Lorena's 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: Are Lexie And Avery The New Meredith And Derek?

Fri, February 25, 2011 3:33am EDT by 38 Comments

Avery stands in line to be Lexie’s soulmate, Meredith loses her eyesight and Stark asks April on a date!

I love me some Mark Sloane. How can I not? Eric Dane‘s character is sexy, confident, and on last night’s “Not Responsible” episode of Grey’s Anatomy he said he’d be happy to take care of a special needs baby. I mean … drool. But as much as I adore Mark, Jackson Avery (Jesse Williams) has completely swooped in and stolen my heart. I am turning into a full-blown Lexie/Avery fan!

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am a Mer/Der girl all the way. I fell in love with those kids in the first episode and have been rooting for them despite any ridiculous Greenwich-bred Addison Montgomerys Shonda Rhimes has thrown in their way. (Okay there was only one, but the surprise ex-wife was a bad enough wrench in the Mer/Der-ness that it’s only appropriate I hate her).

But there’s something about Avery and Lexie (Chyler Leigh) that feels very vintage Mer/Der. When Avery gave his gorgeous-eyed speech to Lexie out in the parking lot I got chills. “You gotta be kidding me with this crap. Nobody has just one soulmate. That would make such a dumb system,” Avery said to a dangerously nostalgic Lexie. And when she asked him if he would be one of the guys waiting in line for her to vie for a chance to be her soulmate and he just locked eyes and said “Yeah, I’m in the line” — those goosebumps can’t be faked. They reminded me of the giddy I-can’t-believe-I’m-actually-this-much-of-a-mushball chills I got when Derek (Patrick Dempsey) stood in front of Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) in her kitchen and told her to be careful who she chose when she decided between him and McVet because “when I had a choice to make, I chose wrong.”

But one complaint I do have is how fast Avery and little Grey are moving. They went from “I’m throwing my hat in the ring” to “Let’s hook up in the shower” real quick. They are going to ruin it! Although if we are still making a Mer/Der comparison, Lexie’s big sis slept with her post-it hubby the first night they met.

Anyways, I’ll stop my Lexie/Avery gushing and move on to what else happened in the episode. Here are some highlights:

• Meredith’s fertility drugs to fight her hostile uterus are hurting her eyesight, and interfering with her operating skills. Do you think she’ll follow the healthy advice of stopping her fertility meds or will she give in to her heart and risk her surgical career?
  • Arizona wasn’t impressed by Mark’s “I’m a parent” rant but I was. Good for him for standing up to the other two members of the “Three Musketeers” and claiming his right to have a stronger voice than a body part
  • Owen thinks Christina will “grow out” of her decision to not have children, which is pretty condescending. It’s tough to choose a side here: Christina was honest with Hunt from the beginning, but he has a point about how his desires should be heard. Their quickie marriage fallout is starting to show.
  • I felt a teeny tiny bit bad for Arizona when she said she “somehow ended up agreeing to a lifetime with Mark” and that this was Callie’s “bi-dream come true” but it wasn’t Arizona’s dream. Do you think she might ditch Callie?
  • Dr. Stark asked April out on a date!? Because she was the first person to change his mind on something in TEN years. I mean … is this an interesting dynamic or just creepy?
  • The cystic fibrosis storyline was heartbreaking. As someone who has a good friend with CF, I know how difficult having the disease can be on a daily basis and to have someone who can totally understand you is something to cherish. But as hard as it is to let go, Lexie was right to convince the patient’s girlfriend to leave. “It always feels like there is just one person in this world to love, and then you find somebody else,” she said.
  • Speaking of tragic, the Chief’s wife exhibited more signs of Alzheimer’s. And did anyone else find Derek’s pat on the shoulder when he found out insufficient consolation for his close friend? Especially when Derek is so connected to the disease, with everything he’s gone through with Meredith AND all of his medical research/experience. I expected more.
  • Favorite line? Avery to Lexie: “You really want to be dating two girls, a guy, and a baby?”

What did YOU guys think of the episode? Spill your thoughts below!

