Chris Brown Mans Up On BET: I Apologize For My ‘GMA’ Outburst — See Video!

Thu, March 24, 2011 6:12pm EDT by 86 Comments

Good for you, Chris — taking responsibility for losing your temper because you felt blindsided by questions about your assault on Rihanna. But ABC News says you should have known what was coming.

Chris Brown is disappointed in himself for going on a rampage after his Good Morning America interview with Robin Roberts. But he stills says the incident that ended with a cooler smashing a window at GMA‘s Times Square building was not all his fault.

“I want to apologize to anybody who was startled in the office, or anybody who was offended or really looked, and [was] disappointed at my actions,” Chris said in a rambling commentary as a music track played behind him on BET’s 106 & Park on March 23. “Because I’m disappointed in the way I acted.”

Chris reminded his fans that no one was hurt in his rampage, which included him storming in the street after ripping off his shirt. “Yes, I got very emotional,” he said. “And I apologize for acting like that.”

He said he had to”release the anger I had inside of me” after Robin asked him about the 2009 attack on Rihanna and not only about his new album, F.A.M.E.

ABC News says there were no pre-conditions for the March 22 interview. And Robin said he knew that Rihanna would be part of their chat.

“Any time we have a guest here on the program, we let them know ahead of time the subject matter, the topics that we’re going to discuss and we, even right before the interview, I said that to Chris and I was shocked like everybody else was,” she told her GMA audience, adding that the show would gladly welcome him back.

“We appreciate that he apologized to our staff, because they were shaken,” Robin said on the air after viewing his BET apology. “It’s time to move on and we wish him the absolutely best…This, too, shall pass.”

But Chris said on BET he had a bit of a different take on the whole mess: “I felt like, ‘OK, they told us this just so they can get us on the show so they can exploit me.’ You know, that’s what I thought. I kind of took it very, very hard. And I kept my composure throughout the interview, although you could see me upset, you know. I kept my composure and did my performances, and when I got back, I just let off, like, steam in the back.”

Chris says he went on GMA to promote the release of F.A.M.E. His outburst hasn’t hurt sales, with as many as 300,000 copies expected to be sold this week.

Chris Brown: Did He Smash Window At ‘GMA’ After Questions On Rihanna Assault? Exclusive Pics

Chris Brown’s ‘F.A.M.E.’ Sales Soar After His ‘GMA’ Rampage!

fame

Posted at 6:37 PM on December 16, 2011

wow this is wrong.he was there to talk about his cd why the hell did that ask him about something that happened last year ,crazy how people can stay in the past when it has nothing to do with them.rihanna has moved on chris has moved on and thw world needs to move on.i love both chris and rihanna but get of of this topic that dont ask rihanna 24/7 about this so dont ask him.

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:41 AM on March 28, 2011

No one should ask him about his personal life ! I often wonder how I would feel if my personal life was put on public display 24/7 and I don’t think I would like that good or bad !

skazy

Posted at 11:33 PM on March 27, 2011

He can’t handle F.A.M.E…he should quit.

NICOLE

Posted at 10:22 PM on March 27, 2011

THIS IS THE PROBLEM! THESE PEOPLE MALE OR FEMALE KEEP DOING AWFUL THINGS, BUT THEY THINK JUST SAYING “I’M SORRY” OR “I’M AN EMOTIONAL PERSON” MAKES IT OK. IN THE EVERYDAY WORLD OF US LITTLE PEOPLE WHO AREN’T CELEBS, WE WOULD HAVE VERY HARSH PUNISHMENTS. NOT ANOTHER INVITE TO THE SHOW FOR MORE CHANCES TO SAY I’M SORRY!

CASHMAN-WILLIAM

Posted at 7:49 PM on March 27, 2011

HE’S A SINGER?? THATS WHAT YOU CALL THAT CRAP?! LOOOOOOOSER PERSONIFIED.

Jamie Zimmer

Posted at 6:15 PM on March 27, 2011

Seems everyone posting here has forgotten that he also BIT her face

Lee

Posted at 3:42 PM on March 27, 2011

ABC Should have charged his azz-His career is done the world is sick of his immature self and RiRi better think twice and extend that restraning order once more.

Nita

Posted at 4:37 AM on March 28, 2011

Unfortunately Lee, according to the article his new album is doing very very well. The same ol cycle is being repeated here, let’s reward bad behavior which to me again translates to “any publicity is good publicity”. America loves to watch a train wreck and we’ve seen it over and over again. There are just as many if not more, posters defending him as there are posters who don’t agree with his antics. Charlie Sheen is another recent example. His “one man show” has sold out at every venue. As long as people keep making excuses for celebrities who act as if they are spoiled children who are exempt from any rules that the rest of society is expected to live by, then we’ll continue to see this kind of media coverage. If someone was going to give me a bigger paycheck for acting badly then I’d get for being a stand up Guy/Girl then I might be tempted to do the same thing. It’s a serious problem but I don’t see it going away anytime soon. I just have to do what I think is best and NOT throw my hard earned money at people who think they can do what they want and to hell with the “little” people with small minds that will continue to pay in their time and money to follow them.

