Learn more about the lady who had the biggest upset of the night in the ‘Best New Artist’ category!
Most people watching the 53rd Grammy Awards were shocked when Esperanza Spalding walked away with the “Best New Artist” statue over more established nominees such as Drake and Justin Bieber. But the 26-year-old jazz musician has earned a lot of respect in the recording industry. This bassist and singer made a lot of waves during the Feb. 13 ceremony, and we have six facts you may have not known about this rising star!
1) She was inspired to become a musician after seeing Yo-Yo Ma perform on Mister Rodgers’ Neighborhood when she was four years old.
2) She has played with Stevie Wonder and Prince, and was even selected to play during a Prince tribute at the 2010 BET Awards.
3) She became the youngest faculty member ever at Berklee College of Music when she was 20.
4) She is one of President Obama’s favorite musicians and has played at the White House twice.
5) She was prominently featured in a Banana Republic national marketing campaign.
6) She is most likely enemy number one for Bieber fans everywhere. Just for tonight though.