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

bren

Posted at 9:53 PM on March 31, 2011

Lexie is still in Love with Mark and he is still in Love with her and I believe they will get back together.

LittleMo

Posted at 6:16 PM on March 1, 2011

Jackson is cute and so is Lexie but Lexie loves Mark and Mark, even though he has taken “making an ass out of himself” to new heights, loves Lexie. What Mark is doing is what ever playboy type does when it starts to sink in that he’s just met the woman who is going to catch him. But Mark and Lexie are the couple and always have been. And Shonda herself has said that Mark and Lexie are the couple. This wasn’t just a spoiler, it was an answer given by Shonda Rhimes to a direct question during an interview. She has gone on to tell Mark and Lexie fans that there will be a wait but the wait will be worth it. That is also from an interview, and that comment from the interview she posted on Twitter. I actually feel sorry for Jackson but Mark and Lexie are couple and they are the end game.

Kelly

Posted at 9:56 AM on March 1, 2011

Forget the MerDer comparisons, Lexie and Jackson are awesome together. They make sense. They sizzle together. Jackson didn’t do anything sneaky. He didn’t rat her out to Mark or stab Mark in the back. And Lexie did think it through and to me was the only one that had a realistic reaction. There is nothing immature in not being ready for somethings,for wanting to be more than an afterthought to your partner and not wanting to date a guy,two women and baby. Shonda basically tweeted that Mark and Lexie weren’t over and as much as I once loved them. I don’t want them reunited and have a feeling SR will have Lexie be the one to go back to or pursue Mark.

Student

Posted at 1:08 AM on February 28, 2011

I am not a MerDer shipper and even I can say that Avery and Lexie are nowhere near in the same universe as MerDer. Avery is sneaky. He didn’t win Lexie’s heart, he crawled his way in. He used the information Mark gave him to get Lexie to open up to him and later when he saw that Lexie was still conflicted about her feelings for Mark he put him down to make himself look better. His line about people having more than one soul mate reeked of desperation. And what is up with Lexie that she keeps jumping in the sack with men? She needs to grow up. I used to love Jackson now I cannot stand him. He’s creeping me out. Avery’s eyes are pretty but they are hollow. Derek conveys a world with a look, Avery is all looks and no substance.

Jessica

Posted at 1:42 AM on February 28, 2011

But Jackson didn’t use Mark at all. He protected the information Lexie gave him. Also him & Lexie have nothing to with Mark. They have been building up Jacksons crush on Lexie all season and he is right when he says there is more than one soulmate for everyone. He’s also right when he said “Do you really want to be dating two women a man and a bay.” Lexie did the grown up thing and walked away. Instead of staying and being miserable like AA.

Kelly

Posted at 7:45 PM on February 27, 2011

I was a die hard Mark and Lexie fan so I can’t believe I’m saying this but I hope Shonda’s tweets are wrong and that Mark/Lexie do not get back together. Jackson was right about her deserving better and she’d be married to two girls,baby and a guy. I’m so in love with Jackson and Lexie. They are amazing. They do remind me of MerDer’s early spark. But I have a feeling they will be over before they even get a chance.

Miami Fan

Posted at 9:37 AM on February 27, 2011

Avery & Lexie the new Meredith & Derek… sorry, but not by a long shot, Ellen/Patrick chemistry has always been magical. Avery is good looking, but he can’t act, not even to deliver those lives, always feels forced. There’s no way he could ever be compared with PD.

Annie

Posted at 7:07 AM on February 27, 2011

I always got the feeling that Jackson had a crush on Lexie since Season 6. I think this new pairing had been building up since then and I am loving it.

I also liked Mark and Lexie a lot, but Mark has broken Lexie’s heart twice now and over the same issue: having kids/taking on parenting roles. Lexie has been pretty up front right from the start that this is something she’s not yet ready for. Mark and Lexie have broken up twice about this issue. That should tell us all something: the baby issue is a deal breaker for Lexie.

