Kirstin Says: Is 'American Idol' Star Thia Megia The New Charice?

Fri, February 18, 2011 1:01am EDT by 138 Comments

Charice will always be “the most talented girl in the world,” but is American Idol‘s Thia Megia right on her heels? I think so…

It’s not just that American Idol stand out Thia Megia LOOKS eerily similar to super star (and fellow Filipina) Charice…she SOUNDS like her too. After watching Hollywood Week’s solo auditions Feb. 17, I was struck by the many similarities between the two young artists. I hope Thia has half of Charice’s success!

Since singing Adele‘s “Chasing Pavements” at the Milwaukee auditions, Thia — a 15-year-old Redwood City, California native — has been a stand out in the competition. She has the same quiet confidence I’ve loved all these years in Charice.

Jennifer Lopez raved after Thia’s first audition, telling her, “I love you. I think you’re the total package. You’re very comfortable up there.”

I wasn’t sure Thia had made it past the group auditions, but was tickled to death when she showed up during the solos to sing a chill-inducing version of “What a Wonderful World.” The judges loved it and the other contestants went wild.

Much like Charice made her way through the reality TV circuit before truly hitting it big, this isn’t Thia’s first time at the rodeo. In 2009, when she was 14-years-old, Thia competed on America’s Got Talent, but got eliminated early on in the competition. Although I don’t know she’ll ever shine brighter than Charice, perhaps American Idol is finally Thia’s chance to break out. What do YOU think?

Loading video...
Loading video...

UPDATE: Thanks, Chasters for your help! Turns out Charice and Thia are actually friends who met through David Foster. How cool! Maybe Charice will come out and support Thia during live performances if she makes it to the top.

Love American Idol? Get more here!

benny

Posted at 1:53 PM on March 2, 2011

Songs that Thia can sing well, Charice probably couldn’t and vice versa….they are in totally different genres of music and style.

I like them equally in their own zone.

benny

Posted at 1:38 PM on March 2, 2011

Thia is a totally different singer with a different voice, she’s more of a soulful singer, they are very different open up your ears.

JD

Posted at 2:15 AM on February 27, 2011

She is ok but she is no Charice. Charice, grabs you on the first note and the rest is history.

Amelinda

Posted at 5:01 AM on March 10, 2011

I agree, Charice’s voice is more powerful than Thia’s, and I can actually feel the song from Charice. I hate that just because they’re both Filipinas people automatically start to compare them together, even when their styles are completely different. Also, I don’t know Thia outside from AI, but find her incredibly boring on the show, almost like she has zero personality.

BeckyM

Posted at 9:57 PM on February 26, 2011

Thia is a great talent too I guess. Thank God for young ones oozing with so much real talents and has the courage to share and flaunt, (for I know how hard it is to flung yourself in the cruelty of showbiz) so this world will really have a chance to listen and behold to what real music is. I support Thia, way to go girl. Heard too and I’m glad she is a friend to Charice.
beccha05,( a proud fan and supporter of Charice )

cuteyub

Posted at 1:27 PM on February 26, 2011

i heard thia megia and charice are good friends,

that alone, i’ll support thia,

but i think she deserves to be recognized

because she also has a talent knowing that she’s only 15,

i think all the filipinos can sing,

thanks 4 supporting charice,

if you want to watch charice’s performance

where she didn’t just HIT

but she sustained 13 seconds of high notes,

here’s the link guys

to watch it in auto-play mode, thanks

milesaway

Posted at 7:17 AM on February 26, 2011

All I can say is that they are both talented,Thia actually looked up to Charice.And I’m sure that Charice will definitely support Thia as she tries to reach her dream.

aahhhaaaa

Posted at 1:37 AM on February 26, 2011

@AEvangelista

I have some homework for you.

1)Look at the mirror. What do you see?
2)Next, sing your favorite song. What do you hear?
3)Then, go to Echo Valley of Sagada in the Philippines and shout just once each of these: “short” “ugly” “charity case” and wait for the feedback of the mountains. Be sure to count how many times the words echo back to you. Optional word to shout: “crab”
4) Lastly, talk to yourself and give an honest to goodness assessment of your being, body and soul.

ton

Posted at 1:32 AM on February 26, 2011

no need to compare charice is still the best if you’ve seen a lot of charice videos the goosebumps standing ovations and the uncomparable belting high notes beyond perfection, thia is a good singer i wish her all the best hope she will win

kakawati1000

Posted at 1:15 AM on February 26, 2011

Sorry Kristin .

Thia is not at all in the league of CHARICE .

