'American Idol' Hopeful James Durbin: I'm Not Adam Lambert 2.0! Exclusive Video

Fri, March 4, 2011 2:54pm EDT by 57 Comments

Even though James Durbin was dubbed the early Adam Lambert of this season’s American Idol, the talented musician isn’t comfortable with the comparison!

James Durbin chatted with HollywoodLife.com at the American Idol Top 13 party in Los Angeles March 3 about being a dad, bringing back metal music and why he’s not nearly as much like Adam Lambert as you might think. Watch the video!

Loading video...

Kirstin Benson

StaceyAG

Posted at 6:03 PM on March 6, 2011

I wish James the Best! I love him! Adam your my Rock God I love you more than anything! been to several concerts of yours & loved every single one! Your honest loyal to yourslef etc. & guess what? Adam did NOTHING wrong during his concerts, I respect others opinions, it’s fine, I just want to put out there that on TV he was not inappropriate whatsoever, he gets into certain songs while on stage at certain concerts, & guess what? his fans beg for it! so he gives it to them,… Straight gay whatever it doesn’t matter, the biggest double standard here is that they play rap music over & over again on the radio talking about killing with their 357 etc. so depressing I find that MUCH more harmful, Adam’s music is all bout LOVE (loving everyone) No Hate & acceptance & being SEXY, there is NOTHING wrong with that. I think in general our society as a whole is so messed up it is sad. But I also believe James had to say what he did because right away people hate on him because they think he’s trying to be like adam. so rediculous! they both have similarities with the ROCK genre & certain notes that is about it, they have different styles etc. It is very rare we get anyone who can sing Rock like that such as Adam & James,(It’s about time) But if people who are hating on him would stop it with their comments about being like adam, he probably wouldn’t have said a word. It isn’t fair to Adam or James to do so. Or to certain fans who feel the way I do. I just say I wish James the best I want him to win, He Rocks! as for Adam He has given me so much happiness in these past two years, Adam is so talented & gorgeous inside & out I don’t know anyone like him.I will cherish those memories of meeting him & being at Leno & the diff concerts I have been to.
I love you Adam! xoxox

James hugs to you, Keep being you don’t listen to the crap, cause that is all it is crap. You Rock! Hugs xoxoxoxo

staciegirlie

Posted at 9:44 PM on March 5, 2011

testing 123.

Anyway, for someone who’s not trying to be the 2.0 version of Adam, so far he picked a song Adam sang (ACIGC) and a song sang by Rob Halford who lauds Adam as the best thing to happen to music in a long time.

2 coincidences or not.

staciegirlie

Posted at 8:50 PM on March 5, 2011

James is a lie and all the glamberts who fall for this malarky disgust me. Let’s look at the facts.

James says he isn’t trying to copy or be Adam:

1. James sang Change is Going to Come (horribly)

2. James FIRST top 24 performance was a song by lead singer of Judas Priest who lauds Adam as being the best thing to happen for music in a long time. He didn’t pick Cinderella, Scorpions, Queensryche, Quiet Riot, AC/DC, Winger, Whitesnake, Skid Row, etc, etc, etc.

When will the Adam copying stop.

omg

Posted at 3:51 PM on March 5, 2011

I love Adam and James. The only similarity is that they can both reach the high notes. They’re both awesome singers, and there is room for both of them.

Karen

Posted at 10:36 AM on March 5, 2011

My nephew has aspberger’s syndrome just like James. It’s a mild form of autisim. I am in awe of the challenges I know James has faced in his life and now here he is on the AI stage, good for him! I don’t think anyone should compare contestants to anyone else, it’s not fair or accurate for all involved. I was probably Adam’s biggest fan, I blew up the phone lines voting for him. I do feel like he blew his chance at super-stardom though. He could have been bigger than Carrie Underwood, but he went down the Glam/Gay road, with inappropriate performances and now no one will invite him back. I thought he should have been one of the judges on AI, but again, he wasn’t AI Judge material after some of his performances. Very sad. I love Adam, but it’s true, you have to play the game to some extent and give the people what they want, not what you want them to have. Don’t kill me for my opinion….I hope someday Adam gets another chance and runs with it, but I doubt it. In the meantime, LOVE JAMES and hope he makes it to the top!!!

