Levi Johnston Didn't Give Bristol Palin Permission To Take Baby Tripp To Arizona, Says His Attorney—EXCLUSIVE!

Tue, January 25, 2011 5:00pm EDT by 18 Comments
Getty Images

Levi Johnston is not an absentee dad and he’s fighting to get his son back, his attorney, Rex Butler, tells HollyBaby.com exclusively.

There are two sides to every story, and the one Levi Johnston‘s attorney is presenting in response to Bristol Palin‘s claims Levi is an absentee father is very different from what Bristol is saying! “[Bristol] is trying to give a smokescreen that Levi does not want to see his son,” Levi’s attorney, Rex Butler tells HollyBaby.com exclusively. “He has been more than gracious in requesting to see his son, and he has said on numerous occasions ‘I want to see him’, and she will say ‘I am out of town’.”

Why it’s a bad idea for Bristol to ask Levi to give up his parental rights

Rex went on to say, “[Levi] usually doesn’t know where Tripp is when she takes him out of town.”

As for 20-year-old Bristol’s recent move to Maricopa, AZ., which is a suburb of Phoenix, Levi found out when the rest of the world did. “She never officially asked Levi if it was OK to go ahead and move to Arizona,” Rex says.

According to family lawyer Vikki Ziegler, Bristol broke the law by making the move without Levi’s approval. “Whenever you have joint custody you need a court order or parent consent—otherwise it’s a violation of the law,” she tells HollyBaby.com.

Bristol dropped the bombshell that she wanted Levi to give up his parental rights during an appearance on KWHL’s The Bob & Mark Show last Friday (Jan. 21). “It’s unfortunate for Tripp,” she says, adding that when she asked Levi to sign over his parental rights, he has refused the offer. “Have I asked him to change Tripp’s last name? Yeah of course,” Bristol said.“I’ve asked him to do that many times—just sign over your (parental) rights. He just doesn’t want to sign them over because it looks bad on paper.”

Is Tripp becoming a Palin?

It is looking like this is going to be a long court case, too as Levi, 20, is in no way willing to sign over his parental rights to their 2-year-old son! “There will be no consideration whatsoever to sign over parental rights,” Rex explains. “She has done everything she can to disrupt him seeing his son and these matters will be resolved in a normal way, in the courts.”

But experts warn that Bristol’s decisions now will have serious and lasting affects on Tripp. “It’s bad for a child to not have a relationship with the father,” says marriage, family and child therapist Dr. Jenn Berman. “Kids who spend time bonding with their dads do better with cognitive development and IQ tests. That’s a fact.”

–Chris Spargo

Check out more from our BFFs at Glamour.com!

1. Glamour’s Extra-Hot, Extra-Juicy Guy Survey: 1,000 Men Confess…
  2. Hair Ideas: 10 Hairstyles Men Love
  3. Spring 2011’s Most Wearable Fashion Trends
  4. 10 Things Guys Want from Women (Besides Sex)

geile muschi

Posted at 2:02 PM on July 7, 2012

Hi, I think that I saw you visited my website thus I came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Maggie

Posted at 5:02 PM on January 29, 2011

The polls all show that the majority of people think that Bristol is wrong to change the baby’s last name without Levi’s permission ; that it is wrong for her to go on the talk shows and the tabloids to bad mouth Levi; that it was wrong to buy a house in Arizona without letting Levi know that she planned on taking Tripp to live there; and that it was even wrong for her to encourage her mom’s fans to cheat on the voting system so that she was a finalist on Dancing with the Stars. The college students in Missouri feel strongly that Bristol is more interested in making money for her speeches rather than giving a truthful message. We will never know if Bristol became greedy because she saw how easy it was to be a grifter–or if she was a nice girl until she was encouraged by her family to become a celebrity and earn millions. The twenty year old girl we now read about in the tabloids seems very selfish and self centered and immature–possessing all the traits that she has criticized Levi for. We can only feel sorry for little Tripp–he is being used like a pawn to get even with Levi and his family and also as a cash cow for getting the Palins even more attention and money. It looks like Sarah saw what Kate Gosselin was doing with her eight and decided that she could do even better.

