Scotty McCreery: Jesus Christ Will Get Me Through 'American Idol' — EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

Fri, March 4, 2011 6:54pm EST by 35 Comments

American Idol‘s token country boy says his faith is what keeps him grounded and has supported him throughout the competition so far!

Scotty McCreery may be only 17 years old, but he’s wise beyond his years! The North Carolina-native chatted with HollywoodLife.com about his strong Christian faith and missing his friends back home. Plus, he revealed he’s not just a country singer — he actually auditioned originally with songs by John Mayer and Frank Sinatra!

Loading video...

Kirstin Benson

Haley

Posted at 10:28 PM on December 18, 2012

I love Scotty! He’s so blessed! Stay close to god my dear!!

Jordan

Posted at 12:10 AM on October 3, 2012

cool

KatieAnn

Posted at 10:23 AM on December 4, 2011

He is my dream guy! :)

JOSEPH KOWLES

Posted at 6:07 PM on September 29, 2011

I think Scotty is awesome!!!! I think he has been greatly blessed by God.I hope the best for you scotty.keep up the good work and keep close to God

CHECK

Posted at 1:45 PM on July 18, 2011

check1-2-3

mariah

Posted at 11:34 AM on May 26, 2011

omg i love love scotty he is so hottie and i am glad that he won last
night

Katie

Posted at 8:55 PM on May 18, 2011

first, to address all the haters: gtfo because this kid is more amazing than you’ll ever be. :)

I am in love with Scotty McCreery. haha ok maybe not really, but his voice melts my heart. and he is so adorable. I’m 17 and have huge plans for my future but hell I would delay all of it to marry this guy haha. I would do anything to make him sing to me all the time.

Scotty I used to live in the town next to where you’re from. So I’m mad that my parents made us move because I could’ve met you! If you are reading this which I doubt you are, just know that you’re sublime. Peace bby <3

DARREN

Posted at 6:57 AM on May 15, 2011

I have never watched a full episode of American Idol, I just happen to have the night off last week and was flipping the channels when I came across Scotty and his performance. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I had no clue he was still a teenager. He has a great voice, he has the talent, he has the ability and most important he has the faith. I will be watching this week and vote for the first time. Best of Luck Scotty.

Darren
Minnesota

MADDY

Posted at 6:22 PM on May 14, 2011

I thought for sure James was going to win, and I planned on never watching Idol again. The only one that ever made me obsessed with Idol is Scotty! I wanted to adopt him, my husband never a fan of Idol is even interested. This is the first time Idol is entertaining for the 45 plus group. The talent this year is unbelievable. GaGa and James’ metal stuff might sell but is a real turn off for America’s music. It just seems satanic and evil. Might be a reason for Scotty to shine and make it to the top three. Nothing dishonest about faith. The devil is the only one that sees good as evil…look it up!

Rich

Posted at 9:28 AM on May 14, 2011

I will no longer watch Idol after thursday’s results show. Voting based on “faith” on Idol is almost as repulsive, irresponsible and dishonest as it is in politics. Scotty doesn’t even hold a candle to James and never has. The judges are culpable in this outcome by not calling him out the way that Simon would have, and then they whine and cry at the results. I have lost all respect for all of them. “Faith” is nothing more than an emotional appeal. Let’s be honest people. We have NO eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ life. The gospels were written anonymously with the church adding the names in later, and the earliest, Mark, wasn’t even written until 65 AD. The original manuscripts have not been found and no other contemporary historians even mention him. Emotional attachment to belief, although strong, does not make it true, and emotional blackmail with threats of hell no longer work on those of us who think.

jess

Posted at 1:31 AM on May 26, 2011

You’re an idiot. he has a right to his beliefs just like you have right to yours. Nobody cares what you think. he’s still an American idol

Elle

Posted at 6:30 PM on May 26, 2011

We have more proof that Jesus existed than we do of Julius Caesar. But I guess you know where you’re going when you die. I just hope someday you realize how much God really loves you…..
Go Scotty!

niar

Posted at 3:06 AM on May 30, 2011

@ rich: are you an atheist?

Phil

Posted at 3:27 AM on May 14, 2011

Scott McCreery knows that no matter how much success he has on American Idol or in a singing career that it’s all in vain without having Jesus Christ in your life. He’s just expressing his faith. He knows that Jesus isn’t going to intervene and give him the title just because he’s a believer; what Scotty is saying is that Jesus Christ is always there for you through good and bad times when you put your trust in Him. I hope he wins, not just because he’s the most talented but for giving God the glory. Whatever the future holds for Scott McCreery, he is solid in his faith.