That would be blasphemy . Just listen . Really . !

goldie

Posted at 7:27 PM on February 25, 2011

I think Thia and Charice shouldn’t be compared. Although, they are both Filipina but their singing techniques seems different. They are both great in their own ways. Charice has made her way and got very lucky to be noticed by the most influencial people in the world and Thia is still making her own way to be noticed by the American voters of AI and hopefully she’ll get the American’s approval to be their idol. She’s talented and she has still a lot to offer. Let’s give a chance for this young girl to shine.

Allan

Posted at 7:27 AM on February 25, 2011

Thia’s voice is different from Charice,,, Thia is more classy while charice is Ballad… Im rooting for thia because Im not in glass breaking voices like Charice…

Hans

Posted at 7:34 PM on February 24, 2011

One thing about Charice that makes her stand out is her fearlessness in attacking a difficult song…she has so much passion and heart because she suffered from having had a hard life and it shows in her singing.

Thia, on the other hand, is a nice singer but having grown up in America with a privileged life, I don’t really ‘feel’ her passion in her singing. She’s just blah!

jay

Posted at 11:28 PM on March 5, 2011

I think Charice sings amazingly, but she over-does it for me. I think she tries too hard to pull-off the 90s diva style that was so prevalent in Whitney, Mariah and Celine that she doesn’t really have anything that’s quite unique about her. All great singers don’t need to be so overdone. I don’t think it’s “passion and heart” that you’re seeing in Charice (although I’m sure she has those traits). What you’re seeing is the influence of her handlers telling her to copy Whitney, Mariah and Celine. Oh, and Charice is NOT pretty at all, which is probably why she’s over-compensating by over-singing all the time.

Thia, on the other hand, is pure. She’s got her work cut out for her, but she doesn’t need to jerk around the stage or go overboard on riffs and runs to make it known that she’s got a pretty amazing voice.

sifufor

Posted at 6:50 PM on February 24, 2011

Thia should not be compared to Charice. No one is like Charice, past or present, and I don’t think there will be another Charice.

Thia has the voice and talent to make it big on her own. She is gorgeous with a pleasant stage presence. One day she will be a superstar, not as another Charice, but as Thia Megia.

Thai Mei Xu

Posted at 3:53 PM on March 8, 2011

Nicely put, thank you

keith

Posted at 9:06 AM on February 24, 2011

Charice hit & sustained

13 seconds of high notes

at the end of this song:

josh

Posted at 3:37 PM on February 22, 2011

her voice doesn’t wow or give me chills just another regular okay singer.

myinkheart4

Posted at 10:07 AM on February 22, 2011

I have yet to really listen to Thia but I find it easy to think that Charice will be happy for whatever Thia will achieve. Charice has always been generous and supportive of other artists from her country. And I think she thinks that there’s enough room for more talented artists who want to make it big. This is one reason I love Charice, she’s never afraid to be a fan or an admirer of other talents – she believes enough in herself to be able to appreciate others.

KC

Posted at 10:01 PM on February 28, 2011

i’m with you! maybe not the NEXT CHARICE… Thia for sure would rather be known as the NEXT AMERICAN IDOL! I mean, for sure no one would want to place in a shadow of someone else and be known and tagged by someone else’s name, right?

woowweer

Posted at 11:35 PM on March 1, 2011

i agree with you.., because charice is very humble!

minty710

Posted at 9:04 AM on February 21, 2011

Thia’s okay. I don’t know much about her yet…I still much prefer Charice. There’s just something about Charice’s voice that I love. I didn’t use to like her, or more like I didn’t really care for her. I love her now even though I don’t really know how that happened ^^;. As for Thia…I don’t know…her voice just isn’t that pleasant to my ears…I still wish her the best though…

AEvangelista

Posted at 11:23 PM on February 20, 2011

Let me admit that I am a Charice hater. But let me tell you why. I’m actually older than Whitney Houston. So I was around when she burst onto the scene. She was incredible and beautiful. The same can be said for Mariah Carey. So I don’t think it’s so unreasonable to expect a Philippine Whitney to be just as pretty. Charice is so short and so ugly, it’s time to send her home. I don’t like her tone, or expression, or mannerisms either. Besides, what does Oprah know about music? She knows more about fat than she knows about music.

