Dr. Drew: Charlie Sheen Might Kill Himself And Needs Psychiatric Hold! Exclusive!

Fri, February 25, 2011 12:25pm EDT by 15 Comments
Getty Images
Getty Images

Getty Images

Dr. Drew expresses very serious concern over Charlie Sheen following his rant against Two and a Half Men creator Chuck Lorre; says Charlie needs to go to the hospital

Charlie Sheen took his dangerous behavior to a whole new level yesterday with his public rant against Two and a Half Men creator Chuck Lorre. He called him “Chaim Levine” throughout his interviews and said he “violently hated” the “p***y punk.” Two and a Half Men shut down production for the rest of the season as a consequence, and now Dr. Drew is saying that isn’t the worst that could happen for Charlie. He’s concerned the actor might kill himself!

“He’s in an acute manic state right now,” Dr. Drew told us last night at the American Idol Top 24 Prom. “Notice how he goes from thought to thought and they are sort of disconnected? That’s acute mania. Thats an acute psychiatric emergency.”

Dr. Drew explains that people in this state are “more likely to kill themselves or hurt themselves” and said it’s imperative that Charlie go to the hospital. “It’s a really big deal,” he insists.

The addiction specialist says he doesn’t know if Charlie is acting this way because of drugs, drug withdrawal, or because he is bipolar, but says regardless, the actor is headed for psychiatric hold. “I think he’s going to end up in a hold, in a 72 hour hold.”

His recommendation? “He needs to get into the program.” Dr. Drew is referring to Alcoholics Anonymous, which Charlie called a “bootleg cult” in his radio interview yesterday.

Do you guys agree that Charlie Sheen needs psychiatric help?

Loading video...

Lorena O’Neil with reporting by Kirstin Benson

Click here to read how industry experts say this will end Charlie’s career

Click here for a round-up of Charlie Sheen’s insults!

Chaim Paddaman

Posted at 11:36 AM on April 11, 2011

Charlie Sheen has made the painful discovery that “Chaim Doesn’t pay”.

Inda Kenny

Posted at 4:53 AM on March 13, 2011

I’d like to see how Dr. Drew the TV shrink and pharma lobbyist behaved if doctors were calling for him to be locked up and force feed medication, one day karma will get this nasty man. They did the same to Kurt Cobain, the shrinks came after him when he was in meltdown and he saw no other way out than with a shotgun. Where Charlie need to be right now is somewhere safe with people who love and care about him until he can get himself grounded again, he does not need sinister people like Dr. Drew “diagnosing” him.

Alex

Posted at 6:31 PM on March 2, 2011

Dr. Drew is correct-Charlie NEEDS help NOW. There are many people that use drugs/drinking to self treat so it is very possible that he is bipolar. Also, I have worked with addicts and it not something a person can deal with on their own. I wish Charlie’s relatives would intervene NOW.

rckmsckmrbts

Posted at 8:41 PM on February 28, 2011

I find Charlie Sheen highly entertaining – much more so than the Oscars this year. His one-liners are awesome, and I actually don’t think he sounds psychotic… he sounds like an unapologetic man under pressure using imaginative language to defend himself against his critics, which are many. I hope he stays clean (he passed a recent drug test) and stays highly entertaining.

mpalooza

Posted at 5:22 PM on February 28, 2011

It’s too bad we couldn’t hear more detail from Dr. Drew. He’s right, these statements and behaviors are mania. He’s recently said, “I’ve got magic in my fingerprints”, “I’ve got tiger blood”, “I’m smarter than everyone”….the list goes on. Probably a sign of substance abuse mood disorder. The essential feature of a drug-induced mood disorder is the onset of symptoms in the context of drug use, intoxication, or withdrawal. Since he’s tested clean, could be he’s experiencing manic highs complete with grandiose thinking. But with every manic high, comes the manic low. Fasten your seat belts, Charlie is going to crash big!

Moonbeam

Posted at 3:02 PM on February 26, 2011

Update to my comment below: after listening this morning to more updated comments by Charlie, he is sounding more logical and as if he does have some legitimate complaints about how and why the show was shut down. He does not sound as manic as before and sounds more stable this morning. Hope he gets whatever treatment he needs, but glad to hear he’s seems better today.

Moonbeam

Posted at 10:21 PM on February 25, 2011

If I was one of his parents, I’d try to get him hospitalized, even against his wishes, in order to protect him from himself. He has supported a lot of people very well, both his wives and children, not to mention that his quality of work has helped create a large income for his co-workers and crew (but not to say they weren’t talented people anyway). He now deserves some intervention, and he deserves to have medical staff who are very good at treating what may be underlying brain chemical imbalances, and not just focusing on addictions themselves. It is shocking how some of the top psychiatrists aren’t really as good at this as one would expect. Some will even do things like prescribe meds for serotonin levels alone, but not consider that could counterbalance dopamine levels, or prescribe a mood stabilizer that can cause pancreatic failure, but not warn the patient and only monitor the liver function. Further, look at what has happened to Lindsay Lohan after being allowed to leave the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute earlier than Judge Revel wanted. Would she still be facing felony charges if she had received more aggressive medical treatment?

calic0

Posted at 9:45 PM on February 25, 2011

Boy he sounded psychotic to me. I guess schizophrenia would be more obvious and would have started sooner. But truly he is flipping out. I don’t really care if he hurts himself. I do care if MD’s help celebs kill themselves ( like Dr Murray.)

stevie

Posted at 5:49 PM on February 25, 2011

I have precious little sympathy for jaded, pampered movie stars like Charlie (or Lindsay or Britney or Miley or Downey or..) What problems can these spoiled brats actually have? They’re rich, young, and famous! Therin lies the problem, I suppose. They’re so used to getting everything handed to them, they’ve developed zero coping skills. They should get themselves right with God and start realizing they have a responsibility to their respective vast and impressionable followings. They have an ideal platform to serve as effective role models, staunch moral pillars for our youth, and one by one they blow it. Ah well, they’re not actors because of their intellectual capacities I guess.

frenchy

Posted at 6:24 PM on July 8, 2012

Here here, I way agree with you!

Ted

Posted at 5:18 PM on February 25, 2011

Dr Drew is right, I have been there. I heard him on the radio and went wow. He sounds like me when I was mentally ill. Dr drew is correct when/if he gets better he will be angry with the people that didn’t intervene. I know that’s how I felt.
This disconnected rant is a cry for help.

Get Charlie to a hospital NOW, he will love you later.
T.K

Beth

Posted at 3:24 PM on February 25, 2011

I think Dr. Drew is potentially more dangerous than Charlie.

roy

Posted at 1:41 PM on February 25, 2011

I think he should date Lindsay Lohan.

nina

Posted at 1:14 PM on February 25, 2011

drew’s right. charlie’s tmz rant letter was completely insane. This isn’t funny anymore, the dude is going to harm himself or others.

JB

Posted at 12:48 PM on March 1, 2011

He appears to be in an acute manic state likley drug induced mood disorder, but that would be for a psychiatrist to determine based on a comprehensive assessment.Behaviors and thought process are psychotic. He needs hopitalization yesterday!!!! I am amazed that he has not been commited. Watch for the crash, it’s coming soon. Seeing all the reports, it’s amazing how ignorant society remains about mental illness