Bethenny Frankel Bashes Public Breastfeeding — What’s Your Take On The Topic?

Fri, February 11, 2011 11:44am EST by 14 Comments

Unless you’re a Baywatch babe, Bethenny wants you to keep your boobs to yourself. Do you agree? Vote!

Even though the reality TV star breastfeeds her 8-month-old daughter Bryn — and loves it — she thinks nursing in public is inappropriate and should be kept private. “I think, unless you are Pamela Anderson, you shouldn’t be showing anyone your breasts besides your husband and your baby,” Bethenny tells Rachael Ray. Do you agree?

Woman gets kicked out of a store for breastfeeding in public

Although Bethenny got a round of applause from some of Rachael’s audience members, others weren’t too impressed by her comment. We’re positive the angry Canadian moms, who staged a breastfeeding protest in a local mall, would be outraged also! But, Bethenny did make some good points as she explained herself. “I think you should find a corner, or there is always a back room, I just think it makes other people uncomfortable,” says Bethenny. “When you are a mother you think everyone is ‘in on’ what you’re ‘in on’, but they’re not. “

Breastfeeding is best, says Surgeon General

“Definitely breastfeed and do things your own way, but in that one way, I would keep it a little bit private,” she says, adding, “Whipping out your boob at the dinner table is a good diet tip for everyone else.”

How do you feel, HollyMoms, about Bethenny wanting you to keep it private?

–Leigh Blickley

lGet more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

jill

Posted at 9:40 PM on December 12, 2012

Breastfeeding is just feeding. It is the most natural thing in the world. I have EE breasts and I can publicly breastfeed without a cover and without showing the world my breast. I don’t put a blanket overmyself because I have nothing to hide and no one at the mall has ever seen my nipples. This war needs to stop. We don’t debate endlessly about teenage girls in low cut tops but we get enraged about women feeding their children. This is madness.

Lobo

Posted at 10:12 AM on February 19, 2011

It surely does not bother me to see a mother breastfeed in public as long as she is covering herself. It is natural and should NEVER bother anyone. BUT IF I were a woman, I would probably do it privately, just out of modesty I suppose. Not sure, as I will never be a woman, so hard to call that one. LOL If the baby is hungry, though, feed them! I think we make way too much about this. If you don’t like to see it, don’t look.

Rachel a.c.

Posted at 5:54 PM on February 14, 2011

Wear a cover-up and you can breastfeeding anywhere you want. I breastfed each of my four kids till they were about a year old. I didn’t let my titties hang out there because I still wanted to have decent conversations without the person feeling any bit uncomfortable.

Jenna

Posted at 11:13 AM on February 14, 2011

Bethany, I agree. Not sure why asking someone to put a cover over their bare breast is such a big deal—what happened to modesty? Breastfeeding mothers, are you content to have your tit hanging out in public? Why would you want the general public to be viewing you in such an intimate moment in public, much less at the dinner table?

JENSPAL

Posted at 12:47 PM on February 13, 2011

I adore Bethanny, love her show but oooh Lordy I sooo disagree with her statement about breastfeeding in public. God gave women breasts so they could feed their babies, anytime, anywhere. Men turned it into a sexual thing. Breast feeding mothers should not worry about how it makes other people feel. They shouldn’t be treated as an outcast for feeding their baby in public. I find her comments odd since we all saw her run around naked on her own show, pregnant skinny dipping, showering, peeing in a bucket on her wedding day, etc. I think those things would make people more uncomfortable than seeing a baby receive lunch from it’s mothers’ breast. The comment Ashley made about women should go to the restroom to breast feed is disgusting. #1, would YOU want to eat your lunch in the bathroom?? Why not? Because it smells in there, there are germs everywhere and it’s just flat out gross! Why expect a baby to eat their lunch in the bathroom then? The next time a woman decides to breastfeed her baby while you’re trying to eat, why not take YOUR lunch to the bathroom and eat it in there so the baby can eat in peace. Seeing a 3 year old with a bottle in public makes me uncomfortable but bottom line is it’s none of my business. I certainly don’t expect the parents to care how it makes me feel when I see their toddler with a bottle in their mouth nor would I ever suggest the parents of the toddler take them to a bathroom to drink it. I really wish people would stop making such a big deal out of public breast feeding and see it as God intended.