hunterpi

Posted at 11:39 PM on January 27, 2011

Having read my last comment, I realized that I make it sound like only one side of a custody battle lies. That is not what I intend to say. Often it is from both sides. But, it is an unfortunate situation that in many cases one party will lie through their teeth to hurt the other at the expense of the child.
I am not saying that Bristol is the only numnut in this situation. Levi Johnston is also an immature idiot that needs to man the hell up.
But, do to the previous actions of Bristol and the Palin breud, I would not put anything past them. I truly believe that there is nothing they won’t do to get their way.
I do of course realize that since Sarah Palin has the Alaska courts in her pocket, even if Bristol has removed the child from the state illegally, the court will do nothing, which is not uncommon.
However, not that Bristol cares, but, with the right judge, if it is found that she has done wrong, she could lose custody of her son and custodial interference across state lines can be a felony. Of course I’m sure her mother has her attroney hard at work on the case.

Fawn

Posted at 10:28 PM on January 27, 2011

Bristol certainly does not sound any better than Levi. Bristol and Sarah have a reputation for twisting the facts–Levi may have a lot of faults but he is more believable than these two. I believe Levi’s attorney–what Bristol and Sarah say when they call in to the Bob and Mark Show is not the truth. What Sarah writes on her Facebook and Twitter accounts is coming from professional writers. Reagan would be embarrassed about the foul language that Sarah uses and he would agree with what many in his family think–he would not endorse someone who is a liar and quitter and is only interested in money and celebrity status. The Republicans and Tea Party need to find a way to get untangled from the family of grifters and leeches.

Hunterpi

Posted at 1:49 AM on January 27, 2011

Two things:
A) I have investigated hundreds of custody cases and actually about 50% are cases where the women holds the child away from the father and then accuses the father of anything and everything. I am just surprised that she hasn’t gotten around to accusing him of abuse yet. This is a common tactic now in child custody cases. In the cases where I investigated accusations of abuse in a custody case, about 25% were outright lies and 15-20% were over embellished. This is very bad for 2 reasons: 1)Parents are so busy trying to hurt one another that they don’t care about the pain they cause their child. 2)It makes us question every abuse alligation with scrutiny, even though they may be true. So, ladies, when you make a real accusation of abuse or neglect and are scrutinized by everyone, thank those that are making the fake allegations for endangering you or your child.
B)The Palin family has a serious credibility problem, especially Bristol and her mom. They have said too many things that can easily be proven to be lies and although they visciously attack anyone in their way, they call anyone that disagrees with haters.

Frankly, with everything that I have heard come out of BP’s own mouth and her own actions and her own writings and that of her families, I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out of her mouth.

Pam

Posted at 8:32 PM on January 25, 2011

Oh Miss Pandora.
You are so funny. If you could comprehend what you read. You would understand what was written. I was pointing out, how well a child can develop. With Out a Father. Bristol doesn’t have to alienate Levi from Tripp. Levi has chosen to do this himself. He has basicly cut himself off from Tripp. The only time it is convenient for Levi to have a child. Publicity. He must have something coming up. Bristol has said she is glad Levi has a girlfriend. The girlfriend loves Tripp, & encourages Levi to get him more often. Levi sets up a time to get Tripp. Then he cancels. This has been proven. Levi has admitted to this. One time he wanted to go hunting. Great Dad….NOT
Pandora, You sound like a bitter person. Get over it. This is just gossip. By the way. I am very well educated, & I like living in my Tiny Personal Bubble……Have a good evening……..Life is good…..

IslandinTexas

Posted at 7:34 PM on January 25, 2011

I completely agree Pandora. I never comment on blogs but this girl is completely trying to cut him (levi) out because she is “done” with him and most likely still hurting over him. It so so unfair for the child to be caught in the power problems of the mother. Happens everyday. I am not saying he is father of the year, but clearly she is being manipulative. She is acting like any other woman that trys this same crap with their kid’s dad but she actually has the means to achieve it.

