Gwyneth Paltrow Let Apple Skip School For A Day Of Beauty — Tiger Mom, Amy Chua, Would Be Mortified!

Thu, January 20, 2011 1:16pm EDT by 6 Comments

Can you believe Gwyneth let her 6-year-old have a ‘sick’ day from school so they could bond? This is exactly why Tiger Mom, Amy Chua, says Western moms are bad.

After lecturing parents about her hectic life as a working mom, which includes “weekly hair blow outs” and “hour-long workouts,” Gwyneth Paltrow now admits that she doesn’t always set the best example for her two kids with Coldplay‘s Chris MartinApple, 6, and Moses, 4. The Country Strong star confessed that she let Apple take a “sickie” from school so that she could spend time with her at the beauty salon. Is this okay?

Gwyneth had postpartum depression

“I’ll probably get kicked out of our school for admitting this, but I let Apple stay home yesterday. I just needed to be with her,” Gwyneth says in an interview with Good Housekeeping. “We went out to lunch, we went to the beauty salon, we were together.” Interesting. How did little brother Moses feel about this all-girls field trip? Not so surprisingly, he wasn’t a happy camper, so Gwyneth promised him a “sickie” as well. Great, is this going to become a common event, Gwyneth?

The 38-year-old admitted to being unhappy about Apple ratting out their secret getaway to her little brother. It must be hard being a celebrity, flying around constantly, going from job to job, but kids need order and discipline and they need to go to school. Just because you miss them doesn’t mean you should encourage them to play hooky for a day of pampering!

Check out these beautifully dressed bumps at past Golden Globes!

Gwyneth admits that she struggles with this. She recently took Apple and Moses to Hong Kong, where she was working, but tried to imply that it was a rich cultural experience for the kids.  She says, “I do feel so guilty and, like, ‘What am I doing?’ ‘But I also want them to know work is really fun for me – ‘Hey, look what I get to do!’ As opposed to feeling like, ‘Oh, I’m a terrible mother’. Because that really just doesn’t get you anywhere. It doesn’t get them anywhere.” We don’t think you’re a bad mom, Gwyn, but if you continue keeping your kids out of school, we just might have a change of heart.

Angelina Jolie credits Brad Pitt for keeping her balanced

And Gwyneth admits that she comes ‘this close’ to being a pushover. Hmm… “I’m in a battle right now because Apple doesn’t like to go to gymnastics,” she explains. “When she’s crying about it, I just want to scoop her up and say, ‘Forget it. Let’s go get an ice cream.’ But you can’t do that, of course. That’s something my father taught me. You need to be accountable, and you need to be responsible. You need to honor your commitments.” I completely agree and I’m sure Tiger Mom, Amy Chua, would too. Although, she definitely wouldn’t agree with manis and pedis during school hours!

HollyMoms, do you ever let your kids skip school when they’re not sick?

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend
us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Elaine

Posted at 10:18 PM on January 23, 2011

So what? Seriously, if this was a habit then I would say that is crazy but it is ONE day. I have a favorite memory where my mom and I were not getting along, I was always stressed about school and everything and one day my mom came to get me out of school in the morning for a “dentist appointment” in reality she took me to the beach. It was great! It was just me and my mom enjoying the day and she told me how it was good to keep on my goals but I needed to destress sometimes and take things as they come. It was great.

Xantha

Posted at 11:58 PM on January 20, 2011

Who cares? It’s her child and if she wanted to spend time with her then good for her! Its not like her child is going to never go to school again and become a drop out. Get over it.

Susan

Posted at 11:19 PM on January 20, 2011

So what? Who cares what Tiger Mom thinks? If Tiger Mom wants to run her kids into the ground turning them into flashcard spouting automatons, so be it. It’s just one more way that women tear each other down and it’s silly. You never hear men doing this each other. If she wants to take her kid to lunch, big deal. Quit being judgemental because I guarantee you that all your mommy friends talk about you and your parenting the minute you turn your back.

chris

Posted at 5:09 PM on January 20, 2011

my 3 1/2 year old has never missed a day of school. and unless he gets sick he is only missing one for his yearly dr. check up. in my opinion it is stupid to give them the day off to just goof off at home or go to the salon. especially at that age. all it is going to teach them is that if they don’t feel like going to school today because there is something cooler to do they can just take a “sickie”. totally irresponsible.

brittbritt

Posted at 8:54 AM on April 24, 2011

totally agree, with everything you said! my cousin took sickies in school and then as an adult (thinking its normal) took sickies from work and ended up getting fired!

Courtney

Posted at 3:19 PM on January 20, 2011

as long as this isn’t a recurring thing it doesn’t hurt Apple in the slightest to skip school for a day of beauty