Chris Brown Mans Up On BET: I Apologize For My ‘GMA’ Outburst — See Video!

Thu, March 24, 2011 6:12pm EDT by 86 Comments

Good for you, Chris — taking responsibility for losing your temper because you felt blindsided by questions about your assault on Rihanna. But ABC News says you should have known what was coming.

Chris Brown is disappointed in himself for going on a rampage after his Good Morning America interview with Robin Roberts. But he stills says the incident that ended with a cooler smashing a window at GMA‘s Times Square building was not all his fault.

“I want to apologize to anybody who was startled in the office, or anybody who was offended or really looked, and [was] disappointed at my actions,” Chris said in a rambling commentary as a music track played behind him on BET’s 106 & Park on March 23. “Because I’m disappointed in the way I acted.”

Chris reminded his fans that no one was hurt in his rampage, which included him storming in the street after ripping off his shirt. “Yes, I got very emotional,” he said. “And I apologize for acting like that.”

He said he had to”release the anger I had inside of me” after Robin asked him about the 2009 attack on Rihanna and not only about his new album, F.A.M.E.

ABC News says there were no pre-conditions for the March 22 interview. And Robin said he knew that Rihanna would be part of their chat.

“Any time we have a guest here on the program, we let them know ahead of time the subject matter, the topics that we’re going to discuss and we, even right before the interview, I said that to Chris and I was shocked like everybody else was,” she told her GMA audience, adding that the show would gladly welcome him back.

“We appreciate that he apologized to our staff, because they were shaken,” Robin said on the air after viewing his BET apology. “It’s time to move on and we wish him the absolutely best…This, too, shall pass.”

But Chris said on BET he had a bit of a different take on the whole mess: “I felt like, ‘OK, they told us this just so they can get us on the show so they can exploit me.’ You know, that’s what I thought. I kind of took it very, very hard. And I kept my composure throughout the interview, although you could see me upset, you know. I kept my composure and did my performances, and when I got back, I just let off, like, steam in the back.”

Chris says he went on GMA to promote the release of F.A.M.E. His outburst hasn’t hurt sales, with as many as 300,000 copies expected to be sold this week.

Chris Brown: Did He Smash Window At ‘GMA’ After Questions On Rihanna Assault? Exclusive Pics

Chris Brown’s ‘F.A.M.E.’ Sales Soar After His ‘GMA’ Rampage!

terry mooney

Posted at 6:53 PM on March 25, 2011

His actions in destroying private property and endangering people on the street with falling glass is a clear cut violation of his probation and he should be arrested the moment he returns to california, which is what would happen to you or I if we did the same thing…Everything else is irrelevant…He was given a break by the judge and he blew it…Case closed! (ABC is gutless for not pressing charges)

Dan

Posted at 6:35 PM on March 25, 2011

Never even heard of chris brown until this ! Crawl back under the rock you came from !

dave

Posted at 6:30 PM on March 25, 2011

i won’t do it again, UNTIL NEXT TIME,talentless thug!!!!!!

angel

Posted at 6:27 PM on March 25, 2011

how dare ppl have the nerve to judge chris brown and then let charlie sheen off the hook! ARE U KIDDING ME! if chris brown is old enough to know better then charlie sheen is Definitely old enough to know better

dave

Posted at 6:31 PM on March 25, 2011

charlie sheen is very funny and oh yes,he makes alot more money than that talenless punk!!!

E-NUF

Posted at 6:18 PM on March 25, 2011

SOUNDS LIKE A CHARLIE SHEEN REPORT.

Brown is not sorry for his behavior. Only for getting jumped by so many people that already did not like him.

He does not need a photo op. He needs a shrink before his next rant and he hurts someone.

Robyn

Posted at 5:08 PM on March 25, 2011

Guess what Chris? Who even cares to hear your apology? You are so yesterday’s news, and one of the biggest babies on the planet. Waaaaah …. they asked me a tough question ……. waaaaah …. ima gonna get mad! Grow up. And by the way, who are you anyway?

joan richardson

Posted at 4:35 PM on March 25, 2011

Chris Brown is out of control. He acts like an idiot. What a disgusting person!!