Cabo520

Posted at 6:19 PM on January 25, 2011

So family and child therapist Dr. Jenn Berman says, “Kids who spend time bonding with their dads do better with cognitive development and IQ tests. That’s a fact.” So where is the discussion about all the African American kids who are fatherless. The percentage of these fatherless kids far outweighs any other race in America. Yes, kids need two parents a father and a mother.
Levi has basically walked out the door, then expects to come back in the door to be Dad when it suites him. Where is Levi’s support? Look at Todd Palin with his support to Sarah.

pandora

Posted at 6:15 PM on January 25, 2011

Pam, This article was NOT about you. It’s about an obvious case of “parental alientation”. Bristol is purposely trying to cut her son’s father out of his life, because SHE is through with Levi. She’s a selfish, horrible person. Parental alienation happens every day and is against the law, not to mention immoral and sociopathic. Look it up and become educated outside of your tiny, personal bubble.

Cabo520

Posted at 6:22 PM on January 25, 2011

Levi should get a job close to his son. Then his argument would have substance.

MTC

Posted at 8:13 PM on January 25, 2011

Why? BRISTOL wanted to move from Alaska not Levi, the only thing he needs to do is notify the judge she is out of compliance with the custody order.

Pam

Posted at 6:03 PM on January 25, 2011

You go Bristol. Levi has never been that involved w/Tripp. Not saying he doesn’t care about him. Levi has never really shown that much interest. He’s more interested in pursuing what ever it is he does. Bristol move to AZ to go to school. Good for her. No Judge is going to do any thing to her for this. She will probably have to pay (out of her pocket) for Tripp to go back to Alaska to see Levi. The house she bought is a good investment.
I have to disagree w/Dr. Berman. Children do better w/congnitive development & IQ tests. My daughter never had a relationship w/her father. He walked out when she was 2 1/2. She has & always has been very well adjusted. Has 4 different degrees. Hard worker. Great Mom. Straight A’s, At’s all through school. College At-Bt.
I never lied to her about any thing. Never made out like I was perfect & he was wrong. Never tried to keep them apart.He never tried to see her. She saw him the day of her 20th BD.She tried to have a relationship. Didn’t work. She will tell you “He came. I saw. I was unimpressed”. I stayed out of it. This was her choice. Never said an unkind word. Never. Still won’t. I wanted it to work. It just didn’t.
Now, I will say. She had a wonderful relationship w/my Daddy. She has always had a wonderful relationship w/her step-father. As far as she is concerned This is her Daddy. I will say w/two great guys in her life. This could have had something to do w/her having a high IQ, & being so well adjusted. Especially w/her stepdaddy being her “real dad”. Her words not mine.
I wish Bristol all the luck in the world. Levi needs to grow up.

oh dear

Posted at 6:27 PM on January 25, 2011

so your child did have a father figure in her life, it just happened to be her stepdad.

Pam

Posted at 8:51 PM on January 25, 2011

Oh dear. This is what I pointd out. With my Dad, & her stepdad. These relationships could have had an impact on her. There could be a link to what the Dr. is saying. I just don’t put alot of emphasis on what she is saying.
We never refer to him as stepdad. He is Daddy.
I was just really trying to say. Levi is not active in Tripp’s life. He should make a decision about this. Be there 110%. Or, out 100%. He has said in interviews. He will cancel. One time to go hunting. I saw this one. They both are immature. They both have alot of growing up to do. They will work it out. I just hope it’s the correct decision.

oh dear

Posted at 7:23 AM on January 26, 2011

ah got you :)

Kathy

Posted at 11:01 AM on January 27, 2011

Maybe someday down the road, if Bristol marries and there is a stepfather in the picture, it might be best for Levi to relinquish his rights. But right now, to ask him to sign away his son and change his name to Palin is ridiculous. I just hope that Tripp isn’t thrown into the middle of a bad situation and used as a pawn to get at each other. He deserves to be loved by all of them. My daughter’s ex is an irresponsible jerk, but he loves my granddaughter and she loves him so we will show him respect and never say a negative word about him. He is her father.

Kathy

Posted at 8:01 PM on January 25, 2011

How do you know that Levi has never tried to spend time with his son? I’ve heard just the opposite, that whenever he tried, he got the brush-off from the Palins. Unless you have first hand knowledge of what has gone on the past two years, you really don’t have any room to make a judgement. I’d like to see this little boy be able to have a relationship with both of his parents. Levi and Bristol both have a lot of growing up to do.

MTC

Posted at 8:15 PM on January 25, 2011

No Bristol needs to grow up, she is acting like a bratty teenager. SHE can get Levi out of her life but NOT his son. I can’t WAIT until the courts come after her and saying she now lives in AZ is a moot point.