Are 'Bachelor' Brad & Emily Maynard REALLY In Love? Expert Love Consultants Reveal The Truth!

Fri, March 18, 2011 10:09am EDT by 11 Comments

Professional matchmaker and dating coach Matt Titus and his wife, author and media personality Tamsen Fadal, give you the real inside scoop on Brad Womack and Emily Maynard. Do YOU think they’ll stay together for the long haul? Read on…

HollywoodLife.com invited guest bloggers professional matchmaker and dating coach Matt Titus and his wife — author and media personality Tamsen Fadal — to give us their inside take on The Bachelor‘s Brad Womack and Emily Maynard. Even though they’re both admittedly avid viewers of ABC’s hit reality show, neither Matt or Tamsen buy the “real life” Bachelor romance one bit!

Matt’s take:

Here are a few of my “favorite” quotes from the most recent season of The Bachelor featuring Brad Womack:

“You’re the one.“

“There are a lot of girls left but you have the ability to make me feel like I’m the only one”

“I’ve gone through so much to get to where I am today. I’ve made so many mistakes and had so many ups and downs. I always believed that when the time was right, I’d find the woman that I’ve been looking for for my entire life. I knew it would take opening up in ways I wasn’t used to…. All it took was coming here and finding you.”

Really Brad…Really?? Are you a poet? Or are you a Hallmark card writer? Please!!

As a professional matchmaker and date coach, I know a thing or two about love and relationships. This holds true in my personal life as well. I walk the walk and have been in a successful marriage for the last four years. So I can say with 100% authority that NOBODY talks like that in REAL LIFE.

Real life true love does not offer sugary sweet sound bites that lead up to the next commercial break. The so-called relationships on shows like The Bachelor are completely manufactured, with fairy tale first dates (that most men would never spend the money on or even have enough interest to plan). They are completely unrealistic. It’s ridiculous to expect an emotional connection at light speed and an absurd supposed life long commitment in a 13 episode season. Plus, this is all supposed to happen in front of a camera crew of about 15 people directing — um, I mean guiding — the romance.

Every time I see one of these “Bachelors” get down on one knee and emotionally express his love and devotion with a proposal, I shout out a primal scream at the absurdity of it all. I also get a little headache because I know that most viewers actually believe it’s all real, and then I get the calls from them demanding I find them the kind of “TRUE LOVE” they just watched on The Bachelor finale!

By the way, more than 13.8 million viewers tuned in to watch the three hour finale…

With this latest season of The Bachelor, it was more of the same, Brad Womack chose Emily Maynard as his everlasting soul mate, of course a few hours after the show aired, the rumors started about how Maynard was reportedly hooking up with an old flame, Brett J. Barniske-Bertolami behind Womack’s back.

But wait, I thought that she was madly in love with Brad? Yeah right! Gimmie a break! This relationship is doomed. Relationships fashioned by reality television have a very low track record for long-term commitment! If Womack and Maynard are already facing these issues after only a few days, what will happen in a few months, or a few years? (IF they even last until then, I should add.)

Lasting true love isn’t love at first sight that neatly fits in a one hour episode or is developed by producers, whose daily goals are setting up wildly extravagant dates. What lasts is honesty, communication, and selfless caring — and none of those things are going to be found on the set of a reality show. Sorry television viewers, it’s time to
change the channel on bad reality romance television.

Tamsen’s Take:

Listen, I think most people know that what happens on The Bachelor isn’t “real”, but we love to watch it any way, and the reason is a simple one: most real life romances aren’t well lit and totally magical. Relationships require work, they require time, and they require effort — all the things we don’t like doing!

I’m not being a girl here either, I didn’t tear up as I watched Brad choose Emily over fan favorite Chantal O’Brien. I know good television; I know what it takes to get the perfect shot. Most real life marriage proposals don’t have the gift of a second or third take, but those that take place on reality shows do…it’s all entertainment. It’s cotton candy; it’s instantly forgettable, but we love it.

Can you really take Brad and Emily’s romance seriously, when just a few episodes before, he was sucking face with a bunch of other women? Would any woman be happy if their boyfriend made out with another woman a few hours before he started kissing her? No way! But these aren’t real life women because the show isn’t real life. It’s fake, but fake is fun.

Seriously, is there anything more boring than a normal first date? Both people are so nervous. People don’t want to make a bad impression so they offer vanilla versions of who they are, never daring to be themselves for fear of ruining it!

There is no time for boring first dates on The Bachelor. You’ve gotta hit a home run every second. The usual first date in real life is meeting for coffee or grabbing a drink, but with Brad Womack on The Bachelor its scuba diving or swimming with sharks. Why, you ask?

Because it’s all planned to excite viewers and get ratings. Fans of reality tv love to watch people do heightened versions of normal activities because normal activities are normal, and normal isn’t entertaining.

Do you think showing a boring series of dates would give credibility back to The Bachelor? Nope, it would get it cancelled! So don’t expect successful reality series about dating and romance to suddenly get real about love.

