Plus, Katherine is officially the most obnoxious house guest ever! And call me crazy, but did Matt dye his hair brown?
I don’t freak out easily, but the Feb. 24 episode of The Vampire Diaries had me “holy crap”-ing and “that did not just happen”-ing for a full hour. I also don’t like to name names before the jump (spoiler alert) so I’ll just say this: two people died, one person sang, and someone got her powers back!
What went down:
- Luka (Bryton James) and Jonas (Randy Goodwin) used their powers to project Luka into the Salvatore manor, where he planned to remove the dagger from Elijah (Daniel Gillies) and resurrect him. Fortunately Damon (Ian Somerhalder) owns a flamethrower and literally burned Luka alive.
- Unaware of these shenanigans, Caroline (Candice Accola) compeled a band to play backup for her (“You WILL help me live out my rockstar dreams!”) and she serenaded Matt (Zach Roerig.) And then he kissed her. It was epic.
- Jonas shanked Matt in the neck with a broken bottle, prompting Caroline to give him her blood to save his life.
- Katherine (Nina Dobrev), pretending to be Elena, lured Jonas into the Gilberts’ bathroom and bit the hell out of him.
- Jonas came back for a second, so Stefan (Paul Wesley) snapped his neck. But just before he died, he gave Bonnie (Katerina Graham) her powers back! Then she and Jeremy made out! Also epic!
- Caroline came clean to Matt about being a vampire and he freaked out, blaming her for Vicki’s (Kayla Ewell) death!
- Katherine threw herself at Damon, but he totally shot her down. Is he really over her?
- And last, but most Twitter trend-ed, a special guest appeared on the Gilberts’ doorstep: Isobel (Mia Kirshner!)
How I feel about…
Luka & Jonas: While I’m pleased as punch that they’re both dead — honestly, I feel like their sole purpose in life was to ruin perfectly good “Beremy” moments — I’m a little curious about what will become of Luka’s sister, Brita. Klaus still has her, which means the Mystic Falls crew is bound to come across her eventually. Or have they already? (I don’t know why, but I can’t shake the feeling that she’s actually Bonnie’s “cousin” who we met during the “Masquerade” episodes. Anyone else feel that way?)
Bonnie & Jeremy: The cat is officially out of the bag, and surprisingly, Elena is totally fine with her best friend dating her brother! In fact, Elena’s acceptance made for my favorite moment of the episode. Elena told Bonnie that Jeremy’s had more pain in his life than he can handle… and that she’s happy he found someone as great as her! This is the stuff legendary couples are made of.
Matt & Caroline: I love the idea of Matt and Caroline, but after every bump they hit along the road to romance, I have to wonder: “Is it really worth it?” And my uneasiness only worsened tonight when we saw Matt’s reaction to learning she’s a vampire. He freaked the eff out, and considering what happened to Vicki, I can’t really blame him. That being said, Caroline singing to him in front of everyone at the Grill was nothing short of adorable. Candice Accola, you iz amazing.
Katherine: I still don’t totally know how I feel about this girl. I mean, I love her because she’s feisty and hilarious, but I’m getting a little tired of her playing the same old game with the Salvatore brothers. That’s why I REALLY loved that Damon rejected her when she threw herself at him at the end of the episode! (“There are six bedrooms in this house… go find one of them.”) Now that Isobel is back in town, though, it looks like Katherine has a whole new game to play.