Denise

Posted at 4:05 PM on March 25, 2011

I think Chris Brown need to be in anger mangement.You never know what will set him off!!

nacgirl

Posted at 3:11 PM on March 25, 2011

When celebrities act a fool like this they should be boycotted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reason they act crazy like this is because they suffer no consequences. It is obvious he has some mental issues because sane people don”t just go off like that………..he beat the hell out of Rhianna but he cannot stand to be reminded of it? What kind of s**t is that, just proves you can take the n***er out of the ghetto but you can”t take the ghetto out of the n***er. DON”T BUY ANYTHING HE PUTS OUT UNTIL HE ACTS BETTER
ROBIN ROBERTS WAS DOING HER JOB, IF THE PRESIDENT CAN BE QUESTIONED ABOUT HIS PAST WHY SHOULDN’T CHRIS BROWN?

Dan

Posted at 3:25 PM on March 25, 2011

exactly. he should have been brought up on charges. he’s a little too old to be acting like a spoiled brat.

Pat G.

Posted at 3:04 PM on March 25, 2011

I’ve seen alot of people not wanting to take the situation at face value for what it was…an ambush. I’ve worked with abused women for over 20 years, and many of their abusers have never taken responsibility for their actions, nor successfully completed a course to learn the proper way to handle their relationships. Chris Brown did that, and is trying very hard to move on with his life. He was even commended by the Judge in court on his exemplary manner in both taking and completing the course. The Bible has this to offer…JUDGE NOT LEST THY BE JUDGED. Let Chris Brown get back to a somewhat normal life. He’s worked for it..let him enjoy it.

HowAreSoManySoDumb

Posted at 4:30 PM on March 25, 2011

Are you serious? An ambush? How is it an ambush when he is TOLD AHEAD OF TIME the subject would be discussed? Not to mention, he’s in the public eye and his life is subject to scrutiny so he should have very well anticipated the subject would be discussed. Yeah, he’s trying to move on, but that doesn’t mean people are just going to forget what he did because he wants them to. He has to live that reputation down by not doing irrational stunts that further show his psychotic anger. I don’t know how on Earth you could rationalize this behavior in any way, especially citing having worked with battered women for 20 years. Sounds like “enabling” to me. If he was trying to move on and get back to a somewhat normal life, he should have acted like a somewhat normal human being and answered the question without going insane.

E-NUF

Posted at 6:23 PM on March 25, 2011

PAT G…………B.S. Peter Pan needs to grow up.

Pat G.

Posted at 2:56 PM on March 25, 2011

To me this is a classic example of media exploitation. Once Chris stated that he did not want to discuss Rihanna; Robin Roberts should not have kept going after that topic for discussion. It made me feel that GMA is no more than another version of the tabloids. Get the trash story at any cost, and then justify your tactics if it goes bad. If anyone should be blamed it should be Robin Roberts of GMA.

BJY

Posted at 2:52 PM on March 25, 2011

AT 60 yrs old I would’t know Chris Brown from Charlie Brown.
However, I do know a bad interviewer when I see one.
I don’t watch GMA, honestly, I just happen catch that interview with Chris Brown. I have to say, after the first question, Robin should have left it alone. She goated him a few more times. I would have been upset too.
If that’s all she had, she needs to go back to “how to interview 101″. shame on her– were is her apology?
Chris apolozied for his actions after, Robin needs to also.
after all-her actions caused his reaction. own up Robin

Deborah W.

Posted at 10:52 AM on March 25, 2011

I feel everyone should leave Chris alone and move on –I no longer like to watch Robin on GMA anymore and hated to see what she did to Chris in front of millions –he was there to promote his music not his past-I think I would have exploded also after what she did –I wasn’t a big fan of his before this but I’m going to go out and buy his music just to support him and let him know others will let him move on with his life !! Rhinna should speak out and tell the whole truth about their relationship and how jealous she was in that relationship –yes NO man should ever hit a woman but she has let him take the rap for everything when she also had issues–I think he has been a gentleman in not talking about her and letting everything fall on his shoulders–let the poor man get on with his life and don’t destroy his future !!

DMR

Posted at 10:46 AM on March 25, 2011

He is, and always has been, trash!