Mike

Posted at 3:27 PM on March 27, 2011

Maybe someone in his camp should explain to Brown that the way he reacts to this type of questioning results in MORE of this type of questioning! This is news worthy!
As long as he can’t handle it, it will continue to be rerun…each and every interview.

bonaaa

Posted at 3:26 PM on March 27, 2011

in order to remain alluring to his punk following he has to prove his ability to abuse whomever he feels has pissed on one of the trees in his yard. just a boy in grown mans body

jaynejen

Posted at 12:17 PM on March 27, 2011

Who are you?

irenek

Posted at 11:32 PM on March 26, 2011

He has anger management issues. Obviously his anger management program was not effective. Just like Lindsay Lohan’s ineffective drug therapy program. They do it just for the certificate of completion. Somebody should whack him on the head, maybe he’ll straighten up.

Nancy

Posted at 11:02 PM on March 26, 2011

Chris Brown
Too much already man! You need help. You and Kanye are on the same list. You’re an embarrassment and I would like to know who do you think you are? Your mother must be so proud of you. No one should be acting like you are. You certainly think an awful lot of yourself, don’t you? Your apology is too late and unforgiving.

the truth

Posted at 6:34 PM on March 26, 2011

people you don’t have to judge his personaality i mean if you like his music then you like him what the personality have to do with anything it is not like you have to be his wife or friend or anything if you like his music or dancing or singing then you like him that is all that matter i mean who are we to judge someone who we don’t know don’t say that his misic sucks which is don’t i mean let’s not lie here his music is really good he made all the mix tapes which should have been an album we should be thankful not judge like i said you don’t have to be his wife or anything he could care less what you are saying

irenek

Posted at 11:40 PM on March 26, 2011

If you buy a CD of a criminal thereby enriching him, then you are rewarding bad behavior. Maybe in your family that is the rule but not in mine.

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:44 AM on March 28, 2011

What makes Chris Brown a criminal ? Now we know something happened between him and Rihanna but I don’t think Brown intentionally without provocation hit Rihanna !

Brenda Bradford

Posted at 1:15 PM on March 26, 2011

Ok, that happen with Rhianna, but have you ever heard of cause and effect…..I don’t feel like he is a beater, she pushed his bottons, He was WRONG for putting his hands on her. He paid his dues for that action. Let him get his life on the right track. Just maybe Robin did not inform him of the line of questions….that would upset anyone…he was on the show to discuss FAME, not Rhianna… I am sure he wish that night never happened. Each of us have done something we wish we could take back I’m sure…. Just don’t be so fast to judge without complete information.

Nancy

Posted at 11:05 PM on March 26, 2011

Brenda,
Before the interview, everything they were to talk about was cleared by Chris Brown. So he knew that the Rhianna thing would be brought up. He’s a baby, he thinks way too much of himself and he’s another Kanye West. He needs a good talking to from his mother and to sit on the ‘timeout’ chair in the corner!

Mike

Posted at 3:24 PM on March 27, 2011

Sorry, but if you had read the article, you would see that he WAS informed of the content of questioning before the interview. Right after this incident, Robin herself mentioned that Chris knew the line of questioning that was coming.

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:45 AM on March 28, 2011

True ! Most people judge and criticize someone like Brown as if they are saints ! We all have our ups and downs but unlike Brown, our lives aren’t on public display !

ellen

Posted at 12:22 PM on March 26, 2011

Yeah, I’d apologize too if it looked like I might go to jail. He didn’t just lose his temper. He committed a crime by destroying property and he did so recklessly by breaking a window and caused glass to fall on the sidewalk outside. Yeah. “Sorry”. That’ll do it. Personally, I thought he did the whole thing to take the attention of the lame new song he presented on GMA. With all that technical changing of his voice it could have been a frog singing. Then again, I guess it was.

kari

Posted at 1:32 AM on March 26, 2011

I suppose when Chris beat the crap out of Rhianna that he was just “blowing off steam”. This dude is dangerous & scary. And still continues to blame other people for his actions even while he is “apologizing”. He has shown the world his true colors. He acts like a spoiled 4 yr old in a grown up body.

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:48 AM on March 28, 2011

Well Kari Chris Brown according to racist fearful America is suppose to be scary ! After all he is a Black male and as such America is hardwired consciously to fear Black men !

