Suri Cruise Still Sucks On A Pacifier — And She's Almost 5!

Wed, March 9, 2011 10:36am EDT by 11 Comments

PacificCoastNews.com

First a bottle and now this!? Tom and Katie, Suri is turning 5 next month — stop treating her like an infant!

She might strut around in heels and carry $1,750 Dolce & Gabbana bags, but Suri Cruise is still being babied by her parents, and this proves it! The 4-year-old (she turns 5 on April 18) was seen sucking on a binky in Vancouver, Canada yesterday, March 6, while out picking up some cupcakes for dad, Tom Cruise, with mommy, Katie Holmes. Is it just us, or is this ridiculous? A 5-year-old should NOT still be using a pacifier!

Opinions vary, but many experts advise to take away a pacifier when a baby is around six to 12 months-old. So Tom and Katie, you’re WAY off.

“Babies are born with very few strategies to soothe themselves, sucking being one of them,” pediatrician, Dr. Ari Brown tells HollyBaby.com. “But once a baby is 4-6 months of age, they begin to have other strategies to calm and self regulate. That’s when I recommend removing the pacifier. After that it becomes a crutch.”

But not only is it a crutch, but older toddlers who use a pacifier can eventually experience other problems — including issues with the development of their teeth and speech. “While it doesn’t have a longterm impact on the teeth unless kids are still using a binky when their permanent teeth come in around age 5, it does encourage kids to remain very oral,” Dr. Brown adds, “sticking other things in their mouths which can potentially lead to illness.” But Suri will be 5 next month! Is this affecting her dental health?

Tom and Katie, take the binky away… actually take the bottle away, too!  Not only is it bad for her, but it might affect her daily life — social skills and activities. HollyMoms, what do YOU think?

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

dd

Posted at 10:36 AM on March 8, 2011

This is sick! pacifier in this age???

Q

Posted at 11:25 AM on March 9, 2011

Im sure Suri, made her mom buy her that. just to look like a baby.( role play). My son is 4yrs & my daughter is 2yrs, They look for their old Passi & role play like there a baby again. I Laugh, B/C it’s funny to see them so big with a Passi! Suri & my kids are just using it now & then, just to show Mom.” Look mom I’m a cute baby”. Just kidding, Mom!!! So don’t worry other mom’s, cause there just playing, they Don’t really suck on a Binky, cause they Need it!

Betty Botox

Posted at 4:30 PM on March 7, 2011

This may be a Scientologist thing. Whether it is or isn’t, her braces are gonna cost a fortune in a few years. Remember Chelsea Clinton in braces? My sister was 7 before my mother finally took her Binki away. She had a beautiful face with protruding teeth. She is such a gorgeous child, it seems a shame to condemn her to teen years in braces to straighten her teeth. The parents are both bright. I am sure they know what is in store for them in years to come. It’s sad to see a child this old sucking her thumb, drinking from a baby bottle and still sucking on a pacifier.

Yo mama

Posted at 6:03 PM on March 7, 2011

I see your point…But the bink is way better for her teeth then a thumb would be…Cause you can’t take the thumb away. You never know, that may be why she has the binky? My son, does not at all have any problems with his teeth, but as I said up there the binky fairy will be coming soon as advised by his doctor. :)PEACE and LOVE

Yo mama

Posted at 1:10 PM on March 7, 2011

WOW!!!!!! People really need to get a life and I guess I should too, sense I’m here commenting? I spotted this story while checking my email and read because it applies to me. My son is four and has had two opeen heart surgeries….Also he is contantly going to the doc and guess what he still has his binky?! It is something that brings him comfort!!!!! And you know how many dirty looks I have got from people like, WHOEVER wrote this story?! MIND YOUR BIZ!!! Also, my sons doc says as long as I take it away by five, no harm done?…You just never know the circumstance?…That’s why you should NEVER judge, or push what you think on other people….But sense that’s what we are doing?…I think everybody should have had their binky a lil longer….Maybe we would live in a nicer world, with nicer people…Everyone is pissy cause they had their binky taken away too soon….Ok, NOW back to my world of things that matter..Good luck to everyone who occupies their mind with this trash on the regular……PEACE.

Mr. Slappy

Posted at 1:28 PM on March 7, 2011

Funny how after seemigly yelling and writing down a hatefull message to who ever see’s this you say PEACE? wtf

Now, I don’t think sucking the binki at that age is good. For dental health and teeth and for maturity. The child should find comfort in somthing else, just as a teddy bear she is holding in the pic. Or a blanket which will have no health affects. Can’t baby the kid all her young life.

Yo mama

Posted at 5:49 PM on March 7, 2011

Well, MR. Slappy…..There was nothing at all hateful about my comment? If that’s how you choose to take it..Then that’s your prob…. My sons doc SAID as long as the binky is taken away by the age of 5, the teeth go back to normal… Now, my lil guy will be having a visit from the binky fairy soon and using his binky for comfort will be no more, because I am aware of the HEALTH issues. But your wrong ya know, about this…She can baby that child for as long as she wants….whether it be wrong, or right? I still can’t believe I’m even here……Cause honesty I don’t care…Who has a bink and who doesn’t?…It’s the fact that we live in a society that passes judgement contantly on others….I mean can’t we all find something better to do with our time…including me at this momment?…Like loving the person next to us…or if you have no one finding someone to love and being happy with who YOU ARE…instead of THIS..whatever this is?….I have said my part. I came, I saw, and now I’m done with this silly…P.S. I think you need a binky…PEACE and LOVE!!!!!!!!!

Jack Proc

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 8, 2011

Quit trying to defend it, you stink as a mother and your kid will be the target bullying and have issues. Geez by the time hes 15 he will have more serious sucking issues.

NJmom

Posted at 3:04 PM on March 7, 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your son’s health issues. I can see how letting him have pacifier to comfort himself may be necessary. I do know children that have health issues and many hospital visits and operations tend to be nervous and I do think whatever makes them comforted should be allowed…. SURI may very well have anxiety due to flashing lights in her face from birth… so maybe she needs something to calm down and soothe herself we cant judge until we walk a mile in their designer shoes…

Yo mama

Posted at 6:05 PM on March 7, 2011

GOOD point!!! I agree!!!! You just never know… :)

Jack Proc

Posted at 11:03 AM on March 8, 2011

LoL, your kid is still sucking on a binky? You and the kid sound like duds.