Ker

Posted at 9:20 AM on March 25, 2011

He needs to get a handle on himself. It is his responsibility to control his behavior, not everyone else’s responsibility to tip toe around him so they don’t ” make him mad”. He should be in jail for what he did to Rhianna. He is NOT past it. He has NOT changed. The Abc interview shows that. Brown went on that show to promote his music. The price for that national publicity is answering questions that the public is interested in hearing. and yes, people want to know whether he has matured and is no longer explosive. Clearly he still has a huge problem. This is not a joke. He’s a young man, presumably he will have kids someday. what happens when his kid wets the bed or his pants one too many times and Daddy gets enraged? Kids get beaten to death for that by people with explosive anger problems. Chris, forget the music, working on being the man you need to be, the man you deserve to be, the man your family, friends and society need you to be. You could have seriously hurt someone over questions you should have been prepared for. What did you accomplish? Do you think questions of your emotional stability and propensity for violence are ended now? They just increased exponentially.

squizzee

Posted at 8:52 AM on March 25, 2011

hes a woman beating wus…

bea

Posted at 8:45 AM on March 25, 2011

PEOPLE NEED TO LEAVE CHRIS B ALONE,,THE MAN IS TRYING TO GET PAST THAT HORRIBLE ORDEAL WITH HIS X,,,AND THE LAST THING HE NEEDED IS THE “SHOW” TO BRING IT UP,,,YES HE WAS MAD AND I SURE DON’T BLAME HIM,MAYB BREAKING THE WINDOW WAS MUCH BUT FOR A MAN TO MOVE ON AS DID HIS X,AND TRYING TO PROMOTE HIS NEW ALBUM, SHE(INTERVIEWER) WAS TOTALLY OUT OF LINE,,,,THAT SHOULD NEVER BEEN ASKED,,LEAVE IT ALONE,WE ALL MAKE BIG MISTAKES AND HE ESPECIALLY HAS TO LIVE WITH HIS,,,,,DON’T LISTEN TO THE HATERS IN THIS WORLD,THERE’S ENOUGH GOING ON!!!!!,,,GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE AND LET HIM BE THE CHRIS BROWN WE ALL KNOW!!!!!,,,,AND HE HAS APOLOGIZED TO THE FANS!!!!!!!!!!!

squizzee

Posted at 8:53 AM on March 25, 2011

maybe he should come and break your window

D. Spackman

Posted at 9:28 AM on March 25, 2011

Since when is a criminal act(wife-beating)considered something to be “excused” unless it is another wife-beater who is speaking?

Joey Amposta

Posted at 5:10 PM on March 25, 2011

He is not a little boy and whether you or him want it or not, he is reponsible for his actions. He is the one who did it and he should be man enough to face the consequences; he does not need you or anybody else to enable his bad boy image.

craig

Posted at 5:51 AM on March 25, 2011

What do you think from a spoiled PUNK. I don’t know what it is with today “Stars” they act like total asses and then think they can just laugh it off. You ahve a problem boy and its called Cranialrectalitus. Your heads up your ass and you don’t know sit

Pat

Posted at 2:23 AM on March 25, 2011

In my opinion, I thought he acted rude to Robin on GMA and like he was flying high on something. He has an anger issue that he needs to stand up and be a man about. I didn’t like his new song at all. Just because he is who he is, doens’t mean he should get away with his behavior. Maybe he should be looking into a new career. Let’s put him in a boxing ring with the big mean woman that would enjoy pounding the crap out of him.

squizzee

Posted at 8:54 AM on March 25, 2011

hes a jerk

Jaymee

Posted at 9:04 PM on March 24, 2011

Chris Brown really ought to own up to the fact that he does NOT have control of his anger and rage. He gave Robin premission. It’s just a matter of time before something else causes him explode and someone is hurt again.
Get help Chris while you still can.

Ker

Posted at 9:27 AM on March 25, 2011

He doesn’t need to give Robin “permission”. He’s not a huge a list star people are clamoring to have on their shows. He needs the promotion more then they need the interview. In exchange for free publicity, he answers questions. That is how it works.
I believe he knew what questions were coming.
But even if he didn’t it is up to Chris Brown to keep Chris Brown in check, it isn’t up to Rhianna, Robin Roberts, or anyone else he bumps into during his days to be on guard not to do or say anything to ” make him mad”.
Anyone blaming Robin Roberts is siding with an abuser in a classic woman battered cycle. The abuser always claims she made me mad. The problem isn’t that he got mad, heck we all get mad. We just deal with our anger without lashing out violently.
He needs to work harder on his emotional problems then his music or someone WILL end up hurt.