Jackson has had moments of being jerk, yes, but he has had scenes with Lexie where you could see some indication that what they have could develop into a solid friendship or maybe something more. I remember the time he talked to Lexie after she and Mark broke up the first time and Lexie dyed her hair blonde. Jackson said it’s not about changing your hair color, the change has to come inside you. And then he encouraged Lexie to speak up about her suggestion regarding the temporary transplant when Lexie was hesitant to do so. And this scene where he cast a longing look at Lexie <> — this was in Episode 8 of the current season. Clearly, there has been something building up here for some time.

I love this new pairing of Jackson and Lexie. I used to like Mark a lot for Lexie, but the way he broke her heart twice … man, I don’t know. Mark and Lexie just aren’t on the same page right now in terms of what they want in their lives.

I also don’t see his reluctance to share with Mark the information Lexie confided in him as a bad thing. When Lexie said, “Mark is having a baby” and seemed to be on the verge of tears, you could see the expression on Jackson’s face change, as if he made a decision to protect that confidence and not subject Lexie to more hurt. And even if he had gone back to Mark with the info, what could Mark have done? Nothing, really. Marks wants the baby with Callie so badly.

Jackson’s not all that bad. It was his quick thinking that could have prevented Gary Clark from putting a bullet into Cristina’s head during the shooting (season 5 finale) when he thought about pulling the wires from the heart monitor to make it appear that Derek had flatlined. It was he who got Cristina into the OR when they were all searching for Teddy Altman who was already outside the building. He said, “We have a surgeon,” while looking at Cristina. And that’s when Cristina realized she was going to have to operate on Derek. The guy’s not that bad at all. He and Lexie could work. I hope they will be a given a chance to work.

Maddie

Posted at 3:47 AM on February 27, 2011

Really? Lexie/Jackson like MerDer. Umm…. or not. MerDer are kinda iconic in their own right. Lexie/Jackson are just… well… cute but a tad boring. It’s sweet and lovely and all that, but I don’t see them being this amazing couple that will outlive the show. Which is what MerDer will do. Or at least, that’s what most people that have been watching the show from the beginning believe. The only couple after MerDer would be Alex/Izzie. Until KH decided to leave. They’re also iconic. There’s something magical about MerDer. It’s most likely Ellen and Patrick’s chemistry that result in this amazing duo jumping out of the screen and grabbing your heart and squeezing it till it bursts. Anywho. Whilst Lexie/Jackson are cute and make me a little giddy… I just can’t SQUEEE and see myself jumping in head first on that train when MerDer are still, and forever will be the pinnacle of all things Grey’s Anatomy. Even if the writers want to shove Arizona/Callie/Mark baby drama in our faces at the moment. It all comes back to MerDer :)

Kristen

Posted at 7:08 PM on February 26, 2011

If Jackson had to bash Mark to get into Lexie’s pants, the relationship isn’t built on a very sound foundation.

Lisa

Posted at 7:25 PM on February 26, 2011

Except he didn’t bash Mark. They have built up a friendship since last season soo .. I don’t what any of you guys are talkin bout. Add in the fact he was only waiting for after work to make sure she was okay.

robyn

Posted at 9:02 PM on February 26, 2011

yeah I agree, I don’t think Avery is trying to take advantage of Lexie. He’s liked her for a long time. Its been foreshadowed this entire season, and when he did share info abou lexie to Mark, it was only because he knew that Lexie trusted him to keep her feelings private. He was only looking out for her. Like seriously people, I did hate Jackson Avery at first like many of you, same with the rest of the Mercy Westers, last season I thought he was such a douche, but now I love his character so much. And thats not just because he has pretty eyes haha. if you watch lexie and jackson scenes from the very first time jesse was on the show, you can see the chemistry was there from the start. Even if they don’t work out as a couple (this would be sad) they could still have an awesome friendship. anyways, chyler and jesse are both great actors who do their characters a lot of justice, so give dr. avery some creds haha. :)

robyn

Posted at 9:06 PM on February 26, 2011

*didn’t share info about lexie to mark sorry typo :)