Ashley

Posted at 11:53 AM on February 14, 2011

Honestly did you not read what I said at all? You assume that when I say go to the bathroom to feed your baby that I mean take your lunch? At any point in my comments did I say such a thing? no I did not. I think it is inappropriate to breastfeed your child in public with no cover whatsoever. Thats my opinion. Honestly I see nothing wrong with pumping your milk into a bottle just in case your baby is hungry while you are out. It is not going to hinder the bonding experience you have with your child and it is still breast milk. End of story.

Lisa

Posted at 10:47 PM on March 9, 2011

Jenspals comments are insightful and to the point. All I can say is if anyone is a prospective parent read up about the importance of breastfeeding your infant. You will be providing your child with an incredible immune system! At the same time saving yourself and your child from the time consuming, stressful bevy of childhood infections–such as advanced flus that turn into chronic ear infections. Often the child has to get tubes put in their ears to combat the problem, then they often have delayed speech due to the hearing being impaired by all the ear infections…etc,etc. I will never forget one uninformed and vain mom’s comment to me about why she stopped short with breastfeeding: “I wanted my life back, it wasn’t for me.” WHAT??? She lives in a mansion, a young heiress who did not have to work…It wasn’t for me??? It was all about you!!! In any event, many Americans have been ingrained with an uptight and are frankly ignorant of what breasts main purpose is. Would a baby cow thrive optimally on human milk that is mixed with malodextrin (corn syrup) and other artificial ingredients???

Lisa

Posted at 10:47 PM on March 9, 2011

Ashley

Posted at 2:47 PM on February 12, 2011

A couple of comments:
1. she is right…women who just whip out their breast in public are wrong. They should go to the rest room at least because it makes others feel less uncomfortable and honestly it shouldn’t be done at the dinner table in public.

2. Phoebe…if you actually read what this woman had to say you would recognize that she did not say to use clean and sterile bottles, she said to go to a private area so that you can have that moment to breast feed.

3. deani…if you watched her drink beer then you would know that she did so at the advice of her baby’s caregiver who suggested the beer to help the flow of breast milk. she was in no way chugging beers…simply having some to increase flow.

In closing if you are going to make a comment about an issue…actually know what you’re talking about instead of spewing bullcrap from your mouth.

Cody

Posted at 4:33 AM on February 26, 2011

Take your own advice, and don’t write about something you know nothing about. Caregiver or not, beer is not the proper way to increase milk flow! There are safe and natural herbal supplements for that: caraway, fennel, anise, nettle among others, as well as medication that can be safely prescribed by your Dr.

Breasts are for nursing! If you don’t like it, don’t look, or have a change of attitude. Don’t harp on other women who want to offer their children the best form of nutrition.

Think before you mock nature, you selfish, stuck-up prude.

deani

Posted at 2:36 AM on February 12, 2011

this woman is a flipping idiot…..this is the same damn woman that drank beer while she is breastfeeding her daughter…and shes spewing at the mouth about this????? someone should report her dumbass for drinking alcohol while she was breastfeeding…it was on her show…i know i seen it…and shes bragged about having it…she just needs to shut her yap

Phoebe

Posted at 9:49 PM on February 11, 2011

Bethenny’s an idiot, if my baby is hungry i am going to feed her wherever I like. Why spend precious time cleaning and sterilizing bottles when your baby can have it no fuss from the tap.

If people are uncomfortable then that’s their problem and THEY should look the other way.

rachel s

Posted at 9:08 PM on February 11, 2011

I am 100% all for breastfeeding, but agree with Bethenny. Women that breastfeed often times make other people feel uncomfortable in public, because breasts tend to be so sexualized in our country. It shouldn’t have to be this way, but unfortunately it is. Breastfeeding cover ups are great.

suezq

Posted at 12:11 PM on February 11, 2011

If you, don’t want to “see” it, then turn and look the other way!!!! This baby is hungry! your lucky u can drink water, what about, this baby next to YOU??