RJ

Posted at 1:05 PM on March 5, 2011

Karen – you clearly have not been following Adam’s career. He had a setback with the AMA’s but went on to do a very successful world tour (selling out almost every show), appearing on numerous shows (what do you mean he wasn’t invited back), appeared as a mentor on AI last year (did you forget? What other AI alum has done that?) which increased the ratings, and was nominated for a Grammy. He’s doing just fine and good for him. His career will continue to grow. And what’s with the “glam/gay” comment? I’m a straight, female and am very offended that you feel the need to bring up his sexuality in a negative way.

Krys

Posted at 4:00 PM on March 5, 2011

Not to mention, he’s going to be back on to perform ‘Aftermath’ in 5 days! C’mon… March 10th… HURRY UP!

-A dedicated Glambert ;)

Posted at 4:16 PM on March 5, 2011

I have been following his career and maybe she is just talking about his AMA performance but she may also be talking about the masturbation simulation or sucking off his mic in concert footage on youtube or that he simed jerking off his mic stand on the AI tour and said in his Out interview that if little girls were there that they probably didnt know what he was doing anyhow, like that makes it alright. None of that has anything to do with being glam and or gay though.
As for James I hope he goes a long way in the show as Adam did and I too can not wait for the next show. It is nice that Adam has been invited back once again.

RJ

Posted at 1:38 PM on March 6, 2011

And, what do all of those actions you listed have to do with my defense of his accomplishments against Karen saying he blew his chance at stardom? And, she said “but he went down the Glam/Gay road, with inappropriate performances” which implies that glam/gay is, first of all, one in the same, but secondly equates to being inappropriate. I’ve seen Adam in concert for idol and solo, and yes, he’s very sexual on stage even more so on his solo tour. Guess what? I like it! He’s hot! He won’t be very sexual on TV anymore so you and others who are think it’s inappropriate are safe. A lot of female performers do what he does. Does that bother you?

Anita

Posted at 7:35 PM on March 10, 2011

Karen, how sad for you. Your homophobia is truly messing with your head. You are apparently NOT an Adam Lambert fan. If you were you would know that he has a sold out world tour, successful cd’s, nominated for a Grammy this year, numerous talk show appearances, a visit back to Idol tonight, and if you haven’t noticed even Idol has his image up on the intro with all of the AI winners (Seems even AI knows when they screwed up).

Yup, I'll opt out

Posted at 11:26 AM on March 12, 2011

Hahahahha ur Funny. But mostly blind. Hahahhahahahahhaha that gave me a good laugh! Anyway I aspire to one day be as amazing as adam and as talented. Obviously not as famous because that is impossible but I hope James doesn’t win. I want Haley to. U can’t compare urself to Adam on tv and then tweet about being completely different. That’s wrong. And then u twitch when Adam is singing are intimidated but then u get all oooh and ahhh and u hug him. Point is Adam u r an amazing person and the world loves you!!! And as far as I’m concerned, the winner downtown get anything more considering they are all closed in a bubble after idol. Even Adam said so

Kari

Posted at 4:27 AM on March 5, 2011

I love James! I love how he says he’s flattered to be compared to Adam but makes it clear he is HIS OWN PERSON! He IS NOT Adam. I would HATE to be on a show and be compared to someone (who didn’t even win) from before. The only similarities between them is the high pitched scream. I just hope James doesn’t do it every week like Adam did because it did get tiring.
And it’s true, Adam did the rock/pop thing but James is going for the rock/metal thing and metal might be pretty well dead but he’s not doing full metal. He’s doing his own version and I, for one, cannot stop listening to his version of You Got Another Thing Coming! I love love love it! So if that’s metal, bring it on!
Besides, I’m pretty sure Kiss, AC/DC, Gun N Roses still have huge fanbases, both young and old. I’m sick of hearing the same few songs get sung every year on AI so I’m glad someone wants to do something different. If I hear I’ll stand By You one more time I’ll scream!