Robert

Posted at 1:57 AM on February 21, 2011

You seem to know more about being an ignorant b*tch than someone who has a valid opinion…

Fly N Dance

Posted at 2:19 AM on February 21, 2011

wow you are really a hater. which is quite sad for u. to think u wasted ur time to actually comment in here.
so pathetic..legends in the us has so much praises for charice. they are actually the ones who brought charice to us for her to share her talent to the world.

hello

Posted at 4:30 AM on February 21, 2011

AEvangelista<—-hahaha poor loser…you're really screwed you up…

Streetcred

Posted at 4:33 AM on February 21, 2011

@AEvangelista — You older than Whitney?!? You’re an OLD HATER of an 18-year old Charice?!? You sad, old scrooge… My goodness, the things you say — it saddens me that you ‘might’ have children and godchildren to influence…

precious

Posted at 6:17 AM on February 21, 2011

A Evangelista ITs about singing not only good but great….its nothing to do with looks..Maybe you are jealous because you are older now ang Charice is so young and fresh and pretty…

ayumi

Posted at 7:27 AM on February 21, 2011

how cruel of you, are you that beautiful and had a great voice wtf are u talking about looozer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

srfnsnw85

Posted at 3:51 PM on February 22, 2011

u admit ur older than Whitney Houston (47yo)so ur menopausal transition period in a woman’s life when her ovaries stop producing eggs, her body produces less estrogen and progesterone, and menstruation becomes less frequent, eventually stopping altogether. then u know what u should Grow Up!!!

elise

Posted at 11:40 AM on February 25, 2011

AElista what so ever…before u question Oprah why dont you ask yourself who you are? i supposed ur the regular 25?30$?40? an hour employee who knows nothing much bout music either. pity u. ul die hating Charice.

elise

Posted at 12:04 PM on February 25, 2011

thia can sing and beautiful than charice physically but for me Charice is way better. i dont get goosebumps when i listen to thia sing. unlike when i first saw charice in oprah omg a week i had no sleep hoping to hear her sing again. i think there is a big difference between the two but anyhow i still hope Thia would win the contest.

AEvangelista

Posted at 8:51 AM on February 23, 2011

For the record, I’m male. I don’t think a female would be so cruel. But I’m glad Charice has dedicated fans, however delusional I think you are.

Streetcred

Posted at 4:09 PM on February 23, 2011

You’re an old MAN ‘hating’ on an 18 year old girl?!? Scrooge, for real. You need some help, sir.

Duh

Posted at 7:52 AM on February 24, 2011

AEvangelista…an old man hating an 18 year old girl. I think you need to growup girl. Such a pity, an old man acting and thinking like a 15 year old bitchy girl. Maybe you are jealous that you are not pretty and talented as Charice is.

hello

Posted at 9:38 AM on February 24, 2011

AEvangelista<—-a male animal? LOL…

John

Posted at 10:43 AM on February 24, 2011

I bet you’re gay (nothing wrong with that) and a Queen. A delusional Whitney Queen, at that.

AEvangelistaShit

Posted at 2:50 PM on February 24, 2011

AEvangelista… you are even proud to tell that you are an old man bashing and hating a very young girl. My goodness Charice can even be a granddaugther to you. Why don’t you set an example to younger generations? Grow up little sissy. Don’t act as if you are 15 year old bitchy girl getting jealous because you are not pretty and talented as Charice is.

srfnsnw85

Posted at 10:26 PM on February 24, 2011

oh ok u should have never said ur a male LMAO!!! I mayb delusional but for ur age u r one sad, pathetic, ignorant old tranny. U should look at ur self in d mirror n ask ur self ” why am i such a loser?” an older male talking trash about an 18yo and oprah one of the most powerful woman in the world. still LMAO an old old MALE

Silla

Posted at 9:29 PM on March 2, 2011

You think Charice isn’t as physically pretty as Whitney or Mariah but it’s not her fault your now just an old bitch with erectile dysfunction. You’re to old to be lusting after current pop stars. The opinions of people like you are only taken as words of a bitter aging man. What does Oprah know about music? Maybe nothing but unlike you, she has the fan base and money to make a difference.

jacob

Posted at 11:26 AM on February 24, 2011

what an insecure! hope you wake up tomorrow morning and find yourself in libya or darfur!!!

anitako

Posted at 8:53 PM on February 25, 2011

AEvangelista ur poohmouth stinks as ur butt! i guess ur much uglier than charice. u stinker in this world.keep ur foulmouth to urself and dont spread ur evil opinion as self-destruction to urself. u just did a self infliction by being a devil in this world. a devil in this world isnt welcome anymore!