Lisa

Posted at 9:34 PM on February 26, 2011

I agree. No matter what happens I hope Jesse & Chyler continue to get scenes. They have a amazing chemistry and are apparently BFFs on and off the set. But I really want them to work especially know Jesse wants Jackson to be Lexie’s McDreamy.

robyn

Posted at 9:53 PM on February 26, 2011

oh and one more thing… this anticipated relationship is what makes me keep watching the show. through all the stupid ptsd stuff with chritina and the annoying baby situation with Sloan, Callie, and Arizona,(even though i wanted that to happen), Chyler and Jesse’s small scenes each week (along with scenes that Ellen, Justin, Sarah are in too)are a huge part of the reason why I am still watching. don’t know if anyone feels the same way but yeah…

Sophia

Posted at 6:54 PM on February 26, 2011

The big difference? Avery just wanted to get into Lexie’s pants. Avery is Mcvet as Mark is to Derek. He saw a weak spot with Lexie and used it against her. Epic fail.

Allie

Posted at 6:00 PM on February 26, 2011

I love Jackson and Lexie so much. I was ridiculously giddy when they finally kissed and his “I’m in the line” had me swooning. They’ve got the chemistry and would be an amazing couple. I think the only reason they are going fast is bacause Shonda is going to screw them over all for the sake of Mark/Lexie :( How many times has Mark put her 2nd in his life? Lexie deserves better. Jackson’s a great guy and he obviously cares a lot for her. Lexie should forget Mark and move on to the hot, sweet, charming Avery :)

Grey'sFan2005

Posted at 5:22 PM on February 26, 2011

Are you KIDDING me? Someone please link the MerDers to this one. LMAO never mind that Shonda tweeted M/L were going to get back together. Avery is lame. He uses Mark to prop himself up.

Melody

Posted at 5:09 PM on February 26, 2011

I have to say I’m really liking the Avery/Lexie possibilities. And this is coming from a big Mark/Lexie fan. But I’m tired of waiting it out with all the WTF stop and stalls with those two. As much as I adore Mark, I’m not overly thrilled with him right now. As for Avery, he’s just yum, and yeah that line he gave her in the end was totally sexy. But I do agree they are moving way too fast. As cute as it was seeing them giggly and sneaky in the shower it kind of ruined it a little with the fast pacing. The pacing of the storylines this season are incredibly choppy.

And can I just say I loathe, absolutely LOATHE this ridiculous triangle baby story with Callie, Arizona and Mark. I really don’t see how any part of that situation is a good story. Yeah good father material or not, I found it completely ridiculous and unrealistic and kind of insensitive to see Mark one minute spouting ILY to Lexie and pretty much begging her for another chance (most of last season) and promising marriage then two seconds later he does a total 180 when he finds out Callie is pregnant and starts gushing over it not even bothering to think of his girlfriend first or talk to her about it first. Um what? The inconsistency of the storylines on this show is what is driving me nuts right now. And I don’t find Arizona and Mark fussing over Callie while she snaps at them every two seconds cute or endearing. It’s obnoxious and total overkill. I guess it’s the Callie equation in this that I really can’t stand. As much as I’m not a big fan of Arizona or how she bailed on Callie I had to agree with her remark on Callie’s ‘dream come true”. She pretty much gets everything served to her on a silver platter yet has such a self-serving attitude about the whole thing. How is any of that cute? If it weren’t for Lexie and Derek/Meredith I’d quite this show.

Debra

Posted at 4:58 PM on February 26, 2011

I am LOVING Lexie/Jackson. They actors actually look comfortable together unlike Mark/Lexie. And Lexie is so smiley around him. The promo for the next episode she’s still smiling while kissing him.

Ashley

Posted at 4:33 PM on February 26, 2011

LOVING LEXIE AND JACKSON. Hoping Shonda may have a change of heart and let them stick around and be happy.

Sharie

Posted at 3:51 PM on February 26, 2011

I adore the Lexie/Avery pairing. Seems like Twitter agrees too. Interesting thing that doesn’t agree is the Hollywood Life poll re: L/A that was 65% pro L/A and then a few hours later turned to 25% L/A. That makes me even more of a shipper for these two!!!