Mr. BIG

Posted at 8:28 PM on March 24, 2011

WHY DO WE LOWER THE BAR FOR JACKASSES IN OUR SOCIETY? WHO CARES IF HE APOLOGIZES. THERE ARE MANY OF US OUT HERE (who are not punks) WHOSE ONLY APOLOGIES MAY BE FOR IGNORING SOMETHING OR SHOWING SOME SORT OF INCONSIDERATION. No guns, no verbal assaultS, no violence. NO NEED FOR SECOND CHANCES!

pleazzer

Posted at 8:25 PM on March 24, 2011

With everyone making excuses for this guy they will be ashamed I hope when he beats some young lady to death because he thru another temper tantrum. Wish he would try to hit me, I HIT BACK.

squizzee

Posted at 8:55 AM on March 25, 2011

how come he didnt get arrested

Stac

Posted at 10:17 AM on March 25, 2011

Because he’s better then everyone else n above the law. He’s also…..well they dont want the bad publisty…How typical a violent man getting away with another destructive rant…Isn’t that the american way, just over look it and sweep it under the carpet…..

Jen

Posted at 6:18 PM on March 24, 2011

Nope…sorry. There will always be a chance you will be asked about the past…like it or not. That does NOT give him a right to act so violently and outright immature. Suck it up, Chris…you’re a mess.

Lee

Posted at 4:21 PM on March 24, 2011

I am NOT a Chris Brown fan… like at all.. BUT she baited him…. you would have to be a pet rock not to know he was upset by it… now as far as how he chose to deal with his anger…. yeah, anger management classes I do not think so… it is just a matter of time before he does it again and hurts someone else…. not ok…..

Betty Bell

Posted at 1:07 PM on March 24, 2011

I saw the interview on Good Morning America and I thought Chris Brown answered the question asked about the incident from 2009. I tend to take offense at someone asking me the same question over and over. It’s time to let it go. The news media seems more concern than Rhianna who moved on.

yessi

Posted at 1:17 PM on March 24, 2011

Unfortunately for celebrities, we the t.v watchers are interested in not just your new album but also the juicy gossip. If noone was interested in it, t.v hosts would’nt bother asking. As for chris brown hes got good music , but a crappy personality. I personally dont think he will go much further than this.

pleazzer

Posted at 8:28 PM on March 24, 2011

Ya, god forbid some lady asked him a question he did not like and there were not cameras about.

Jay

Posted at 9:25 PM on March 24, 2011

I agree with you. First all, Robin and ABC have a serious problem setting people up. It’s like a bate and switch thing to get their ratings; unfortunately, it worked. Recently, Oprah did the same type of situation when Mike Tyson was on the show discussing the loss of his child, and then, she intercepted about Robin Givens (we all know that Robin was out for his money). Perhaps, people need to dig into the lives of these selfish, inconciderate, desperate media trolls. I bet if their laundry was aired publicly, they would think about sabotaging others.

Renee

Posted at 12:14 AM on March 25, 2011

Robin out for his money ? Even if she was (which is neither here nor there) he still beat the crap out of her, therefore making him no better than Chris.

Ker

Posted at 9:42 AM on March 25, 2011

Are you kidding me? Setting him up? This is how it works. An artist Needs national publicity for his upcoming album/movie/ tour, etc. So in exchange for performing or showing a clip on a national tv show, the artist answers a few questions. If you have no skeletons or scandals you have a light chat. If you brutally beat someone in an explosive rage where you also bit them and abandoned them bleeding and wailing in the street and subsequently got only anger management classes fir what you did, yes, the public is going to want to know whether these anger management classes Fixed things or were they just lightweight bs nonsense that kept an insane abuser out of jail. So yes, if you had that experience, you will be asked about it. In all the anger classes he supposedly took, in all the handling by his managers and label execs, the issue of dealing with the publicity of this never came up? Of course it did. Chris Brown would have to be a colossal moron to be blindsided by the mild questioning of Robin Roberts.
Given the fact that the restraining order against him barring contact with Rhianna was recently lifted, of course it would come up. There was no bait and switch.

Ker

Posted at 9:32 AM on March 25, 2011

The reason he was asked the question was that he got anger management and probation in lieu of the serious prison sentence an attack of that magnitude could ( should) have warranted. People want to know whether some court ordered anger classes really fixed his problem or whether he is still a danger to others. The restraining order barring contact with the woman he brutally beat and bit was recently lifted by mutual request of the parties. So yes it was newsworthy to ask if they had seen each other.
Clearly Brown is not Past his past.

Weets

Posted at 4:34 PM on March 25, 2011

I guess the only way you can prove that someone is still fraught with anger issues and violent behavior is to incite them. I do not have those problems and if someone were goading me into getting mad, I would have just walked off the show, like any other sane human being.