Kirstin Says: Oh, No! David Archuleta Got Dropped From Jive Records, Does He Have Something Else Up His Sleeve?

Fri, February 18, 2011 7:06pm EST by 31 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

I can’t believe Jive dropped Archie from its label! Do YOU think it’s fair?

It’s official. American Idol alum David Archuleta was dropped from Jive Records after his latest album, “The Other Side of Down,” sold less than eight times the amount of his first album, “David Archuleta,” in 2008. The thing is, I don’t think the decrease in sales was all Archie’s fault. The album had terrible marketing!

Think about it, unless you’re a big David Archuleta fan, he hasn’t exactly been blowing up your RSS feed lately. I work in entertainment news and remember seeing him on Idol last season (singing “Imagine”) and then at the Teen Choice Awards in the summer. That’s it.

This 20-year-old kid has an incredible following. His fans are amazing…there was no need for his album to flop so drastically. After all, the season seven finale of Idol when Archie was up against David Cook, brought in more than 97 MILLION votes. That’s insane!

I’ve contacted David’s team to see what the next course of action is for their talented client. Although I haven’t heard back yet, I can only imagine Archie will come back on top once again. He has the voice of an angel!

Loading video...

For all Idol news, follow Kirstin on Twitter!

ceai verde, green tea, oolong tea, wulong tea, white tea, black tea

Posted at 11:38 AM on April 4, 2012

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your website unintentionally, and I am stunned why this coincidence didn’t happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

Nixy

Posted at 2:16 AM on May 1, 2011

Those people who are hating on David Archuleta shouldn’t be reading this post or commenting on it anyway! Who cares if people have wrong spelling , grammar or even typos here! You obviously have nothing to do with your life! So what if David’s not that tall! He’s not a model! He’s a SINGER! Singers don’t have to be tall to be successful! He’s talented so just deal with that!

Brenda

Posted at 8:53 PM on February 20, 2011

I THINK THIS IS JUST A RUMMOR

Judy

Posted at 1:35 PM on February 20, 2011

I’m impressed that David has such a passionate fan base. His label screwed him over.

SSStar

Posted at 10:09 AM on February 20, 2011

That midget still around?

miranda

Posted at 9:38 PM on February 19, 2011

David A. is too good and talented to dropped by any label. A smart label will try to promote him properly. I wonder why Jive didn’t promote him? Something is not right because it doesn’t make sense why the label didn’t want to promote the singer who was under it’s label? I believe they didn’t drop him but released him because David already had 3 albums with Jive, and David didn’t want to extend working under Jive. Anyway, with or without that stupid Jive, David will be back and bigger than ever. With all the supports of his loyal fans nothing seems impossible for David. Go David Go!!!!!!

KT

Posted at 12:01 PM on February 19, 2011

I like lack of promotion was this album’s downfall. I didn’t even know he had a third album out and I’m a fan of his.

Pascalee

Posted at 7:59 AM on February 19, 2011

David is a gifted singer, but Jive never understood him, I think. They wanted to market him as just another teen/tween pop idol. Yeah, he’s gorgeous and all, but he sings circles around any of those so-called teen stars. He’ll be back. He better be!!! I need a concert badly!

TrudyFOD

Posted at 7:58 AM on February 19, 2011

There are other labels…and David is too talented to not be snatched up quickly. I “trust the Archuleta.” I’m glad JIVE gave David the opportunity to start his career. There will always be changes in everyone’s lives…David will be fine and move on and I know produce more awesome amazing music!

Mary

Posted at 7:41 AM on February 19, 2011

I think he will be more than alright without Jive. He’s a true and natural talent, his voice is just out of this world! I don’t know what’s up with jive but it’s their loss. They should have trust in him more and promote his music properly. But like someone else said here, maybe they kept him controlled in favor of someone else.
Anyway, I think it’s a good for his carrier that he and jive ended things.
He has all the support from his fans no matter what!

lloyd

Posted at 7:55 AM on February 19, 2011

It’s funny how most of his “fans” can’t write very good English here — poor grammar, bad spelling, and lousy punctuation. What does that say about his “fans”?? LOL!

Trish Rogers

Posted at 10:13 AM on February 19, 2011

It means that David has large following from Asia and many of his fans speak English as a second language. David has touched fans worldwide.

DominDis

Posted at 3:18 PM on February 19, 2011

I agree with you Trish. He is big in Asia. I’m a Filipino and his fan base here is huge. I dunno what lloyd wants to point out.

jason

Posted at 3:21 AM on February 19, 2011

I know I’m going to get zinged for this…but it would help if:
1) he didn’t look so gay as to make a lesbian look straight
2) he didn’t look like he was 12 (which in the long run is a good thing. we all want to look young)

Let’s face it. The market is owned by the empty headed 10-16 year old girl crowd. They are dumber than dirt but will spend tons of cash for a hot album.

you’re right. he was marketed all wrong. his stuff should have been played in gay bars.

lloyd

Posted at 7:27 AM on February 19, 2011

His “stuff” IS played in gay bars! LOL!

prd9601

Posted at 2:42 AM on February 19, 2011

David Archuleta is a wonderful vocal talent and an even better person. I was confused by the non-promotion of David’s second pop offering by Jive Records after the strong sales of his initial record and his seasonal release ‘Christmas From The Heart’. I truly believe with David’s A&R rep leaving Jive along with many others including the label president, this Sony imprint just did not know what to do with David as he does not fit well with their current roster. David was not ‘dropped’ but ‘released’. He provided Jive with the three CD’s he was contracted for. Perhaps a label such as Decca Records (Universal) would be a better fit. Best of luck to a great vocalist. Onward and upward David!