Ss

Posted at 3:50 PM on February 26, 2011

Okay, I am a huge Mark/Lexie fan, but this is a really interesting SL until they get back together. It only sucks that Jackson is gonna have to be hurt Bc Lexie is gonna have to dump him. Or she gets hurt, bc he dumps her. Whatever. What I mean is, that this is gonna be extremely fun, until it isn’t. But then it’s gonna be Slexie all the way. Just not happy for Jackson… Unless he hooks up with April. Which I personally think would be fun. :)

DMH

Posted at 3:31 PM on February 26, 2011

Okay so I think everyone should follow Shonda Rhimes on twitter because she basically drops hits of little things that could possibly happen. The thing with the eyes and Mer? Def just a one epi thing. I’m have read somewhere that they are going to be just fine so I’m assuming it’s a rough patch for interesting storylines and high ratings. I’m pretty sure they will make beautiful McBabies. I bet she’ll be pregnant with twins. As for the Avery/Lexue story? It’s not going to last. Have you ever realized how Shonda typically puts the original big love together, other than when characters had to be killed off. I remember Shonda tweeting that it’s going to be very difficult but that Lexie and Mark are going to make it through; which I am very happy about.

alicia

Posted at 2:51 PM on February 26, 2011

No, Lexie and Jackson aren’t the new Meredith and Derek. Because Derek didn’t make a move on Meredith when she was still clearly vulnerable about another guy. That was just an ass-ish move on Avery’s part. If he actually cared, he’d be a friend and build her up that way, not sleep with her. But hey, if that’s the kind of romance you go for…

lothiriel

Posted at 2:43 PM on February 26, 2011

i HATE THOSE TWO TOGETHER ! Jackson is so not interesting, I need MARK&LEXIE back together ASAP !

Elise

Posted at 2:32 PM on February 26, 2011

You do realize that everything Jackson said to Lexie in the episode was to get into her pants, right? There’s nothing romantic or cute or sweet about it. If he was a good guy, he would have tried being a friend to her since she’s still obviously vulnerable about Mark and their break-up but he’s not, he’s just a guy who wants sex. I don’t know about you but I love Lexie and that’s not the kind of relationships I want for her.
And if it’s happening too quickly, it’s because it’s just that, a quick hookup until Mark and Lexie get back together.

Tessa

Posted at 2:56 PM on February 26, 2011

Your kidding right? The show has been building up Jackson having a crush on Lexie for a while now, and if Katherine Heigl had come back permanently last season, the were planning on going with Jackson/Lexie then. Jackson never said anything about sex, and he has been nothing but a good friend both times Mark/Lexie broke up. And if your a Ln, how can you want Mark/Lexie? He’s inconsiderate of her feelings every time, he bangs everybody and she’ll be stuck in a relationship with two ladies and old man who will never put her first and a baby.. and who knows if Sloane comes back or what other grandbabies Mark has out there.
Lexie looked far happier in that shower scene with Avery then she ever has with Mark. I mean Mark missed Lexie so much he had unprotected sex with his supposed platonic best friend who Lexie used to worry about him having feelings for/closeness of their relationship like the day before they got back together. Yeah thats a perfect relationship for Lexie. Not to mention Lexie and Marks relationship started when she went to his hotel room to have sex with him …

Tessa

Posted at 3:07 PM on February 26, 2011

Lexie fan*

Elise

Posted at 3:54 PM on February 26, 2011

First of all, no I AM not kidding.
Then, s6 Jackson and s7 Jackson are too completely different characters but if you’ve seen the deleted scene from season 6, you know that Jackson hit on Lexie right after her break-up because he thought it would guarantee him sex. (He never said anything about sex? Right because everytime a guy don’t mention sex it means that it’s absolutely not on his mind)
And what he did this season: get informations on Lexie because Mark asked him to, lie to Mark and then hit on Lexie letting her think that he was the one who cared. Then in this week’s episode, he saw that Lexie was still vulnerable and when he thought she might make a move to come back to Mark, he bad-mouthed Mark and his relationship with Lexie even though he doesn’t know anything about either of them. He doesn’t know anything about Lexie (he said so himself to Mark) or what makes her happy, he just knows that Lexie with Mark means that she’s off limits to him and you won’t convince me that he’s driven by anything else but his want to get into her pants.

