Pregnant Woman Mistakenly Given Abortion Drug By Her Pharmacist! OMG! How Could This Happen?

Thu, February 10, 2011 10:05am EDT by 7 Comments

Is this your worst nightmare HollyMoms-to-be? Now the woman fears that the drug error will cause her to miscarry.

This is the mother of all mix-ups. Six weeks pregnant Mareena Silva of Colorado claims that a pharmacist at Safeway grocery store in her hometown of Fort Lupton gave her an abortion drug rather than the antibiotic she was prescribed. Now, she, as well as doctors are concerned that the pill will cause her to miscarry. How does this even happen? So horrible. HollyMoms, what would you do?

Father puts infant in the freezer after smoking meth. Heartbreaking.

Mareena, 19, took methotrexate, which is used in chemotherapy and also to terminate early-stage pregnancies. Mareena only took one pill, but after feeling sick, she was rushed to the emergency room, where it was discovered she was given the wrong medication. Doctors say that she may either miscarry the baby or have a child born with birth defects. There is no good news in this situation. And all because a pharmacist didn’t do her job correctly.

“We have extended our sincere apologies to Ms. Silva and offered to pay any medical expenses incurred as a result of the prescription error,” Safeway said in a statement. “We understand the anxiety this has caused and the difficulty of Ms. Silva’s situation.”

Another woman kills her child — what is making these mothers snap?

Safeway’s statement also explained that pharmacy’s policies and procedures were not followed and that the company is redoubling efforts to make sure this kind of medical error never happens again. Those policies include asking a patient twice his/her full name and double-checking their date of birth.

Mareena has moved out of her apartment and is not answering media questions at this time due to advice from her attorney. HollyMoms, what would you do if you were facing this situation?

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

ddos vps

Posted at 3:15 AM on August 5, 2013

Good answers in return of this matter with solid arguments and explaining all concerning that.|

rachel s

Posted at 9:14 PM on February 11, 2011

better to be safe than sorry. I’m sure she could have checked what the pill should of looked like on an online pill checker. But whose thinks to do that?

Courtney

Posted at 1:19 PM on February 10, 2011

easy the pharmacist couldn’t decipher the doctors hand writting so the preciption was filled incorrectly. mistakes like that happen more often than you think

olivia

Posted at 10:21 PM on February 10, 2011

@courtney…real prescriptions are not scribbled hand writing on a note pad like in the movies lol it actually comes with a REAL document stating the medication. Also I think it is kind of odd that she was “accidentaly” given an abortion pill? Thinkit might be a little deeper than that. Anyway I hope the idiot worker reaps what she sows.

Stefani

Posted at 12:20 AM on February 11, 2011

I agree, it probably was a little deeper than that because it’s no coincidence that a 6 week pregnant teenager was given abortion medication – especially if she looked younger.

Amanda

Posted at 10:37 AM on February 11, 2011

That’s not entirely accurate. When I go visit my doctor, she gives me prescriptions the way you’re referring to–typed out on an actual document. However, when I go to the hospital–they actually use a prescription pad and scribble the prescriptions very quickly. It’s not just in the movies.

chicken

Posted at 10:57 AM on February 11, 2011

my prescriptions are always hand written…I’ve never received anything different. However shouldn’t the mother double check her meds (I always do) especially if she is pregnant!!!!!

I am 39 weeks and I have never taken any meds during my pregnancy..better safe than sorry in my perspective!!