Mom

Posted at 1:03 AM on February 26, 2011

Charice is o amazing she is the most talented girl in the world I’ve ever heard.. haters eat your pride k

skazy

Posted at 1:22 AM on February 26, 2011

I don’t care that you hate Charice, you can hate as much as you want, your hate will consume you from within leaving you emotionally drained and unstable and physically weak. I am a big Fan of Charice and I do not waste time criticizing or pulling down any artist or any person whom I do not like or care for. I am surprised that you took the time to pull down somebody when you could have spent it promoting your favorite artist.

skazy

Posted at 1:34 AM on February 26, 2011

my comment was for Evangelista

Queena

Posted at 1:38 AM on February 26, 2011

AEvangelista,
I’m so sorry that you have so much hate in your heart. I hope that you could post your own picture, so that you can prove to us how BEAUTIFUL you are. Maybe then we can accept that you’re statement about Cha is valid.
Since you admitted that you are old, I am equally sorry that your age is wasted on you because as my Grandma (you could be a grandma now) is always telling me “wisdom comes with age” but you are not wise. Remember, do unto others…….

KC

Posted at 10:07 PM on February 28, 2011

guys, calm down… this dude is like a virus! what’s funny about him is that on every Charice’s forum and videos in YouTube, his comments are mostly present! so i don’t know if he really a hater or an avid viewer! i mean, if you are a hater… you would not rather see and read about that person that you hated the most, right? this guy made my day! he made me laugh! LOL

lj4155

Posted at 3:41 AM on March 2, 2011

i think you need help because you’re very sick. your brain must be examined thoroughly before you make another stupid comment.

benny

Posted at 1:43 PM on March 2, 2011

for an adult you sure talk like a 10 year old child…my god, you talk as if you’re hot and beautiful. I think you just hate her and jealous of her talent. Shame on you.

NOLI

Posted at 10:47 AM on March 3, 2011

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CHARICE. YOU IDIOT.LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING , I’VE SEEN HER CONCERT AND ITS’ A SOLD OUT.

marky

Posted at 1:25 AM on February 20, 2011

i’m sorry but she’s a NO-NO for me, still charice is the best, only charice can give me goosebumps, can make me applaud alone, can make my heart beats super fast, and I think Charice’s rivalry in singing was not born yet

jo

Posted at 1:04 PM on February 19, 2011

She don’t have a jaw dropping performance and dont destroy like Charice. She has her own unique style and matters a lot in this business. Hope she make it to the finals.

AEvangelistadiota

Posted at 10:29 AM on February 19, 2011

@AEvangelista should look at her idol ‘rachel ann go’ first before she had surgery before critizing charice’s physical appearance. just saying!

Streetcred

Posted at 3:44 AM on February 19, 2011

Thia Megia. Maria Aragon. Who’s next? Charice is now the “measuring stick” for all these up-n-coming Asian singers… Why? coz she’s AMAAZING. coz she’s MADE it. coz she DESERVES it. ;)

AEvangelista

Posted at 12:33 AM on February 19, 2011

Charice is short and ugly. Thia looks ok. I’ll take Thia over Charice any day. Charice is just a charity case for Ellen, Oprah and David Foster. She doesn’t deserve anything that’s come her way. My favorite girl singer in the Philippines is Rachelle Ann Go. There are many over there I prefer over Charice.

hello

Posted at 12:42 AM on February 19, 2011

AEvangelista<—loser like ogiediaz from PI tabloid…

vegemite

Posted at 2:07 AM on February 19, 2011

definitely no vegemites for you

Mari

Posted at 2:24 AM on February 19, 2011

@AEvangelista. you don’t even know what your saying. who cares if your favorite singer is rachelle ann go. just support your idol and leave charice alone with your non sense comments.. your so pathetic you even waste your time here.

AEvangelista

Posted at 3:19 AM on February 19, 2011

Arnel Pineda was selected by Journey to lead them. That is legitimate and wonderful. Charice gets stuff handed to her for free because she’s a charity case. There have been other Filipinas on Idol like Jasmine Trias and Ramiele Malubay, and they came before Charice showed up. We don’t need Charice.

Streetcred

Posted at 3:35 AM on February 19, 2011

So Arnel gets a ‘hand’ from one of the biggest rock bands in the world, and it’s “legitimate” and “wonderful” to you — yet Charice gets a ‘hand’ from Oprah, and she’s immediately a “charity case”… ? Oh, jealousy…

Mari

Posted at 4:17 AM on February 19, 2011

AEvangelista —I don’t get what your trying to accomplish by saying “charice is a charity case” Is that your criteria in choosing an artist to support? You will love an artist because of their talent, am I not right? I bet you like rachelle ann go because you find her talented..
I’m starting to think that I am talking to a 10 year old here…..

guys wag ng patulan to… wala lang mapapala.

krakkers

Posted at 5:16 AM on February 19, 2011

If Charice really is a charity case of Oprah, she would’ve have just handed her some cash as help then sent her on her way to the Philippines. A few hundred or thousand bucks is small change to a $2+ billion fortune. But what did Oprah do? She made Charice work for her dream. Sure, she might have “helped” a little, but who gets on that stage to perform? Charice, not Oprah.

