'Sister Wives' Recap — The Browns Freaked Over Polygamy Investigation & Reveal Kody's Dad A Polygamist Too!

Sun, March 20, 2011 10:54pm EDT by 13 Comments

And no0t only that! Kody’s dad actually married to Janelle( his second wife’s) mom! Is that weird or what?

The premiere of Sister Wives, however dividing, was great in that it finally began to show the social, and possibly legal, repercussions of the Brown family lifestyle. This week however, the biggest story came from the introduction of Kody‘s family — and his amazing two moms.

Well, more one mom. His father has two wives, but Kody only grew up with one mother and his father married his second wife later in life. Oh, and that new wife was Janelle‘s mother, who he met through Kody. Kind of creepy and sweet at the same time.

The family heading to see Kody’s family in Wyoming was filled with scores of PG hijinks. Car trouble! Bathroom breaks! Endless delays! The clan did finally make it, just in time to paint the house and do something with cattle ( or was it cows?) on a ranch. I kept getting distracted over the fact that it seemed to be getting dark after just a few hours of sunlight.

It was here we met Kody’s mom and Janelle’s mom, both married to the same man and the first two women who have given a intelligent and comprehensible explanation of being a woman and a polygamist.

Kody’s mother explains that she did not care for Janelle’s mother when she became part of the family. She was incredibly jealous, specifically over the fact that she was educated. Now however, she claims her as one of her very best friends, and it is clear the two have a relationship that must be incredibly beneficial as one grows older in life. As Robyn points out, the two will likely outlive their husband, and how nice that they have one another.

Also of note in this episode was Kody and Meri‘s admission that in their family, it was the mother that pushed for the conversion into a polygamist faith. Furthermore, Janelle’s mother made the same choice for herself, as did Robyn. The idea of multiple wives seems so physically driven in many ways that it is intriguing to see so many women choosing this lifestyle. There is of course the question of free will in many cases, but that in no way seems to be the case here.

Sadly, we must leave these two remarkable moms for some cliff climbing (please do not try this at home) and the journey back to Utah. Let’s hope TLC continues to give us more educational episodes like this.

On a side note, it is incredibly off putting to watch this episode which aired at the same time as the series final of HBO’s Big Love and see what had just happened to the man of that house.

So HollywoodLifers, what did you think of the new episode?

skye

Posted at 1:43 PM on August 9, 2011

You guys are iddiots. Kory is only leggaly married to one woman. The other marriges are purly spirtual ones. Multiple spirtual marriges are not illegal. Its not our job to judge the lives of others.they are not harming anyone. Their children get education, food and shelter.

Richelle Bishop

Posted at 7:36 PM on July 13, 2011

The brown family r sick all the kid’s should b taken away from them they set a bad exsamlpe to all there kid’s by showing them it’s ok to break the law & if u do break the law run away. It’s ok for Kody to have many wife’s but the women aren’t allowed to have many husband’s Kody just want’s his cake & eat it to. It must b nice that every night he get’s to decide witch he’ll be with that night. Cody is a gross sick person & he should be put in jail for the rest of his life. Robyn ex-husband should come & get his kid’s & take them out of the sick gross envierment. All the women need punishment as well. Sick sick sick people the Brown’s.

sanjascm

Posted at 7:06 AM on July 3, 2011

If my housband told me he wanted to become poligamist… my answer would be… sure honey, that means I’m getting me a new man too! I think he would change his mind in a second…

But If they’re fine with this kind of arrangement so be it as long as they’re fine and happy I’m happy for them.

joyce

Posted at 9:02 PM on June 13, 2011

I love this show. I would not be comforatble sharing my husband but they make it work and it seems to me they have an amazing family. I love how close the family is and wish my family was as close and supportive as they are.
I wish them all the luck and i wish someone would just build them a house : )
lol
but really i think it is completely stupid that they are trying to throw cody in jail, they really are only married by the faith.
i personally wish them all the luck in the world

Lynn

Posted at 1:00 AM on October 14, 2011

I love the show, we as people tend to judge negatively anything that we know nothing about. I really feel as if Kody loves each wife equally, I do wish that the show would include more time spent with the kids, more time spent on their religion, so that maybe we could understand more. Who in the world are WE to judge anyone? Read the Bible, there were plural marriages.If this family, everyone included, can make this a happy, loving, spiritual happening, then Amen to them. The world can use more love!

wendy

Posted at 7:40 PM on June 5, 2011

Okay people, I would be the 1st woman in the world to be jealous and this would not be a life for me but they choose to live the way they do and they seem happy. If people choose this life good for them, I was a divorced single mom for 18 years and it was hard alone, these guys have each others help and support still having a separate but not separate life and I applaud them and Koty Either you are dumb to put yourself in the middle of these women or you like to be punished these ladies would rip you up if ever given a chance and reason.

mitzi

Posted at 12:23 PM on April 1, 2011

In a latest episode the newest wife Robin was feeling insecure because she doesn’t have a outside the house job. I say hog wash. She does have a job as she is on the TV show. She should be paid for being on the TV show. If she is not paid it is called slavery. No employer can accept labor with out paying for it and where I live in California it is illegal to work for free unless you volunteer at a hospital or library.

Paulie

Posted at 9:00 PM on March 23, 2011

Meri is the person who concerns me the most. She does not look happy and imo expressed the most hurt over Kody’s marriage to Robin. Someone in another thread suggested she looks as if she’s about to cry all the time–I had noticed that. I cannot believe that woman can go to bed at night knowing their husband is in bed with another woman.
The children do seem happy, the home, stable and Kody does not seem be any kind of tyrant.
I gay people can get legally married then why not these people?

Ashley

Posted at 5:01 PM on March 21, 2011

I don’t understand how a woman could share her husband. But there is a lot in this world that i don’t understand. However they are not hurting anyone. There children are educated, and seem happy. They are not forcing there children into the lifestyle. If this is how they choose to live their lives who am I to say its wrong? And for those who think this should not be on tv… Is this worse than glamorizing teen pregnancy?? I don’t think so!!! Its just different way of life and there is nothing wrong with being different. I believe that if we were all a little more open minded there would be less hate in the world. Is that not what we all want to live in a better world? I say Go Browns if that what makes you happy then your better off than most people!

rachel s.

Posted at 3:40 PM on March 21, 2011

It seems like they really like to keep it all in the family. Jenelle was married to Meri’s brother, but got divorced and married Kody, so Meri and Janelle went from be sister in laws to sister wives. Than Jenelle’s mom who was never a polygamist got married to Koty’s dad and became sister wives with Koty’s mom. So Jenelle’s kids grandmothers are sister wives. It is so weird.

Lobo

Posted at 12:11 PM on March 21, 2011

“educational episodes”?? Not so sure about that. I think this whole arrangement is sick. Too many body fluids interchanged. Then to find out that Janelles Mom is married to Kody’s dad?? Creepy, very creepy. I just don’t see anything “sweet” about this whole thing. I can only watch a few minutes, then I have to turn it. I don’t think I will watch it again. The “fun, fun, fun” they all have together seems a little contived for the camera also. What made me really turned off is when Robyn said she was tired of being “opressed”. WTH?

pcinkc

Posted at 11:56 AM on March 21, 2011

They say they want to be honest with everyone. As far as I know, they have never informed viewers that Janelle wasn’t just a friend to Kody and Meri. She was actually Meri’s sister-in-law. Married to Meri’s brother. This is something worth talking about. No????

Lobo

Posted at 12:13 PM on March 21, 2011

pcinkc I have never heard that one! They really do “keep it all in the family”, eh? Man o man.