9-Year-Old Blocks Her Sister From Being Hit By A Truck—And Loses Her Leg

Thu, March 17, 2011 5:25pm EDT by 7 Comments

Anaiah Rucker took sisterly love to the next level when she saved her 5-year-old sibling from an impact that would have killed her—and loses her leg in the process.

Truly an incredible story of a brave little girl. Brave 9-year-old Anaiah Rucker and her 5-year-old sister Camry were crossing the street on a rainy morning to catch the school bus last month as a pick up truck came barrelling towards them. That’s when Anaiah pushed Camry out of the way and took the brunt of the hit—leaving her with major injuries.

“I saw the truck and I was like, ‘No!’ ” Andrea Taylor, the girls’ mother who was watching from her porch, tells ABC affiliate WSBTV of Madison, Georgia. “I seen my daughter kinda snatch my 5-year-old back, and if it wasn’t for that, my 5-year-old would have … I don’t think she would have made it.”

Anaiah nearly died from her injuries, which included two broken legs — the left leg was amputated — a broken neck, spleen damage and a lost kidney. Just heartbreaking.

“I love her more than anything,” Anaiah explains. “I pushed my sister out of the way so she wouldn’t get hit. I thought she was too young,” she adds. “She’s my sister. I love her.”

The network reports that the driver of the incident was not charged.

Yesterday, March 16, Anaiah was released from the hospital and returned home to a grand welcome by thousands of students, teachers and admirers. Amazing!

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Gigi

Posted at 11:20 PM on March 22, 2011

this girl has a lot of love because when it come to actually sacrificing your life for someone else, you never know if u willing to when the time comes.
FOR I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR U SAYS THE LORD PLANS OF GOOD AND NOT OF EVIL TO GIVE U A PERFECT FUTURE AND A HOPE. <3 hope this girl gets all of that.

me

Posted at 3:24 AM on March 21, 2011

BEAUTIFUL..JUST BEAUTIFUL… THIS LITTLE GIRL WILL FOREVER BE IN MY HEART,, I HAVE SO MUCH RESPECT AND LOVE FOR HER,, WHAT A BRAVE LITTLE SOLDIER!! GOC BLESS HER & HER FAMILY!!.. SO GLAD SHE MADE IT THROUGH!! & THE DRIVER WILL GET HIS ON JUDGEMENT DAY!!!

me

Posted at 3:25 AM on March 21, 2011

Im sorry I mean GOD BLESS HER..misspelled..shouldve read it through!!

josette

Posted at 1:18 PM on March 18, 2011

Praying for these two special people..The Driver should be charged..

matthew

Posted at 10:41 AM on March 19, 2011

GREATER LOVE THAT HE THAT WOULD LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR ANOTHER SAYS THE LORD OF HOST.

Rosa

Posted at 12:41 PM on March 18, 2011

get you leg back? As sad as this story is, but your comment is just ridiculous. Do you think her leg is just gonna grow back?

What a brave girl she is. Hopefully she will adjust to this new situation and completely recover from her major injuries!

ashley

Posted at 6:43 PM on March 17, 2011

awwwwwwww! that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet of you girl i will pray for you and that you will get your leg back bye.