We have White rock stars who are off the charts with their behavior as well ! Like Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee but that gets squashed because he’s White !

ed

Posted at 12:27 AM on March 26, 2011

Why is it that every black person who makes music is considered a “rapper”? God bless those that are so ignorant that they judge people without having the slightest notion as to what they are about…. On another note, by no means do I attempt to justify his actions. He has millions of people watching his every move and expecting him to act the way he did. However he is a human being and just like any and everybody else in the human race, he is entitled to make mistakes. I pray that he learns from them and proves all u naysayers(misery loves company) wrong. God bless

ellen

Posted at 12:24 PM on March 26, 2011

I’m human too, but I’ve managed to go through my whole life without beating up anyone, let alone someone smaller and weaker. I have yet to break a window by throwing a chair at it. Sorry. That’s NOT human. It’s animal.

irenek

Posted at 11:43 PM on March 26, 2011

That means he hasn’t arrived yet. If people don’t know you and don’t know what kind of music you’re making, then you’re not yet a STAR. A wannabe maybe.

Harry

Posted at 12:00 AM on March 26, 2011

This guy is a sorry piece of work. He needs lots of help and should drop out of the public eye until he gets it. I figure he should leave the scene for about a year, or so, and see if he can learn to grow up and manage his anger, not let it out like some spoiled little baby, which is what he is, right now.

Steve

Posted at 10:24 PM on March 25, 2011

What a complete asshole. Why wouldn’t criminal charges be filed against this guy? Duhhh . . . if I’m made, I can break things and scare and threaten people . . . Duh, because I’m a dumb shit.

kim

Posted at 9:33 PM on March 25, 2011

i think chris brown needs help, maybe anger management. if a regular citizen acted as poorly as he continually does, they would be imprisoned or institutionalized.

Msdiva

Posted at 11:57 PM on March 25, 2011

Chris Brown is not a rapper retard.. he’s a singer with a very good voice and I think someone didn’t warn him about those particular questions. Yes he needs anger management but he was 15 when he got started and now he’s 21.. so basically he had to grow up early without any real guidance because who was going to tell a 16 year old millionaire no?? So I blame his parents and his handlers for the mess he has now become!!

brian

Posted at 10:05 AM on March 26, 2011

his new album sucks

irenek

Posted at 11:35 PM on March 26, 2011

So what’s next…he’ll claim he was molested as a child by a minister and was treated badly by his family that he grew up like that. Gullible fans desperately defending their idol.

Renaye

Posted at 12:07 AM on March 27, 2011

So many are caught up on the lives of others and our lives are falling apart. True chris did what he did and he paid for what he did. He shouldn’ve touch her he should have just left the situation. He is human he made a mistake. I wonder if you made a mistake would you like what you did dragged through the mud, and what does being molested have to do what happened on GMA. I guess your life is so boring that you have to live your life on the words of other SMH

K8sMum

Posted at 3:00 AM on March 27, 2011

the molestation comment was sarcasm, i believe. he lives in the public eye, loves the attention when it benefits him. truth is he beat on a woman, badly.

btw: you life must be every bit as boring as the rest of us here…

bonaaa

Posted at 3:29 PM on March 27, 2011

no, he is just a retard

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:49 AM on March 28, 2011

And that’s the issues with Brown, Lohan and others like them ! America and Hollywood makes these kids millionaires before they are old enough to drive a car and with that comes an attitude that I can do what I want and those around them will look the other way !

It’s been going on for years !

ec

Posted at 8:40 PM on March 25, 2011

why do they call this thug a singer. He can’t sing…
His rap does not constitute music. It’s loud crude obscene jungle grunting and noise.

DG

Posted at 11:32 AM on March 26, 2011

He should go away and never come back. You or I broke a window with glass streaming down to the street below while people are walking we surely would be arrested and rightly so. So Chris go away.

Renaye

Posted at 12:08 AM on March 27, 2011

He is not a rapper man who are you listening too that you think that he’s a rapper

liza

Posted at 8:02 PM on March 25, 2011

I think the reporter was rude in the manner that she kept pestering him with the same question. I don’t think he’s right in any way but is strange cuss Rihanna seems to be singing about how she likes to get whip and chained up.

Nancy

Posted at 11:12 PM on March 26, 2011

Liza,
If you put yourself in the ‘public eye’, then you should behave like a good boy once you step out of your house. No guy should EVER do that to a woman, that’s wrong and he needs to face the music. Robin on GMA had the ‘OK’ from Chris Brown to bring up Rihanna, he knew it was coming, so there’s no excuse for his actions other than he’s a jerk, (putting it nicely) and he needs to be spanked by his ‘mommy’. He thinks he should be able to get away with anything.

M. Alexander

Posted at 2:53 AM on March 28, 2011

Speaking as a male, I can tell you first hand that I’ve dated women who push my buttons but unlike Brown I didn’t attack them ! Sometimes women can push a guy’s button and some people will react in situations like that !

It’s unfortunate but it does happen ! I don’t think Brown is a woman beater in the traditional sense but I think Rihanna pushed his buttons and he lost control ! Doesn’t make it right but it does happen unfortunately !

By the same token, Rihanna isn’t an angel either ! From what I’ve read about her, she’s hands on in a relationship !

kris

Posted at 7:14 PM on March 25, 2011

exploited…oh please… ilove when people say they were exploited… i wonder if Rihanna felt exploited after you beat the crqap out of her… oh, she must have exploited YOU… sure..