Archie Fan

Posted at 1:47 AM on February 19, 2011

Wow…you hit the nail on the head! At the same time the radio stations continued to enthusiastically sponsor his concerts and radio promo appearances, I was told by radio PD’s & DJ’s that “they were not playing his songs.” I always thought that was odd and kind of hypocritical. The radio stations he visited were crazy about him & his music…I personally attended many of these events. There is a definite disconnect here! This amazingly talented artist & his music should have been promoted to the hilt! Maybe now he can move on and finally get the recognition he deserves. In the meantime, good riddance Jive!

Shanny in Australia

Posted at 1:13 AM on February 19, 2011

David not producing enough? Not a chance. This guy has produced 3 albums in 3 years. Written a best selling book, done numerous tours, appearances and charity work. His latest offering The Other Side Of Down is a fabulous album that he helped to write 10 of the 12 songs for and every review I have seen of the album says it is better than his first. David not producing enough is just a joke. We know it’s lack of promotion. Don’t know what Jive was up to there, lets give them a huge dose of the benefit of the doubt and say ‘Maybe it’s due to all their internal problems and recent shake up with the execs’. That is about the only moral argument that can be put forth on Jive’s account.

Charlotte888

Posted at 9:05 PM on February 18, 2011

No big surprise here, regrettably. But it may be the best thing for his career.

Ciara said a few days ago, “I spent tens of thousands of my own money only to hear the radio PDs tell me my label didn’t want the song played”.

And this is exactly what Archuleta fans were told by the PDs immediately post-”Crush” and for two years. Fans were told “Oh, we can’t play that” by the radio stations, no matter how large the number of requests, for any other single after “Crush”.

Admittedly, not every subsequent single was radio friendly, but some absolutely were.

While a big hit in numerous places overseas where Archuleta is a big star and played along side the best known American acts, and despite fervent and pro-active fan support for him here, Archie couldn’t get airplay in America because his label didn’t want it.

If he could be a hit in other countries with multiple top singles (and he was) the same could occur in the States. But the label had other ideas.

Did they sign Archie in May 2008 the night of the “American Idol” finals to make him a star, or keep him controlled in favor of Cook or someone or something else? Who’s to say as to the reasoning.

But Ciara has had a similar experience with Jive.

Are the rumors true that Jive’s really melting down from the inside? One can only wonder.

lloyd

Posted at 8:44 PM on February 18, 2011

He ought to brush those bright yellow teeth!

drob18

Posted at 1:07 AM on February 19, 2011

Your an idiot!

lloyd

Posted at 6:54 AM on February 19, 2011

Didn’t you learn the difference between “your” and “you’re” when you went to school? LOL!

KT

Posted at 12:00 PM on February 19, 2011

I’ll help drob18 out by saying this…YOU’RE an idiot lloyd. Now go find something less pathetic to do than writing comments on someone you obviously don’t like.

asmiralda

Posted at 9:29 PM on February 27, 2011

This guy (Lloyd) really needs to visit the eye doctor (Opthalmologist). Something is definitely wrong with his eyes. David is famous of his mega watts smile, and his pearly white teeth. What is this guy up to? just to aggravate David’s fans?? What an idiot!!!!

Jane C

Posted at 8:23 PM on February 18, 2011

Lets face it he is another Idol spit out. Unfortunately he is small in statute so I don’t think he will ever really take off (no pun intended). He should be lucky that he had the break he did. Now send him back to making all that great chocolate, Willy misses him dearly.

loveydovey

Posted at 9:46 PM on February 18, 2011

You’re just a bit mean and cruel. I’m not a David Archuleta fan, but you don’t have to say those things. Act like a lady, not a stupid woman.

lloyd

Posted at 7:09 AM on February 19, 2011

You probably meant to say he is small in STATURE … “statute” means “law”… “stature” means SIZE.

DominDis

Posted at 3:22 PM on February 19, 2011

Talino mo LLOYD tangina mo ka! Did you get that? that’s the beauty of us having English as our second language. haha

erika

Posted at 11:55 PM on February 21, 2011

Good for him…he does’nt know what you mean!haha! Tanga, boboo, akala mo kung sino sya!

galey

Posted at 11:21 AM on February 19, 2011

What the heck does “stature” have to do with it – look at Bieber, talk about small, they don’t come much tinier and he’s a hit among other tiny people both in stature and/or mind! Of course he had Usher to promote him, much to his benefit. David has talent and jsut needs good promotion.

VJ

Posted at 8:14 PM on February 18, 2011

Awww, thank you. And his fanbase agrees. “The Other Side of Down” is an AWESOME album that never stood a chance because it wasn’t marketed properly! Very frustrating! And David really hasn’t been promoted since the debut of Crush 2 years ago. I don’t think JIVE ever really “got” him, but his amazing fanbase still does. And we’re behind him all the way, just waiting for the next step in his career.