Kirstin Says: I Found My Two Favorite 'Idol' Boys & Fell In Love In Austin!

Thu, February 3, 2011 12:44am EDT by 6 Comments

American Idol auditions in Austin started out rough, but then we met my new favorite guys, John Wayne Schultz and Casey Abrams!

Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson made a huge fuss over all the talent in Austin, Texas during American Idol auditions Feb. 2, but no one stood out to me as much as my two new loves, John Wayne Schultz and Casey Abrams! As different as night and day, Casey and John struck a chord in me for different reasons.

A true Texas boy, John, 23, was named after Hollywood’s #1 cowboy, John Wayne, and auditioned for Idol after promising his mother he would when she was ill two years ago. He won me over with his charming smile, humble attitude and heart warming rendition of Brooks and Dunn‘s “Believe It.”

‘[I like American Idol because it] “gives opportunity to your small town kiddos,” John’s dad told Ryan Seacrest as his son was wowing the judges inside the audition.

How sweet is that? I wanted to give John’s sweet country parents a big hug. Aww, shucks.

After John, no one pulled at my heart strings again until the end of the episode when we met Casey Abrams.  At first when I saw Casey, I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to laugh or change the channel. There was something obnoxious about the 19-year-old musician — he was both pretentious and uncomfortable. When he said he’d been waiting for this audition his whole life, I was 100% confident it was going to be another “Like a Virgin” situation.

Boy was I wrong. Casey Abrams, 19, has a soulful voice like that of my former favorite, Mr. Taylor Hicks. He might look like Seth Rogen, but Casey — a film camp employee — has the voice of B.B. King. He’s phenomenal and also my new favorite guy in American Idol season 10!

Who were YOUR favorites in Austin? Sound off below!

Casey Abrams’ AI audition:

Loading video...

Casey Abrams singing “L-O-V-E”:

Loading video...

Love Idol? Click here!

nanlu

Posted at 5:36 PM on February 19, 2011

really like all the judges this year.,,.,.,,.and really like Casey from CA /// good talent and hard to pick a front runner as of yet….

simonsays

Posted at 2:41 PM on February 3, 2011

They were both awesome! I’m loving this season of AI!

jello

Posted at 2:05 PM on February 3, 2011

I can’t imagine anyone in the music industry watching John Wayne Schulz and not being completely repulsed. Today’s music market is all about sex, drugs, and flamboyant, trend-setting behavior. As a pot-smoking, coke-snorting gay man proud to flaunt his sexuality, Adam Lambert represents all that is great and good about American pop music. HIs iconic AMA performance simulating gay sex will be remembered long after people like John Wayne Schulz and Kris Allen are forgotton. They are throwbacks to the dark days of the 1950s that celebrated repressive middle class values such as hard work, honesty, morality, responsibility, humility, religious faith, and devotion to family. There is no place for these values into today’s music market. Which explains why a singer like Miley Cyrus is working so hard to change her image from sweet young girl to a rebellious, sexual young woman now that she has outgrown her Disney years. If Idol continues to allow people like John Wayne Shulz into the competition, the show will rapidly descend into utter irrelevancy in the music marketplace.

nanlu

Posted at 12:13 PM on February 3, 2011

I enjoyed them too…..Taylor Hicks was fun to watch and i liked him….Iwonder what he is doing these days …dont see any info….Looks like a good idol season…..

Nancy

Posted at 7:45 AM on February 3, 2011

i agree 100%! i felt the same way: liked jw also (and his folks), but casey blew me away! i was an avid taylor fan, and casey is next am idol!

Illinois Boy

Posted at 2:18 AM on February 3, 2011

Above you wrote:

A true Texas boy, John, 23, was named after Hollywood’s #1 cowboy, John Wayne, and auditioned for Idol after promising his mother he would when she was ill two years ago. He won me over with his charming smile, humble attitude and heart warming rendition of Brooks and Dunn’s “Believe It.”

The title to Brookes and Dunn’s song is “I Believe” not “Believe It”