Some people tend to forget that Oprah is a businesswoman first and foremost. You don’t get to have that much fortune and influence by being easily swayed by sob stories. Fact is, she saw talent in Charice and thought of her as a good investment.

So just because Ramiele Malubay and Jasmine Trias gained some sort of AI recognition, that means there’s no more room for more Filipinos to gain success abroad? I bet you wouldn’t be saying that if your beloved Rachelle Ann Go was in Charice’s shoes instead. :)))

ykiop

Posted at 6:05 AM on February 19, 2011

Why are you all talking like Charice is a huge celebrity? I mean she is just like a class D celebrity.. She is not even mainstream and to be honest she doesn’t have the charisma/xfactor to be one maybe at The Philippines but not here (come on Lady Gaga? Taylor Swift? it’s too hard for a minority to be one). She should do Broadway or just come back to the Philippines where she is treated like a God. I think she will be more successful in those path.

…and also IT IS A THIA MEGIA ARTICLE so stop commenting solely about Charice.

Mari

Posted at 2:31 AM on February 19, 2011

@AEvangelista – you don’t even know what your saying, who cares if your favorite singer is rachelle ann go. just support your idol & leave charice alone with your non-sense comments. your so pathetic.

Streetcred

Posted at 3:31 AM on February 19, 2011

The notion that Charice was somehow just a “charity case” for Oprah and David Foster is very popular among the most ignorant of people. It wreaks envy, jealousy and straight up haterism. A once-in-a-lifetime “jumpstart” is what Oprah provided Charice. But once the curtains have opened and the lights have turned on, WHO’s on that stage WOW-ing crowds with her once-in-a-generation type of VOICE?!? Who’s the one getting STANDING OVATIONS from anywhere on the planet–even with all the ‘great expectations’ surrounding her? Who continues to RISE to greater heights despite all the HATE from her own countrymen…?

OneFlip

Posted at 4:44 AM on February 19, 2011

AEvangelista is clearly one of those all-too-familiar, shameless creatures who measure “talent” based on physical attributes. Thus s/he began his/her comment with “Charice is short and ugly.”

If we accept that his/her comments have merit and how s/he measures talent is how the entertainment industry does it, then there would be no Sammy Davis’s and Dionne Warwick’s of the entertainment world.

I certainly hope AEvangelista is one good-looking s.o.b. Otherwise, one would think her derogatory comments here simply are a reflection of his/her own ugliness. In other words, her criticism of Charice’s shortcomings may turn out to be nothing more than hatred of his/her own self.

Crazy…

AEvangelistadiota

Posted at 10:25 AM on February 19, 2011

you’d rather support thia who doesn’t pay pi taxes & don’t give a damn about philippines than your fellow citizen charice. you’re one of pinoys who easily claimed other people as your own, born and raised in the usa & canada, doesn’t speak the language than your own pinoy charice. something wrong with filipino people’s mentality here. what happen to beautiful artists in the philippines? they’re stucked in the philippines bcoz their talents are just not unique like charice. LOL

Dexter Chaster

Posted at 9:19 PM on February 19, 2011

Rachelle ann go is a Horrible singer gosh i wonder what makes you think she’s a better singer than Charice , some filipinos are fucking idiot always trying to bring their own countrymen because of jealousy and insecurity perhaps that’s the reason why your country is fucked up and full of shit ! Good thing theirs Charice who always make your asses proud..shame on you philippinos…

AEvangelistaShit

Posted at 2:55 PM on February 24, 2011

AEvangelista… hey crab, I bet you want to put make up on Charice, fix her hair and dress her up.

skazy

Posted at 1:44 AM on February 26, 2011

@AEvangelista…..I vote for Charice any day. If you think that Charice got to where she is today because it was just handed to her for free YOU MUST BE DELUSIONAL, she worked hard for it, give her some credit.

Piyem

Posted at 12:23 AM on March 3, 2011

@AEvangelista: Charice is one million times better than Rachelle Anne Go. Do me a favor, visit any drug store & get some ear wax remover to clean out the stinking wax polluting your F–cking ears!

Yojan

Posted at 9:25 PM on February 18, 2011

I don’t see much resemblance physically. They are both of Filipino descent & both have big voices, but the similarities end there.

fritz

Posted at 7:11 PM on February 18, 2011

CHARICE opened the doors for Filipino singers…

Much like Manny Pacquiao for Filipino boxers..

Charice is something else. Destinesd to be a legend given what she already accomplished at 18. This girl truly is outstanding!

Listening blows you away …immediately !