Dee

Posted at 1:12 PM on March 5, 2011

James and Adam are very different. Adam is amazing and I wish James success. As the for the “high-pitched scream”, Adam did not do it every week (think about the ballads and other songs where he hits some long great notes but were not “high-pitched screams”). And if the, uh, screams, got so tiring, week after week, as you say, how did he make it runner up?

wooosh

Posted at 3:25 AM on March 5, 2011

And he’s a good singer, but maybe not THAT good in comparison to the others. It seems like his big trick is to scream. And he does a great job at that. But when he did his song, they poured gallons of reverb (echo) and effects on his voice. I could hardly hear him. I will give him one more chance next week. Hopefully I can hear his voice.

wooosh

Posted at 3:22 AM on March 5, 2011

Yet he is definitely trying to make every one think he’s similar to Adam. Even the hair combed straight up. I mean, there is no one particular thing that is like him. But what you stand back and look at him, he makes everyone think of Adam. So yeah, he was going for that image from the start in an effort to get votes etc. And if you ask him, he will of course deny it.

Gladys

Posted at 11:28 PM on March 4, 2011

Judging from what I’m reading here, Adam has some very ugly fans. Some very cool ones, too, but the ugly acting ones must be an embarrassment to him. Adam isn’t shy with words, and I hope he sets the jerks among him straight.

BeeBee

Posted at 8:37 PM on March 4, 2011

Many Glamberts are also now Durbinators (fans of James Durbin). There is no competition here. Adam was season 8 and is now an International Star. James is a contestant on AI10. I love Adam and will be a fan always. But I have wanted a Metal singer on AI forever. I want some Guns and Roses,AC/DC, Poison, Cinderella, Meltalica etc. James can give me that. So I am a fan.

yeah right

Posted at 9:56 PM on March 4, 2011

Ew the meer though of glamberts becoming durbinators disgusts me. James will fail. The metal music has died down. No one listens to metal anymore. There are no MAJOR awards. No one knows of metal singers other then metallica. The ONLY thing that will make you famous is pop. If you DO NOT do pop YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED. It’s not false. its reality. Its buisness. And thank the lord, Adam knows how to play the buisness. Thats all the music industry is, its a game. You gotta know how to play it and James DOES NOT he can not and will not ever sing a pop song. Therefor his chances have gone from slim to none.

Chris

Posted at 7:09 PM on March 4, 2011

I’m an Adam fan but I’m embarrassed by the responses of the other Adam fans on this site. I don’t think that’s how Adam would want his fans to react.

I watched the same video that they did and I think James’ personality came through very well. The producers editing in the early rounds may have resulted in the world thinking that James was comparing himself to Adam and his choice of ACIGC was unfortunate.

I think it’s time we let James BE James and remember that Adam was not just a Rock God – Not with Mad World, Tracks of My Tears and If I Can’t Have You on AI. I’m glad Adam will be performing Aftermath next week so that we can see how very different James and Adam actually are. Whether you support him or not, Adam fans please lay off James. If you do think Adam’s up in the stratosphere (as do I) then your protest is non sequitur.

I intend to enjoy all performances with an open mind and decide who I really enjoy at a later stage. Adn I wish James every success.

simonsays

Posted at 6:53 PM on March 4, 2011

James is so likeable and I wish him well this season. I think he’s gonna do great things.

Judy

Posted at 6:30 PM on March 4, 2011

Wow! He’s a really nice guy! I guess I won’t compare him to Adam Lambert anymore….he is his own person, and wants success just as all performers do. I am an obsessive Adam Lambert fan and always will be. But it’s time that we let James Durbin have his time in the limelight…Adam would say only nice things about James. So we Adam fans should do the same!

