You learn to live different..Son & grandson allergies or craw-fish and all other shell fish..At school my grandson(was 10 now 12) won’t eat the fish because he knows it will make his heart race..Prayers go out to the people who can’t respect people with allergies..

Tina

Posted at 9:41 AM on March 25, 2011

OMG! Seriously? This is not something to be mad about. If it was their child that had the allergy they would think different. Is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the only thing they could eat?! There are so many other food that will keep them from “starving”.

lilpeanut

Posted at 3:11 PM on April 26, 2011

I agree! There is a law that says that people have the right to go to school and there is no one thatcan stoop her

Betan Testravosky

Posted at 1:00 AM on March 25, 2011

If the allergy is that extreme (it really is NOT a disability that is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act … people seem to be just tossing that out there and it doesn’t apply if people actually read the Act) … why does her parent insist in putting her life in danger? This is a parent who is out to “prove” something, force an issue, and ultimately play Russian Roulette with the girl’s life. I think her parents are total idiots! I’d never risk my child’s life in such a reckless manner! The poor little girl! And the big question is – will the school continue to do this until she graduates from high school? And what about college? No college is going to ban peanuts on campus – they just won’t admit her or make her wear a bio-hazard suit.

Shannon

Posted at 9:02 PM on March 24, 2011

Honestly I am very surprised that the parents of this child would want her going to a regular school if her allergy is so terribly life-threatening. It’s a risk I don’t think I’d be willing to take. One of these days something is going to get missed or a child may have some peanut residue on them causing an reaction in the little girl and the school is going to get sued by her parents because the school “didn’t do enough to prevent it”.

One thing I do wonder about, however, is what the parents of the allergic child does when they go shopping or dining out? I mean, she can’t ask every person in a store to wash their hands and rinse out their mouths or stay back if they happened to have had been somewhere that may have exposed them to peanuts.

I’m sure she doesn’t keep the child closed up in the house all the time so how does she handle regular every day outings?

With so many kids being allergic to so much these days I’m surprised that there isn’t a school just for kids that have all kinds of allergies.

Amy Bowders

Posted at 11:51 PM on March 24, 2011

Shannon: you sound like someone out of the 1950 mental institution craze.

The idea that if you are different you shouldn’t be go to a school like everyone else is ridiculous. I PRAY YOU NEVER HAVE A CHILD WITH ANY ISSUES BECAUSE YOU DONT SEE THE HARM IN OSTRACIZING AN INNOCENT CHILD!!!

Danielle

Posted at 5:15 PM on March 24, 2011

i think its dirty for ne1 to be mad over it considering if it was there kid they would want the same .. grow up

Amy Bowders

Posted at 4:56 PM on March 24, 2011

While it maybe taking 30 minutes away from these children’s education. It may only take one second and one touch with a peanut allergy to forever change that poor child’s life. Peanut allergy’s are often times on of the worst allergy’s to have and easily comparable to a bee allergy. The parents of the other students should be ashamed for isolating this poor little girl and allowing her to feel alone (more so than I’m sure she already does). The young girl has no choice in the matter. It’s adult bulling a child they might as well just say “SHAME ON YOU FOR HAVING AND ALLERGY!” Learn to fight your battles selfish people what if that was your child.

Black Beauty

Posted at 2:25 PM on March 24, 2011

The parents that are complaining need to cut it out because if the shoe was on the other foot they would want the school district to do the same for their child.