LAURA'S LOVE ADVICE: How Young Is TOO Young To Tie The Knot? Dianna Agron & Her 20-Year-Old BF Alex Pettyfer Are Reportedly Engaged!

Fri, February 4, 2011 10:57am EST by 12 Comments
PacificCoastNews.com

24-year-old Glee starlet Dianna is allegedly engaged — and her fiance isn’t even old enough to legally drink! Will age be a problem when it comes to the longevity of their relationship?

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Quinn in baby in a baby carriage! This is reportedly the road that Glee starlet Dianna Agron, 24, and her 20-year-old boyfriend Alex Pettyfer are headed down…but how can the couple even begin to think about marriage when he’s practically still a baby himself?

The two have allegedly been engaged for months after Dianna stripped her I Am Number Four co-sar of his player ways. “The second he fell for Dianna, Alex changed,” a source reports. “He stopped seeing other girls and is absolutely head over heels.”

As true as that may be, can Alex possibly be feeling something that isn’t puppy love? It’s a known fact that men mature at a slower rate than women do, and when you factor in that the boy isn’t even legally able to go to bars with Dianna…well, the situation is just a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

There is a small success rate for college romances to survive, so I can’t say that all young love marriages won’t work out — but these kids are in Hollywood, the land of temptation and quickie divorces. They’re both on the cusp of becoming huge stars, which may cause problems when besotted fans or sexy co-stars come a’callin’.

Alex and Dianna are only an example. I don’t believe that anyone should get married before they fully know who they are, what they want from life and are at a place where they believe they can achieve it. When you’re young, you’re still figuring things out — and that’s OK. But when you add marriage into the mix, you’re not giving yourself a fair shot to find out who you can be without a partner — you have to constantly be thinking of someone else’s welfare.

I know it sounds terrible, but when you’re young BE SELFISH. Allow yourself the time to figure out what YOU want. If your boyfriend is still around a few years down the line when that happens, then he really IS the one for you. Remember this saying: if you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it’s yours…and if it doesn’t, it never was.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

gay brian

Posted at 7:00 PM on March 5, 2011

IT’S HIS PERSONALITY NOT HIS AGE…

I guess their relationship wasn’t very stable because everyone knows by now that they’re broken up and he’s now rumored to be obsessed with her.

But I just wanted to add that I don’t really see the difference between a 24yo girl and a 20yo guy. I think they’re like 3 1/2 years apart which isn’t really anything.

They are both in the same stage of their lives called YOUNG ADULTHOOD. So I don’t see how he couldn’t have possibly been ready for marriage but she could just because she’s a tiny bit older??? LOL! Makes no sense.

The reason they broke up is because he’s a controlling jealous douch and she got out before it was too late. NOT because he’s too young. Whether he’s 20 or 30 he’s still going to have that personality unless he starts to make some serious changed.

Cristy

Posted at 6:52 PM on March 5, 2011

“but how can the couple even begin to think about marriage when he’s practically still a baby himself?”

UMMMMM….NO. He’s not a baby at all. In fact, he looks a little older than her. She has a very fresh faced look.

At 20 years old he’s certainly not a kid anymore. He’s still a young MAN but a man no less. And 20 versus 24 is not much of an age difference. So it’s not like she’s twice his age and so much more mature. It’s only 4 years difference!

Lin

Posted at 6:59 AM on February 6, 2011

He is 20 years old, NOT 10!!! My granddaughter and her now husband got married when they were both 18 and their now five-year-old marriage is a success! This is a ridiculous article. Some people are never ready for marriage, not when they are 30 or 40 years old. Others ARE ready at age 20.

Thomas Dischinger

Posted at 2:17 AM on February 6, 2011

First of all they didn’t talk about marriage or being engaged, that was a rumor made up by journalists.

Secondly, both of them don’t like their private lifes to be publicly discussed. And I think that’s a good point. Why has this to be publicly discussed ? Do you also discuss the private life of your grocer, doctor, hairdresser, butcher, lawyer etc. in public ? Why don’t you get your own life instead of discussing their private lives ? I think everybody should have a right of some privacy !

Thirdly, Alex Pettyfer doesn’t drink any alcohol at all (even in countries where he is allowed to). Therefore the legal drinking age is not exactly relevant for him.

Fourthly, Alex Pettyfer is not a party animal but more an outdoor type who prefers to be in the nature instead of getting drunk in a bar.

Fifthly, Alex Pettyfer is not exactly an average 20 year old. Even when he was 15, everybody had the impression that he was extremely mature for his age.

Sixthly, you can perhaps say that statistically young love doesn’t last very long. But that isn’t exactly a predestination for individuals. Important is how their personalities fit together and whether they are mature enough to groom their love even when the “love makes blind” effect fades away and they’ll experience that their partner also might have sides they don’t like that much.

StrangeLove

Posted at 11:59 AM on February 5, 2011

Beautiful people, but god they look like they could be brother and sister! eek!

Zippy

Posted at 9:49 AM on February 5, 2011

What does the fact he can’t go to bars with have to do with it?! Is that the only reason they can’t be engaged (which I don’t believe tbh). Another year woulnd’t make it any better for him to be engaged! Wow. :/
But people, regardless of sex, mature at different ages. 20 is not that young to be engaged. Not ideal for everyone though. Their life. If it fails, then it fails.

Misha

Posted at 12:49 PM on February 4, 2011

I can totally see where you are coming from, because I would have had the same theory about two years ago…

But, I am four years older then my husband who I met when he was 20. I almost didn’t date him because he was young and I have this thing about dating younger people…well I used too. My husband is beyond mature for his age and pursued me endlessly. Luckily for me, I’ve had a few LONG relationships and was able to decipher love and lust and know exactly that what I had been wanting/waiting for was right here. Despite the age, we are perfect for one another…

If this couple is in love, then that is awesome! If its a big mistake, then so be it. Isn’t love about taking chances?

Kobra Kid

Posted at 12:27 PM on February 4, 2011

If Alex & Dianna are engaged then I’m happy for them!!!!! Who cares what people think or say about this relationship! The only people they should care about is their families & each other :) So let the Haters & PR romance idiots hate all they want!!!!!!! Love doesn’t have an age limit!!!!!!!!!! Alex & Dianna Forever!!!!!!!!!

Jill

Posted at 12:24 PM on February 4, 2011

I agree with Donna. I got pregnant at 20. I was with my then boyfriend for only a few months. 10 years later, we are happily married and great parents to our wonderful 9 year old son. Things can work out, no matter what age. I think some people give up to early in a relationship these days and aren’t in it for the long haul.

PR romance

Posted at 11:48 AM on February 4, 2011

they are not engaged, their reps alredy debunked the story.
and this is just PR showmance for the movie, because this story leaked so close to the movie premier.

donna

Posted at 11:12 AM on February 4, 2011

I really think you guys need to stop judging if someone is to young to get married. I got married at 18 and we are still married 12 1/2 years later. Marrying young, can and does work.

Sascha

Posted at 12:23 PM on February 4, 2011

Agreed. I was 20 when I got married, my husband was 24. 13 1/2 years and 3 kids later we are still totally in love. When you find that right person you just know. Oh, and we are also from the Hollywood area.