Adam is a Rock God

Posted at 6:22 PM on March 4, 2011

Good for you James, you are who you are and you will maybe open a new pathway just as ADamtried and did. I am a diehard Adam Lambert fan, and Adam will always be number one with me, but I can appreciate a different type of rocker and style and so far I like Durbin. Some of you people really got to chill out and lose the hate and entitlement. If you really love Adam you will show love and if you don’t like someone you will shut the f up and keep it to yourself.You can’t be a real Adam fan if you are a hating!

carrie

Posted at 6:15 PM on March 4, 2011

Seriously James? You are not even close to the vocal power and control of Adam Lambert. Plus you have none of the charisma either. Lambert was always humble.

simonsays

Posted at 6:52 PM on March 4, 2011

James seems humble to me. Did we watch the same video? He praises Adam and doesn’t want Adam to think he’s riding on his coat tails. Jeez people, seriously??

Marie

Posted at 6:01 PM on March 4, 2011

The only reason that I saw this video is because I goggled Adam Lambert and this video came up. I was not searching for James. I’m a big Adam Lambert fan. Even though James himself identified himself being like Adam Lambert now he wants to distance himself from Adam. I have no hard feelings for James wish him luck and I don’t think there was anything wrong with anything he said.

champ

Posted at 5:32 PM on March 4, 2011

Wow at Lambert fans. Is there nothing going on with Adam, that you all have nothing to do but hate on a very talented young man?

Dee

Posted at 1:36 PM on March 5, 2011

Champ – it seems from this comment and your other comment that you are not an Adam fan. That’s fine. To each his/her own. I do find it unfair though that you comment on Adam fans as if we are all the same and hate James. Like James and Adam, we are all individuals too. I am an Adam fan but I wish James the best (though I prefer some others on the show over him, I have nothing against him). As for the comparison comment you had, he is being compared because of his voice. It is a compliment, nothing more. I say we leave them both alone when it comes to this comparison and let them both move forward with their careers.

Krys

Posted at 4:10 PM on March 5, 2011

It’s not an Adam Lambert fan… IT’S A GLAMBERT! XD

On a more serious note… I don’t see why Glamberts should hate in the first place. Even Adam HIMSELF explained that they shouldn’t be compared. On twitter he said that although they have a similar rock scream, they are very different stylistically.

– A dedicated Glambert ;)

RJ

Posted at 1:42 PM on March 6, 2011

Agreed Krys. And, I should have said Glambert. Honestly – I wasn’t sure everyone knew we called ourselves that. Adam’s tweet about James was great, supportive and accurate.

– A dedicated Glambert too.

staciegirlie

Posted at 9:07 PM on March 5, 2011

I could care less, Champ. As you can see, writer’s keep using Adam’s name in articles about James. When we google Adam’s name, articles such as this one pop up, smart one.

T63

Posted at 5:28 PM on March 4, 2011

I’m a huge Adam Lambert fan, but I really liked James’ answer. He’s not Adam and vice-versa, and the boy needs to establish his own identity. Aside from the fact that they can both hit that upper register when doing the rock wail, they sound and look nothing alike. It will be fun to see James do his rock thing on Idol this year.

kars

Posted at 5:26 PM on March 4, 2011

some of you have got to be hard of hearing. James literally SAID that he is NOT adam lambert. they do different styles of music. Dumbasses. you think that putting another singer down will make adam look better? if I were adam I’d be ashamed to have fans like all of you. shame on all of you.

CharliGirl

Posted at 5:24 PM on March 4, 2011

He needs to lose the cocky attitude or he isn’t going to go anywhere! He should be honored to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Adam Lambert! You have a lot to learn about humility James!!!

champ

Posted at 5:33 PM on March 4, 2011

Why should he feel honored? Adam’s time on idol is over. This is James’time.

Jackie

Posted at 1:19 PM on March 5, 2011

Champ – from this comment and your other comment, you don’t appear to be an Adam fan. That’s fine. To each, his/her own. But why attack Adam fans? I’ve never written or said anything bad about James. James should be honored simply for the voice comparison. It is meant as a compliment. That’s all, that’s it. I wish James the best of luck and yes, I am an Adam fan. Please don’t make assumptions about a whole fan base because of a few comments. As James’ fan base grows (and assuming you stay a part of it), you may understand what it feels like to be targeted. It feels bad.

