Pitbull Mauls Baby To Death In Bassinet. This Is Awful.

Tue, February 22, 2011 4:54pm EST by 25 Comments

iStock

A ten-day-old baby was mauled to death by the family pit bull as he was sleeping in his bassinet. So terrible.

Police say this attack was the “worst thing” they’ve ever seen. A ten-day-old baby boy was soundly asleep in his bassinet before the 11-month old family pit bull mauled him to death, leaving him with horrific neck and head injuries. Neighbors in Kalamazoo, Michigan say the baby’s mother ran out of the house screaming after she woke up to find her newborn child viciously attacked by her own dog. This might be one of the most disturbing things we have ever heard.

Mother binds baby with duct tape — so disturbing

The mother, who is said to be in her mid 20s and also has a 2-year-old son, put her baby boy down for a nap on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 19, and then went to sleep in another room with the dog. “When she woke up there must have been a sixth sense something was wrong,” Jeff Hadley, chief of Kalamazoo Public Safety, tells MailOnline. “The dog that had laid down in her room to sleep was gone and she went to check on the baby.”

The dog had pushed the baby’s room door open and attacked him as he slept. The infant suffered severe head, neck and face trauma and was pronounced dead on the scene. “It was awful,” Chief Hadley says. “I know some of the officers and they said it was the worst thing they had ever been to in their careers.” The pitbull was immediately removed from the house and put down.

Stepmom admits to killing her kids with antifreeze!

To make matters worse, neighbors of the woman, who has two pitbulls, say the dog was trying to bite officers as they took him from the home. Sadly, this kind of incident has happened before, with a 5-day old baby being killed by a pit bull just last February.

Warning, it is not safe to have a vicious dog in the house, especially when they are still puppies themselves. Introducing an 11-month-old pit bull to a newborn baby just doesn’t sound like the right thing to do. Please keep your children safe.

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

theyarethedevil

Posted at 12:14 PM on January 5, 2014

You can’t change a pitbulls natural instinct. They are ugly and love to kill. they are not meant for domestication when will the idiots wake up? i know when more innocent babies are killed.

S K

Posted at 12:53 PM on February 13, 2013

I agree I don’t think the dog in the pic is a pit, and I’ve been a pit/dog lover and advocate for a while. I think this is probably some kind of bulldog with clipped ears. He looks good natured tho, I hope this isn’t the actual dog that killed someone. Scratch that this isn’t the same dog, this dog is clearly an adult, the one written about is under a year old. No way is this pic of a pup. I wonder if the attacker was just a mix breed dog, or an actual pit. There was a lab puppy attack that in some newspapers was called a pit.

Sylvie- as a pit lover, I know how you feel, but I think a lot of people are just upset, and have no idea where to target said sadness. I used to think it was like pit lovers against the world, but lately I’ve been walking my boyfriends dog and being honest- even trying- to name his breed mix – pit and rott- since he’s such a sweetie. First people often react with “OH!”s that they forget to contain, but then they start the “I’m just surprised is all… those breeds are… big.” I expect partly it’s to keep from offending me, but then they get into how other dogs have been unfairly targetted before. Whether it is to appease me or not, letting them come to these thoughts on their own, I can tell it changes things in their mind some. I think a lot of people must just not know any pits themselves or something. It’s weird.

Katie

Posted at 5:33 PM on December 18, 2012

Maybe some people shouldn’t leave their small, fragile, innocent little babies some where that anything can get to them, unsupervised!! Obviously they didn’t raise the pit bull right if it thought the baby was a chew toy!!

theyarethedevil

Posted at 12:10 PM on January 5, 2014

Sylvie

Posted at 7:25 PM on September 22, 2011

First of all the dog in this picture is not a Pitbull. I own a rescued Pit. I rescued him from a dog fighter and it took me over a year to re-habilitate him but he is now a sweet loving family pet, in fact I bring him to work with me, he sleeps under my desk and my boss loves him. So I have some experience with Pits. All you people who think us Pit owners should be put down I have this to say. Humans are violent creatures who cause so much harm to other humans, they murder and rape, so by your logic ALL Humans are dangerous animals and should all be put down, SHAME on anyone who bears children and brings more humans into this world…… Doesn’t make sense does it? Don’t judge an entire breed.

In fact there are a lot of good humans out there, just as there are a lot of good Pitbulls. When any dog is beaten and abused they lash out.

This situation is tragic yes, but this is where responsible ownership comes in. This situation has happened with huskies to (I have no issues with huskies it was just the statistics I read), All wolf breeds have the tendency to kill a child that comes into the house, any responsible owner knows that you have to introduce a baby carefully to ANY dog, even my Lab growing up use to try and knock my baby brother off the bed which is why he was introduced to my brother slowly and always supervised.

I have been reading your comments all you pitbull haters, I truly feel sorry for you as you have such hatred in your words, what is wrong with you to say that all pit bull owners should be put down, no compassion what so ever just sheer hatred. I honestly think a band of ignorant uneducated humans are more dangerous that any dog breed, and more cruel and malicious.