Kathleen

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 5, 2011

Scotty you have an amazing voice your the best on the show ,you deserve to win all here just love your voice and remember its your wonderfull voice that we all love,never mind the silly remarks about the way you hold the mike,but when your such a good singer they always look for something to crb about but Scotty your strong and your faith will support you ,love your deep voice , your lovable in every way,your loyal fans will support you the whole way through, jennifer is a doet,your my no 1and best wishes from ireland

Rich

Posted at 9:33 AM on May 14, 2011

I

Posted at 1:41 PM on May 1, 2011

Scotty is a great Country singer and he is the one who got me into country. Country music is not as boring as I thought. Jesus Christ can help you through bad and hard times and Scotty is going through stressful times, so with Scotty’s trust in him, Scotty couly most definitely win!!! God Rocks!!!!! Read your Bible!!!!

Leah Amarosa

Posted at 1:36 PM on May 1, 2011

I’m a big fan of Scotty and I’m glad his faith supports him. Many Hollywood figures are caught up in drugs and other things, but Scotty has a firm faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and will hopefully not stray from that

Alyssa

Posted at 9:45 PM on April 28, 2011

god bless u Scotty!! I think u will make it far:)! you have an amazing voice I vote for u so many times. I really want u to win ur amazing. Last night I voted over 300 times:) You deserve it. You’re the best on the show. Your voice stands out, and my sister and I love your voice. I love the deep country voice it’s cute:)! haha anyways, make it far, have fun, and remember u have fans who will support u the whole way threw(:

TRV

Posted at 1:34 PM on April 28, 2011

Scotty needs to get back to his country roots with some Don Williams, Toby Keith or Wayland Jennings. He needs to stop trying to be a screamer which the judges love but the audience does not. Why do you think the past Idol winners to really make it big were country. Scotty said he didn’t want them to change him but they are sublimally by telling him to stretch i.e. to scream like James of Jacob. That simply does not work with Scotty’s rich baritone voice.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow

Posted at 2:00 AM on April 8, 2011

Wow..Scotty is a decent Karaoke singer at best! I just read an article that said he would sell millions of records! Are you kidding me? That voice of his is so fake! He has to make those dumb faces to get his voice to sound like that. The comparisons to Josh Turner are crazy! I really hope everyone thinks this is what Nashville is! You can go out any day of the week on broadway and see better singers that Scotty…So easy to brain wash people I guess! Hence why we have some really watered down music that is on the radio!

ScottyFan!

Posted at 4:16 PM on March 19, 2011

OH MY GOD YOU DONT KNOW HOW OBSSESSED I AM WITH YOU SCOTTY! i have 38 photos on my phone i loook through them eevery day. its not a lot but there arent many on google but OH MY GOD I’M INLOVE WITH YOUR VOICE. me and my friends are soooo crazy for you. you WILL win this scotty, you’re amazing !!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Charis

Posted at 2:23 PM on March 14, 2011

i’m a HUGE fan of Scotty me and my friend go crazy every time he sings…if he dont win i’ll be sooooo mad!!!!!anyway thats my point of view.and i’m a Christian too so that makes me like him that much more,rock on Scotty!

jacquie jones

Posted at 5:36 PM on March 5, 2011

hey. guess what? i kinda sorta love you. :D

nanlu

Posted at 11:17 AM on March 5, 2011

Good for him.I like someone who is not afraid to express his faith,if that is what he believes…….he is an awesome talent and we will see him doing what he loves big time ….is there any doubt about that…..

heather

Posted at 3:47 PM on March 5, 2011

I totally agree! Good for him <3

MC

Posted at 3:37 AM on March 5, 2011

The interviewer asked him the question about his faith and he replied, so why are some people upset about that?

He just said that his faith in Jesus Christ will get him through tough times when they come up on Idol, not that Jesus Christ will let him win.

Many Idol contestants, current and previous, rely on their faith, from Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Rueben Studdard, Kris Allen, Jordin Sparks, Matt Giraud, Danny Gokey, Fantasia, Clay Aiken and many other Idol contestants have all mentioned their faith or come from religious backgrounds so what is the problem?

chester

Posted at 7:57 PM on March 4, 2011

No wonder there have been earthquakes and floods etc all over the planet…Jesus Christ was busy pandering to american idol contestants….hm

teri

Posted at 7:06 PM on March 4, 2011

how did jesus christ feel when he was being a total douche to people during hollywood week? See, I think Jesus sorta bailed on him back then.

Entrepid83

Posted at 7:40 PM on March 4, 2011

I have only recently begun to believe in God myself, but I’m confused as to what exactly offended you about him expressing his own beliefs?

idolFAN

Posted at 7:04 PM on March 4, 2011

He’s a good ole boy isn’t it? He’s so cute. I would love to hear him sing the songs he auditioned with so we could hear what he sounds like when he’s not singing country. I guess we will hear that soon enough as the competition goes on.

angelo

Posted at 4:24 AM on May 26, 2011

I’ll name all my children and grandchildren ‘Scotty’ and hope they all sing like him and be like JESUS.

marry