And fans have nothing to worry about because ABC just announced one of this season’s Brad Womack-love-denied ladies, Ashley Herbert, will be “The Bachelorette” for it’s upcoming season. See? True love marches on…
–Matt Titus & Tamsen Fadal

Learn more about The Love Consultants at www.theloveconsultants.com!

‘Bachelor’ Brad Womack And Emily Maynard Are ALREADY Trying For Babies! Too Soon?

‘Bachelor’ Body Language: Brad Womack and Emily Maynard Are Doomed!

Ashley Hebert Gave Herself A Special Rose While Filming ‘The Bachelor!’ Exclusive!

Annette Brace

Posted at 3:18 PM on March 30, 2011

The man is almost 40 and is dating girls in their 20’s Why did the show allow that? Why did he not have women closer to his age? The show would have never done that to a Bachlorette who is almost 40 and brought a bunch of 20 something single men aboard! I find it disgusting! date your age!

Annette Brace

Posted at 3:11 PM on March 30, 2011

He is 14 years older but no one seems to bring that up! Why is it that if a woman is even 7 years older the public makes a big deal. I would have very little in common with someone that much older than me.I noticed all the girls were on the much younger than Brad age.Does he have the Peter Pan complex?

Chloe

Posted at 11:09 AM on March 22, 2011

Emily may have seem sweet that she never talked about any of the other girls, but exposure is what she is seeking. She and Brad are not a good match, they are nothing alike.
Chantal was his soul mate, i’m sorry he didn’t realize that. She was the most natural of all the girls and wasn’t afraid to show her true feelings. You made a mistake Brad.

And please that fake straw looking hair of Emily’s was such a turn off. I’m so thankful that they had done something about that awful fake color for after the final rose ceremony. Dump Emily and try to reunite with Chantal.

ChatterBox

Posted at 10:07 PM on May 27, 2012

Did you even read the article? You and I are the people this author is referring too. IT’S ALL SCRIPTED

Princess Bolton

Posted at 10:10 PM on March 18, 2011

Finally, a message that isn’t afraid to expose the madness of that show, Emily is a FAKE, the showmance is a FAKE, wake up people. Newsflash, everything on TV is ENTERTAINMENT, including the news. Forget the sappy love stories you aspire to Lisa, Brad and Emily are DOOMED to FAIL!! Great article Hollywood Life!

evelynn

Posted at 8:48 PM on March 18, 2011

R U kidding? They aren’t in love.
emily has it made with her Nascar bucks rolling in from family of the father of her baby. She isn’t going to Austin, No Way.He’s shooting for the moon. She is used to the high life of Nascar. End of story. She stays in NC and will be introduced to dozens of high rollers now that it’s WELL known she’s hot to go.She isn’t the wallflower she wants you to think she is. It’s all fake.

nikki

Posted at 2:21 PM on March 18, 2011

Agree with you, Matt and Tamsen, 100%. The show is fun to watch, but should never be taken seriously! You can’t fall in long-lasting love in la-la land…. probably the most honest words of the season were spoken by Emily on their last date. “its not all roses, you have to get up at 3am to a sick kid, you have to take her to the ER room, no relaxing on the couch when you come home from work with a beer….” and see how he reacted? He looked like he was going to blow a gasket! He had wanted to just use his flowery words (I want to be the best dad to Ricki) and that be the end of the discussion. He didn’t want reality injected….

Lisa

Posted at 2:04 PM on March 18, 2011

I feel sorry for both of you. It sounds to me like you are both miserable in your relationship and only staying together because of your careers.
I certainly do not have a lot of faith in the matchmaking process as it is always a shot in the dark, but instant connections are definitely possible. Not only that, some men do talk like a hallmark card when they are truly in love and willing to be vulnerable.
I have 11 years of proof under my belt.
My best wishes for you both and I hope you find happiness in your future.

Lisa

Posted at 2:06 PM on March 18, 2011

This comment was meant for the writers of the article.

James

Posted at 12:25 PM on March 18, 2011

Right on Sally these are just people with an opinion who always look for the Dark Side of Everything. I Don’t believe for a second Emily cares a twit about Laurel Brads X, Emily has her own past as well! What she does care about is that brad had sloppy sex with Chantal and who knows who else on the show and all her friends and family know, and how she can ignore that. Also a temper at 38 and she has a little girl, not acceptable. He’s had enough women in his life and should have known this would come back to bite him. Really, Stupid. He showed his temper again on the show when Emily trashed him and they showed the proposal video, The Boys Hopeless. If he really loves her his Best chance is to move near her and open another bar. Unlike the know-nothing writer I hope they can work it out. Anything is possible with love.

sally

Posted at 10:33 AM on March 18, 2011

Expert…please. You have been married 4 years and you think you are qualified and have all the right answers. From the way I see it, you are still on your honeymoon…You say we give you a slight headache….You are giving us a migraine