You people need to educate yourselves with real facts, in the 70s the Dobermans were the dangerous dog, the 80’s it was the German Shepard and in the 90’s it was the Rotties. Don’t be sheep actually educate yourself, actual take the time to see the true nature of this dog you so desperately want to destroy. Before you are allowed to make such uneducated comments you should have to work in a shelter with pit bulls and see just how sweet they can be. I bet most of you don’t even know what a pit bull looks like.

oh and FYI I want you all to look up what breed the dog from the 60’s Little Rascals was.. Pete… Yeah Thats Right, Pete was a Pitbull…

APBTfan

Posted at 1:35 PM on June 23, 2011

. Thats Not even a pitbull. Looks like a AmBully or just a Cross-bred Mutt If you guys are going to do a story about a Pitbull attack atleast Know what an APBT looks like.
Plus, the mother needs to be in jail for leaving her baby unattended. you DO NOT leave a animal alone with a child EVER. Regardless if you had the animal for years. Dogs have a peaking order just like Wild animals. the don’t see “family” in the same sense as a human they see it as a pack.

Ummmyeah

Posted at 12:02 PM on February 23, 2011

If a dog is vicious, its the owners fault, not the dog nor the breed. And FYI, that is not a true Pit in that picture. That dog is mixed with mastiff or something else. Stupid breeds have ruined this breed.

Jackie

Posted at 11:49 AM on February 23, 2011

Any size dog can be a danger to a child, and a child can be a danger to a dog. I have a year old catahoula with a heart-shaped patch on her chest that we like to say is because she is so sweet, but believe me we don’t allow my 4-year -old to have unsupervised access to her, for both their safety. You can never take back that one awful moment of complacency.

tomato

Posted at 3:11 AM on February 23, 2011

Do you know why Pits became so popular in dog fighting? Because as vicious as they are forced to be, as cruel as their own treatment may be, they are so loyal and inherently kind that they almost never turn on their handlers. Pit Bulls used to be regarded as one of the most gentle, upstanding, loving breeds, and their good nature was only exploited.

The problem now is not just bad owners, though. People who fight dogs sell puppies. If a family purchases a puppy that was reared by a mother from a fighting line or who herself has been taught to fight, chances are you are taking a risk with that dog. Dogs pick up on mom’s behavioral nuances, and a canine mom who is nervous and goaded into vicious reactions will raise pups who often exhibit the same behaviors. They too will be nervous, they too will raise their hackles toward people other than their primary handler. These dogs are doomed by man from the start, and even if they must be put down, that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve our pity.

If buying a pit or any breed that is used by people for fighting, it is careless not to research the breeder and puppy’s line, because nurture in the first two months can count more than nature, and even nurture from any other period in a dog’s life. Sometimes even the most experienced owner can’t undo the imprint of those like Michael Vick, even generations later.

elisabethmay

Posted at 4:12 AM on February 23, 2011

it’s not pretty
it might be dangerous if owner is an idiot
it might have bad genes

and people still keep it even if they have little new born child at home.

this is pure idiotism.

Lmg1955

Posted at 1:07 AM on February 23, 2011

Wow! I have heard it, but now I believe it. There are some people who actually believe, “If it’s in the newspaper, it must be true.” I take exception with this “report”….as it is no more libel than journalism. There is definitely more to this story than meets the eye. Leigh Blickley ought to go back to journalism school or at the very least have to write on the blackboard, “I will check my facts. Innocent until proven guilty.” Since no one witnessed the attack, then police are only assuming which dog (if it WAS one of the pitties) was responsible for the attack. If the dog snapped at police when they were taking it from the home… that is the natural reaction of any dog taken off the job and away from those that he or she is suppose to protect. American Bull Terriers, like Pete the Pup from the Our Gang comedies of long ago, have a grand reputation (as has been pointed out), but it is when media mavens take liberty by concealing facts or using incendiary phrases like “Warning,” “Caution,”and “Please keep your children safe,” that people get concerned. Perhaps the fear-mongers should be “put down,” for their own vicious attacks on good journalism, fair and accurate reporting.

Eihwaz

Posted at 9:44 PM on February 22, 2011

If anyone here cares to research the history of Pitbulls, GOOGLE “Sergeant Stubby”, a Pitbull in WWI who saved his entire unit and was the first decorated dog in American history!!! Do your math, idiots. LOVE PITBULLS, AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU!!!

Becca

Posted at 6:43 PM on February 22, 2011

That is a truely horrendous story. But like L said it’s not the breed to blame but the owners. Dogs aren’t born vicious, they’re made that way by people who either do it on purpose or do it out of lack of understanding of the breed and it’s training needs. I personally find it sad that the news singles out certain breeds and leaves out others. Chihuahuas are far worse than pitbulls. People just don’t see them as a threat cause of their size. I would trust my 6 month old around a pitbull (one that I either own or know the owner of and trust) but I would never trust a chihuahua around her. And Labs also can be vicious. People think of them as gods of the dog world, these great family pets but you never hear about attacks by a lab cause the media doesn’t deem it necessary to air it. So to all you that said all pitbulls need to be eliminated, pull your heads out of your butts and do some research on the breed and other breeds that are just as equally vicious but you don’t hear about. I can’t stand ignorant people that see one story about a pitbull attack and label all pitbulls as vicious and undeserving of life. And it’s not just pitbulls, it’s german shephards and rottweilers and such that get a bad wrap. Quit being ignorant people!! There’s way more news about pitbulls saving a child’s life than taking a child’s life. But these breeds aren’t for just anyone, they need owners who have done their research and know what the hell they’re doing.