T63

Posted at 5:35 PM on March 4, 2011

Actually, he did say it was flattering to be compared. I truly think he’s doing the right thing by making it clear that he’s not trying to be a carbon copy of Adam. A couple weeks ago when he mentioned Adam and then sang “A Change is Gonna Come,” which was one of Adam’s best performances of his season, I wasn’t so sure about him. I think he received a lot of negative reactions after that and is wise to make it clear that he plans to do his OWN thing. This week was the first time I heard him when I actually liked his sound, so I’m on the fence about how much I actually like his style, but it will be fun watching him.

unknown

Posted at 5:02 PM on March 4, 2011

u are so wrong James is nice and so amazing

yeah right

Posted at 9:50 PM on March 4, 2011

Did you not listen to the interview? He thinks hes the best thing since Steven Tyler.
Theres confidence and then there overconfidence which makes you seem full of it and conceded and James is at that. For him to also say, “Adam Lambert put his foot in the door, im going to put it through the door.” Is ALSO conceded when in fact James wishes he had half the talent. Just cuz you can do a scream doesnt make you a legend. Steven knows that AND adam knows that.

So James needs to shut up or he will get kicked off sooner then he already will be.

woers

Posted at 4:59 PM on March 4, 2011

DID HE SEROUSLY JUST SAY THAT?

James, your pathetic. Your not even to the point to where you can talk about Adam Lambert. Your cant even think of him. He is a ROCK GOD compared to you. You dont want to be Adam Lambert? YOU WISH you had a tenth of the talent adam has. You wont go far. wanna know why? Bcuz ur not genuine or sincere or even nice. Your so full of it.

Disgusting.

kars

Posted at 5:25 PM on March 4, 2011

katemyster

Posted at 3:26 AM on March 5, 2011

Um, no. James never said anything conceded in the interview. He never mentioned anything about him being any better than Adam OR Steven, so all the stupid ass Glamberts need to shut the fuck up and leave James alone. He’s already SAID he doesn’t want to be compared to Adam and that he’s not trying to copy him.

Oh, btw, next time you try to insult somebody, learn to distinguish your from you’re.

JK

Posted at 8:13 PM on March 5, 2011

geeez….wake up glamberts..Adam is NOT the HUGE star you are making him out to be…he’s big only in your little minds…

Only the diehards think he’s a ROCK GOD..the rest of us know what he really is…which is a past idol contestant who didn’t win…his career will be over soon.

magsmagenta

Posted at 4:49 PM on March 4, 2011

Too right he isn’t Adam Lambert, why try and find another one? we already have Adam, He did do a good job of the Judas Priest song.

Kiki

Posted at 4:34 PM on March 4, 2011

OMG, pull your camera back. I felt like he was sneezing on me! Blech. That was nasty. And good luck with bringing rock back, James. Rock has been dead for a while now and its funeral dirges are sung by Nickelback and all its clones on rock radio.

simonsays

Posted at 6:50 PM on March 4, 2011

@kiki you’re completely rude.

Lini

Posted at 3:50 PM on March 4, 2011

He’s right – he’s not Adam. There is only one Adam Lambert.

Trudy

Posted at 5:39 PM on March 4, 2011

Exactly, you said it! I watched the guys perform on Idol and I liked 2 or 3 of them and then I went back to youtube and reviewed Adam’s Whole Lotta Love in Knoxville and Nashville and that “killer” encore in Cologne, Germany and all of sudden I didn’t like this year’s Idol guys.

simonsays

Posted at 6:51 PM on March 4, 2011

and there’s only one James and he ROCKS. Love Adam too btw.

monkey

Posted at 6:57 PM on March 4, 2011

I dont like the screamer When James is singing I put my TV on mute. I also hope that he is off Idol very fast.He looks stupit was the thing between his legs.If he is on to long I wont watch the show.He is trying to be an Adam Lambert and I was glad that he didnt win. I got his CD and didnt like it so I used it has a flying saucer.

SG

Posted at 9:27 AM on March 6, 2011

This monkey really stupid!

JK