Kirstin At 'Idol:' Paul Rocked It, But Paled In Comparison To Adam Lambert!

Thu, March 24, 2011 2:16am EST by 29 Comments

The American Idol top 11 had one of the best weeks in the show’s history…but I couldn’t help but compare some of the contestants to those in years past!

Watching American Idol in the live studio audience March 23 was a special experience. Each of the top 11 contestants brought the goods with their Motown-inspired performances. Honestly, there wasn’t one train wreck performance out of the bunch…it’s going to be hard to see someone go tomorrow night. That said, Paul McDonald and Stefano Langone chose songs that had been sung by fan favorites (Adam Lambert and David Cook, respectively) in previous years. How do YOU think they compared to their memorable predecessors?

Singing “Hello,” Stefano has his first less-than-stellar performance in weeks. I love Stefano, but he was easily the weakest contestant of the night. I would take David’s rendition of the Motown classic any day.

On the other hand, Paul was a fan favorite of the night and brought the house down with The Miracles’ “The Tracks of My Tears.” All three judges raved about his performance, but I couldn’t help but compare it to Adam’s version from two seasons ago. After re-watching both renditions, I was struck by how much more Adam felt the emotion of the song than Paul did. Paul sounded fantastic, but Adam got the point cross. He touched me. (And Smokey Robinson gave him a standing ovation!)

After the show, we asked Paul and Stefano if they were aware they had chosen songs with histories on Idol and they both said they were unaware when they picked their solos. Paul said he’s clueless about anything Idol and is still learning more and more every week.

Who was YOUR favorite performance of the night? What did you think of Paul’s song? Sound off below!

‘American Idol’ Top 13 Revealed! Vote: Did Your Favorites Make The Cut?

Black Eyed Peas Share Their Baby Pics On American Idol! So Funny!

‘American Idol’ Favorite Pia Toscano Lets Loose & Parties With Her Dog! Exclusive Pics!

Loading video...

Loading video...

Rug Cleaning

Posted at 1:17 PM on March 5, 2014

Amazing! Its inn fact amazing post, I have goot much clear
idea on the topic of from this post.

Minerva

Posted at 4:43 PM on December 1, 2013

Yes! Finally something about Business electricity rates.

business gas electricity

Posted at 7:41 PM on November 29, 2013

I am not certain where you’re getting your information, however good topic.
I needs to spend some time learning more or figuring out more.
Thank you for magnificent info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

glamity58

Posted at 12:48 AM on March 25, 2011

Kirsten, you really thought Paul’s performance was fantastic? Even with the wrong words? I would never compare him to Lambert because no one is in Lambert’s league when it comes to “live” performances. But Paul is very weak vocally. I am rooting for a girl this year like Pia or Elaina (the country girl). I don’t like country, but she can sing well in other genres.

ambella

Posted at 6:44 PM on March 24, 2011

Adam being the true professional that he is knew how to interpret the song exactly the way Smokey intended it to be. The lyrics does not lend itself to a upbeat tempo. Paul’s version is awful and lacked any feeling. I was astounded by the fact that Randy liked it and did not call him out on that. But for me the judges this year has brought down the level of the show in their intent to paint this season as the best ever

Judy

Posted at 8:29 PM on March 25, 2011

@ambella…. Have to agree with you that the judges think everyone is absoluately wonderful. I kind of miss Simon. There has to be a judge who is honest and offers some criticism.

Meme

Posted at 6:08 PM on March 24, 2011

Both Adam and David connected with the audience with raw emotion in their faces. Paul and Stefano could draw some experience from watching their predecessors’ performances of songs they want to do.

Pam

Posted at 5:02 PM on March 24, 2011

I’m kind of hoping that James finds himself in the bottom 3 at some point for a humility check. I was a fan in the beginning and still think his voice is one of the best, but there’s confidence and there’s arrogance and he’s crossed that line for me. I understand that he probably had a rough road in school and getting people to give him a chance early on, and I applaud him for overcoming that. But it’s time to rein in the ego. Part of the reason someone like Adam Lambert is a superstar is that he doesn’t think of himself as one. It would be nice to see James tone that part down a bit.

idolFAN

Posted at 1:03 PM on March 25, 2011

I’m with you regarding James and his ego. He got a bit carried away this week after singing his song. He’d better watch it because America can turn on these contestants in the blink of an eye…as witnessed last night with Casey.

Judy

Posted at 8:25 PM on March 25, 2011

@Pam. I never liked Durbin from the beginning because he seems to think he is the next rock star. Imagine asking if he could sing with Tyler in the finale??? He is very cocky and that turns me off when I seem he sing and like he thinks he owns the stage and has charisma. You’re right, Adam is the superstar.
I’m glad you posted your comment.

Belle

Posted at 3:04 PM on March 24, 2011

Adam’s video won’t play for me,( embedding disabled by owner) but no matter, i’ve heard it many times. I adore his version of this song and love the way he put his heart and soul into it, a point that somehow i think Paul missed. Paul’s performance was good but Adam’s was outstanding!!

Lilly

Posted at 1:26 PM on March 24, 2011

Nobody can sing like the glamrocker, so Paul was at a disadvantage to begin with. But his smiling through, what should have been a sad and emotional song just took it down several notches. Not getting this guy at all.

idolFAN

Posted at 1:04 PM on March 25, 2011

I don’t think Paul can NOT smile. It seems like he’s so used to charming everyone with his smile to make up for his lack of (singing) ability.