L

Posted at 8:44 PM on February 22, 2011

Amen Becca! I, as a child, was actually viciously attacked by a black lab…did that ever get reported? Nope because people see that as a mistake and odd. The media ALWAYS hypes up pitbull attacks. My pittie is the sweetest dog I have ever met and anyone that meets her has agreed. She is way sweeter than my parent’s austrailian shepherd (which is apparently a child friendly breed and I would never have my parents dog around my baby). This breed needs extreme patience when training. They are extremely loyal and loving dogs…and sadly misunderstood because of articles such as these. While I feel horrible for the mother who had to endure this, as well as the baby, I can’t help but wonder what kind of home this dog was raised in, nor can I ignore the fact that the mother left the child in an area that was easily accesible to the dog (in a bassinet). Why wasn’t the child sleeping in his/her crib which is up higher and out of reach of the dog?. I hope that more people can stop believing everything they see and hear and do actual REAL research. I love this breed and I will never stop fighting for them.

ANg

Posted at 6:26 PM on February 22, 2011

This freaking dog breed should be banned from the face of the planet… These evil dogs kill way too many children each year. I hope the USA bans pitbull ownership for good!

If you own a pitbull: SHAME ON YOU!

Eihwaz

Posted at 9:28 PM on February 22, 2011

STFU, you are a waste of space. Tie a bag around your head and die…take your worthless family with you…you retard.

L

Posted at 6:11 PM on February 22, 2011

I am a proud owner of a pitbull. I have experience with them and know that the breed is not vicious unless provoked. What I want to know, is what kind of care this “family” was providing to their dog. Most dogs who attack are dogs who have bad owners… Just a thought. Stop blaming the breed and look at the bigger picture.

hashish

Posted at 6:26 PM on February 22, 2011

Pitbull owners should be put down with their dogs. I can’t understand why any decent human needs these ugly vicious dogs as pets. They are not pet material. Fn idiots the lot of you.

stevie

Posted at 6:38 PM on February 22, 2011

Nothing wrong with the breed, ANg. In fact, they are considered to be great with children. It’s the irresponsible owners who should be “banned from the planet.” Pits are a victim of public ignorance and hysteria. German Shepards have maimed and killed far more children, but you don’t see calls for their banishment.

Eihwaz

Posted at 9:26 PM on February 22, 2011

In fact, they are known as “Nanny dogs” due to their protective and nurturing nature for children. Anyone who loves Pitbulls are rad, anyone who vilifies them because of a single incident is a lame retard and should be put to sleep for being an idiot.

Amber

Posted at 10:33 AM on February 23, 2011

First off I want to let everyone know that wants to sit here and knock Pits that they are NOT bad dogs at all. Its the monster on the other end of the lease that is the problem. If you care and love you Pit you will NOT have any problems with them.

As for Pit owners being put down with the dog…What if we put you and all the other people down for being stupid and now knowing the real facts about why Pits do what they do? Would you like that? Yeah I didnt think so because there will not be many people left on the earth. It is a FACT that other dogs are more aggressive than Pits but all you hear about is Pits because everyone makes them fighting dogs. Well, hello lets try and be kind and loving to the Pits and they will be your BEST FRIEND!

PIT BULL ADVOCATE

Posted at 12:47 PM on June 24, 2011

What do u know? You’re a dog expert? WOW! KNOWLEDGE IS A BLISS! REAR IS CAUSED BY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE! Go back to grade school! LET’S PUT ALL PEOPLE TO SLEEP THEN for KILLING and RAPING and STEALING! Efin Troll!

Angie

Posted at 12:11 AM on August 23, 2012

The KEY WORDS you used is “Not Vicious Unless Provoked”. Kids will be kids and try to play with a dog and the Pitpull breed will snap and attack. — You would never see a kid friendly dog like a Shih Tzu do that! — You are all saying “IF”, “IF”, “IF”….think about it… WHY are y’all protecting your ‘vicious breed’ !!! AND you used the word VICIOUS…. not me! Pitbulls are NOT pet material period!!!!!!!

Booger

Posted at 6:03 PM on February 22, 2011

While I totaly agree with you, this is a sad thing. It can not be compared the way you try to do. Not even close! A loaded gun dosen’t sneak into a room to kill.

Christen Y

Posted at 5:28 PM on February 22, 2011

Child endangerment by the mother she should be jailed for
life. Just like keeping a loaded gun in the house and saying it accidentaly went off and killed the baby. What a tragic end to a life.