Mark has made a lot of mistakes (and so did Lexie) but he has always loved her. Yes, he has inappropriate sex (when he’s SINGLE) but he is self-destructive and he deals with things according to that, it doesn’t excuse everything but it’s a bit more complicated than “he had sex with Callie so he doesn’t love/miss Lexie”. More importantly he knows Lexie. Right now, he knows that the situation he’s in is not what Lexie wants so he’s backing off even if it means he has to sacrifice his relationship with her.
And if you want to see a Lexie genuinely happy, I’d say rewatch Disarm or, you know, every episode in which Mark and Lexie are together.

Tessa

Posted at 4:56 PM on February 26, 2011

“Also if you want to go there, Mark and Lexie already cared about each other when she went to his hotel room, it took time for the relationship to develop but it was already there.”

And Jackson and Lexie care about each other. And please tell me what mistakes Lexie had made in the Mark/Lexie relationship? He’s the one that made her a step mom & step grandmother all in the same year.

LOL he badmouthed Mark? No he didn’t, he said she deserves better than him, which alot of people agree on. You don’t know that she was going to go back to Mark, I mean why would she other than she loves him? Sometime loves not enough, she shouldn’t have to sacrifice herself for a relationship she’s not ready for. Lexie herself said she has a 10 year plan which did not include a baby, and yet this is the second time Mark has made decisions about there relationship without consulting her.

And he didn’t give Mark information in the end. He chose to lose a surgery to keep Lexies life private. And Mark was not giving her space, Mark was being an ass and abusing his position in the hospital by making Jackson need to get information from Lexie or he wouldn’t get surgery. That hospital is suppose to be a teaching hospital but once again it shows Mark only cares about himself.

And Jackson does care about Lexie. Even one of the writers of the show said as much. He’s been shown to have feelings for Lexie for a while now. And Jesse who plays Jackson would like for Jackson to be Lexies Mcdreamy. Ever herd Eric Dane talk like that?

Tessa

Posted at 5:01 PM on February 26, 2011

Coos

Posted at 6:19 AM on February 27, 2011

THANKYOU! Seriously, you’re saying what I would’ve said if you hadn’t already said it. Everything Jackson does is selfish. And especially where it concerns Lexie. She deserves so much better than him.

Tessa

Posted at 7:51 PM on February 27, 2011

If she deserves better than Jackson, than you must think she deserves better than Mark right?

Vanessa

Posted at 2:18 PM on February 26, 2011

Yowzahs, I’m so all over the Vanessa/Avery hook up. I mean, What? Did I type that? I meant Lexie/Avery hook up. Right. That’s totally what I meant.
The eyes. I mean, in the history of eyes, have there ever been sexier eyes than Jesse Williams’?
But I hope Lexie & Jackson couple it up and it WORKS…ya know?
I’m curious to see where the Meredith eyesight storyline will go. My guess is that she’ll choose medicine (of course) and drop the drugs and baby makin’ will be on hold indefinitely. Maybe…adoption?

Ellis

Posted at 10:15 PM on February 25, 2011

I’m completely on love with the Lexie and Avery hook up. I’ve been waiting for this for ages.

Rach

Posted at 5:53 AM on February 25, 2011

I’m over Grey’s. Too much stuffing up relationships.

xcbg

Posted at 3:58 AM on February 25, 2011

I know we women have lots of standards to pick up a man, and there’s one website that can almost meet all our different demands:

~~Bla c k w h it e F lirts. C” 0_ M ~~~my sisiter told me this; it worked for her, it worked for me; and i’m sure it’s gonna work for u, buddy!!