Laura

Posted at 1:21 PM on March 24, 2011

Cook’s version of Hello was miles better! While I’m not really a fan of Lambert, his version was definitely etter!

simonsays

Posted at 1:14 PM on March 24, 2011

Oh, and I think Haley, Thia, and Stefano will probably by in the bottom three this week. As for favorites for this week…Jacob, Casey, and James.

simonsays

Posted at 1:12 PM on March 24, 2011

There is no comparison between Adam Lambert and Paul doing that song, imho. Adam knocked it out of the park! Paul was fine, but not nearly as good as Adam.

Janette Cross

Posted at 12:08 PM on March 24, 2011

I can’t believe Paul chose this song w/o knowing Adam did it. It’s called look it up on the internet (Tracks of My Tears – American Idol). Sorry to say this, but when Paul sang this, I thought he sounded like he was at karaoke night and did good enough for the crowd to clap with him, but there was no emotion. Adam’s version moved me to tears, which is beyond difficult with music (only other times – Purple Rain by Prince, Adam’s performance of If I Can’t Have You, and his own song Whataya Want From Me (Acoustic)). That’s not even the worst part, he messed up the words. It goes, “My smile is my makeup I wear since my breakup with you,” not, “My smile is my makeup I wear on my fake/break??? up with you”! That made me go over the edge.

nanlu

Posted at 12:04 PM on March 24, 2011

What a show////////Adams song was better but i love Paul too. maybe Thia tonite….soooo hard to pick…….the men are better all around ,but sure fun to watch this group…..

Sonya

Posted at 11:31 AM on March 24, 2011

No one can ever compare to Adam,he’s best of the best,there will never be another Adam!Paul, just can’t cut it not even close,Adam showed so much emotion and meaning during his performance.He is simply amazing and brilliant performer! Glamberts love and adore you Adam! You will always be #111!

Janet

Posted at 10:32 AM on March 24, 2011

No comparison, Adam Lamberts version was so moving, you just felt the emotion right through yur body, I’d love Adam to record that song. Any song Adam did was perfect, as far as I’m concerned he’s the best singer that American Idol had on their stage. I’ve tried to get into the show, but it’s never been the same since Adam was on. Got to say I’m getting a little tired of the comparions, doesn’t happen with any other Idol alumni, Adam is in a league of his own, he’ll be in the same category as Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson, the superstar of this time, most other countries know that, too bad the U.S. can’t appreciat him more.

Amy

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 24, 2011

I’m not an Adam fan, but I have to say I like his version better.

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 9:30 AM on March 24, 2011

I just cant believe that they had “no clue”..Im sorry! When I m on Idol I check out the other seasons and the sucesses for shure to see which way I hit….
These two goys didn t know that their songs were sung before (VERY sucessfull!!!) and James Durbin NEVER heard about Adam Lambert?
Sorry people..I dont buy that!
Why dont they just admit the reserch????Its totally ok!Its what everybody suposed to do!

2centsally

Posted at 8:16 AM on March 24, 2011

I liked Paul’s version, but it was hard not to compare it to Adam’s performance from season 8, which was stellar. Paul flubbed some lines and was not as connected, but it was his own sound.

I thought Naima did a great job. I am also coming around to Lauren, she is better than I initially thought. Scotty is ready for country, I can’t imagine him not succeeding whether he wins or not.

James still seems awkward, hard to actually watch him but he has a very nice voice. Casey, Pia, Stefano, Jacob…I am so over them.

Haley or Thia will go I think.

kittykat

Posted at 7:46 AM on March 24, 2011

my fave performance was Jacob followed by Naima and James.Paul did a pretty good job on TOMT’S. I think Stefano will hit the road today.Adam’s version of TOMT’S blows me away.

LJ

Posted at 6:40 AM on March 24, 2011

I watched both videos. Paul got off tune a couple of times but his performance was good. He reminds me of Rod Stewart. Adam sang his beautifully. What an incredible range on that guy. Hands down I would give this one to Adam.

jason

Posted at 2:43 AM on March 24, 2011

Kirstin, seriously, I’m wondering why you’re even still with HL (and not fired).

You have linguistic skills…you can write coherently. Doesn’t that put you at odds with your fellow co-workers?

I read the Victoria Justice article and someone at HL thinks “per se” is spelled “per SAY”.

You’re probably on Bonnie’s sh&t list by now. Start misspelling and using the English language INCORRECTLY if you want to keep your job.

LJ

Posted at 6:38 AM on March 24, 2011

LOL!!!

Anne

Posted at 10:01 AM on March 24, 2011

Jason. That was cruel to say. She is doing her job and doing it well. No one is perfect. Please remember that.

youtroll

Posted at 1:03 PM on March 24, 2011

‘jason’ (who is clearly a girl) – You seem to have a major axe to grind. Every comment you make on this site is negative. You either work for another site (aka a competitor) or you have all the time in the world to TROLL this site because you’re unemployed. Either way, it’s so obvious to anyone reading your comments that you’re threatened. Additionally, you’re making a fool of yourself by coming back time and time again. If you so dislike what you’re reading, QUIT READING.