LAURA'S LOVE ADVICE: Is It OK For Demi To Date Wilmer Valderrama, Or Is 10 Years Too Much Of An Age Difference?

Thu, February 24, 2011 10:56am EDT by 9 Comments
Getty Images, PacificCoastNews.com

Demi Lovato is 18. Wilmer is 31. Should they really be dating or is he way too old for her?

Here’s an interesting concept: when scorned by an older man, go for an even older man to ease your pain! That’s what troubled starlet Demi Lovato seems to be doing at any rate, now that that it’s been reported she and Wilmer Valderrama have been quietly dating since January. Is Demi trying to prove to ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas that she, too, can move on with a more mature partner, or is Wilmer way too old for her?

The 18-year-old Disney star has suffered a lot in the last year. Not only did the man she loved, 21-year-old Joe, dump her, but he brought his new, perfect puma girlfriend, 24-year-old Ashley Greene, on their joint tour. She then went a bit crazy on a backup dancer and checked into rehab, allegedly for an eating disorder and cutting. The point is, she deserves some happiness right now!

But is she going to find it with Wilmer? At 31, he’s 13 years her senior – and he has a history of dating ‘broken’ women; he dated Hollywood train wreck Lindsay Lohan back in 2004.

What I really want to say to any man over the age of 24 who would date a barely legal girl is this: shame on you. Although Wilmer is much too old for Demi, their situation is slightly different in the fact that they’ve been friends for a very long time. Although most men think with their you-know-whats, something tells me that Wilmer wouldn’t jeopardize a) a good friend b) one who’s had some serious personal issues. He, in fact, could be her antidote.

But you have my stance. I’m not a fan of the May-December romance. Although some might work, I think it’s a little creepy that older men would prey on a pretty young thing. Most 18-year-olds are only beginning to explore their sexuality, they’re fragile. It seems unfair for a guy who’s been around the block a time or 50 to take advantage of that.

What do you think?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Cynthia

Posted at 6:52 PM on February 26, 2011

I see nothing wrong with Wilmer dating Demi because she will be 19 this year…..if she was 17 or younger, than that would be taboo………

LittleMo

Posted at 12:58 AM on February 25, 2011

Wilmer had been a bit of a jerk in the past and if he’s still the same that’s then he’s not a good man for anybody of anyone.

However, havind said that, people really should get their mind out of the gutter when it comes to age. It’s the maturity level of the people involved. Sometimes Jane/John Doe will have that maturity at 18 and sometimes it won’t matter if Jane/John Doe is 30 – they still doesn’t have it.

When I was 18 I dated a man who was 37. We got engaged when I was 19 and he was 38. He was hit and killed by a drunk driver 1 mile from my house on his way home after a date but if that had not happened, we would have been married over 35 years now. He was “the one” and I knew that at 18-19. I’m 54 now and never married because while I lived a “normal social life” I have never met another one like him. And I “knew” at 18-19.

What surprised a lot of people is that my entire family – including my father – loved him. Someone asked my Dad once didn’t it make him feel strange to see an older man with me and my father said that this man treated me like a queen, did everything for me, and most importantly loved me. My Dad ended it by saying that if a man was going to do all the important things for his daughter then he wasn’t going to be stupid and let that man’s age be an issue. My father was right.

In this instance, I actually dont’ think Demi has the maturity to cope with this. Growing up in the entertaintment industry she had to know that she was going to run into Joe Jonas with another girl at some point, and Joe and his date, whether it’s Ashley Green or had been someone else, don’t have to hide or slink around just to avoid Demi having a temper tantrum again. Since she reacted the way she did, I really don’t think she has the maturity for a relationship with anyone older. But that’s her, not her age – the number has nothing to do with it.

duddi

Posted at 8:55 PM on February 24, 2011

that´s just for publicity and if they are for real he just wants sleep whit her (it doesn´t matter the purity ring)and maybe publish their sex life on a radio like he did before.

alex

Posted at 6:18 PM on February 24, 2011

he looks a little like joe jonas

Patricia

Posted at 5:59 PM on February 24, 2011

So totally agree with you he is much too old to date her. If he is standing in with parental approval…as big brother or friend with NO benefits more power to them. If she was still 17 y/o…7 years older is considered age to be a predator. So if this has been going on for years…Well u already did the math. Dating older man…certainly if he is rich & unwell (meant only as a joke).LOL In fact 24 years ago I married a most wonderful man almost 12 years younger. Guess I was cougar(UGH) before it was cool.

kayla

Posted at 2:08 PM on February 24, 2011

You know what struck me is were are the pics of this so called dating stuff yu really dont have any real truth but wat radom people say whoever sayed they saw them getting cozy should have took some real photos because yu cant put news as big as this out there with some good evidence instead to listen to what prez hilton says she is known to put false news out there and watever wilmer did in the past should not be brought up because its the past he has changed and just because he was seen with demi are we really suppose to go this far with that she did say she was going to spending time on the with family and firends he is a probably a good firend to her and just taking out a little to cool of from all this pressure someone like demi can use that and joe and ashley are doig good and i think this had nothing to do with wilmer and demi but joe is a good guy and demi has the up most respect for joe and ashley and i know this bc in an interview demi sayed she loves twilght and everyone in it so she said that while she was dating joe and i doudt tht demi would not like her bc of joe and ashley are dating and ahe probably not talking to them because she needs some space to chill and she will come out and tell us why but yu guys making false news about her and wilmer or whoever are just gonna hold her back and lastly if she isnt dating him then its over but if she is then it still should be over because if yu do love somone it doesnt matter what age yu are even if it 13 years apart love doesnt have a age limit and yu should no affence yu should not ask fans or anyone wat they think about this bc i theyd prob say no i would date that person bc of age hc they are mostly all kids and they dont spucificly no wat love is c they never been in love or at least for real and obiviously yu guys havent either bc love isnt an age limit and i commented bc all this news about demi has gone to far just a few weeks ago yu guys were saying owh i respect yur privicy blahh blahh blahh….now tht yu imagined yu saw this its like i dont care about her privicy if yu do want to know what really is going on give her some time without all this FALSE news going out

Babella

Posted at 12:26 PM on February 24, 2011

Wilmer’s gross. It’s almost like he was waiting for Demi to be grown-up enough to sleep with. I think the guy has pedophilic tendencies

KM

Posted at 1:00 PM on February 24, 2011

I could not agree more he’s definitely a pedo she just turned eighteen a few months ago. Wilmaer has some serious issues.

Danie

Posted at 11:11 AM on February 24, 2011

Its funny that no one has pointed out that her ex best friend, Selena Gomez, is dating a 16 year old ( tho he will 17 soon) . It funny just how diffefent these once bffs boyfriends are from each other. also selena seems to be getting more crap for the less then 2 year age difference then they are for the 13 year one