The Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled nearly 2 million of the monitors, saying the electrical cords can be dangerous to your baby. Do you have one?
Another baby product has been deemed unsafe. Two million Summer Infant video baby monitors were recalled after they were linked to the strangulation deaths of two infants. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the electrical cords on these products can be dangerous when left to close to a baby’s crib. Learn how to keep your child safe!
Since 2004, seven children have strangled on cords placed too close to their cribs. According to the commission, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C. died in March when she got tangled in the cord of a monitor placed on the top rail of her crib. In November, a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C. was strangled on an electrical cord of a monitor on the changing table attached to his crib. In Pittsburgh, a 20-month-old boy came close to dying after he was caught in a camera cord that was mounted on the wall.
“I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least three feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib,” Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum advises. “This simple step can save your child’s life.” More than 1.5 million of these monitors, representing more than 40 different models, have been recalled by Summer Infant. The company also will provide new warning labels and instructions about monitor placement on each item. The monitors were sold between 2003 and 2011 by retailers nationwide.
For more information on model numbers of recalled monitors, contact Summer Infant at 800-426-8627.